Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Chill vibe, fantastic song, sublime video

I could see this in my top 10 or even top 5 one day (currently El Mañana, Empire Ants, Hong Kong, Every Planet We Reach and uhhhhh idk gotta think about what else)

The preview for the next song sounds great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't watched the video yet. The song's good but I feel like it's building up to a climax that never comes. It left me feeling a bit deflated.

I'll probably prefer it on repeat listens though.

e: Interesting that the Youtube version is nearly two minutes longer than the actual track. It looks like they had more video than song to work with so they repeated a bit to act as a long outro.

I like it, I'd have preferred that on the actual track.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 27, 2020

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

stev posted:

I haven't watched the video yet. The song's good but I feel like it's building up to a climax that never comes. It left me feeling a bit deflated.

I'll probably prefer it on repeat listens though.

e: Interesting that the Youtube version is nearly two minutes longer than the actual track. It looks like they had more video than song to work with so they repeated a bit to act as a long outro.

I like it, I'd have preferred that on the actual track.
count me as another who prefers the video version of the song. Really like both the song and video

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Video is definitely good. I kind of like how they're all picking off something of Murdoc's ensemble in the video. Weird rear end meta building here we go again

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First listen: yeah, this is definitely pretty good

Second listen: wow this will never leave my head

Re: video version vs. audio version chat, I think the main difference is the extended intro, and the outro someone else mentioned

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 28, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
was thinking to myself "it's weird that 2D knows french" right before he pulled out the dictionary

albarn's croon is a good fit for the language

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

These 2 songs have been really good and the next one looks cool too. If this is Gorillaz going forward I'm all for it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how this is being funded since there's no album to buy and no tour to get tickets for. I doubt a drip feed of YouTube revenue and streaming fees will be enough to cover the production of a new song and video every month.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stev posted:

I wonder how this is being funded since there's no album to buy and no tour to get tickets for. I doubt a drip feed of YouTube revenue and streaming fees will be enough to cover the production of a new song and video every month.

maybe he's just making music to make music you ever think about that??????

oh look a bridge

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

stev posted:

I'm sure stuff like their recent G Shock sponsor work went towards this. Probably see more brand stuff like that in the future.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can't even buy the mp3 off of Amazon, and my torrent site doesn't even have it for download. This is bullshit Gorillaz! I don't want to stream!

I'm assuming this gets put on a compilation later, but still.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I can't get this song out of my head, it's so goddamn good.

I kept singing the title, so it got stuck in my wife's head too. But she started singing "Fish filet..." and god drat it, now that's stuck in my head!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXloFW_ZCA

New one just dropped. Easily my favorite the new batch.

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXloFW_ZCA

New one just dropped. Easily my favorite the new batch.
Yeah, this song was great.

I think they might actually be circling back round to some lore again, too (I wonder if it's gonna turn out that's not Murdoc on the back of that bike - just for a change). It's me, the guy who cares about Gorillaz lore.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Peter Hook baby, almost sounds like a proper New Order song. All 3 of these have been great!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, this song was great.

I think they might actually be circling back round to some lore again, too (I wonder if it's gonna turn out that's not Murdoc on the back of that bike - just for a change). It's me, the guy who cares about Gorillaz lore.

Does Gorillaz have actual lore outside of the little ARG things they do? What are the implications of Murdoc holding that syringe at the end? I assume it's related to Noodle being worried about 2D, like Murdoc is drugging him or something?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Murdoc and 2D hate each other.

2D was never happier than in the Humility video when Murdoc was in jail. Russ even trips him as he rollerblades because he's upset that 2D is so happy.

In Murdoc's address to everyone about corona (yes, this is a thing) he named himself, Noodle, Russell and "the other one."

I think that's all it is.

Also, something about 2D's eyes are white now instead of black? I think that's a lore thing too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

robot roll call posted:

Peter Hook baby, almost sounds like a proper New Order song. All 3 of these have been great!

Does Gorillaz have actual lore outside of the little ARG things they do? What are the implications of Murdoc holding that syringe at the end? I assume it's related to Noodle being worried about 2D, like Murdoc is drugging him or something?

Yes Gorillaz has plenty of lore(and notably occurs in real time), though most of it is centered in the first three "Phases"*, Phase 4 has been fairly light on especially significant lore

*these correspond more or less to a specific album or set of albums;

Phase 1: Self-Titled, G-Sides, and Laika Come Home

Phase 2: Demon Days, D-Sides, and the book Rise of The Ogre(long out of print but it's pretty easy to find scans of it online)

Phase 3: Plastic Beach, The Fall, and the various songs uncollected in album form(and indeed often don't have an official release at all) from this period that sometimes get collectively referred to as "Sea-Sides" by the fans(especially since there's been several fan made compliations that use that name or something similar)

Phase 4: Humanz, The Now Now, and Song Machine

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

robot roll call posted:

yes, though it was probably heaviest back in the Demon Days era, and kind of stopped after Plastic Beach gently caress they even got an autobiography of the band published

also I guess I have to ask what sort of ARG things are you talking about. they used to have some really fun websites back in the day full of flash stuff and easter eggs

Nanigans posted:

Murdoc and 2D hate each other.

eh, its supposed to have mostly level off after the Now Now, the weirdest thing about the entire video is just Murdoc doing nothing but smiling srerenely the etnire time

its just so...not Murdoc

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

also I guess I have to ask what sort of ARG things are you talking about. they used to have some really fun websites back in the day full of flash stuff and easter eggs

Yeah, that's what I meant, all the websites and social media posts and stuff.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

the gist of the lore I think is that it doesn't matter and canon is whatever Jamie wants it to be at any given moment

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The people who are into the lore the most all seem to be 14 year olds on reddit and in the youtube comments which is mind boggling to me because they weren’t even born when demon days came out wtf

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I remember when the first album came out and the virtual studio flash website was fuckin sickkkkk

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I still remember when Toonami did a special late night event where they showed the first couple music videos for Gorillaz as well as Daft Punk's Interstella 555

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

The people who are into the lore the most all seem to be 14 year olds on reddit and in the youtube comments which is mind boggling to me because they weren’t even born when demon days came out wtf
people who weren't even alive when Rise of the Ogre came out being the vocal minority who is super deep into Gorillaz lore fucks me up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I remember when the first album came out and the virtual studio flash website was fuckin sickkkkk

Yeah it was fire

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To put things into context, I'm 29, my birthday is only about 11 days before the date Noodle's birthday is on(Halloween 1990), it was kinda surreal around the time Phase 4 promotional material started coming out that I realized that Gorillaz occur in Real Time in spite of being cartoon people, and that Noodle was in fact the same age as me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

To put things into context, I'm 29, my birthday is only about 11 days before the date Noodle's birthday is on(Halloween 1990), it was kinda surreal around the time Phase 4 promotional material started coming out that I realized that Gorillaz occur in Real Time in spite of being cartoon people, and that Noodle was in fact the same age as me

lol i had that same exact experience

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

New track dropped. Looks like it was intended to be a future Song Machine episode but they released it today because Tony Allen passed.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

new song is incredible, my favorite song machine track so far.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

robot roll call posted:

I don't know but my first reaction was that I hope Damon isn't using again because 2020 has been bad enough already.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I ordered the limited edition of this today:

https://z2comics.com/products/gorillaz-almanac

Looks cool, and I love coffee table books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nanigans posted:

I ordered the limited edition of this today:

https://z2comics.com/products/gorillaz-almanac

Looks cool, and I love coffee table books.

Nice, and it comes with the Song Machine season 1 CD. Ordered too :h:

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

spent $200 on a book that'll come with songs I'll have already heard by the time it comes out smh

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
$200?

Did you get the super limited edition?

By the way, I love how Murdoc made sure their signatures went in order: Murdoc, Russell, Noodle, 2D lol

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Nanigans posted:

$200?

Did you get the super limited edition?

By the way, I love how Murdoc made sure their signatures went in order: Murdoc, Russell, Noodle, 2D lol
Yeah I snagged the super deluxe before it sold out

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The CD has 10 tracks. That means that season 1 of Song Machine is either going to be 10 songs, or 9 songs plus the Song Machine theme tune.

On the other hand the fact that it’s called Season 1 means they can do this again next year 😻

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I missed that it came with the CD, and I want those songs in a better form than YouTube mp3s. Ordered the $25 one, nice and cheap shipping, $3 instead of $15 like I was expecting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

The CD has 10 tracks. That means that season 1 of Song Machine is either going to be 10 songs, or 9 songs plus the Song Machine theme tune.

On the other hand the fact that it’s called Season 1 means they can do this again next year 😻

Or it includes Machine Bitez and we've already had all the tracks.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Announced for Primavera Sound 2021. Already had tickets for 2020 that got rolled over, so pretty happy with this addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

new song out tomorrow - Friday 13th ft. Octavian