Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Haven't got time for 160 new posts but I thought this was out tomorrow? I was still wrapping up all the pre-expansion off-map missions and just finished the zoo last night!

It was supposed to be out today for PC and tomorrow for consoles I think but it kind of just went live - NY is pretty cool, only done 1 control point and some events near the drone guy safe house but I like the gear changes a lot, even a dummy like me can figure out how it works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Game is absolutely stupid gorgeous and nyc is full of secrets and fun things to find. I haven’t gotten very far at all because I keep getting off the beaten path. Heavily rewarded.

Which one is the nut cracker?

I’m hosed:

Also, cluster seekers at max skill tier with mods (sound on):

https://i.imgur.com/OHcgZLL.mp4

The changes have made making a build much easier. No more red/blue/yellow reqs for talents means everything is easy and despite having fewer actual talents, it’s easier to have a much more diverse build. They’ve also fully simplified the skill and armor mods to the point that you’re no longer inundated with a backpack full of mods you may or may not use. Overall everything seems much improved. The stat bars showing you how good a perk actually is is.. well it’s perfect.

And it seems that unlike Bungie, their goal isn’t to nerf everything into oblivion to create and force diversify, but rather make actual effective novel changes to many things to increase self-driven diversity. At the same time, they’re thinking and working hard to preserve the player’s ability to feel like a loving badass. They’re doing it very right. This is very very good. Destiny 2 is on life support and after seeing what this game has done in comparison.. destiny might as well be put on a morphine drip now and let go.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Screama posted:

Same. Dogs, deer, birds, whatever.

I got a bird once, so far deer have all been able to dodge my bullets like in The Matrix

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As someone who has worked on an actual boring drill I have some serious grievances with the drill “rig” from that one mission. It’s like this game isn’t even trying to be realistic!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the size of the new NY map compared to DC? Is it close to/the same as the D1 NYC or bigger/smaller?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

explosivo posted:

How's the size of the new NY map compared to DC? Is it close to/the same as the D1 NYC or bigger/smaller?

Smaller. I'd ballpark it at about half that size?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ugh, I got the safe house leader bug and restarting/fast travel didn’t fix it. Hopefully it’s up and running by the time I’m home from work tomorrow.

Is it just me or are the SHD tech caches much harder to get to in NYC? I’ve just tried the financial district ones and couldn’t figure them out at all.

By logging out and back in it work eventually for me, took me like ten minutes or some such :(.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Smaller. I'd ballpark it at about half that size?

I say more like 1/3? Dc map is pretty big...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

explosivo posted:

About somewhere between 1/4 - 1/3 the size. It’s very dense, however, with tons of alleys and hoods and above/below verticality. The fog of war also adds a sense of, “this is all so new and there’s so much to explore.” In an unexplored fogged over place you can only put a waypoint but your gps won’t give you the guiding line. So you trek there on your own, stopping by and discovering everything there is along the way. In a few weeks it might feel small but not right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah okay, I guess that makes sense considering this is just an expansion and not a full blown game. Is it safe to say that a majority of your time will still be spent in DC or does the NYC content sort of become the main thing to do once you get the pack?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Too early to say and I think ill bum around new york for awhile but it does add a lot to the game and if they continue to add substantial missions like they did during the first year the game will just be pretty huge by the end of year 1. Like I did one main mission to take down one of the warlord and it is about as long or longer then a stronghold in DC.

quick edit: Also gear 2.0 is pretty awesome compared to the previous system and it gives the game a breath of fresh air.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 3, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh neat. I'm going to dick around in the game without the DLC for now to see if I can actually get back into this game but the changes seem pretty great and might pull me back in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Haven't got time for 160 new posts but I thought this was out tomorrow? I was still wrapping up all the pre-expansion off-map missions and just finished the zoo last night!

Edit: Wow my Fill 'Er Up build is totally hosed with no warning, thanks team.

There’s been warning for at least a couple months now. However there was no indication on what to do to avoid it so pretty much the same result.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

explosivo posted:

Oh neat. I'm going to dick around in the game without the DLC for now to see if I can actually get back into this game but the changes seem pretty great and might pull me back in.

You are also stuck in newyork until you finish the expansion so keep that in mind. The gear is also different as in a green(lvl 31 for example) in the expansion will supersede most yellow(lvl30) in term of armor/damage from the base game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do weapons not have a bar to show how close the damage is to 100% like all the attributes have? That seems like a silly oversight.

Or do weapons not roll damage anymore, just the weapon damage attribute? I haven't hit 40 yet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Green amor value definitely does exceed even the best yellow but if you’ve got some high damage rolls on your armor you probably won’t start exceeding those until a few levels into NY. The damage on the guns themselves starts to become noticeably higher after a couple levels.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Blind Rasputin posted:

their goal isn’t to nerf everything into oblivion to create and force diversify

They literally did this, though. It doesn't seem to be trying to force diversity but everything has been nerfed. I'm sure at 40 with enough new exotics found we'll see a new meta form, but for people doing the old content... oof.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really, really love the overcharge skill tier mechanic. being able to just completely turbocharge skills is a super fun payoff for investing in max skill tier. Every turbocharge has a unique effect so there's a ton of variety. Energize is gonna be a skill build staple for me.

The chem launcher feels especially good post update, you used to only have 2 slots, and one was guaranteed to be ammo, maybe even two, so you didn't have a ton of variety. Now with skill tier you still get ammo but you get the whole spread of mod effects like radius, burn damage, healing efficiency, snare duration, etc. Maybe a turbocharged riot foam is boosted enough to finally be good.

It's also very easy to chuck a hard wired 4 piece in there.I think the new skill update was incredibly well done, though I will miss some of the personalization you had with the individual mod system.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ugh, I got the safe house leader bug and restarting/fast travel didn’t fix it. Hopefully it’s up and running by the time I’m home from work tomorrow.

Is it just me or are the SHD tech caches much harder to get to in NYC? I’ve just tried the financial district ones and couldn’t figure them out at all.

They seem to be much harder here.
There is one on a roof with a parachute drop right next to it, I still haven't found a way up to it.
Circled that whole block multiple times.

There is a patch tomorrow to fix the mission giver bug.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I can pretty safely scrap all my level 30 gear once I get level 31 stuff, right? Since you can't rip traits off under level 31 gear?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Boy do I feel dumb for buying the last Destiny 2 season pass.

Mailer posted:

They literally did this, though. It doesn't seem to be trying to force diversity but everything has been nerfed. I'm sure at 40 with enough new exotics found we'll see a new meta form, but for people doing the old content... oof.
Yeah, my build literally went up in smoke thanks to both On The Ropes and Fill 'Er Up disappearing from my gear. It's not the worst thing that could happen and I like that I can experiment freely now, but I also didn't get a choice.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Got invited to play through the hunt for Conley.

Holy poo poo New York is awesome. The sets, the npcs, I like how there's random scavengers running the streets. Kinda gives is a quasi-DZ feel. My first impression of NY when following Kelso in the intro had my mind blown. The blood is loving everywhere. And the piles of bodies and trash mountains. Seriously, they really hit the mark with NY.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This new expansion rocks and Div2 is back baby. Suck one

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

OgNar posted:

There is one on a roof with a parachute drop right next to it, I still haven't found a way up to it.
there is a rope you can climb, but you have to look up and shoot the counterweight so the rope drops down for you. keep shooting it until it makes a BOOM and drops. i shot it "wrong" the first time and it didn't drop.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thronde posted:

Got invited to play through the hunt for Conley.

Holy poo poo New York is awesome. The sets, the npcs, I like how there's random scavengers running the streets. Kinda gives is a quasi-DZ feel. My first impression of NY when following Kelso in the intro had my mind blown. The blood is loving everywhere. And the piles of bodies and trash mountains. Seriously, they really hit the mark with NY.

Did you play Division 1? Some of the locations there were really loving grim. 20' tall piles of body bags, the load lifters abandoned halfway through the process, while a huge winter storm starts raging, your only light being the constantly burning fires.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

i think i found the "not a hunter" they talked about on SotG.

in one of the underground sewer areas you can come across a named yellow bar armored guy who yells at you and drops a key. this opens one of the previously unopenable doors to an area with some loot crates in it. i would assume he respawns occasionally, or maybe once a day

edit: ok i don't think it's what they were talking about, the next time it respawned as a non-named yellow bar heavy cleaner

Roman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So I just hit 30 and then did the last DC mission, unlocking world tier 1. I still have a bunch of unfinished sidequests and projects that would unlock attachments - should I do those before I progress to NYC? Or will they get unlocked automatically when I go? I'm not really clear on what all the boost does.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Roman posted:

i think i found the "not a hunter" they talked about on SotG.

in one of the underground sewer areas you can come across a named yellow bar armored guy who yells at you and drops a key. this opens one of the previously unopenable doors to an area with some loot crates in it. i would assume he respawns occasionally, or maybe once a day

That key also leads to a SHD cache.

Unless there's more than one of your spoiler.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I just hit 30 and then did the last DC mission, unlocking world tier 1. I still have a bunch of unfinished sidequests and projects that would unlock attachments - should I do those before I progress to NYC? Or will they get unlocked automatically when I go? I'm not really clear on what all the boost does.

The boost will put you at WT5 and complete all the main missions and side missions. You'll never be able to repeat those side missions on that character, if that's a problem for you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am in NYC, and wow my old gear got ripped up... none of my key talents even exist in the gear any more, it's all either completely talentless or some random talent that does nothing for me. Ooof...

Straight out of the gate I tried to take a CP.. oh man did I get a new orifice ripped out of me... bastards came in from behind without any warning and just dropped a sledgehammer on my head or something. Guess I'll keep working on the main story/quest line for now.

Edit: Oh and my AR magazine size got crapped on.. makes me sad.

Also I have a stupid ! message on the screen saying something about new equipment in the public space. I have no idea how to make it go away and it's annoying.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The boost will put you at WT5 and complete all the main missions and side missions. You'll never be able to repeat those side missions on that character, if that's a problem for you.

Ah, good. I'm not too bothered, seems like there's a ton of other content, and I did like half of them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OgNar posted:

There is a patch tomorrow to fix the mission giver bug.

I was driving myself nuts in Two Bridges until I realised all 3 of them involved a “shoot the rope” technique. They’ve gone big on this for some reason

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Division 101

Need to get higher but no possible way to do it? Look for rope to shoot down.

Need to open a door? Look for a yellow electrical panel.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So around when, level wise, will I have to ditch my build for 30+ equipment? I only just started but at 31 is still seems like keeping my level 30 Ongoing Directive / Sadist in place of equipping new random greens is absolutely the right move.

Also, how does turbocharge work? I had six yellow skill talents and the technician skill giving me one more skill level but it didn't seem activate. I assume it's something like six talents and then something proccing to give you a temporary +1 skill level?

The extra skill level from Technician is a LOT less useful than the extra skill power was, but still an extra core attribute's an extra core attribute. I'm also still using the pulse laser attachment despite Spotter being removed from the game... idk, I just like knowing where my enemies are. I should probably switch to Gunner or something, even though I'm still enjoying Technician - right? Maybe Demo for the special weapon?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Digital Osmosis posted:

So around when, level wise, will I have to ditch my build for 30+ equipment? I only just started but at 31 is still seems like keeping my level 30 Ongoing Directive / Sadist in place of equipping new random greens is absolutely the right move.

If you had a fine tuned lvl 30 build then the damage will carry you for a few more levels. However, the ARMOR from 31+ gear starts going up really loving fast and enemies (even in story difficulty) will be hitting you real hard if you stick to your lvl 30 gear.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
personally didn't need to start changing till 33/34, and never equipped a green

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

The Locator posted:

I am in NYC, and wow my old gear got ripped up... none of my key talents even exist in the gear any more, it's all either completely talentless or some random talent that does nothing for me. Ooof...

Straight out of the gate I tried to take a CP.. oh man did I get a new orifice ripped out of me... bastards came in from behind without any warning and just dropped a sledgehammer on my head or something. Guess I'll keep working on the main story/quest line for now.

Edit: Oh and my AR magazine size got crapped on.. makes me sad.

Also I have a stupid ! message on the screen saying something about new equipment in the public space. I have no idea how to make it go away and it's annoying.

It's the stash box in the safe area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jabro posted:

Division 101

Need to get higher but no possible way to do it? Look for rope to shoot down.

Need to open a door? Look for a yellow electrical panel.

If these don't work, look for a cable on the ground.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's the stash box in the safe area.

Thanks. Could have sworn I opened my stash just to check that, but apparently I'm wrong!

Very first safe house I hit the bug where I can't talk to the mission guy, and fast travelling a few times didn't fix it, so I'm just gonna let this percolate tonight and pick it up tomorrow after work.

I did pick up 1 of the shade techs and also thanks to grabbing a level 31 Stoner (shoot forever!!!) LMG I was able to take down an enemy strongpoint killing some yellow dudes and also got a level 31 yellow SMG. Fun running around in all new areas. Does seem like far fewer random patrols and bad guys than in DC, but I'm just in the first area so I imagine things will change.

Also, it's good to be blowing up cleaners with their own gas again... I missed that.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
There were outsiders with flamethrowers too, weren't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Couldn't play last night thanks to ECHO issues, and there's maintenance tonight in Australia prime time. Cool, cool.