Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
New month, new thread, new hip [for my mom] :confuoot:

Thread tag is what you get when you wait too long to make a new thread, the CA hostile takeover has begun!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Whattup whattup. To the guys recommending me Kriega backpacks in the Feb thread - they're very nice, but I think I'll pass. A bit on the expensive side, and the front harness looks like it'll be super sweaty in the warmer months.

Continuous interviewing when you've already decided on an offer is beyond boring. Especially when it's huggy-feely poo poo with HR drone #6.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Thread tag is what you get when you wait too long to make a new thread, the CA hostile takeover has begun!

CA takeover is only temporary, cagers live longer :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Joke's on you guys, at least we won't live to see Immortan Don

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Love my Ninja. Love seeing my son grow up with a father more, so the bike is going within the next 10 weeks. I may grab a 600 for track only in a couple years, but that's a couple years off.

Got to ride 'er for half hour on Friday, snow Saturday night. Stupid weather.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hi chat thread, I did fun things this weekend:

Finally welding up the body cart for my Alfa project. I got it 40% welded up but the wind picked up which made things challenging. My welds are ugly enough with the shielding gas. Picked up some fasteners for the casters, I think I’m going to weld nuts on and bolt the casters on rather than welding them directly.

You can see in the foreground one of the pieces of 2.5 square that I cut a side off, fits nicely over the 2x2 and then I’ll weld the vertical supports to those so I can move them around if I want to. I figure I’ll drill a couple holes in each and bolt them through the cart where I want them to land. The horizontal braces are welded in, I may cut them out and do the same thing so I can make them adjustable for the next project, but for now they are going to work for the Alfa.

Once I get this cart done I can get it under the car and finish removing the suspension and drivetrain. Then I’ll slice off some bad sheet metal, and then send her off to the paint stripper. If you’re one of the six people watching my thread, it’s been a while since I made any progress. Having a toddler really kills your productivity damnit.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Never mind the cart. Tell me about that little bandsaw table.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ryanrs posted:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Started reaching out to people on my dating app, lets see how this goes :unsmith:

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
That cart kicks rear end but also

ryanrs posted:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

Started reaching out to people on my dating app, lets see how this goes :unsmith:

Be prepared to be dicked around and let down a lot, just try not to let it get to you and don't take it too seriously!

ilkhan posted:

Love my Ninja. Love seeing my son grow up with a father more, so the bike is going within the next 10 weeks. I may grab a 600 for track only in a couple years, but that's a couple years off.

Got to ride 'er for half hour on Friday, snow Saturday night. Stupid weather.

I've been racing for like 12ish years now, although I've been on a bit of a hiatus because life is garbage. Track riding is miles miles miles miles better than anything you can do on the street. I RARELY ride on the street and it generally makes me uncomfortable to do so, but going 100% all out on the track on a motorcycle is pretty much the coolest most liberating thing ever. One of my favorite feelings I'll probably ever have is running a CBR600RR flat out around the high banks of Daytona :coolfish:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ryanrs posted:

It’s fuckin rad

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

And it's solid and sturdy? Not some dinky, flexy sheet metal thing?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

T-Square posted:

Be prepared to be dicked around and let down a lot, just try not to let it get to you and don't take it too seriously!

Oh yea for sure, been there way too many times and I assume that will happen so when it doesnt then its time to be excited

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ryanrs posted:

And it's solid and sturdy? Not some dinky, flexy sheet metal thing?

It’s thick, bro. Like 1/4” on the top and 1/8” on the legs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Repost form the April thread, because I'm a dummy and failed to notice that it was March:

Coincidentally, I finally got around to supporting the boys a bit:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

E: didn't refresh before posting

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Graphics-AIRBAGS-Sticker-Windows/dp/B01ATV3OAC
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tREs_ycck&t=60s

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

New month, new thread, new hip [for my mom] :confuoot:

gently caress yes. March off to a great start!
March is the best month.

Everyone drinks like an Irishman then it's my birthday and then winter gets a boot in the rear end. and the rest of the month is just one long hangover.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Advertised my Saab 99 on Car & Classic last week and have been getting a good number of enquiries and a sensible and pleasant sounding bloke is travelling over 3 hours on the train on Wednesday to come here for a test drive :)

However, many people buying classic cars are weird. Over the last few days I have had one call from a guy asking why it was so cheap and asking if I thought it would be a good candidate for him to use to re-shell his rotten project car (I'm selling a fully roadworthy and running car which is one of approx 25 left on the road in this country - doing this makes no sense!), and tonight another guy that despite happily accepting that a concours example would be twice the price of mine told me that he thinks mine is overpriced and then asked me exactly how low I would go on it for a cash sale.

When you are selling a car, If someone asks you via phone or email for an outright "how low will you go?" figure I'm normal in thinking 'gently caress this guy' right?

The advert states £xxxx or near offers (and I'll happily answer "yes" if asked if I'll take offers or move on the price) but in my view if you want to low offer on a car you should either do it in person when viewing it or by phone/email after viewing it. I'm not weird for thinking this am I?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

When you are selling a car, If someone asks you via phone or email for an outright "how low will you go?" figure I'm normal in thinking 'gently caress this guy' right?
I have both told people to piss off, and also come out with a number higher than the original asking price.

It's not a classic car thing, it's just a general populace thing. People are terrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

The advert states £xxxx or near offers (and I'll happily answer "yes" if asked if I'll take offers or move on the price) but in my view if you want to low offer on a car you should either do it in person when viewing it or by phone/email after viewing it. I'm not weird for thinking this am I?

No, I just ignore the idiots that lowball or complain about price, don't even waste your time arguing with them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I have both told people to piss off, and also come out with a number higher than the original asking price.

It's not a classic car thing, it's just a general populace thing. People are terrible.

I've dealt with it (and now expect it) when selling normal cars. I had higher hopes for classic car buyers dealing with £1000's rather than £500.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tomarse posted:

That seems to be standard practice anymore. Almost everything I list gets some variation of "What's your bottom dollar?" and low ball offers around half my asking price. It's a pain in the rear end but just part of selling poo poo now I guess. I wish selling higher dollar stuff changed the behavior but it doesn't in my experience.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I list a lot of cars, and if ANYONE asks what I will take for it or makes an offer without seeing it I either ignore it, or tell them they are welcome to come look at it and make an offer. Why would anyone but someone wasting your time make an offer without ever seeing the car?

Just be prepared to deal with idiots and ignore them. Or block them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The worst thing ever to sell was my 04 Cayenne. So many weirdos came out of the woodwork with the strangest trade offers and lowballs like you wouldn't believe.

They'll drive you nuts too, it really felt like it would be simpler to just torch the thing and tell everyone to gently caress off instead of dealing with it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Well, it looks the next stockmarket crash is finally beginning. I've personally lost 10% of my investmented money since valentine's day, I can't imagine how bad everyone with real money invested is getting hit. People are trying to play it off like today's stock jump was the end of it, but those were retailers'/wholesalers' stocks; there was a rush on supplies. That kind of thing can't support the entire economy indefinitely

FE: the servers for both my stock apps went down this morning. I think there may be a bit of a rush on the bank, as it were

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The very first hit on my CR-V was "what's your lowest". I just replied with the asking but in hindsight I wish I'd gone higher to see if they're even loving reading.

And yeah, it seems like any concept of "what is negotiation" is long dead. I've listed my asking price, that's the first step. You want to pay something different, it's on you to offer that number, and I'm not likely to knock much off unless you're already standing in my driveway with a stack of hundos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yeah, it seems like any concept of "what is negotiation" is long dead.

I think it may just be that the games have changed.

Take, for instance, my search for a couple-year-old midrange SUV this past summer. I struggled for a couple months with failed deals and dealerships not moving an inch when all I wanted was to give them cash and take a car off their lot. I guess my mindset is outdated. I saw this video last night and it all made sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxVyeFmod8

I'm sure the game has changed in other ways that I don't know about, too. :sigh:

In other news, Dax Shepard is awesome and has the best taste in cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7M5mM7BiU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I tried in vain to make a deal to buy a new car cash 2 years ago no one wanted my money. Hyundai sold me an Elantra for $8500 off sticker if I would finance with them. I made 3 payments so they would get credit and paid it off. That was more important to them than cash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Don't know about the US, but here, you can get dealer/manufacturer contributions to finance deals, and then immediately pay off the finance. In fact, it's legally mandated that any consumer credit agreement can be exited without penalty in the first couple of weeks.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Mercedes dealer that I put a deposit down on Saturday with on a GLS hasn’t called me back. Dealers, man

E: meanwhile the BMW dealer I dropped into to briefly drive an X7 is hounding me. Sigh

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 3, 2020

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s that Big Grill Energy man.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Don't know about the US, but here, you can get dealer/manufacturer contributions to finance deals, and then immediately pay off the finance. In fact, it's legally mandated that any consumer credit agreement can be exited without penalty in the first couple of weeks.

I just asked them how many payments I could make and they get the full benefit/kickback whatever. Finance guy said 3 to be safe so that is what I did. They treated me kindly and gave me a great deal and I saw no reason not to return the favor.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Well, it looks the next stockmarket crash is finally beginning. I've personally lost 10% of my investmented money since valentine's day, I can't imagine how bad everyone with real money invested is getting hit. People are trying to play it off like today's stock jump was the end of it, but those were retailers'/wholesalers' stocks; there was a rush on supplies. That kind of thing can't support the entire economy indefinitely

FE: the servers for both my stock apps went down this morning. I think there may be a bit of a rush on the bank, as it were

After watching the profiteering/incompetent GOP bozos repeatedly crash the economy and buy up all the now de-valued assets of everyone at the bottom panic-selling every 11 years like clockwork for 40ish years now, I have learned that the trick to being a successful middle-class American is:
Die somewhere between year 6 of a Democratic presidency and year 3 of the subsequent Republican one, and buy as much Vanguard index fund when the market is 'Down' as you can.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My father-in-law has a 98 Accord they bought brand new. V6/Auto (oddly bulletproof, never let them down) which they have driven all over North America and into Central America. 2 weeks ago he put $2K in it because it's been a good car for them. Timing belt, rad, transmission leak fix.. and something else.

Cue last week. Got rear-ended by some dimwit who was almost certainly on their phone (she says she was looking at her "clock" on her dashboard). Pushed him into a bro truck ahead of him with a big platform hitch sticking out. So his car is almost certainly written off and will likely be lucky to get $1500 for his 22 year old Honda.

Bajaha posted:

The worst thing ever to sell was my 04 Cayenne. So many weirdos came out of the woodwork with the strangest trade offers and lowballs like you wouldn't believe.

They'll drive you nuts too, it really felt like it would be simpler to just torch the thing and tell everyone to gently caress off instead of dealing with it.

I've listed my 996 twice. I get the odd sincere guy that asks generally the reasonable questions, but you get assholes with the weirdest trades, like loving animals/pets (pit bulls or snakes) or trade some just random total P.O.S. car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
selling anything now is a massive ballache.

Why it's better to fully send it. Cut the remains up and drag it across the scales.

slidebite posted:

My father-in-law has a 98 Accord they bought brand new. V6/Auto (oddly bulletproof, never let them down) which they have driven all over North America and into Central America. 2 weeks ago he put $2K in it because it's been a good car for them. Timing belt, rad, transmission leak fix.. and something else.

Cue last week. Got rear-ended by some dimwit who was almost certainly on their phone (she says she was looking at her "clock" on her dashboard). Pushed him into a bro truck ahead of him with a big platform hitch sticking out. So his car is almost certainly written off and will likely be lucky to get $1500 for his 22 year old Honda.

If they have receipts they might be able to negotiate with the insurance company to get that back out of the vehicle.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm going to have to sell my Capri soon, and I have no idea how that'll go. It's a super niche car in not the best condition, but it's so unique that some weirdo like me might snatch it up. Right?

Ether Frenzy posted:

After watching the profiteering/incompetent GOP bozos repeatedly crash the economy and buy up all the now de-valued assets of everyone at the bottom panic-selling every 11 years like clockwork for 40ish years now, I have learned that the trick to being a successful middle-class American is:
Die somewhere between year 6 of a Democratic presidency and year 3 of the subsequent Republican one, and buy as much Vanguard index fund when the market is 'Down' as you can.

I'm looking for that sweet, sweet real estate. I was too young last time this happened, but soon it'll be cheap enough for me to come and take it
Although after doing some research on the trends, starting some serious investing 6-9 months after the big fall seems to be the way to go. That seems to be the sweet spot when these big crashes hit bottom and slowly recover from there on out

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 3, 2020

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm waiting for the next housing crash to start looking for a place, values are still wildly inflated and lol at feeling secure enough to live in one place long enough to be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm starting to realize the problem with having a lot of network infrastructure at home is the complete and absolute lack of change control and maintenance windows.