Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm starting to realize the problem with having a lot of network infrastructure at home is the complete and absolute lack of change control and maintenance windows.

I've been putting off migrating pfSense from physical to virtual since at least August because my wife works from home on a thin client, effectively making my home network vital infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geoj posted:

I've been putting off migrating pfSense from physical to virtual since at least August because my wife works from home on a thin client, effectively making my home network vital infrastructure.

hahahaha oof. I mean at that point I'd use it as an excuse to splurge on some new hardware and write it off on the ol' tax return.
I've been really happy with Ubiquiti USG, Switches, and WAPs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never wanted to buy a Nissan Leaf before, but now I want to buy a wrecked one, the back half of a Toyota Highlander hybrid w/ 4wd, an assortment of Honda suspension parts, and a fwd Justy with a dead engine/trans.

What the gently caress is wrong with me

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Next it’ll be a hydrogen-rotary mild hybrid Ridgeline

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You've got dibs on the buyback for mine if anyone ever wrecks it.

Also my legs felt real weird this morning from all that free amateur acupuncture.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dude, I literally woke up screaming because 6 and a half feet of me does not fit across the back seat of an f150 and two days of blundering around in blackberries high-stepping over them has beat the hell out of every muscle I never use. So I got the worst cramps ever at 5am. I seriously almost thought I had a DVT or something.

At least all the building footprints are staked out now and the septic design company seemed pretty happy about the soil conditions. BTW, I mentioned you got a crazy high quote for a pressurized system without giving any real details on who or what or where, and they said that's probably way higher than it will be unless your place has some kind of insane constraints that they aren't aware of.

And thanks a ton for helping... That would have been really frustrating trying to do all that measuring and staking alone.

On the Leaf subject, I hope yours doesn't get wrecked but I'll keep that in mind :v:

E: just checked copart and most of the leafs in the year range I'd be considering as donors have *undamaged* estimated value in the 9k and under range, so given that I'm looking at totalled poo poo heaps, I'm guessing I can scoop one for like, less than 2-3k or so. I bet this is possible with a budget of 3750 plus the car and a stupid amount of time.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 3, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, I got the impression that the people who got that quote (the basis for my estimate) were getting fleeced.

Dude, you're sleeping in the F-150? I don't have a guest room right now, because of the aforementioned half my floor being ripped out, but I have tons of camping gear and could have set you up like in a 4 person tent with a heat source you could stretch out in.

If you don't have arrangements next time, give me a few days notice so I can give the roomies a heads up, and I can set you up a guest room (if we're done with the current project) or at least a nice campsite and gear (if we're not) if that's something you're interested in.

I had fun tromping around the 'ol homestead too, and talking about cars, it's a beautiful dream, and has re-inspired me to get to work on my own poo poo out here.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

redgubbinz posted:

I'm waiting for the next housing crash to start looking for a place, values are still wildly inflated and lol at feeling secure enough to live in one place long enough to be worth it.

I'm on the flip side, sitting after 13 years with more than 50% equity in my place, desperately hoping the market doesn't melt it all away before I'm ready to sell next winter. It's a good rental though, so if worse comes to worst I'll just keep it and rent it out.

Also in the "Joys of home ownership" arena, my smoke alarm decided just now, at 1:30 AM that the battery backup was done and it needed to chirp briefly but at full volume once every 3 minutes. So here I sit wide awake with dust in my eyes from climbing up and swapping the battery.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is this the place to bitch about my espresso machine? It is now.

The Italians who designed this wonder equipped it with a low water level cutoff, such that there's always water for the pump. The problem is, it just cuts off, instead of being two stage with and alarm when almost empty, and then alarm+cutoff when dangerously empty.

Which means that on average once a month I have a shot ruined by this, as everything stops.

Could've just made the level sensor three-state instead of binary and spent 30 cents more on the electronics, but noooo.

I'm trying to come up with solutions for this that doesn't turn into a giant electronics project and so far I got nothing.

Edit: mind you, this was a $2k machine when new.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

I'm trying to come up with solutions for this that doesn't turn into a giant electronics project and so far I got nothing.

Check the water level before you pump a shot :cheeky:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 3, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Beach Bum posted:

Thats just solid life advice, isnt it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bolind posted:

My Nespresso machine was $100 and it works awesome :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bolind posted:

The Italians who designed this wonder equipped it with a low water level cutoff, such that there's always water for the pump. The problem is, it just cuts off, instead of being two stage with and alarm when almost empty, and then alarm+cutoff when dangerously empty.

Which means that on average once a month I have a shot ruined by this, as everything stops.

Could've just made the level sensor three-state instead of binary and spent 30 cents more on the electronics, but noooo.

Sounds very italian

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Thats just solid life advice, isnt it?

Oh man, I can't even take credit for that.

fridge corn posted:

Sounds very italian

I was gonna try to work a Ferrari joke in there somewhere, but I just couldn't pin one down.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 3, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've always thought it would be really cool to have an actual espresso machine except that they're expensive as gently caress. I have a Mr. Coffee thing that's like $160, my sister won it in a raffle at work and gave it to my mom, and my mom didn't want it so she gave it to me. I used it a few times and it makes decent espresso/lattes/cappuccinos if you use it right but that shits too much work in the morning so it just takes up space on my counter and collects dust :v:

Tomarse posted:

When you are selling a car, If someone asks you via phone or email for an outright "how low will you go?" figure I'm normal in thinking 'gently caress this guy' right?

I got into an argument with a friend of a friend a while back because a bunch of my friends were hunting for dirtbikes on craigslist, and he said "Just message them what their lowest dollar is" and I said gently caress that, when people send me that I just ignore them because they're already wasting my time, and his response was "Well I want to see if I can afford it before I spend my time going out and looking for it." Well, ya can't, so stop bothering them.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I'm on the flip side, sitting after 13 years with more than 50% equity in my place, desperately hoping the market doesn't melt it all away before I'm ready to sell next winter. It's a good rental though, so if worse comes to worst I'll just keep it and rent it out.

Also in the "Joys of home ownership" arena, my smoke alarm decided just now, at 1:30 AM that the battery backup was done and it needed to chirp briefly but at full volume once every 3 minutes. So here I sit wide awake with dust in my eyes from climbing up and swapping the battery.

Yep, and if I did buy I'd be in your position when the crash after that happens, such is life when housing is a commodity with value dickered around by parasites in a bank office thousands of miles away.

e: espresso talk, I had no idea Australians took coffee so seriously, and good job kicking starbucks out. My $20 aeropress doesn't measure up to a real machine but if I grind it myself it puts out a surprisingly good shot. I'll have to plan a trip down there :v:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i have a little capresso that was like a hundred bucks or so and it is Adequate

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got my Nespresso machine right when they came out and it was a godsend because I was getting ready to spend thousands for a grinder and machine just so I could make a decent espresso shot at home. I order the pods directly from Nespresso, they have a Cuban variety that's amazing, among a bunch of different choices ranging from strength of the shots to different flavors and origins. Prices are very reasonable as well. I've had exceptional shots coming out of high dollar machines but the Nespresso is pretty drat close and for the cost of ownership you can't beat it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

bolind posted:

Can you add a second sensor (ideally one that reads the same float or whatever) an inch or two above the first one and just rig it to a dummy light so you know a little before the embedded system does? That way you won't have to mess with the firmware and such.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I got the impression that the people who got that quote (the basis for my estimate) were getting fleeced.

Dude, you're sleeping in the F-150? I don't have a guest room right now, because of the aforementioned half my floor being ripped out, but I have tons of camping gear and could have set you up like in a 4 person tent with a heat source you could stretch out in.

If you don't have arrangements next time, give me a few days notice so I can give the roomies a heads up, and I can set you up a guest room (if we're done with the current project) or at least a nice campsite and gear (if we're not) if that's something you're interested in.

I had fun tromping around the 'ol homestead too, and talking about cars, it's a beautiful dream, and has re-inspired me to get to work on my own poo poo out here.

Yeah. It's pretty painful but I'm cheap and too independent minded to ask so here I am :v: normally when both of us come out we get a hotel or Airbnb, but since it's just me I figured I'd save the money. Hopefully next time we'll be living here permanently, this may be the last short trip.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This Corona thing - or rather, the panic, is getting out of control. We have people ordering 100+ containers of hand sanitizer through our personal shopping service (we have a cap of 4 for any hand soaps, hand sanitizers, cleaners, etc right now, but people think they can be sneaky with the personal shoppers), people cleaning out entire shelves of bleach (only to be told no, you can only buy 4). Normally we get 4-5 pallets of "chemical" in (household cleaning products and laundry); we got 5 of JUST bleach last night. Canned goods? I think we got 8 just for the one aisle - and I got to work it.. it's a 2 person aisle on a busy day, and with 2 people, we still don't finish until 8 or so usually. The other guy ducked out at 6. :fuckoff: Manager finally told me "dude, go home, I'll finish up" at 8:30.

Canned goods and water look like a tornado tore through. And it's obvious people have been tearing through the shelves to find the newest product at the back, on every aisle. Except we're so busy we don't get time to rotate, so old poo poo sits at the back of the shelf until someone finds it (Hamburger Helper, cake mixes, salad dressings, etc are particularly bad with this). I found several shelves where people had shoved everything to the side to get at the stuff in the back, assuming they'd get the freshest stuff (it exposed plenty of expired stuff for me to damage out). The most common canned stuff sells out, or comes really close to it, every day - you might find something with an extra week on the expiration (when it's good for 3 years) at best on that aisle if you dig a bit.

I had one jackass shove me to the side while I was unloading a pallet (just before close), ram his shopping cart into the stack I had just finished unloading off the pallet (knocking down a 5 ft high stack of ramen), then grab a case of something or other off the shelf. Respirator, hoodie, gloves, etc. :rolleyes: I made sure management tailed the poo poo out of him all the way out of the store, since, you know, stuff covering up the face and fingerprints is kind of suspicious and good reason to get followed. :v: (one saw it happen, they were equally unhappy, esp since the jackass crushed a few cases of product getting around the pallet I was trying to move out of his way).

loving people.

slidebite posted:

My father-in-law has a 98 Accord they bought brand new. V6/Auto (oddly bulletproof, never let them down) which they have driven all over North America and into Central America. 2 weeks ago he put $2K in it because it's been a good car for them. Timing belt, rad, transmission leak fix.. and something else.

Cue last week. Got rear-ended by some dimwit who was almost certainly on their phone (she says she was looking at her "clock" on her dashboard). Pushed him into a bro truck ahead of him with a big platform hitch sticking out. So his car is almost certainly written off and will likely be lucky to get $1500 for his 22 year old Honda.

Ooooof. Hope he kept receipts for that work. The 6th gen Accord really didn't hold its value worth a poo poo compared to other generations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look just pray for the virus to go away

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't get it myself, I saw someone buy an entire pallet of bottled water and 2 carts of frozen food at Costco and just laughed in amazement at the levels of panic sweeping through people

Rhyno posted:

Found the Hoosier

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I know you're joking but there are :airquote:people:airquote: out there that actually loving believe this poo poo and I just- :tizzy:

Like I'm sitting here at my desk all calm and poo poo but I can feel the back of my brain going "rrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our goddamned Vice President doesn't believe in science. Prayer is the only answer.

The Door Frame posted:

Found the Hoosier

I'm not native!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Doublepost but oh my gently caress how long as this feature been there :swoon:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

This Corona thing - or rather, the panic, is getting out of control. We have people ordering 100+ containers of hand sanitizer through our personal shopping service (we have a cap of 4 for any hand soaps, hand sanitizers, cleaners, etc right now, but people think they can be sneaky with the personal shoppers), people cleaning out entire shelves of bleach (only to be told no, you can only buy 4). to move out of his way).
<snip>
gently caressing people.

There are days when I hope the virus significantly reduces the population. Problem is, it won't get just the idiots and assholes.

What's the normal price for an N95 mask on Amazon? Because they sure seem a bit high now... wonder why?

Rhyno posted:

Funny how thoughts and prayers are good enough when something happens to someone else, but if it's happening to them, they want something done.

Beach Bum posted:

I know you're joking but there are :airquote:people:airquote: out there that actually loving believe this poo poo and I just- :tizzy:

Like I'm sitting here at my desk all calm and poo poo but I can feel the back of my brain going "rrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Exactly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

There are days when I hope the virus significantly reduces the population. Problem is, it won't get just the idiots and assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfyT4H_NPw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

I mean you post this but I saw an image of literally this happening from inside the White House. Your president and his cronies are all loving morons and people are going to die due to their inaction.

On the same subject, Nigel Farage just tweeted out that the UK is doing nothing while the US is acting .......by lowering the benchmark interest rate. Yeah. Gotta make sure all that imaginary money is safe, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

I don't get it myself, I saw someone buy an entire pallet of bottled water and 2 carts of frozen food at Costco and just laughed in amazement at the levels of panic sweeping through people

Food I understand.. to a degree. 2 carts of frozen poo poo? Are you TRYING to become obese? You need beans, rice, and canned stuff in general if you want to survive a few weeks of society breaking down.

Water? The only way those on city water won't have municipal water available is if the trucking industry shuts down for several weeks (delaying delivery of chemicals to water treatment plants) - at which point you'll just have to boil your water first. Those on well water won't have to worry (beyond the typical well water concerns). So long as the electric grid is still going, we'll have running water. And I hope you can keep that water relatively cool - a lot of those water bottles have BPA, and if they get warm enough, they'll leech into the water (which, even if you don't care about BPA, it'll still really affect the taste of the water).

I happened to be walking past the front door just before open (6am), and we had an actual line. Not a couple of people, but like 20 people, all lined up at the main entry. We have 2 entries, the other was probably the same. As soon as they opened the doors everyone rushed in. By the time I left (8am), the store was "Sunday after church crowded" (busiest time of the week). Usually there's a handful of people in when I left, but the lines were already 4-5 people deep when I left.

I work with a couple of preppers, and they're even blown away by the behavior of a lot of these people.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Doublepost but oh my gently caress how long as this feature been there :swoon:

I haven't seen it before so I'm pretty sure it's new. I know improving the smiley list was one of Jeffrey of YOSPOSs pet projects so he must have gotten it done.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, but that involves taking off the cup warmer (full of cups) and a janky plastik water tank cover that's a bitch to fit back in.

Also, the reservoir, when empty, holds exactly two liters of water which fits with the bottled water I feed it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My Nespresso machine was $100 and it works awesome :v:

Death before Nespresso. (But maybe not caffeine withdrawal.)

fridge corn posted:

Sounds very italian

Yes.

kastein posted:

Can you add a second sensor (ideally one that reads the same float or whatever) an inch or two above the first one and just rig it to a dummy light so you know a little before the embedded system does? That way you won't have to mess with the firmware and such.

The float is captive, so it only has very little movement. Also, that would involve a transformer and wiring and...

Touchless fluid level sensors exist, but I've only researched it briefly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

This Corona thing - or rather, the panic, is getting out of control.

That it is. People are poo poo too.

STR posted:

I work with a couple of preppers, and they're even blown away by the behavior of a lot of these people.

I'm in Solano county and loving lol @ the idiot horde. I'm not doing poo poo about it, Incoming fire season is the one to worry about.

kastein posted:

I've never wanted to buy a Nissan Leaf before, but now I want to buy a wrecked one, the back half of a Toyota Highlander hybrid w/ 4wd, an assortment of Honda suspension parts, and a fwd Justy with a dead engine/trans.

What the gently caress is wrong with me

Insurance auctions, find a buddy with a license, or obtain your own, buy a leaf for under 2k and gut the fucker. secondarily, figure out a way to add a plate cooler to the battery stack. they don't have thermal management and yeaaaaah.

i wanna take a leaf/volt and graft it into a baja bug, i totally get it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We got hit with a F3 or F4 tornado last night came through Nashville then hit my town.

My house and family is fine, cars at my house are fine.

Main area of destruction is where I have RV storage and I have a fire truck I sold (which should be covered under full coverage by the buyer they informed me they did that after I demanded it for keeping it til picked up) and my Hi Ace camper which has no comprehensive. BUT, reports from the Sheriff says that the buildings and RV covered area is standing that is all we know. Will probably be days before I can go check, that area is a total no-go by anyone but emergency services. It is just cars and we already have 14 confirmed dead and that will certainly rise during the day...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LloydDobler posted:

I am hoping the idiots keep gobbling up housing in the Salt Lake valley. In less than seven years there are now townhomes being built 7 miles away as the crow flies in a less accessible location with a base price of what I paid for my single family home. With three times the square footage, 3 car garage and a quarter acre lot. It is total insanity and this guy will likely cash out.

EDIT: RE: Coronavirus it has also reached peak crazy yesterday locally. Everyone bumrushed the Costcos and wiped out (heh) all the toilet paper and bottled water when last week everything was fine and normal. My kids school district emailed to tell everyone that they literally have months worth of cleaning supplies on hand so there is no concern of shortages.

Bottled water? How stupid are people? I mean you should have water storage already, but pretty sure my tap water is going to survive COVID.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
im just flying around like crazy as usual and don't really get the panic

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Living in Southern California means I have water storage containers for earthquakes, but being a typical native they're just sitting there empty. I should use this as an opportunity to sanitize them and fill them with water, but I spent last weekend at the beach and a brewery. I did get some more Mountain House meals for storage, but I'll bring those with me when I hang out in the mountains anyway so it's not wasted food (and they stay good for 30 years).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Do people normally have water storage on hand? It's not a bad idea, but I'd be more worried about running out of booze

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Do people normally have water storage on hand? It's not a bad idea, but I'd be more worried about running out of booze

I know a few people with extensive rainwater reclamation systems and huge food stores. Preppers gotta prep.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a few 2.5 gallon jugs for storing water before a hurricane and we usually have 2-3 cases of water for normal drinking along with other drinks. It's easy to prep for a hurricane when you keep stuff around anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

About 15 years ago I was *huge* in the espresso thing. Bought a Quickmill Andreja premium, Mazzer grinder and even roasted my own beans.

The Espresso machine was a gorgeous piece of chrome and heavy as a tank, but was basically the coffee version of an Italian car. It would be fussy, had to replace the odd relay, sensor, and if I descaled the tank the boiler pressure switch always seemed to poo poo the bed. I got annoyed with it.

In the end, I found a decent brand of pre-roasted beans and the supermarket and bought a Miele superauto machine so I just push a button in the morning and sold my old stuff for over 1/2 what I paid for it after 15 years of use. I've been using the Miele now for going on 2 years and it has yet to give me any issues whatsoever. Only downside, and it's not huge, is I like my milk based drinks a bit hotter so I just put it in the microwave for 20 seconds after I make the drink.