Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You could live in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
That thing is choice.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just when you think dave's bought it all...

I can't wait to see the camper with the murals all over it. That thing is such an eye catcher!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just when you think dave's bought it all...

I can't wait to see the camper with the murals all over it. That thing is such an eye catcher!

Atlas mural camper (with 9k real miles) is on the boat now...along with 4 other vehicles on that ship plus my Pajero Mini getting loaded from another port today.

This latest Hi Ace was too wild to not take a chance for and for what I got it for...there are deals to be had but I am at this 6 days a week looking for them. Not only is it massive above the cab as you see IT HAS A POP UP TOP TOO

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Mother of God the driver transporting my camper had his loving truck break down in Ohio. Fuuuuck thiiiiis.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

Mother of God the driver transporting my camper had his loving truck break down in Ohio. Fuuuuck thiiiiis.

Are we ever going to get to see this camper?

I submitted my Acty and got accepted to BAT...just wasn't getting traction around here. Oh plenty of people want it but they don't want to pay or they want to trade me their POS when everything I post says NO TRADES 100 times. Should go up in 2 weeks or so.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

French Canadian posted:

"Break down"

He's gonna sell your camper and do a runner, bro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

"Break down"

He's gonna sell your camper and do a runner, bro.

Ohio is close enough to meth country and well know you need a camper to make meth

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Maybe my camper will just have that many more stories to tell. I should get a meth swab kit.

...and lo, thine camper approaches.

He got his truck "fixed" and is trundling my way. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll see it. He even sent me a photo of it on a trailer. I guess he's just towing with a generic HD pickup. It's not even a fuckin' duelly.

The problem was that the heater for his DEF fluid poo poo the bed apparently.

Better not be any poops in my cartridge toilet!

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
i think i found my new daily, fellas.
https://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/VU3200456578/index.html

:eyepop:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That one is really good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Auction Sheet posted:

62068- 5mt, ac, fender flares need replacing, undercarriage and other surface rust, interior dirty, ceiling liner dirty and tears, console glue remains, seats torn and burn holes, cargo area scratches, rear wiper missing, aftermarket wheels/shift knob/audio, hitch bracket installed, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches surface rust paint marks paint waves, spare missing

Inspection Report posted:

-62068- engine starts one shot, revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker but can't read, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, slight surface rust in engine bay, tires at around 30% slight cracks, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage/wheel wells/fenders slight surface rust only, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat 3cm tear and one burn hole, other seats dirty but ok, dashboard glue remains, ceiling liner small tears x6, pillar inside panels cracked, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, no diff lock, lights ok, windows ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

It's a 5 speed, HZ (big straight six non-turbo diesel) 2 door FRP top Land Cruiser. No diff lock which kinda sucks, but everything else about it is pretty dang good. Good price too!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Goddamn finally. In the middle of a snow storm no less...

From the look of his setup, I feel like that guy is guilty of some truckfuckling but who am I to judge?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love the color combo of the Cruiser Kaker, and FC your camper looks good.

Tornado hit here last night, I am fine my kids are fine house is fine, but most of the death and destruction around my storage facility where I have the fire truck I sold and my Hi Ace camper. Probably be days before I am allowed there to check it out. Buyer has full coverage on the fire truck. Hopefully they are OK, I do know the facility is standing so if there is damage I am assuming not destroyed but who knows, I have insulation and siding all in my yard and there are no damaged houses within 2 miles of me at least.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Whoa holy poo poo that sucks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Looking real nice now that the damage and rash is gone from the exterior. Still debating on what to do with the wheels before putting it up for sale.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

jfc this is rad as gently caress

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

With refinished wheels that thing would clean house on Bring a Trailer with the Radwood scene.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't you have any wheel refinishing shops near you? Or is it too costly?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

French Canadian posted:

Goddamn finally. In the middle of a snow storm no less...

From the look of his setup, I feel like that guy is guilty of some truckfuckling but who am I to judge?

Uhhhhh... yeah. That should be a third-wheel setup. Imagine the tongue weight :stare:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat, Dave. Glad your family and home are safe, hope your storage area is too. Tornados are no joke.

Kaker, as other have said.... That toyota is one of the raddest things I have ever seen. Those rims!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Looking real nice now that the damage and rash is gone from the exterior. Still debating on what to do with the wheels before putting it up for sale.

Do you know what the original finish looks like on the wheels? Kinda looks like it might be like a radial brushed finish but hard to tell.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

everdave posted:

Tornado hit here last night, I am fine my kids are fine house is fine, but most of the death and destruction around my storage facility where I have the fire truck I sold and my Hi Ace camper. Probably be days before I am allowed there to check it out. Buyer has full coverage on the fire truck. Hopefully they are OK, I do know the facility is standing so if there is damage I am assuming not destroyed but who knows, I have insulation and siding all in my yard and there are no damaged houses within 2 miles of me at least.

does your dealer insurance cover stuff like this? I have to imagine if you’d had your whole flock in that warehouse you’d be out of business overnight otherwise?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't you have any wheel refinishing shops near you? Or is it too costly?

There are a few I've found, I just hesitate because we keep putting more and more money into it. Though the idea of putting something like this on Bring a Trailer does have tremendous appeal.

dphi posted:

Do you know what the original finish looks like on the wheels? Kinda looks like it might be like a radial brushed finish but hard to tell.

It is radial, so that will be going away no matter what I will be doing. One of the wheels are gouged and will need to be filled in as well, so no hope for preservation of the original design.

snugglz posted:

does your dealer insurance cover stuff like this? I have to imagine if you’d had your whole flock in that warehouse you’d be out of business overnight otherwise?

I can't speak for everdave, but ours absolutely does. A part of how it worked for us nailing down a policy was the value of vehicles. We have ours insured to 25k each, covers all sorts of things besides flooding, because :patriot:
Floods are a separate policy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That'll rub down and polish up well enough if you're willing to put the time/effort in.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, I refinished some pretty rough looking wheels but since I was going for full polish, it was actually easier than what you'd be looking to do if you wanted to keep it brushed. I'm not sure how well polished wheels would fit the look of that car but if you went that route, I'd recommend the Zephyr polishing kit. If that picture is of the gouge you're talking about, it looks like you could get away with sanding down and not having to fill.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Still can't get to where the camper and fire truck are stored, but the sun is out and I am hoping for the best. Trying to think positive and of course all that matters is my kids are safe.

Port pics! GIANT camper and a Homy GT turbo deezy van with 14k miles!

Toyota HiAce Space Shelter 21 footer, 71k km diesel

Replacement driver seat is a power Recaro

Why yes that is a pop top

Nissan Caravan Homy GT 4wd Turbo Diesel, power curtains, 23k actual km

Power curtains

Dual power sunroofs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dphi posted:

Yeah, I refinished some pretty rough looking wheels but since I was going for full polish, it was actually easier than what you'd be looking to do if you wanted to keep it brushed. I'm not sure how well polished wheels would fit the look of that car but if you went that route, I'd recommend the Zephyr polishing kit. If that picture is of the gouge you're talking about, it looks like you could get away with sanding down and not having to fill.

Oh no its worse on one wheel specifically:

This one at least will need professional repair. The wheels are quite rare so it is worth it, and I'm not worried about maintaining that subtle radial texture because this wheel ruins all of that as I can't see how you can full in those gouges and somehow get that texture back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You could have them sand blasted and then just paint them silver or gun metal grey, that would probably look good. I used this wheel paint on the wheel covers of my xB and they turned out great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041DK4IA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Paint everything black except the face of those spokes, polish the poo poo out of them.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Put the car on jackstands with the drive wheels off the ground shift through to get to at least third gear at idle. Take an angle grinder with a scotch brite pad to clean it up and a cup wheel to match texture to the spinning wheel and have at it.

YMMV.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

That'll rub down and polish up well enough if you're willing to put the time/effort in.

Clear coat will need to be removed - that's mostly what's making it look bad, I think.
That's how Mazda's '80s wheels work, anyway. I've got several sets of various RX-7 machine-finished wheels that did something similar, though none as badly.
That gouged one, though, is going to be a tough fix without painting or something.

everdave posted:

Replacement driver seat is a power Recaro

Pretty neat, but that bit of seat pan sticking out is janky. Guess that's the original seat base?
Pretty beefy rear tires on that thing, too. Comparatively, anyway.

edit:

glyph posted:

Put the car on jackstands with the drive wheels off the ground shift through to get to at least third gear at idle. Take an angle grinder with a scotch brite pad to clean it up and a cup wheel to match texture to the spinning wheel and have at it.

YMMV.

I would actually try that. Carefully. Though probably with just a stationary sanding block held against the wheel.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Darchangel posted:

edit:

I would actually try that. Carefully. Though probably with just a stationary sanding block held against the wheel.

As I see it, those spokes are so close together, you'd really have to try to get hurt.

Then again, I file and hand turn profiles on our 14" leblond at work all the time. I could be deep into the safety creep.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That's not far from how I've seen wheels brushed by refinishing places, there's YouTube videos for it out there I'm sure, I know I've seen a few on Insta

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

glyph posted:

As I see it, those spokes are so close together, you'd really have to try to get hurt.

Then again, I file and hand turn profiles on our 14" leblond at work all the time. I could be deep into the safety creep.

Nah, I get it. The sanding block is just to keep my fingers away from the wheel. A grinder will work, but I worry about the two competing circular paths messing up the brushing pattern.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My leaf springs are sacked out and I'll need to put some airbags or shocks on em. They're not the worst but they are definitely straight and/or approaching upside-down status. I noticed it in the inspection photos but didn't really trust what I thought I was seeing. Possibly the builder didn't opt to bulk up the suspension adequately. Airbags are cheap though...but I do realize that if I had spend a few more thousand, I might be in the same place financially but with a newer camper after everything is said and done :/

Still, my super diesel mechanic (who really seems quite amazing) didn't notice anything particularly horrible. A few seals are leaking but easy to replace. He thinks it runs really nicely.

The exhaust pipe is apparently broken at a flange before the muffler, and the flex down pipe is leaking also, but I guess that stuff is a cheap fix for a muffler shop. Oddly it has a really nice stainless pipe right after the muffler. Dunno why they didn't bother with the rest of it :(

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 6, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Because it wasn’t broken when they did that part. You know how normal vehicle owners are. Preventive/preemptive care is an afterthought if any kind of thought.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

French Canadian posted:

My leaf springs are sacked out and I'll need to put some airbags or shocks on em. They're not the worst but they are definitely straight and/or approaching upside-down status. I noticed it in the inspection photos but didn't really trust what I thought I was seeing. Possibly the builder didn't opt to bulk up the suspension adequately. Airbags are cheap though...but I do realize that if I had spend a few more thousand, I might be in the same place financially but with a newer camper after everything is said and done :/

Still, my super diesel mechanic (who really seems quite amazing) didn't notice anything particularly horrible. A few seals are leaking but easy to replace. He thinks it runs really nicely.

The exhaust pipe is apparently broken at a flange before the muffler, and the flex down pipe is leaking also, but I guess that stuff is a cheap fix for a muffler shop. Oddly it has a really nice stainless pipe right after the muffler. Dunno why they didn't bother with the rest of it :(

I mean, they're leaf springs. I'm sure you could bodge a new pack together, worst case scenario.
Lol, slap some Timbrens on it. Those things are built tough, no chance for leaks when it's just a rubber spring!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I looked at timbrens based on your suggestion and they're nifty but seem to be more for the last bit of travel while loaded. I think I'd consider airbags but not bother with a compressor. Don't really mind having to check the pressure myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The buyer of the my BAT fire truck finally got it picked up for shipping to California. Driver was an idiot, I had to show him how to drive a RHD 5 speed and where the e-brake and lights were and he was 4+ hours late.

All he asked about the top was if it was secure. I told him yes and that there was nothing needing to be done. It was installed tightly and secured well.

Apparently idiot decided to take ratchet straps and strap it down to the maximum pressure over it, causing it to rip open and destroy itself. This is all apparent in photos. The buyer places no blame on me and the truck is sold and it is out of my hands. But the buyer will be pursuing legal action against the transport company.

Thank God I have a regular driver who brings my vehicles from Savannah that I trust 100%. Why this guy would do this to the top is beyond comprehension. I told him nothing needed to be done to the top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!