Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxxidation posted:

the default materia assignments make no sense either. LIGHTNING comes from CLOUDS. barret is HOT-BLOODED. get your poo poo together, people!
Barret has a firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My win was entirely down to me chugging potions because I couldn't dodge its attacks for poo poo.

That how I handled fighting it.

Was it just me or did Guard Scorpion feel like it was way too much of a damage sponge and had too much health?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't believe this remake is real and might actually be good

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Played the demo. Holy poo poo, the full game had better let me rebind stuff - it's been a while since I've been that pissed off by a game's controls.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also in a demo full of relatively great visual design Jessie's incredibly form-fitting chrome boob armor is just awful. I appreciate the overall fidelity to the original designs but it's real bad folks

It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Their armor looks pretty heavily home-made in general and she's implied to be the group's armorer. IMO if the horney girl wants to have boob plate, let her. :shrug:

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeap, that.

And... AVALANCHE was right, bow all the mako reactors, bring SHINRA down.

You could argue that while he wanted it to explode from the explosion he created he didn't want it to completely obliterate everything around it.
And having AVALANCHE dealing with the consequences of their actions would be more interesting than eventually learning "oh, guess it wasn't our fault"

It was pretty heavily implied in the original that Shinra were the ones who blew the reactor. Jessie straight-up says in the hideout that she was confused/concerned that her bomb managed to deal so much damage, and then later Rufus talks about how his dad ruled by fear. I think the reveal itself is good, but it definitely could have been placed/timed better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat i only got two moogle medals whats the thing you unlock with 3

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Vandar posted:

That how I handled fighting it.

Was it just me or did Guard Scorpion feel like it was way too much of a damage sponge and had too much health?

Yeah, that's basically my only complaint about the demo completion not carrying over. "I have to fight that again?!"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Also in a demo full of relatively great visual design Jessie's incredibly form-fitting chrome boob armor is just awful. I appreciate the overall fidelity to the original designs but it's real bad folks

I'm more concerned that pedal pushers seems to be an official part of the Avalanche 'uniform'.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jessie is cool aeris who

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought that overall the demo was neat, but am gonna need confirmation that the game's got plenty of stuff that isn't linear, combat laden corridors before I commit to buying it. Also even though I found the combat to be enjoyable, I might switch it to easy just so that it's faster, because the bosses/minibosses seem kinda HP spongey.

More promising than I thought it looked before playing it, though, which is a good sign.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Super No Vacancy posted:

drat i only got two moogle medals whats the thing you unlock with 3

Afaict moogle medals are either random drops or the game remembers which ones you've already picked up and doesn't make them available again in subsequent playthroughs (seems less likely since they appear in the Key Items tab but they don't remain if you play the demo again). The first time I played I got two back to back around the laser section and maybe a third sometime later while the second time I played I only found one after beating Guard Scorpion. The unlock is actually (probably?) tied to the 20 minute setting on the bomb, it's an additional video segment at the end of the demo. I got it both times despite my moogle medal difference.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man. Righteous gospel warrior of The Lord Planet is like the perfect new characterisation of Barret god drat.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

It auto guards, I think. The dodge roll you get from hitting the o button is kind of a trap because as far as I could tell it doesn't have iframes and most enemy attacks track way too well to dodge them unless you're already pretty far away.
The dodge is good for avoiding certain moves that you can see enemies casting over their name, like Guard Scorpion's EMP Field - you can roll out of the area of effect from melee range before it goes off. It's not so great for regular projectiles or (for Cloud) melee attacks you could just counter in Punisher instead.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ymgve posted:

Just played through the Midgar part of the original FF7, and I really hope there is some content beyond that in the remake, or the game will be like 6 hours long. Somehow that part felt much longer two decades ago.
I'm glad you brought this up, you should tell the developers immediately, as obviously they haven't thought of that. Can't believe everyone's getting excited for a 3 hour game SMH

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What kind of I-frames do you have on the dodge? I swear I dodged, but I still got owned by the scorpion's EMP field.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The EMP field felt pretty rough. If it was a tiny bit slower or had a little less area it'd be fine, but as-is its easy to get caught mid-attack and dodge but still get hit because you were in melee range.

If the game wants to have you do fast reactionary dodges then they need to cut out the attack queueing, its too easy to get caught in a string of attacks and have no chance to respond in time.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Loved the demo over all but the HP sponge boss. Also, some of the battling/commands at times felt a bit clunky but I think once you have a full party with materia/more options that won't be a problem. This demo has made me so pumped up though, can't believe we have to wait another month for the actual game... Then the biggest problem will be only getting a 3rd of a game and waiting at least a couple more years for the rest. Thinking of that makes me calm down.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
1997: Want to play FF7 demo, need to buy a Tobal #1 that I don't want

2020: Want to play FF7 demo, need to buy a PS4 that I don't want

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Boy howdy does this speak to me

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

What kind of I-frames do you have on the dodge? I swear I dodged, but I still got owned by the scorpion's EMP field.

I think it's kind of like Xenoblade Chronicles, FF13 etc in that even though you can move around and it looks like you could dodge stuff if you tried, everything just tracks to you if you're in range. So, uh, no iframes, just running very far away for certain attacks.

Under the hood it's probably more similar to a typucal turn based jrpg than it looks, except you can hammer x and sometimes triangle to make your atb gauge fill faster, do bonus damage and kill weak mooks.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the boss is really HP spongey if you're focusing on what it says to do. Each phase has different weaknesses which help you massively boost the stagger gauge and once you do you just go open season on it. (Probably worth saving Limit Break for a stagger phase too.)

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Kith posted:

It was pretty heavily implied in the original that Shinra were the ones who blew the reactor. Jessie straight-up says in the hideout that she was confused/concerned that her bomb managed to deal so much damage, and then later Rufus talks about how his dad ruled by fear.

it's backwards from there - Rufus says daddy ruled by money, and he wants to rule by fear.

Rufus was a better villain than Sephiroth and I hope he gets a good shake here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For people who are dealing with Guard Scorpion being too much of a damage sponge, remember to keep slamming it with thunder, which will generate huge amounts of stagger, and also smash through the barrier it throws up in Phase 2. Each leg you shatter in the final phase also makes stagger go up.

This is very XIII in that you want to hit staggers fast, and do all your damage in that burst period. You can take him down absurdly quick if you do that. 5 minutes is the speed kill I've seen. and that's without staggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRH5Mkb8Mt8

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2020

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

get out of my head

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I had a rough go with the Guard Scorpion, but it was because I was ignoring most of the strategy, as I just wanted to hit it with my big af sword.

Barrett handing Cloud the bomb with his "Now show your one of us! :smug:" and Cloud once again saying hes just here for the money to see Barrett's jaw drop made me laugh out loud.

rear end in a top hat Cloud remains best Cloud.

So far, game is beautiful, the twist is definitely something, but its something I actually like that they changed? Combat is fun (and it also means all the ridiculous stuff they do in AC is drat near canon now.)

Honestly my biggest gripe was that they gave Cloud the Fire Materia, and Barrett Lightning / Restore. Cloud starts with Ice / Lightning. :colbert: Also where was my Assault Gun drop for Barrett?

Edit:

I just realized I have learned nothing from Elentor, I didnt throw a grenade the whole fight.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 3, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Barret doesn't know how to use materia!!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
On my second playthrough the scorpion boss was way easier. Lightning the first part, fire the second part and use physical attacks, limit break and spam abilities the rest of the time.

My biggest complaint is the camera. I literally can't tell when the tail is up when I'm up close in melee. And I can't change camera angles when I'm locked on. I even changed the camera distance in the menu and I can't tell the difference from normal. I want everything to zoom WAY the gently caress out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Onmi posted:

This is very XIII in that you want to hit staggers fast, and do all your damage in that burst period. You can take him down absurdly quick if you do that. 5 minutes is the speed kill I've seen. and that's without staggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRH5Mkb8Mt8

5 minutes is still a pretty long fight, especially for a tutorial boss. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that it was overtuned a little specifically for the demo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:psyduck: so many people who don't realize shinra blew up the reactor in the original game too

Talk to Jessie in the inn after the first bombing run and she tells you she must have made a mistake with the bomb, it went off way bigger than it should have. And Shinra implies the same thing with his waste of fireworks comment on the second bombing run

It's a lot more subtle in the first game and a lot of the comments in this thread so far is a good example of why square made it much more clearer this time around

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the full game lets you adjust the materia situation. It kinda feels like they gave Barrett the thunder materia specifically so that you're not just using Cloud in the boss fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone suggested that there be a sidequest where you watch Stamp with Marlene?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone suggested that there be a sidequest where you watch Stamp with Marlene?

That's the play you put on at the Gold Saucer:
Stamp's Big Date

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wish I could vote for both Tifa AND the correct Aeris spelling. Sad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finished the demo, it's great.

Cloud with Jessie and Tifa with Aeris are the good ships, I declare.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finished the demo, it's great.

Cloud with Jessie and Tifa with Aeris are the good ships, I declare.

This is CloudxBarrett erasure.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Game is absolutely great and fun. A few points:

Barrets triangle was never used by the AI. Everytime id switch to Barret it would be available. Is there a way in the full version to set some AI protocols?

The Dodge masters at the end is definitely a sign you can't just spam attacks and quickly get through the fight. Once I paused and thought things through it definitely felt more engaging for the combat.

Shooting as Barret was extremely fun and satisfying. Mashing triangle to get it back up was a little frantic and definitely increased the tension.

Linking ATB to using items and materia will also make it a lot more interesting. Means when your character is about to die it seems you just gotta go ham for a few seconds to be able to get a heal off.

I thought I smashed every crate and opened every box and I guess I only got 1 moogle thing. Kinda interesting.

Game is gorgeous. Like, it looks wow.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like it’s loving sad/hilarious that SE would waste that much money on developing proprietary engines when they could just pump out something that looks as great as this in Unreal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HD DAD posted:

Like it’s loving sad/hilarious that SE would waste that much money on developing proprietary engines when they could just pump out something that looks as great as this in Unreal.

I mean that's literally one of the reasons FFXIV 1.0 almost killed the company. They've learned their lessons the hard way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OxySnake posted:

This is CloudxBarrett erasure.

Look, Barett is Cloud's new Dad, not his lover. IMHO.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Utgardaloki posted:

it's backwards from there - Rufus says daddy ruled by money, and he wants to rule by fear.

Rufus was a better villain than Sephiroth and I hope he gets a good shake here.

My memory is not what it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:psyduck: so many people who don't realize shinra blew up the reactor in the original game too

Talk to Jessie in the inn after the first bombing run and she tells you she must have made a mistake with the bomb, it went off way bigger than it should have. And Shinra implies the same thing with his waste of fireworks comment on the second bombing run

It's a lot more subtle in the first game and a lot of the comments in this thread so far is a good example of why square made it much more clearer this time around

President Shinra says the fireworks will be wasted in response to Barret telling him that the AVALANCHE bomb will be going off soon:

Barret: Don't give a drat 'bout none of that! This place's goin' up with a big BANG soon! Serves y'all right!

President Shinra: And such a waste of good fireworks, just to get rid of vermin like you...

Barret: VERMIN!? That's all you can say... VERMIN! Y'all Shinra're the VERMIN, killing the planet! And that makes you King VERMIN! So shu'up jackass!

(Also in X-2 there is an optional boss called King VERMIN! Not really relevant but awesome)