Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How was untucked? I haven't been able to get through it the last few years just due to I think bad chemistry (and maybe because the memory of season 2-6's vastly superior Untucked burn in my mind) but this seems like a friendly bunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

How was untucked? I haven't been able to get through it the last few years just due to I think bad chemistry (and maybe because the memory of season 2-6's vastly superior Untucked burn in my mind) but this seems like a friendly bunch?

Early untucked episodes are always boring, I think, and this was no different.

Seems like they were setting up some angle where Brita feels slighted or is underestimated, but that's it.

Nobody from this set seems super annoying, yet.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I've watched the LSFYL maybe 5-6 times now, I just love the two different vibes but both were great. Gigi might be my favorite so far, I latched onto her as one to watch after MtQ. I hope she'll be around for awhile. I didn't expect to like Widow so much either but she was amazing. Can't wait to see what else is in her bag of tricks.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aiden, Jan and Rock M Sakura next week.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I already can't wait for Sakura to go home

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

Heidi was very upset about Nicki Minaj's comments about her makeup. Nicki came backstage to say hi to the queens, and Heidi launched at her asking why she hates her face.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you're on TV, on a show known for drama, and a famous rapper just came for you? I'd be tearing down the curtains and throwing a drink at her, bitch.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
They should do this format for the first 2 episodes every season. It's much easier to remember who is who. When they all show up for the first episode it's so confusing. Doubly so because having to remember who is who as a boy and a girl sucks for my horrid memory.

Edit: Last edit was for wrong thread

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 2, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I am a complete newbie to the show so it seemed online that one of best seasons to start is on Season 6 and goddamn did it not dissapoint.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

should start at the very beginning. it's a very good place to start.

alternately, season 4 or 5

e: 3 is the best season but better appreciated after you've been in for a hot minute imo

e2: wait 2 is also an excellent place to start

poo poo

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Imo season 4 is the best start, after that go back and watch 1-3, so there's more context. After that it's just downhill, almost linearly, from 5 till 11.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

4 gives you a bit of everything, especially with Untucked.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to have to rank the seasons when I get home, aren't I?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

2-5 are honestly all perfect to me in different ways. 3 is hands down the most competitive season and imho most impressive.

if we're including all-stars then AS2 is also included in this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh man, well I will be binging even more

Should I wait for all stars after i finish every season?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh man, well I will be binging even more

Should I wait for all stars after i finish every season?

I would, especially if you don't know much about who winners are/etc from the internet. At least wait 'til you've seen the relevant seasons. This gets easier when they start releasing normal seasons and All Stars back to back. Only 1 and 2 are really far apart from eachother. And 1 is a choice. Worth watching imo but not a good season of drag race. But it has some of the best queens in it so

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Season 3 has incredible competitors but that awful, awful Heathers subplot that is really unpleasant to sit through in Untucked.

The bonus of watching Season 8+ is that you never have to see Santino Rice again

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eej posted:

Season 3 has incredible competitors but that awful, awful Heathers subplot that is really unpleasant to sit through in Untucked.

The bonus of watching Season 8+ is that you never have to see Santino Rice again

Without the Heathers subplot we would never have Tullegate and Shangela crowning herself the Nancy Drew of Drag.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Silver linings I guess!

It's just really petty bullying which you kinda want to believe that an entire group of people who have been bullied their whole lives wouldn't stoop to but they do

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was just a different era of reality TV, really. Same thing happens to Tatianna in S2, and to an extent Jinkx in S5. Though in both of those cases Tati and Jinkx stood their ground (tho it's been said Jinkx's edit kinda removed a lot to make her look more like a victim lmbo).

I like that in my reality tv drag competition that began as a parody of Project Runway and ANTM mixed with Ru's old VH1 show. The stuff that has aged the worst is some of the language and overall attitude toward diff LGBT identities, tho, which is just a sad fact of TV back then.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I think being able to binge the seasons will also make some of the lesser cycles better. S11 wasn't that bad, but it went. on. so. long. and not having to wait a week could only make it better.

(season 6 best season)

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Season 5 was my what pulled me in enough to go back through and watch everything. I think S5 and AS2 are just perfect seasons of TV.

Everything from 3 through 7 is pretty great and thoroughly entertaining and 2/8/9/10 aren't bad TV and have wonderful moments.

Also, despite deserved hate, AS1 and 3 are great too. Just flawed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jinkx is hands down my favourite winner. Season 5 is amazing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Imo AS2 had the best drag out of every season. Hilarious shocking, amazing. It also had pretty good drama storyline with the whole Alyssa/phi phi thing, but otherwise there wasn't much drama.

AS 3 had a ton of good stuff, and probably the biggest season twist so far on drag race, but the drag wasn't as good as AS 2. Still extremely good drag, definitely top 5 of all seasons drag wise.

AS4 wasn't bad, just a bit forgettable

AS1 was a poo poo show and is debatably the worst season of drag race, both normal and all stars.

My personal All Stars rankings.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mimi Imfurst was number third in the voting? I could NOT believe it.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

AS1, like its winner, is unfairly overlooked. I can't be convinced otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like AS1. It's a very weak season challenge wise, and the duos idea was terrible. But that cast (other than Mimi) is loving perfect. Yes, even Pandora. People forget she was everyone's fan fave til AS1 happened and everyone turned on her.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
90% of the good stuff about AS1 happened in the first episode

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

esperterra posted:

Mimi Imfurst was number third in the voting? I could NOT believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvhqJsy9miE

Bird of Paradise gets me every time

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Juju and Raven should have been double-eliminated...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Eej posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvhqJsy9miE

Bird of Paradise gets me every time

Well guess what, Mimi? We did.

God I love Raven.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
As fantastic as this premiere was, it's sad to see the racist part of the fanbase already scrambling to explain why the overhyped skinny white fashion queen was "robbed" of the lipsync win! (This isn't a jab at anyone in this thread; I'm more referring to the usual social media crowd on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

I joked with my partner that Widow has added a couple of new moves to the list of "Oh god, how many young gays are gonna end up hurting themselves while trying to duplicate this in their bedroom mirror?"

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 3, 2020

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Read After Burning posted:

As fantastic as this premiere was, it's sad to see the racist part of the fanbase already scrambling to explain why the overhyped skinny white fashion queen was "robbed" of the lipsync win! (This isn't a jab at anyone in this thread; I'm more referring to the usual social media crowd on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

I joked with my partner that Widow has added a couple of new moves to the list of "Oh god, how many young gays are gonna end up hurting themselves while trying to duplicate this in their bedroom mirror?"

Man really? Gigi got destroyed in that lip sync, I'm actually worried for Widow if anything because when she has to lip sync again it looks like she's already pulled out every trick she has.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I liked some of the comedy bits in Gigi's lipsync like emphasizing that she can't move in those tight pants by slowly working her way to the floor. Widow had the fuckin moves though. That running backwards split slide was fantastic. It's interesting to see the split premiere format again. The first set of girls were impressive, looks like it'll be a fun season!

I bought the show on Amazon again this season and mannnnnn, it's lame that they don't combine Drag Race and Untucked into one show. I'm totally fine with paying $25 for Season 12 but an additional $20 for Untucked feels excessive.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Especially considering the new Untucked format used to just be available on YouTube after an episode aired.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/trixiemattel/status/1234879133500559361?s=21

it feels like RPDR is more sanitized by the season and I feel like a massive part of that is the pandering to younger female fans.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

angerbeet posted:

If you're on TV, on a show known for drama, and a famous rapper just came for you? I'd be tearing down the curtains and throwing a drink at her, bitch.

I assumed the celebrities all have bodyguards waiting behind the camera in case they get swarmed by 10 overexcited drag queens.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

goodog posted:

I assumed the celebrities all have bodyguards waiting behind the camera in case they get swarmed by 10 overexcited drag queens.

Aka the Silky rule...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poulpe posted:

Man really? Gigi got destroyed in that lip sync, I'm actually worried for Widow if anything because when she has to lip sync again it looks like she's already pulled out every trick she has.

It's two completely different styles of lipsync and probably why (I think) they spent extra time showing both Gigi and Widow with Ru reacting to both to emphasize that they both did well. Widow's acrobatics look way flashier on TV but Gigi's back and forth comedy-sexy doesn't really come through as well when Widow's on the same stage flipping everywhere.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Eej posted:

It's two completely different styles of lipsync and probably why (I think) they spent extra time showing both Gigi and Widow with Ru reacting to both to emphasize that they both did well. Widow's acrobatics look way flashier on TV but Gigi's back and forth comedy-sexy doesn't really come through as well when Widow's on the same stage flipping everywhere.

This is a super white take on it. Wow. It's definitely two different approaches to the song, but Gigi was literally one note. You could watch five seconds of hers and be done. There were no gasps for Gigi, very few reaction shots, and most of Gigi's screen time was her walking in front of Widow.

Not to mention both Gigi and Jackie have TERRIBLE runway energy. It's the most boring thing in the world watching them walk a runway. They look like mole women appearing in the light for the first time. And that's basically how Gigi lip syncs if she's not doing her vibrating go crazy schtick, which is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's not a nice thing to say