Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I prefer the time three (four?) different trailers used Invaders Must Die at a single E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody tried https://store.steampowered.com/app/339580/Ember/ or https://store.steampowered.com/app/424250/Balrum/ ? they're on steep sale at the moment, so I'm eyeing them but I'd appreciate other people's opinions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh hey Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic is on sale for 20$, anyone up for laying concrete for roads? The Three Moves Ahead podcast mentioned it as one of the best games of 2019 because one of the people in the podcast is one hell of a nerd.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've played Balrum. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Have you played any of the Eschalon games? It plays a lot like that, very retro and lo-fi. The most unusual and unique thing about it is that you have a persistent base that is fully customizable, top-down 2D Minecraft style, to which you can teleport at any point and at will. The world seemed very big and intricate to me, but I played it over 2 years ago now and I'm not sure how far the game has come or failed to come in the meantime.

Ember I have never played, but at under a dollar, I am grabbing it on principle. Looks to be worth that much at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

remember that time gears of war had an artsy trailer set to mad world

gears of war

I found it kind of funny
I found it kind of sad

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cowcaster posted:

remember that time gears of war had an artsy trailer set to mad world

gears of war

Remember when EA made fun of it on their Battlefield: Bad Company trailer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bad Company was pretty funny. Then BC2 happened.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh hey Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic is on sale for 20$, anyone up for laying concrete for roads? The Three Moves Ahead podcast mentioned it as one of the best games of 2019 because one of the people in the podcast is one hell of a nerd.

Be warned going into this game that it is super, massively eurojank. Like doing something like building a house is a difficult process to get working when you're starting out, things aren't explained well at all.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is on sale at the moment, is it decent?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Goat simulator's trailer was a spoof of Dead Island's, which was certainly something.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

Goat simulator's trailer was a spoof of Dead Island's, which was certainly something.

Man, Goat Simulator was such a beautiful moment we all lived together.

Talking about game trailers, what happened to that game that did the bait-and-switch from "writers of Edith Finch" into "developers of Painkiller"?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dias posted:

Man, Goat Simulator was such a beautiful moment we all lived together.

Talking about game trailers, what happened to that game that did the bait-and-switch from "writers of Edith Finch" into "developers of Painkiller"?

WITCHFIRE.

Which is really just :discourse:

E: But it also makes me sad for that abortive Techland undead crusaders melee game or whatever that was.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 2, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orv posted:

WITCHFIRE.

E: But it also makes me sad for that abortive Techland undead crusaders melee game or whatever that was.

Ah, it was Vanishing of Ethan Carter, not Edith Finch. I wanna give that game a look just because of that joke, really. Seems like it's still cooking, also it's kinda RPGish?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it sounds like it's getting pretty weird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I've played Balrum. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Have you played any of the Eschalon games? It plays a lot like that, very retro and lo-fi. The most unusual and unique thing about it is that you have a persistent base that is fully customizable, top-down 2D Minecraft style, to which you can teleport at any point and at will. The world seemed very big and intricate to me, but I played it over 2 years ago now and I'm not sure how far the game has come or failed to come in the meantime.

Ember I have never played, but at under a dollar, I am grabbing it on principle. Looks to be worth that much at least.
I played some of the first Eschalon game but all i remember was that it was real slow. I mean, like, just moving around and stuff, not talking about the plot or anything.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alright alright I'm on it, I'll watch Army of Darkness soon.

Evil Dead 2 is also great. The original Evil Dead is also good, but less parody and more loving homage to gory horror b-movies.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zathril posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is on sale at the moment, is it decent?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's the closest thing to Final Fantasy Tactics I've seen in awhile. There are interesting classes and you can mix and match secondary, reactionary, etc. skills.

Some of the extra options can add a lot of difficulty to the game if that's your thing. You can also edit an INI file (the game files provide instructions) to make things as easy/hard as you want. I personally kicked up the job point earn rates a bit.

The story is standard fare, so if you are looking for something deep in your tile battler I would suggest something else.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

WITCHFIRE.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226920/Hellraid/

I will never remove this game from my wishlist

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Drizvolta posted:

“The game will be released in Steam Early Access in Autumn 2014.” :lol:

Do you think they still even remember that they were making that some point?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Bad Company was pretty funny. Then BC2 happened.

BC2 had some funny bits, but for some reason they only happened if you stood around after clearing an area of enemies. Not that that saves the campaign. I certainly never finished it.

Multiplayer was good, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drizvolta posted:

I was bummed as hell when they canceled this

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Orv posted:

Yeah it sounds like it's getting pretty weird.

Yeah it's a shame they're disappearing up Destiny's rear end in a top hat. Especially when it comes to things that Bungie is absolutely awful at, like player movement and most of the gun feel.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

hey dude why are you standing in the dark

lemme just turn on my flashlight and get a look at you ---

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ragequit posted:

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's the closest thing to Final Fantasy Tactics I've seen in awhile. There are interesting classes and you can mix and match secondary, reactionary, etc. skills.

Some of the extra options can add a lot of difficulty to the game if that's your thing. You can also edit an INI file (the game files provide instructions) to make things as easy/hard as you want. I personally kicked up the job point earn rates a bit.

The story is standard fare, so if you are looking for something deep in your tile battler I would suggest something else.

I care very little about the story, so here's the real question: can you skip and/or speed up cutscenes?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

I care very little about the story, so here's the real question: can you skip and/or speed up cutscenes?

You can indeed straight up skip cutscenes, or fly through the dialog as needed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah it's a shame they're disappearing up Destiny's rear end in a top hat. Especially when it comes to things that Bungie is absolutely awful at, like player movement and most of the gun feel.

Uh

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Walked into mirror universe again, drat it

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ragequit posted:

You can indeed straight up skip cutscenes, or fly through the dialog as needed.

Sold! There's only so much L I T T L E M O N E Y one can take.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShootaBoy posted:

Be warned going into this game that it is super, massively eurojank. Like doing something like building a house is a difficult process to get working when you're starting out, things aren't explained well at all.
I don't know that I'd call that Eurojank. What's there works fairly consistently and in a way anchored in real supply chains so its not qualifying under the fortunate bug or magical world view. Its dense but if you set the difficulty right you have the chance to play with how things work to get an idea of how to really build things the old fashioned way instead of funneling dollars into contractors.

Dense is probably an understatement. Building your first tenement is a lot like building a monument in an Impressions game and the erections only get better after that.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

DatonKallandor posted:

but thats the only thing bungie does well

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Drizvolta posted:

I am so pissed they killed Hellraid. I mean, I'm glad Dying Light's worked out for them, but I was way more excited for Hellraid than Dying Light.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

catlord posted:

I am so pissed they killed Hellraid. I mean, I'm glad Dying Light's worked out for them, but I was way more excited for Hellraid than Dying Light.

I never heard of/saw this game before but after watching the trailer on Steam from that link, I really really want it to exist. The fact that it never will makes me sad.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is the Borderlands Lilith DLC that bridges the gap between 2 and 3 worth picking up? I just noticed it's on sale

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone tried The Suicide of Rachel Foster? Seems like one of those walky sim murder mystery games but it's the first time I've seen it come up in my recommended queue. It just came out a few days ago.
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1232589441409130497
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1232594375345131520

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-suicide-of-rachel-foster-review/

"But where thoughtful storytelling elevated the walking sims that influenced it so heavily, The Suicide of Rachel Foster falls short. What begins as a compelling ghost story turns quickly into a melodramatic soap opera that churns sensitive topics like suicide, child grooming, and teenage pregnancy into baseless drama to the point where it's just plain gross.
The relationship is even more worrying because it's seen as romantic. An attic with fairy lights hangs above a bed where sketches of the teenager posing naked lie scattered on top. There's a line where Rachel is described as 'mature for her age' as if it's some sort of excuse to her father's relationship with the teenager. It made me cringe, especially as the game's marketing focuses on Rachel's retainer, an object that emphasises how young she is.

The most damaging aspect of how the game frames this relationship is that Rachel has no voice throughout the entire game. For a character whose name is in the title of the game, I know very little about her. No letters, no flashbacks, no pages from a diary, nothing that attempts at giving her any voice. I barely know anything about this character apart from the fact that she was groomed starting when she was young, got pregnant by a man three times her age, and then took her own life. Rachel's story is not melancholic or poetic as the game represents it, it's just irresponsible."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uh :eyepop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The United States posted:

"But where thoughtful storytelling elevated the walking sims that influenced it so heavily, The Suicide of Rachel Foster falls short. What begins as a compelling ghost story turns quickly into a melodramatic soap opera that churns sensitive topics like suicide, child grooming, and teenage pregnancy into baseless drama to the point where it's just plain gross.
The relationship is even more worrying because it's seen as romantic. An attic with fairy lights hangs above a bed where sketches of the teenager posing naked lie scattered on top. There's a line where Rachel is described as 'mature for her age' as if it's some sort of excuse to her father's relationship with the teenager. It made me cringe, especially as the game's marketing focuses on Rachel's retainer, an object that emphasises how young she is.

The most damaging aspect of how the game frames this relationship is that Rachel has no voice throughout the entire game. For a character whose name is in the title of the game, I know very little about her. No letters, no flashbacks, no pages from a diary, nothing that attempts at giving her any voice. I barely know anything about this character apart from the fact that she was groomed starting when she was young, got pregnant by a man three times her age, and then took her own life. Rachel's story is not melancholic or poetic as the game represents it, it's just irresponsible."

i didnt know the ren & stimpy creator made a game

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Foldit/status/1233510766336233473

If you like puzzle games, this is worth checking out. You get to work on a hard problem and the results might be useful.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The United States posted:

"uh actually is ephib(shits self violently then proceeds to roll around in own feces)"

- the developer, probably

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Drizvolta posted:

drat, that brings back memories. Also for the other cancelled Templar-themed game from Arkane The Crossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Career Suicide of One-on-One Games