Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They're both comedies but Midsommar is more obvious about it.

Edit: that was one of the more bizarre autocorrects I've ever encountered but ok

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Well I'm lost

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I absolutely got some wires crossed and thought we were talking about Midsommar haha drat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sometimes I feel like the only person who didn’t like Midsommar or Hereditary. They’re both fine, but I do not understand the huge following and near-universal acclaim they have.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Whether Hereditary is comedy depends on your point of view and meaning... If you mean haha funny then no, I don't see how. If you mean a happy ending then for some characters yes, for some no, but I think from the audience perspective it's a tragedy. Characters are tormented and driven near to madness for reasons they don't understand and that was what was effective about it. I just wish it had been more psychological thriller than evil cult movie, but that's just me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wormil posted:

Hereditary left me not knowing how to feel, I don't know if I liked it, I have no idea how to rate it. It is well acted and directed with an ominous sound track but not very inspired, clever, or original. It's a good movie but not great.

The way it treats a horrific outcome as triumphant is pretty original. It's what I find most disturbing about it and Midsommar.

I don't think either is a comedy though each has funny bits.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:peanut:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Outsider (Hulu with HBO) has gone from pretty good with a tinge of hokey to full on third gear Stephen King scary as hell. People who have read the book, please don't spoil the inevitable Stephen King terrible ending.

I really liked In The Tall Grass (Netflix), right through, although I guess he wrote that with his son.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 3, 2020

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!
The good news: Terriers is streaming again. The bad news: it's on Hulu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkb8h5P3-zw

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Terriers is one of those shows like Party Down or (sue me) Firefly which was too good for this awful world and so it died long before its time. But what little we got is beautiful and precious. Anyone into neo-noir owes it to themselves to check out Terriers. It's kind of on the same wavelength as Veronica Mars but instead of neo-noir mixed with high school drama set in not-San Diego, it's neo-noir straight set in actual San Diego.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yep every time Terriers pops up in here I get all misty eyed and sad that it was never given a second season. Just a fun, good show with great chemistry between the leads.

goddammit. whoever made the decision to cancel it: gently caress you

is there another buddy detective show similar to it? From what I know about it Psych comes to mind but I've never seen it. Stumptown maybe...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Terriers is one of those shows like Party Down or (sue me) Firefly which was too good for this awful world and so it died long before its time. But what little we got is beautiful and precious. Anyone into neo-noir owes it to themselves to check out Terriers. It's kind of on the same wavelength as Veronica Mars but instead of neo-noir mixed with high school drama set in not-San Diego, it's neo-noir straight set in actual San Diego.

It's probably time I give it another shot. I watched the first episode a few years back and nothing about it connected with me. But I love neo-noir and should be a sucker for what it's selling.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh hey this reminds me that Lodge 49 is streaming on Hulu. It’s probably my favorite show of the last decade and was cancelled after its second season

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Watched I Am Not Okay With This on Netflix and found it pretty enjoyable. 7 short episodes, easy to binge through.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Watched I Am Not Okay With This on Netflix and found it pretty enjoyable. 7 short episodes, easy to binge through.

I also thought it was great. I got extreme Life is Strange vibes from it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tainen posted:

I also thought it was great. I got extreme Life is Strange vibes from it.

I'm sold.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

10 Beers posted:

Just watched this in one sitting, was great! Left me wanting more for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadite posted:

Oh hey this reminds me that Lodge 49 is streaming on Hulu. It’s probably my favorite show of the last decade and was cancelled after its second season

I liked it too but I'm amazed it even got a second season.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Now that FX is on Hulu, what's a good choice to start with? I've already seen The Shield and Terriers and have my eyes set on Justified.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hmmxkrazee posted:

Now that FX is on Hulu, what's a good choice to start with? I've already seen The Shield and Terriers and have my eyes set on Justified.

Justified is fantastic, get on it. You're the Worst is a fantastic Dramedy.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

hmmxkrazee posted:

The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story is a must IMO.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Baskets is a great dramedy that barely anyone watched

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Wilfred

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

:hmmyes:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The FX is now on Hulu marketing has been weird. FX has been on Hulu since forever. Did it go away at one point?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Because Hulu is now the official streaming service of FX instead of just carrying the shows. FX+ was shut down a few months ago in anticipation of the Disney deal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's also confusing because Mrs. America is billed as being on "FX on Hulu", which is an odd way of saying it's on Hulu exclusively.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even know there was an FX app.

Does that mean FX shows are on Hulu right after they air now? I hate waiting a whole year to see new Sunny.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Watching it now. I can't believe that "supernatural happenings in an upper class Anywhere, USA set in a purposely vague undefined time period anywhere between 1985-2005" is a definable genre. But it is good.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Strangely Pose isn't on Hulu (yet?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh poo poo. The newest season of Sunny is up. I wish I had known that an hour sooner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Baskets is a great dramedy that barely anyone watched

gently caress yeah, it's incredible. The first several episodes of season 2 are way up there on my all time favorite list

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Medullah posted:

Justified is fantastic, get on it. You're the Worst is a fantastic Dramedy.

I love You're the Worst so much, and also there are stretches that are intolerably dark. It's a good show to binge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

precision posted:

gently caress yeah, it's incredible. The first several episodes of season 2 are way up there on my all time favorite list

I know I’ve talked about it in various threads a billion times, but Louie Anderson’s portrayal of Christine is so genuinely sweet and endearing that at times I honestly forgot it was him under the wig and dress. On paper, that family dynamic and those characters read like SNL bits but they’re all so well done and heartfelt that it just loving works somehow. The episode with Chip’s time in Paris and his sad attempts to recreate his one happy moment in the present is one of my favorite tv episodes of anything from the last ten years.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

hmmxkrazee posted:

Justified is my favourite series. You'll find that season 1 might be a bit episodic, but it will tie in eventually. Season 2 is some of the best out there and the series (to me) doesn't let up.
The ending is fantastic too, so no worries about it fizzling out.

Next one's coming faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsOHiTXLzY

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This FX on Hulu stuff sounds like a good excuse to rewatch season 1 of What We Do In the Shadows.

And Justified kicks rear end. Though a lot of it is on Amazon Prime so I’d jump over there if you’re using an ad version of Hulu.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fartington Butts posted:

This FX on Hulu stuff sounds like a good excuse to rewatch season 1 of What We Do In the Shadows.

And Justified kicks rear end. Though a lot of it is on Amazon Prime so I’d jump over there if you’re using an ad version of Hulu.

It's only on Amazon Prime for purchase. Hulu's the only place streaming it with subscription.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I feel like I’m the only person who didn’t like Justified. I thought season two was great but after that it just turned into the standard “cop breaks laws but everyone looks the other way because he gets results!” cliche of a show. I liked how Raylan only cared about Marshall business at first but that stance goes out the window pretty quick.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Boosh! posted:

The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story is a must IMO.

This, plus Fargo, assuming that's on there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ooh yeah I was trying to figure out what to watch and I never got around to season 3 of Fargo.