Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

My radio told me that 16% of people were unsure if there was a connection between drinking the beer and getting the virus.

Also that sales of Corona are down overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is that true? I was thinking about it the other day and I thought overall Corona would have seen a massive boost. I know the news made me think I haven't had a Corona beer in a while and I'd be more likely to buy one next time i'm at the bar, I'd think the same for loads of people, plus the people buying them just to make a Corona virus joke. I can't imagine the people who actually believe they are connected is a large percentage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some study just came out that said 38% of Americans thought there was a link between Corona Beer and the Corona Virus, so today is not the day you are rewarded for thinking highly of the average american.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Barudak posted:

Some study just came out that said 38% of Americans thought there was a link between Corona Beer and the Corona Virus, so today is not the day you are rewarded for thinking highly of the average american.

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1233415220565073921

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
While that may be true there's still certainly a bunch of dumb people out there. When swine flu was all over the news I bought a bunch of pork ribs because the market fell out and were <$.99/lb. Same thing happened in the late 90s with beef due to mad cow disease. Well with that one there was a risk but it was so statistically insignificant I didn't care. Cheap steak, hell yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Croatoan posted:

While that may be true there's still certainly a bunch of dumb people out there. When swine flu was all over the news I bought a bunch of pork ribs because the market fell out and were <$.99/lb. Same thing happened in the late 90s with beef due to mad cow disease. Well with that one there was a risk but it was so statistically insignificant I didn't care. Cheap steak, hell yeah.
How appropriate, you post like a cow!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

This is why you can't trust the claims of surveys unless you can actually see their methodology. They are incredibly easy to manipulate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is why you can't trust the claims of surveys unless you can actually see their methodology. They are incredibly easy to manipulate.

I think the saying is “There are lies, damned lies, and statistics”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It also doesn't help that the news regularly takes perfectly legitimate studies and morphs them into whatever headlines/news bytes they want based on the tiniest kernel of what was actually in them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That and the questions and how they're asked plays a role. As someone in marketing I can tell you for sure that if I want a favorable response to a question I put it in the survey behind two questions I'm guaranteed a favorable response to, and the inverse works nearly as well.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt Corona beer sells also down because theres also other mexican beers that are around the same price but (slightly)better?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Corona beer sells also down because theres also other mexican beers that are around the same price but (slightly)better?

Corona is just not good beer. There's massive market saturation in the adjunct lager field with most of the beers tasting about the same, so otherwise small differences in price, marketing, and quality matter a lot. They were already having trouble last year because of the increase in cannabis as a recreational drug, changing trends in drinking and in beer specifically, and going for canning to save money.

The issue with canning is funny because it's actually an attempt at saving them from their biggest problem. Beer is extremely vulnerable to ultraviolet light, which causes a photochemical reaction leading to a "skunk" flavor. A trained taster can taste the difference with as little as 30 seconds of exposure. Brown bottles protect beer pretty well from skunking, while cans and draft kegs make it impervious to damage (which is one of the reasons craft breweries have begun heavily using cans, despite their previous image as being only for cheap beer). Green bottles like in Heineken provide minimal protection and Corona's clear bottles provide zero, which causes them to get skunked very quickly unless strictly stored out of the sunlight. This is the main reason they encourage you to put a lime wedge in the neck, to conceal the bad flavor. But they've become so dependent on the neat image of a clear bottle full of golden beer with a lime wedge as a cultural touchstone of summer drinking that switching to cans was proposed as potentially losing sales in the long term.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Most of the premium macro-brews (Corona, Heiny, Blue Moon, etc) have been struggling for a while at being in the Craft Beer price point while nowhere near Craft Beer quality.

Covid-19 was an extra punch to Corona when they were already down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

Most of the premium macro-brews (Corona, Heiny, Blue Moon, etc) have been struggling for a while at being in the Craft Beer price point while nowhere near Craft Beer quality.

Covid-19 was an extra punch to Corona when they were already down.

Anheuser-Busch's response was just to start buying up every craft beer producer who was willing to bite. They got Goose Island because they became so popular that they were struggling to keep up with demand, and they dangled a buyout with a fuckton of cash that kept them from closing.

I recommend reading Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling Out: Goose Island, Anheuser-Busch, and How Craft Beer Became Big Business by Josh Noel. It charts the rise of Goose Island initially, but it's mainly about the rise of craft beer starting in the 80s and 90s and how the major producers responded. Initially they ignored it entirely, but when their market share was actually threatened they began engaging in predatory business practices that ranged from simply buying up every craft brewery possible to finding ways to legally force liquor stores to only sell their product to keep independent breweries off the market.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

chitoryu12 posted:

Anheuser-Busch's response was just to start buying up every craft beer producer who was willing to bite. They got Goose Island because they became so popular that they were struggling to keep up with demand, and they dangled a buyout with a fuckton of cash that kept them from closing.

I recommend reading Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling Out: Goose Island, Anheuser-Busch, and How Craft Beer Became Big Business by Josh Noel. It charts the rise of Goose Island initially, but it's mainly about the rise of craft beer starting in the 80s and 90s and how the major producers responded. Initially they ignored it entirely, but when their market share was actually threatened they began engaging in predatory business practices that ranged from simply buying up every craft brewery possible to finding ways to legally force liquor stores to only sell their product to keep independent breweries off the market.

I loved Goose Island and the biggest craft brewer in my home state sold out to big capital as well (though Founders were super overrated anyway) so I'm well aware of all this bullshit.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Beer's gross, drink vodka. It's also gross, but it makes you stop feeling things and that is Good.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This is the menu from where we just ordered Chinese food at work.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is that perhaps the one in corona new york that google suggests for that

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

flatluigi posted:

is that perhaps the one in corona new york that google suggests for that

New York City, yes. Corona, no. The restaurant is in Brooklyn, Corona is in Queens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This, after every other YouTube channel clearly said their videos are "sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

This, after every other YouTube channel clearly said their videos are "sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends".

And dozen have pointed out they're paying top dollar to advertise even on small channels because their game is unfun trash

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When the best of the year game articles come out around December/January, I checked out one for best mobile games of 2019 and Raid wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Also, don't play mobile games, they're all trash. Especially the one you like.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know it’s annoying but in fairness Raid: Shadow Legends is a really good game. Easy to pick up, but lots of depth and complexity once you get into it. Nice graphics, some interesting additions to the formula and it’s a breeze to get online and start playing. Give it a chance and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I know it’s annoying but in fairness Raid: Shadow Legends is a really good game. Easy to pick up, but lots of depth and complexity once you get into it. Nice graphics, some interesting additions to the formula and it’s a breeze to get online and start playing. Give it a chance and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised

Aren’t you supposed to disclose sponsored comments?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Proteus Jones posted:

Aren’t you supposed to disclose sponsored comments?

You were supposed to say "more like olddisclosureless"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How much do you suppose he was paid for making that post, it's SA in 2020 so I assume $5

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

How much do you suppose he was paid for making that post

A single bite of the hotdog-egg beer-cheese waffle from the Good Tweets thread, I assume.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like oldshameless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Beer's gross, drink vodka. It's also gross, but it makes you stop feeling things and that is Good.

Whoa. I didn’t know we had professionals in here.

oldpainless posted:

Two of them!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like oldpr, uh, full.

I'm bad at this

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It does look nicer than your average phone game, or RPG on PC circa 2015. And it's fun for the first couple of hours, until the hardcore pay to win aspect kicks in. Basically, same as the rest of mobile games. You also get an in-game reward for rating it five stars, hence the ratings.

There are plenty of cool phone games that play nice, have interesting mechanics, and don't gouge you for money. Most of them you actually have to pay for, like normal games on other platforms.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You have to pay in-game currency to switch your weapons.

VVV: It's taken me ages to figure out what your shtick is. It's the naked apologist.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Mar 3, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Exactly! Which means players must carefully consider the situation and their opponents when making a decision thereby immersing themselves in the game. This adds a sense of tension and enriches the gaming experience. Another smart move in the hot new game people everywhere are playing, Raid: Shadow Legends.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oldpainless is a treasure

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

More like oldsellout.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You have to pay in-game currency to switch your weapons.

VVV: It's taken me ages to figure out what your shtick is. It's the naked apologist.

chitoryu12 posted:

More like oldsellout.

Whatever, y’all think what you want. Your insults don’t bother me in the slightest.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

But where I draw the line is someone insulting Raid: Shadow Legends, the hot new game taking the gaming community by storm. Awesome graphics, superior gameplay, countless innovations and welcoming to newbies whilst catering to the hardcore gamers. That’s Raid: Shadow Legends.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Please leave my friend oldpainless alone.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like olddebtless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

But where I draw the line is someone insulting Raid: Shadow Legends, the hot new game taking the gaming community by storm. Awesome graphics, superior gameplay, countless innovations and welcoming to newbies whilst catering to the hardcore gamers. That’s Raid: Shadow Legends.

Oldpainless, lately I've been living a pretty hectic life that only leaves me about 20 minutes of game time a night. Is Raid: Shadow Legends really the game for me?