Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ice Fist posted:

Limbs that reach zero, or “blacked”, cannot be healed without the use of a surgical kit.

You either need a SURV12 or a CMS kit. The major difference between the surgical kits is the SURV12 is one slot bigger, has more charges, and repairs broken bones.

After using a surgical kit the limb will have 1 health and have a slightly lower max health. But you’ll be able to heal the rest with a regular med kit.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I've seen the SURV12 kit, but never had one. I'm still someone who mostly only runs Customs as I know where things are, and am too afraid of all the other maps still. :(

I need to practice and figure out where stuff is on other maps, like Woods ( Even though I have 0 desire to, due to of course, quests ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Already answered, but this is why I sometimes hate playing a scav. I'd give up any amount of "good" gear to just have a splint, CMS kit with even 1 charge and a first aid item. 75% of my scav runs are ruined by losing a leg and just having to give up on the run. Just yesterday, I killed a player scav that was camping a window I jumped in (you know the one in Reserve) and lost a leg. Searched the entire area for a splint or painkillers and couldn't find one. That run was ruined. I even tried to just camp in there and wait for someone to come through to hopefully find the right items on their body and had no luck.

It's the main reason i'm beginning to give up on scav runs and just focus on my PMC. I am the biggest proponent of scav runs and the lack of medical care is ruining my love of the mode. You get no armor and no meds (most of the time) and a single shot can just ruin the run.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
For whatever reason my scav runs are FAR more successful than my PMC runs. Partly because I don’t know the spawns super well so I tend to get killed or maimed super early in the run and lose my nicer gear I’ve bought to try and survive more PMC runs. Playing as a scav gives you more breathing room from other players to rat around and loot in my opinion.

Also need to explore other maps and I’m thinking customs is just bad luck for me. As so as I get that drat watch I’m not coming back

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I've seen the SURV12 kit, but never had one. I'm still someone who mostly only runs Customs as I know where things are, and am too afraid of all the other maps still. :(

I need to practice and figure out where stuff is on other maps, like Woods ( Even though I have 0 desire to, due to of course, quests ).

Learn Interchange. It's pretty easy money if you rush tech store for the GPU, and you have less chance of being sniped long range randomly. Good for learning how to ambush as a Scav too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is there another medication that needs to be applied to like a leg/arm? Bandage/Splint then Car/Selawa Heal Kit usually?

You don't need to use the bandage if you're applying a car/salewa kit, they will all stop bleeding. Plus the car/salewa will actually add back HP. Free up that slot for more loot!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Learn Interchange. It's pretty easy money if you rush tech store for the GPU, and you have less chance of being sniped long range randomly. Good for learning how to ambush as a Scav too.

I've stepped away from this mentality. My mentality as a scav now is to go directly towards a fight and see what happens. I've gone the route of looting as much as I can and then you die, giving the loot to someone else. Why not be that someone else? Yes, i've had runs where I loot a ton of stuff and get out. But far more often, I get killed in an ambush or by a far outgeared PMC. So now I go after the quickest chance of loot or a fight, then see what happens. If its enough loot to be satisfied, I leave (or try to). If it ain't poo poo, then I keep going. Eventually you just have so much money in this game that a run needs to be worth half a mil to make sense strategically. If my scav run can't pay for a run with my PMC, then why don't I just run with my PMC? Yea, scav runs can be fun, but you are so out-geared that it usually ends in a loss. This isn't necessarily the case early-wipe, but we are basically late wipe now and even the new players are getting better gear because everyone has it. I've seen level 10's with spec'd out M4A1's because they can loot them off anyone else.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ShowTime posted:

I've stepped away from this mentality. My mentality as a scav now is to go directly towards a fight and see what happens. I've gone the route of looting as much as I can and then you die, giving the loot to someone else. Why not be that someone else? Yes, i've had runs where I loot a ton of stuff and get out. But far more often, I get killed in an ambush or by a far outgeared PMC. So now I go after the quickest chance of loot or a fight, then see what happens. If its enough loot to be satisfied, I leave (or try to). If it ain't poo poo, then I keep going. Eventually you just have so much money in this game that a run needs to be worth half a mil to make sense strategically. If my scav run can't pay for a run with my PMC, then why don't I just run with my PMC? Yea, scav runs can be fun, but you are so out-geared that it usually ends in a loss. This isn't necessarily the case early-wipe, but we are basically late wipe now and even the new players are getting better gear because everyone has it. I've seen level 10's with spec'd out M4A1's because they can loot them off anyone else.

For sure. I think being near fights is ironically the safest way to play. You have loud cues telling you were the fight is, no one is paying attention to you so post-fight ambushes are possible, and even if you don't get there in time to participate, you can vulture their kills while they are occupied. I think as a new player, playing risky scav runs is a great way to learn.

But, if you are trying to level vendors as a new player, it makes sense to build a little bank to buy questing loadouts for your PMC, so the early scav sprints can really pay-off.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShowTime posted:

yeah i just throw scavs into dorms or resort or something and see if i can clear up a sweaty guy and get out

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
If you're dirt poor just run with an MP-153 with "Express" buckshot. No attachments required**, just try and buy one off the Flea Market that has a buttstock (it gives you 45% more recoil control). Just shoot the feet/knees/cock and if you hit most/all of your pellets you're going to 2 shot people wearing the best gear. If you wanna spice it up and spend a little bit more (10,000 more) buy the 'monster claw' barrel attachment and the mount it goes on and use "Magnum" buckshot ammo for 40% more damage per left click (downside being it has double the recoil, so that's why we get the monster claw barrel attachment).

You can kill attentive and fully geared players with a little bit of game sense and/or surprise no problem, and the tickrate in this game means that if you peak and shoot you can get like 2 shots off before they can even react. It's far superior to a pistol for only double the price, and the ammo is dirt cheap as well.

**buy the 8-Round MP-133 Magazine if yours doesn't have one, it's 2,000 RUB

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

New players who are just starting: join the discord. Goons are happy to sherpa you around and show you key loot spots, dangerous areas of the map, etc. Last week we brought in a full kit for someone who was new for a run, we had all 5 of us wearing matching gear. Last night Ix and I guided two new goons through a handful of early quests, and we even had a nice clean interchange run where everyone got some real good loot.

You will learn a lot quicker playing with others, and the game is a lot less terrifying this way. Hell, when you get your leg blacked out, usually at least one of the goons with you has a surgical kit and can drop it for you to patch up before you give it back (or they let you keep it). Also when playing with buddies, they can sometimes kill the dude who killed you, and hide your gear in a bush so you get it back in insurance, or bring it out of raid for your next run.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I was extremely psyched to get a GPU from what i thought was someone speedhacking, but apparently this is normal, even on < 60 ping servers. Jesus christ, maybe i'll come back in a year.

https://streamable.com/n5lb7

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wallrod posted:

I was extremely psyched to get a GPU from what i thought was someone speedhacking, but apparently this is normal, even on < 60 ping servers. Jesus christ, maybe i'll come back in a year.

https://streamable.com/n5lb7

I have like 300ish PMC raids this wipe and have yet to see a speed hacker like that (boy he is very bad at the game). Frankly I've only even suspected that I've died to a hacker just once.

Also coming back in a year probably won't help much. I wouldn't expect BSG to suddenly, over the course of a year, make the game hack proof or something.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Goddamnit someone get in this Reserve match right now, I know the map is a coin toss wether it works or not and the loot is all gone but the queue times there (at least in the EU server) are loving atrocious. Only map that gives me over 5 minutes wait time.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Ice Fist posted:

I have like 300ish PMC raids this wipe and have yet to see a speed hacker like that (boy he is very bad at the game). Frankly I've only even suspected that I've died to a hacker just once.

Also coming back in a year probably won't help much. I wouldn't expect BSG to suddenly, over the course of a year, make the game hack proof or something.
Some likely dipshits on reddit (yeah, i know) are swearing up and down this is normal desync, they probably didn't know this is on helsinki servers from the UK. The weirdest part was that he was a scav, and had a loaded AK74 on his back but chose to do this with a 10rd 366 vepr.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wallrod posted:

Some likely dipshits on reddit (yeah, i know) are swearing up and down this is normal desync, they probably didn't know this is on helsinki servers from the UK. The weirdest part was that he was a scav, and had a loaded AK74 on his back but chose to do this with a 10rd 366 vepr.

Oh I see what you're saying now. I misread your post. My bad.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah, i didn't word it very clearly i guess. I doubt the devs are going to suddenly change their priorities, but stuff like that happening makes me feel like a dumbass for even caring about what happens in a game, maybe incremental improvements will happen to netcode/server stuff after the playercount firestorm has settled.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
The VSS is by far the best close to mid range weapon in the game, close to zero recoil, its budget ammo is VERY cost effective and it has the best high end ammo in the game. It's also really loving cheap and there is nothing wrong with 20 round mags if you don't want to splurge on the 30 round ones. Also it being silenced (and having subsonic ammo) is a nice benefit and the lack of muzzleflash is really nice for dark maps and areas.

Honestly I have a hard time using a gun that isn't the VSS/ASVAL or the MP-153 shotgun, they're just so goddamn cost effective.

Wallrod posted:

~desync~

why do idiots who play this game refer to lag as desync? I don't mean you, but any lag spike is immediately called desync.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I had a very similar experience during a scav run on reserve. A scav was teleporting around in front of me and I tried to run but suddenly died without hearing a shot fired.

Seems to be a lot of trouble to get my aksu and tbag.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah. I haven't seen it in tarkov communities, but people calling FPS drops 'lag' ('ugh this map always lags') is similar and it makes my brain itch every time

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

I had a very similar experience during a scav run on reserve. A scav was teleporting around in front of me and I tried to run but suddenly died without hearing a shot fired.

Seems to be a lot of trouble to get my aksu and tbag.

such is life in the zone

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

TheTofuShop posted:

New players who are just starting: join the discord. Goons are happy to sherpa you around and show you key loot spots, dangerous areas of the map, etc. Last week we brought in a full kit for someone who was new for a run, we had all 5 of us wearing matching gear. Last night Ix and I guided two new goons through a handful of early quests, and we even had a nice clean interchange run where everyone got some real good loot.

You will learn a lot quicker playing with others, and the game is a lot less terrifying this way. Hell, when you get your leg blacked out, usually at least one of the goons with you has a surgical kit and can drop it for you to patch up before you give it back (or they let you keep it). Also when playing with buddies, they can sometimes kill the dude who killed you, and hide your gear in a bush so you get it back in insurance, or bring it out of raid for your next run.

What’s the info for the discord btw?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pikey posted:

What’s the info for the discord btw?

Oh yeah, the OP doesnt have it anymore.

hakimashou posted:

If you want to play tarkov with goons there's a big discord full of those people at:

https://discord.gg/fxvqwE6

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

The VSS is by far the best close to mid range weapon in the game, close to zero recoil, its budget ammo is VERY cost effective and it has the best high end ammo in the game. It's also really loving cheap and there is nothing wrong with 20 round mags if you don't want to splurge on the 30 round ones. Also it being silenced (and having subsonic ammo) is a nice benefit and the lack of muzzleflash is really nice for dark maps and areas.

Honestly I have a hard time using a gun that isn't the VSS/ASVAL or the MP-153 shotgun, they're just so goddamn cost effective.

why do idiots who play this game refer to lag as desync? I don't mean you, but any lag spike is immediately called desync.

Cost effective is basically exactly how I would describe both of these guns. Great budget guns i'd look into as new players or players that don't want to take much into a raid. Just be mindful of the drop on the VSS. Subsonic rounds have a crazy drop off you have to get used to. They go slow, but people will not know where you are when you shoot them.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean yeah, you need to be aware of 9x39's drop (and travel time) if you're trying to take someone down at very long ranges but imo the best approach is simply trying not to do that if you can possibly avoid it, which generally isn't *too* hard

if you think shooting at someone at meaningful range is a real possibility I'd just go with one of the budget 7.62x51 options rather than, say, trying to run a VSS on Woods (a cheapo M1A with M80 isn't going to run you much more than a VSS)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Oh yeah, the OP doesnt have it anymore.

added

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

If you're dirt poor just run with an MP-153 with "Express" buckshot. No attachments required**, just try and buy one off the Flea Market that has a buttstock (it gives you 45% more recoil control). Just shoot the feet/knees/cock and if you hit most/all of your pellets you're going to 2 shot people wearing the best gear. If you wanna spice it up and spend a little bit more (10,000 more) buy the 'monster claw' barrel attachment and the mount it goes on and use "Magnum" buckshot ammo for 40% more damage per left click (downside being it has double the recoil, so that's why we get the monster claw barrel attachment).

You can kill attentive and fully geared players with a little bit of game sense and/or surprise no problem, and the tickrate in this game means that if you peak and shoot you can get like 2 shots off before they can even react. It's far superior to a pistol for only double the price, and the ammo is dirt cheap as well.

**buy the 8-Round MP-133 Magazine if yours doesn't have one, it's 2,000 RUB

it works even better if you lagswitch!

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
oh look it's the thing that made the last thread's OP close it, let's go for round 2

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

SilentW posted:

oh look it's the thing that made the last thread's OP close it, let's go for round 2

Don't forget hatchlings and how they are the best thing in this game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilentW posted:

lol if u think that would make me close the thread go hog wild

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the op isnt a joke and i probably wont make any effort to update it myself for at least a month but ill add any resources people mention

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
can you just copy and paste the last threads OP or maybe consider not rushing to make a new thread if you’re gonna do a lovely OP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its like 2 years old ill add some stuff when i have some time. and i didnt rush, no one else posted one for hours so i did.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Entire hours.

Will probably want to have the wiki for the game linked somewhere on there, it tends to be updated quickly after any changes, and is very useful for finding maps, extracts, and ammo comparisons, among other things.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the op should reflect the thread and it's poor form to question someone for :justpost:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Stux posted:

lol if u think that would make me close the thread go hog wild

finally,,, my true form has been unleashed.....

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I, for one, thank my friend stux.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
What do you guys do with your Euros? Everything on the flea market is stupidly overpriced, there's nothing good to use from the dealers, and anything you can buy isn't worth poo poo to resell or would sit for a month.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

ChesterJT posted:

What do you guys do with your Euros? Everything on the flea market is stupidly overpriced, there's nothing good to use from the dealers, and anything you can buy isn't worth poo poo to resell or would sit for a month.

glock

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Real answer: Items cases from therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stux posted:

also the op isnt a joke and i probably wont make any effort to update it myself for at least a month but ill add any resources people mention

I like this ammo chart: https://tarkov.ascheron.dev/