Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
They should probably install charcoal or some sort of post-anus filter for anyone carrying the disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

UnknownTarget posted:

Ironic take; given the relatively low lethality of this virus (compared to SARs) and the fact that a lot of people who get it don't even exhibit symptoms, the Trump administration's "ignore it and it won't be a problem" attitude might actually be correct.

Yeah, with a mortality rate of 1-3% it'll only kill between 3,000,000 and 6,000,000 Americans.

Trump's totally correct. You nailed it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's not going to infect 100% of Americans, even if it's uncontrolled. But a 10% to a 33% infection rate in a year is totally realistic for an uncontrolled infection. So it can kill somewhere between 300 thousand* to 2 million** Americans a year.

*Worse than anything besides heart disease and all cancers combined, but not as bad as all cancers combined.
**Worse than all top 10 causes of American death combined, but still not enough to trigger any Mad Max or Zombie Apocalypse fantasies.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

friendly 2 da void posted:

Yeah, with a mortality rate of 1-3% it'll only kill between 3,000,000 and 6,000,000 Americans.

It will not infect 100% of the people, so the number can be more like 200.000 in like 3 years

Anyway the objetive must be to stop this now, we don't want this to be a thing that kill old people every winter from now on.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Bardeh posted:

nobody knows what that book is about because it's impossible to read the whole thing before you die of old age

still "sounding out" words eh

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This is the man Trump put in charge of stopping Coronavirus.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

why hasn't anyone mentioned stephen king's "the stand" yet

i posted it a few pages back the full series is on youtube in HD

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1234913019273940993

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wasn’t that comedian guy from Seattle?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe corona virus was in US since 2019 and nobody noticed or cared to check

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

Wasn’t that comedian guy from Seattle?

Yes, but studies are showing that the spread happened well before he broke the quarantine, though he probably didn't help. They think it was probably in Seattle since early January

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The legendary, hilarious Leno writer Frank King passed through Seattle on his way to Oregon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bronze Fonz posted:

The legendary, hilarious Leno writer Frank King passed through Seattle on his way to Oregon.

"Hilarious" and "Leno" do not belong in the same sentence.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm just concerned that not enough people are going to die

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dr.acula posted:

:yossame:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

"Hilarious" and "Leno" do not belong in the same sentence.

Before the guy spread his spores everywhere I had no idea Leno had writers, I thought he only had a VFX team to rely on 100%.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tei posted:

a thing that kill old people every winter from now on.

The idea that this is seasonal is essentially wishful thinking based on nothing right now. This is a brand new disease and it's already spreading in places with reasonably warm weather. Southern China, for example, isn't exactly cold.

We certainly hope it will be seasonal.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Wizard Master posted:

I wish the zombie apocalypse would hurry up and happen, I want to start capping motherfuckers :blastu: :twisted:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe corona virus was in US since 2019 and nobody noticed or cared to check

Probably not, but
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/health/coronavirus-washington-spread.html

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

golden bubble posted:

**Worse than all top 10 causes of American death combined, but still not enough to trigger any Mad Max or Zombie Apocalypse fantasies.

I know this isn't what you're saying, but I am disturbed by the black and white thinking I keep seeing on this, where people are like "whelp, it's not gonna be like the walking dead, the government won't entirely collapse, so I don't need to prepare in any way." There's a whollllllle lotta real estate between "everything is totally normal" and "we all gonna die" that would drastically change how life looked in this country for an extended period of time.

For example, one thing that pops to mind is that many of the jobs that were added to the econonmy in the wake of 2008 are gig economy typse of jobs, which are generally jobs that involve interacting with a ton of people. Not only would I not want to be, say, and uber driver with a pandemic going on, I also don't want to be a passenger with random drivers I don't know. I would assume that segment of jobs would see a huge decline. Then the question become, what do those people do for money in an economy where people in urban areas basically don't want to leave their houses.

It does make me glad that I could in theory do my job remotely. If it comes down to it, I'm grabbing my laptop and heading for the mountains for awhile. I highly doubt it'll come to that, but I'm gonna be drat sure I'm prepared to if need be.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lambert posted:

Ignoring it more easily leads to a situation where health resources are strained too much, even when the virus isn't that lethal. A certain percentage will need intensive care.

The US doesn’t seem to fussed about people getting adequate healthcare for regular life threatening ailments, I’m not sure why they’d be suddenly concerned about people getting turned away just because it’s some fancy new disease

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

dr.acula posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

The US doesn’t seem to fussed about people getting adequate healthcare for regular life threatening ailments, I’m not sure why they’d be suddenly concerned about people getting turned away just because it’s some fancy new disease

same reason mass shootings with assault rifles perk people's ears up despite being 0.001% of gun deaths or whatever, when the biggest cause is gangsters with lovely .22s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Actually, the biggest cause is suicide.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

The US is fussed over it, but followers of the death cult known as the Republican Party are not.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hell yeah my neighbor to the north just reported their first case.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article240750876.html

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My sister is a nurse in Washington, I jokingly asked her if she's a virus zombie yet and her reply was "Haha not a zombie yet but there is a case at our hospital"

Combined with having a wife with a weakened immune system and I don't think I'll be sleeping soundly for quite a while.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

friendly 2 da void posted:

If there are a lot of people that get it with no symptoms, the 1-2% is high. Most sources agree its under 3% regardless.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
gently caress talking about The Stand when the original BBC Survivors exists

naem
May 29, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i swear to god if there is a penis in it I'm gonna flip out

I’ll take this as a yes and post my emergency overnight bag I made in the unfortunate event than an earthquake/fire destroy my apt without killing me.

This doesn’t apply to the current “hide in your apt” scenario but I spent money on it and am incredibly boring so to justify that purchase here it is:

it’s just a sturdy backpack

-I have several ways to access, store and purify water. That metal X shaped thing is a “sillcock” heh for accessing commercial water mains, which should still have some water pressure left even if the pipes all burst.
-also several variety of tarp that can be strung up with rope into a lovely tent, or to wrap yourself up in like a baked potato.
-several ways to start a fire (in case I feel like directly starting a disaster myself)
-a pocket new testament to ward off vampires
-food
-clothes
-a metal cup to boil water in
-several other items, i’m bored of typing
-the pocketknife, lighters and crowbar are the only NSFW items and can be ditched when boarding a plane to safety or if they just suck to carry

this has been thing with forums user naem please hit that like and subscribe button

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress talking about The Stand when the original BBC Survivors exists

I've not seen this yet.

Also The Stand is garbage. Hand of god, my rear end. What a loving cop out.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Our office is talking about making us all work from home indefinitely. I hope callers like hearing sirens and cats and my rowdy neighbors.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

A friend's company has banned all corporate international travel and asked that if you travel personally you self quarantine for two weeks after returning.

My company has asked that we all wash our hands and pay attention to CDC advisories.

My company is clown shoes, generally, though. So not unexpected.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't see any food in that picture

top ramen and instant mashed potatoes don't count

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rat posted:

Our office is talking about making us all work from home indefinitely. I hope callers like hearing sirens and cats and my rowdy neighbors.

I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about working from home

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's true Maruchan or GTFO

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My company has a travel ban in place, but leadership can approve travel if it's deemed necessary to business. So, my boss's boss is here this week from Germany just to check in on us. I am so loving livid over this self-important piece of poo poo.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
heres my zombie food store cabinet

those 5 bottles of bitters are going to save my rear end

naem
May 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I don't see any food in that picture

top ramen and instant mashed potatoes don't count

I thought I had some of that Mountain House Human Grade Dog Food in Pouches but must have eaten it all, now it’s out of stock everywhere and I’ll have to bring a garbage bag of canned food as I climb out the window wearing nothing but my beige Crocs®️™️®️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

I thought I had some of that Mountain House Human Grade Dog Food in Pouches but must have eaten it all, now it’s out of stock everywhere and I’ll have to bring a garbage bag of canned food as I climb out the window wearing nothing but my beige Crocs®️™️®️

is it? I'm gonna be annoyed if I have to dehydrate my own meals for camping this year because jerks bought them to store in a basement.