Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

It's a shame that scion never got the love it deserved, but when you market more expensive versions of the most econobox economy cars to broke people...

Every time I see an xB for sale it's ruined. I wish the small box cars had caught on with more manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
scion was the best because they were trying to attract Younger Buyers and after like a year the buyer demos were Buick-esque, like worse than Toyota

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Coredump posted:

The sad part is if you go back to that era I used to cheerlead the solstice twins so hard. Now I see the error of my ways. If I ever got a chance at a Solstice GXP coupe I would be severely tempted to go for it still. See how well a LFX v6 would fit in there.

A legit option, but I know an LS V8 also fits, I think Hot Rod magazine did an LS7 (or documented someone else doing it) when they came out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Mallett was doing LS2/LS7 swaps back when the Solstice was still new. They even offered a 900hp turbocharged LS7 package.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rhyno posted:

Every time I see an xB for sale it's ruined. I wish the small box cars had caught on with more manufacturers.

You shut your whore mouth. I hope all those things (Soul, element, cube, XB,XD, Xwhatever the gently caress) plus the Nissan Juke would spontaneously combust, and burn to the ground.

E: Sorry, those things make me irrationally angry.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wesleywillis posted:

You shut your whore mouth. I hope all those things (Soul, element, cube, XB,XD, Xwhatever the gently caress) plus the Nissan Juke would spontaneously combust, and burn to the ground.

E: Sorry, those things make me irrationally angry.

lmao we have Crease: The Car on absolutely everything new these days, Lambos look like Hyundais look like Buicks look like Hondas, with BMW and Lexus chasing the maw and you want to complain about an inexpensive block that will outlive anything made in the last 10 years.

Bring back blocks so we can put things in the back of cars without extreme rake killing cargo capacity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

scion was the best because they were trying to attract Younger Buyers and after like a year the buyer demos were Buick-esque, like worse than Toyota

Yep, my first xB I bought from a retried guy and I see them pop up now and then with super low miles (elderly drivers :v:).

KakerMix posted:

lmao we have Crease: The Car on absolutely everything new these days, Lambos look like Hyundais look like Buicks look like Hondas, with BMW and Lexus chasing the maw and you want to complain about an inexpensive block that will outlive anything made in the last 10 years.

Bring back blocks so we can put things in the back of cars without extreme rake killing cargo capacity.

Yeah this is one of the things I love about my xB....It's like the last good real hatchback. I can actually fit my bike and my son's bike in it with no issues, try fitting two bikes in any other econobox hatch. The Corolla hatch is a joke in comparison.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed. It's mostly that we have no proper wagons anymore and just super steeply raked hatchbacks. Bleh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Same with the element. It was an obstacle in SSX because they thought the mountain dew demo would love it, and instead it ended up selling to grandma and grandpa. I had one from when I was 30 till I was 41 and loved the dumb thing. Only gave it up because a 4 seater is impractical with a family of 5.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it wasn't really a pointless brand at the beginning, the whole point was to be anti-gm

sell small, fuel efficient cars that competed directly with honda and toyota
decent dealer experience with no haggle sales model and some other interesting technological and operational innovations

if you had built the first and tried to sell them through the traditional GM dealer it would have failed. it ended up failing eventually anyway, but at the beginning it was pretty cool and good and innovative.

For GM it really was innovative and quite innovative for the entire industry. They make it 90% of the way and piss away the last 10% to make something a success.

I have to imagine the bright minds there feel like Sisyphus. As in, we almost had it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Agreed. It's mostly that we have no proper wagons anymore and just super steeply raked hatchbacks. Bleh.

"Proper wagons" are still garbage compared to SUVs and minivans when it comes to carrying items. Because cubic footage is just a number, what matters is the opening and the width/height of the cargo space. Most of the world had realized that decades ago and stopped buying station wagons. But you do you.

Mazda 3 hatch, the darling of AI, is the worst offender. The rear opening is basically an oval for some idiotic reason.

The reason everybody loves the Scion and Soul, is because the rear opening is tall, wide, and square. So it's actually practical, and much better than current crop of tiny SUVs like CX3.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Mazda 3 hatch, the darling of AI, is the worst offender. The rear opening is basically an oval

The Volvo C30 would like a word with you

(I love my car, and I can put my bike in the back so it's a big enough hole for me, but yeah)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

They make it 90% of the way and piss away the last 10% to make something a success.

this is basically the story of GM in a nutshell

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nitrox posted:

"Proper wagons" are still garbage compared to SUVs and minivans when it comes to carrying items. Because cubic footage is just a number, what matters is the opening and the width/height of the cargo space. Most of the world had realized that decades ago and stopped buying station wagons. But you do you.

Except they moved to minivans and compact hatches, so...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nitrox posted:

Mazda 3 hatch, the darling of AI, is the worst offender. The rear opening is basically an oval for some idiotic reason.

The reason everybody loves the Scion and Soul, is because the rear opening is tall, wide, and square. So it's actually practical, and much better than current crop of tiny SUVs like CX3.

Mini Clubman: best modern wagon :colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrox posted:

That's more of a Mazda thing than a wagon v SUV thing - the entire Mazda range including the CX-5/8/9 is form before function. Actually the 6 wagon might be the most practically shaped vehicle they make.

Anyway if you want practical and small then the Honda Fit is the way to go, amazing amount of space without looking like a cardboard box.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Godholio posted:

Except they moved to minivans and compact hatches, so...
That's a funny way to spell Ford Explorer

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The best wagon was never sold in the US

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nitrox posted:

That's a funny way to spell Ford Explorer

:lol: no. Explorer sales are half of what they were 20 years ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

even though the nameplate is down SUV/CUV segment is way up

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Godholio posted:

That's because they made them primarily FWD the last generation (No, I'm kidding. Buyers don't really care.)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Plinkey posted:

The best wagon was never sold in the US

That doesn't look like a Commodore V8 wagon :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

even though the nameplate is down SUV/CUV segment is way up

We're talking about when station wagons died off, not the years since the recession.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Godholio posted:

20 years ago is when they stopped making station wagons in favor of SUVs. Look at wagon sales vs SUV sales then and now. In fact look at SUVs vs everything. Nobody wants dipshit car trunk conversions. Except handful of nerds on internet who don't buy that poo poo new anyway.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Nitrox posted:

20 years ago is when they stopped making station wagons in favor of SUVs. Look at wagon sales vs SUV sales then and now. In fact look at SUVs vs everything. Nobody wants dipshit car trunk conversions. Except handful of nerds on internet who don't buy that poo poo new anyway.

Some of the last traditionally styled wagons are the “commercial vans” sold in Japan for work purposes. They are traditionally styled wagons that would likely bomb pretty hard if non-commercial versions were available.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Station wagons were dying off (at least around here) long before that.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

taqueso posted:

That is the least inspired subwoofer install ever

That was my first thought when I saw that pic, it's really pretty bad the closer you look

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Station wagons were dying off (at least around here) long before that.

peak wagon was what, sometime in the 1970s?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

peak wagon was what, sometime in the 1970s?

Wagons were the go-to family vehicle. Then the kids who'd grown up riding in wagons grew up and had kids of their own, but didn't want what their parents hauled them around in. So minivans became the in thing. Then the kids who got hauled around in minivans grew up and didn't want what their parents hauled them around in. So SUV/CUVs became the in thing. I can't wait to see what's going to come next.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I believe it will be some sort of hovercraft.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nope, wagons.

The pendulum swings in every area of life. What is old is cool again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nope, wagons.

The pendulum swings in every area of life. What is old is cool again.

Hopefully.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Found a couple of gems :)

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/land-lakes-1997-bmw-dakar-m3/7088624658.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/tampa-2006-ariel-atom-original-miles/7088615696.html

And some gold......

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/pinellas-park-1992-acura-integra-ls/7088331484.html

I'd be really tempted to buy it if it wasn't for the automatic seatbelts

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 7, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

What are "Diagonal brakes"? Is that the circuits are left front, right rear, and right front left rear type deal?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gone already :haw:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd be really tempted to buy it if it wasn't for the automatic seatbelts

Christ, it amazes me how many of these infested cars. Hell they were in Ferraris.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, it amazes me how many of these infested cars. Hell they were in Ferraris.

it was essentially a legal requirement in the US for a brief shining moment in time - the feds required passive restraint systems (eg airbag) but for older platforms OEMs were allowed to install automatic seatbelts instead because retrofit was too expensive / time consuming. once airbags become more common they go away.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Worst stopgap measure.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

What are "Diagonal brakes"? Is that the circuits are left front, right rear, and right front left rear type deal?

I think they're referring to slotted brake rotors.

Elviscat posted:

The Worst stopgap measure.

I had a '93 Festiva with these. gently caress them to hell from whence they came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's an excuse to put in a harness.