Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kiimo posted:

did that coach get fired?

Imagine how furious you would be if one of your coaches did that and lost you a player.

Fired or resigned, but he is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Love 2 post about racism online.

Jan 3rd, before the game at Ohio State, Badger strength coach Eric Helland dropped the n-word when quoting a player while telling a story from the time he worked with when he was with the Bulls. I'm unclear if he realizes it right after, or if players pointed it out to him, but he apologizes and asks assistant coach Alando Tucker how to handle it. Tucker, former Badger legend who took the position after Howard Moore's car accident, was the UW athletic department's director of athlete engagement, so somewhat uniquely qualified on what to do. Whatever the outcome was, it doesn't leave the locker room, and in fact the story never makes it to Greg Gard at that time. It's dropped until Kobe King's exit interview where he says 'Hey, this isn't about what coach Helland said.' Record scratch, it gets brought back up, and Helland is told very strongly that he should resign.

There was some unusually shoddy reporting initially that more directly tied racist coach --> player leaving.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Are you suggesting that the coach shouldn't have been fired?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Yeah, that's where I landed on it. Something like administrative leave and mandatory diversity training would have been more appropriate. But, Madison as a city loves paying lip service to the idea of inclusiveness and diversity and not doing anything. This just lets administrators feel like they're helping solve a problem because it's so black-and-white.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a shame that a white person in 2020 managed to not know whether or not they could say the n-word when quoting someone else

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The "how come Jay-Z gets to say it?" defense

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Sure he should have been fired for it but I think a lot of the shade being throw on King in this situation was that King wasn't even there for the incident. The coach told the story to a couple other players in a meeting with them without King being there. He wasn't told about the incident until days later when Tucker and the coach brought it up to apologize. No doubt it contributed to King leaving in some manner but it's being painted as the main and only reason, that some coach wandered into a room and called King that when reality is a little different.

I really just think King thought Wisconsin was going to morph into Marquette with King playing the role of Markus Howard, taking every shot and scoring all their points. That wasn't going to happen so he went looking for a place that would maybe accommodate that. Good for him, he should be able to go and play wherever he wants.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Was panicking because Garza looked awful in the first half after struggling in the second against MSU and then he wound up with 25 and 17 lol. 14 straight 20+ point games. The only Big Ten game where he didn't crack 20 was Nebraska, somehow.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FIRE MIKE WHITE

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

hey

gently caress baylor

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

#6 Florida St already lost too. maybe the hoos can beat #7 Duke? probably not

edit: some Duke loving happened

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2020

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Before today, Tech needed 1 win to be a lock for the tournament.

After today, Tech still needs 1 win to be a lock for the tournament...

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Holy hell it’s almost conference tournament season already.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern's women's team won the big ten

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress DUKE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Evansville did indeed lose today. First team to beat #1 in the country and then lose their entire conference schedule

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
9 ranked teams lose, 6 of those to unranked teams and 3 of those at home. Most importantly one of those was Duke. gently caress Duke.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Malachi Flynn dropped 36 on the road vs Nevada.

Wowee

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Ahem
I loving love college basketball, even when Purdue is dogshit garbage

Also - gently caress Duke

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Peanut President posted:

Evansville did indeed lose today. First team to beat #1 in the country and then lose their entire conference schedule

I hope they win their conference tournament. That would be the most 2007 poo poo to happen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Peanut President posted:

loving lmao

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It’s not the Big Ten pileup, but the ACC could have a 4-way tie if Virginia beats Louisville, Florida State loses once more, and otherwise those 3 plus Duke win out.

Would settle for the 3-way tie minus Duke, obviously.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

elentar posted:

It’s not the Big Ten pileup

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1234227624085524481?s=19

Yep, that's an entirely reasonable batch of game results. Has anyone ever heard of a 6-team share of a championship banner? I remember Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State all splitting one year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1234227624085524481?s=19

Yep, that's an entirely reasonable batch of game results. Has anyone ever heard of a 6-team share of a championship banner? I remember Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State all splitting one year.

only penn state and rutgers would be upsets, and not huge ones either

that’d be loving bananas

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

kayakyakr posted:

I hope they win their conference tournament. That would be the most 2007 poo poo to happen.

considering they haven't yet done that this century I'm not too expectant

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

big news: the northwestern wild cat has won a basketball game

it's their second big ten win this season

both of their wins are over fred "fred" hoiberg

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hoiberg still can’t win in Chicago.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/TheShowSDSU/status/1234651274357817345

why is dan dakich so mad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

People from Indiana gets incredibly angry when you point out what a huge piece of poo poo Alford is. There used to be a Purdue fan here who was always throwing a fit about how unfair Iowa fans were to poor Steve.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2020

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

People from Indiana gets incredibly angry when you point out what a huge piece of poo poo Alford is. There used to be a Purdue fan here who was always throwing a fit about unfair Iowa fans were to poor Steve. because they live in Indiana.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you want to watch a show get on a national basketball board and say that Indiana isn't a blue blood and prepare for fireworks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

If you want to watch a show get on a national basketball board and say that Indiana isn't a blue blood and prepare for fireworks

i mean they aren’t, they haven’t made a final four in almost 20 years and their last championship was in the 80s and they’ve only won their (pretty soft, relatively speaking) conference twice in the past decade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

(pretty soft, relatively speaking) conference

lol what

is this post from 2004

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 3, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

lol what

is this post from 2004

in the past decade? it’s been really competitive this year but overall i’d put them in the middle of the p5 pack solidly below the big 12 and the acc and ahead of the sec and pac 12

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

in the past decade? it’s been really competitive this year but overall i’d put them in the middle of the p5 pack solidly below the big 12 and the acc and ahead of the sec and pac 12

I mean, you could make arguments in a different way.. Like championship game appearances:

7 ACC
4 Big East
3 Big 10
2 - others

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The Atlantic Sun, Big South, Horizon, and Patriot tournaments all get going tonight with early-round campus-site games. The only thing you should all be rooting for is Liberty to lose.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I was thinking of doing a multi bracket challenge for all the conference tournaments like I did a decade or so ago, once, but it looks like it's too late

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Maryland just found out that the RAC is no joke. I hope this makes Rutgers a tourney team now!

TRAPEZOID OF TERROR

stump collector
May 28, 2007

elentar posted:

The Atlantic Sun, Big South, Horizon, and Patriot tournaments all get going tonight with early-round campus-site games. The only thing you should all be rooting for is Liberty to lose.

Is Liberty the school of the late Jerry Falwell? I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

stump collector posted:

Is Liberty the school of the late Jerry Falwell? I'm in

Also of the present Jerry Falwell, who is somehow an even bigger piece of poo poo!