Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DC Murderverse posted:

i thought i wasn't gonna buy anything this sale because there are so many things I'm waiting to buy that come out between now and the summer sale, but i am weak and will buy a few. I've decided I want to start actively looking for female directors because the only Criterion I've bought to this point by a female director is Virgin Suicides, so I added a bunch to my wishlist. I think this time I'm getting Harlan County USA and Jeanne Dielman because those were the ones that struck me the most. I'm also getting Paris is Burning, which has a female director but that was more happenstance than anything else.

Some off the top of my head, not that you're asking

- Andrea Arnold, Fish Tank

(she also did the astoundingly good American Honey, not on criterion, yet)

- Celine Sciama, Portrait of a Lady on Fire (soon)

- Claire Denis, White Material

- Kelly Reichardt, Old Joy

- Agnes Varda, various titles

- Agnieszka Smoczyńska, The Lure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is good, thank you! I have a few of these on my list already but I don't think the Denis or Reichardt ones are on there (and Portrait will be on my to-buy list as soon as it's on the website)

edit: i got a reward certificate from my purchase so i went back and bought the Police Story pack as well as Gate of Hell and The Ballad of Narayama for a grand total of $5 shipped! The latter two were just $30 normally so after the sale they were just $15 for the Bluray, are there any other movies at that price point? It seemed weird and almost like they were not gonna be as good but they've both won a bunch of awards and Ballad was the last movie Roger Ebert put into his Great Movies series so I don't think that's why. I wonder if they were just cheaper to restore/get the rights to or something.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 26, 2020

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Australia is getting a blu ray release of Roma with the Criterion label on it, which is the first local release. A shame that its still in a crappy regular case and has our ratings logo ruining the cover, though: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/roma-2018-blu-ray

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cacator posted:

Is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World worthy of it's reputation or overstuffed and overlong?

Also, if I can only pick one: Vampyr or Haxan?

If you love classic comedy and have a tolerance for long movies, it's worth seeing, plus the general release cut is from a 4K restoration from the 65mm camera negative, so it at least looks and sounds amazing. I do think the roadshow cut is a fun curiosity, but there's a reason why comedies tend to be shorter films...

Vampyr, but both are excellent.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

If you love classic comedy and have a tolerance for long movies, it's worth seeing, plus the general release cut is from a 4K restoration from the 65mm camera negative, so it at least looks and sounds amazing. I do think the roadshow cut is a fun curiosity, but there's a reason why comedies tend to be shorter films...

For me, I really enjoyed it, but the end really drags significantly. It just kind of runs out of steam in the last fifteen minutes.

But for 3.5 hour comedy, that's impressive!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Also, to add:

Girlfriends by Claudia Weill and Smithereens by Susan Seidelman.

I have yet to see Girlfriends, though, because I can't find a physical copy and it's not on the Criterion Channel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

For me, I really enjoyed it, but the end really drags significantly. It just kind of runs out of steam in the last fifteen minutes.

But for 3.5 hour comedy, that's impressive!

I've wanted to try editing it down to around 90 minutes plus credits without losing any cameos just to see how it plays.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

i thought i wasn't gonna buy anything this sale because there are so many things I'm waiting to buy that come out between now and the summer sale, but i am weak and will buy a few. I've decided I want to start actively looking for female directors because the only Criterion I've bought to this point by a female director is Virgin Suicides, so I added a bunch to my wishlist. I think this time I'm getting Harlan County USA and Jeanne Dielman because those were the ones that struck me the most. I'm also getting Paris is Burning, which has a female director but that was more happenstance than anything else.

All three of those are loving great so good call

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Who owns the rights to Peeping Tom? Where is my HD Peeping Tom?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Who owns the rights to Peeping Tom? Where is my HD Peeping Tom?

StudioCanal. Kino Lorber already confirmed they don't have it, so we'll most likely see it from Criterion. It could also come from Shout! Factory and Film Movement, who are the only other labels with StudioCanal deals besides Criterion and Kino Lorber.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Picked up F for Fake, Local Hero, and finally upgraded my old Hedwig and the Angry Inch DVD to Blu Ray. The Hedwig DVD release was really solid already. looking forward to checking out the new material, It's been one of my absolute favorites for a good long while now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like more stuff has been confirmed on Reddit, Blu-ray.com, and a Wexner Center Q&A: Spike Lee's 4 Little Girls and She's Gotta Have It, Powell & Pressburger's I Know Where I'm Going! (and possibly others), and Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Revue.

Sounds like pretty much all the "auteur" films on Netflix will come to Criterion eventually.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My order from the sale came very quick, I didn't expect it before the weekend, but it was there when I got home friday. I'm excited to tell myself "this is the weekend I finally get around to watching 'Eyes Without a Face,' this time for sure" for the next three months.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I reckon it's one of the more timeless works of its era.

Couldn't agree more.

It was clearly a very personal piece that I think did a great job of making you feel like you were the writer/director growing up alongside his 'mother' and observing the beauty and strength of a life of a 'little' person who is so often forgotten and ignored.

Pushed to-and-fro by the supposedly now appoline society contrasted against what use to be the faun-like nature based Dionysian mass which stood out as the appolo-like heroic individual in this film not by what they say or even how they directly act but what is not said but clearly thought and felt.

Shame some reviewers couldn't see that and I'm talking about the new yorker review in particular. The contrast of the mess of city life against the quiet strength and humility of his 'mother' and the song by the norwegian(?) krampus (or pan) should have made it obvious. Add on the absent fathers and emotional and erratic dependent mothers portrayed and it's practically screaming it at you.

Is it a tragedy? Or do those people end up living better lives? Genuine lives? I'm looking forward to re-watching it soon.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the sale items came in real quick.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
HOOOOOUSE

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm not gonna lie, at first glance I misread this and thought the Criterion Collection was finally giving Dragon Ball the presentation it deserves.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if criterion were to move to anime restoration projects and started with dragon ball, i would weep.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Criterion really oughtta rerelase Akira, and maybe give Ghost in the Shell a shot, too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Angel's Egg should be first

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Angel's Egg should be first

Yes please. I still have my video cd version of this from china, my high school friend bought me years ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So what's the deal with Benjamin Button? Why is it so cheap? Why is it in a normal bluray case? Why does every Half Price Books have a single copy of it that is never sold?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie had a weird condition where it came out pretty expensive but actually got cheaper over time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

So what's the deal with Benjamin Button? Why is it so cheap? Why is it in a normal bluray case? Why does every Half Price Books have a single copy of it that is never sold?

It was part of some weird deal which I think was the only way Criterion could get a hold of the rights to a certain Paramount movie. As far as I can tell, no one at Criterion especially liked the movie, and so they just did the bare minimum and because it was going to be printed in much more massive numbers than a standard Criterion likely does, they went with the cheaper, less fancy casing.

There’s always an unsold copy in a Half Price Books because nobody else really likes the movie, either.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I got it without the case in a cardboard sleeve at 7-11

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got it for $4 at a used game store.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Benjamin Button was a special deal with Paramount where Criterion produced the disc while Paramount distributed it, which is why it's in a regular case.

Criterion worked out a similar thing with Disney for Armageddon, The Rock, Chasing Amy, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic on DVD. The Blu-rays of the Wes Anderson films were licensed normally, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Guess I should rewatch Seventh Seal today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you have The Criterion Channel, they just put up a 15-film collection of films with Von Sydow:

Wild Strawberries (bit part, though)
The Seventh Seal (obviously)
The Magician
Brink of Life
The Virgin Spring
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
Interlude in the Marshland
Here Is Your Life
Hour of the Wolf
Shame
Passion of Anna
The Touch (warning, this is easily Bergman's absolute worst film)
Europa
Until the End of the World (note that this is a 5 1/2 hour film and Sydow doesn't turn up until quite a bit into it)

Except for The Touch, all the Bergmans are essential.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Shame tonight, it’s an excellent film but man what a loving bummer.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

gey muckle mowser posted:

it’s an excellent film but man what a loving bummer.

That's like every Bergman film ever.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If you order bamboozled from Spike Lee's site, he'll sign it.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Cloks posted:

If you order bamboozled from Spike Lee's site, he'll sign it.

Did you have to pay extra, or was that included with the $40 cost?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pappyland posted:

Did you have to pay extra, or was that included with the $40 cost?

It was included. I couldn't find anything about it on the website so I was pretty leery, I think he posted about it on his Instagram?

E: Also, in case it's not clear, he signed the insert, not the case.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is bamboozled?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

VoodooXT posted:

That's like every Bergman film ever.

Yeah maybe, but Shame just made me feel bad in a way that other films of his haven't. Very few moments of levity and a bleak ending.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If you're into genre-bending AND gender-bending at the same time, Diamantino is the way to go.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The Touch (warning, this is easily Bergman's absolute worst film)

All These Women would like a word with you. And then High Tension. The Touch is a solid third, though. It's pretty lousy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Empress Brosephine posted:

How is bamboozled?

I loved it when it came out and only think its gotten stronger with age, but it's a very divisive film. 51$ for a signed criterion tho... im gunna sit on it for a day before i make any decisions.

dorium fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

All These Women would like a word with you. And then High Tension. The Touch is a solid third, though. It's pretty lousy.

I actually thought All These Women was more weird than bad. The Touch was painful to watch. Isn’t High Tension one Bergman hated the most out of his films?