Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the problem is the way she's used in the show; In the books she's mainly just a looooong-dead historic figure (like, say, Karl Marx or Che Guevera) who gets quoted a bunch by people wanting to sound smart and cool. It's also very much a pseudonym because she despises idolatry, and wanted the Unsettlement to be about the people, not her (because that's how you just wind up with a fresh flavour of dynastic ruler instead of real long-term change :v:). The nigh-messianic treatment of her in the show is basically everything her movement stood against.

Part of me wants to make a thread so we can all bitch about how terrible season 2 was, but making a proper OP feels like more effort than the show deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the problem is the way she's used in the show; In the books she's mainly just a looooong-dead historic figure (like, say, Karl Marx or Che Guevera) who gets quoted a bunch by people wanting to sound smart and cool. It's also very much a pseudonym because she despises idolatry, and wanted the Unsettlement to be about the people, not her (because that's how you just wind up with a fresh flavour of dynastic ruler instead of real long-term change :v:). The nigh-messianic treatment of her in the show is basically everything her movement stood against.

I'm also really really hating the whole plot of this season where they've engineered it so that Quellcrist is now back alive, but has amnesia about who she is I find this really annoying. We as the audience already know where this is going. Get on with it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Part of me wants to make a thread so we can all bitch about how terrible season 2 was, but making a proper OP feels like more effort than the show deserves.

That's where I'm at too.

Just make it so we can bitch without polluting this thread lol :justpost:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm also really really hating the whole plot of this season where they've engineered it so that Quellcrist is now back alive, but has amnesia about who she is I find this really annoying. We as the audience already know where this is going. Get on with it.

That's where I'm at too.

Just make it so we can bitch without polluting this thread lol :justpost:

Made a thread, the original post is a bit thin but it’s kind of what the show deserves. It’s been a weekend and no one who likes the show made one, so, welp.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915924&perpage=40

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Syfy has canceled The Magicians.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not surprised. In previous years the cast would be talking about the next season right away and there hasn't been a peep from any of them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not unexpected, but still BOO!

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Syfy has canceled The Magicians.

Yeah gently caress that.
I know they've already had a view "finale" points they can end with, but I hope they actually get to wrap this season up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Over in the series thread I've been guessing this was it for a while. It sucks but it seemed like several of the cast were aware of it and had moved on.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am sorry for anyone losing a show they love, but I hope we get a proper tv adaptation of the books sometime. The show did a half-hearted attempt at following the first book in season 1, but it's pretty hard to do a show about magic when you only have a shoestring budget.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sumo posted:

Yeah gently caress that.
I know they've already had a view "finale" points they can end with, but I hope they actually get to wrap this season up.

Apparently they knew it was coming and wrote the ending as the series finale, but kept it open enough that if they got picked up by another network they'd be able to continue. But they didn't find a good fit so it's done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oasx posted:

I am sorry for anyone losing a show they love, but I hope we get a proper tv adaptation of the books sometime. The show did a half-hearted attempt at following the first book in season 1, but it's pretty hard to do a show about magic when you only have a shoestring budget.

The show is 1000000x better than the books.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Magicians is fun but definitely kind of feels like it had kind of lost its footing about what the point was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Magicians is fun but definitely kind of feels like it had kind of lost its footing about what the point was.

The point is loving, drinking, drugs, loving, swearing, making GBS threads on Todd, drinking loving, additional making GBS threads on Todd, more loving and drinking until you go blind.

The books synopsis sound like 100% bullshit and there's no way in hell they'd do another adaptation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

The point is loving, drinking, drugs, loving, swearing, making GBS threads on Todd, drinking loving, additional making GBS threads on Todd, more loving and drinking until you go blind.
Except that like the characters have pretty much entirely gotten past that "loving and drinking until you go blind" phase and all developed maturity and responsibility and some sense of fulfillment and happiness outside of that stuff and now they're like 3 years out of college having quarter life crises about whether to let their jobs become their careers and become adults.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Except that like the characters have pretty much entirely gotten past that "loving and drinking until you go blind" phase and all developed maturity and responsibility and some sense of fulfillment and happiness outside of that stuff and now they're like 3 years out of college having quarter life crises about whether to let their jobs become their careers and become adults.

There is still plenty of loving and drinking my dude, did you not watch the time loop episode?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

There is still plenty of loving and drinking my dude, did you not watch the time loop episode?

I mean, the point of that was literally that Elliot was avoiding his poo poo and going back to his old bad habits because he didn't think there were consequences and Margo got sick of it pretty quickly and went off to be responsible and then Elliots friends convinced him to get his poo poo together and snap out of it.

That's basically been the path of the show. Kids who were lost and drowning in partying growing up. And for the most part they kind of have, or at least are on the path to it and just kind of resisting it a little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Josh literally spends all his free time baking edibles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is it that you want me to change my mind and say the show hasn't developed characters or grown in a satisfying way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Is it that you want me to change my mind and say the show hasn't developed characters or grown in a satisfying way?

No but there underlying point of the show is bangin'

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the show has become more about lore revelations and magical paperchases recently, but I'll be sad to see it go. It's still a mostly good show, with excellent stand out episodes.

Rhyno posted:

I read this to the credits theme from The L Word.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

C-Euro posted:

Was kind of so-so on The New Pope in comparison to The Young Pope but it's done quite a bit to draw me back in over these past couple of episodes.

The last 2 episodes have been downright remarkable. Waiting 7 hours to bring back Lenny Belardo was.... not the best idea.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I only saw a season and a half but yeah this.

I was just thinking I should try to get back to it last night after seeing it on Netflix or something. Also wondering how they kept it going so long off those books, but it sounds like they made the wise decision to go their own way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

IRQ posted:

I only saw a season and a half but yeah this.

I was just thinking I should try to get back to it last night after seeing it on Netflix or something. Also wondering how they kept it going so long off those books, but it sounds like they made the wise decision to go their own way.

It's loving great man. Watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched I Am Not Okay With This and it was mostly only alright but honestly might have become great just because of the final few minutes

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched I Am Not Okay With This and it was mostly only alright but honestly might have become great just because of the final few minutes

yeah it felt like half of a season sort of... I hope there's more coming soon, I liked all the characters

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Magicians was running out of ideas and i'm glad it's going while it's still decent

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't tell if it's a sign that it was running out of ideas that a plot point this season was talking to the whales through a random TV on a beach to convince them to stop drawing runes on the ocean floor so the kraken is released which allowed them to save the Earth from an exploding moon or if it meant that they have ALL the plot ideas.

Either way it was excellent as was the reason why Margot was kicked out of the loop because her solution was just to murder all the whales.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Magicians still has a LOT of crazy rear end ideas. They just don't seem to have a ton of rhyme or reason to them.

Which like, Magicians was always kind of a barely contained mess but this season has the feel of a show that had a 3 year plan and are in Year 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They also manage to do emotional well. The episodes this year with golem kid Q and the hole to the underworld were really well done and makes you feel their loss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, their strength has been character pain and growth. Its what elevates the show above entertaining trash into like an actually affecting good show.

I just think they're in a weird place this season where they don't know where to go with the characters, which is why half the cast are taking odd jobs and disappearing for episodes at a time while other ones work through emotional stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Dispatches from Elsewhere and this is a pretty strong opening.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just watched first episode of EPIX's War Of The Worlds. Last time my butt clenched that tight was the first ep of Chernobyl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dispatches from Elsewhere thread. I really liked the first two episodes, the show is super weird but very cool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Magicians feels like it would be at home on Netflix.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GreenNight posted:

I disagree. The books are very flawed but they have several good ideas.
Unlike Harry Potter where everyone can learn to do crazy dangerous spells, here only the very best of the best even have a chance of trying to learn magic.
The show took the worst parts of the books and made a season out of them, while skipping everything interesting because that would require a budget.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah it felt like half of a season sort of... I hope there's more coming soon, I liked all the characters

Yeah, that can’t be how the original graphic novel ends, right?

Kidding has been great this season but the ratings are so bad. I’m not sure even Showtime will Renee this one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Just watched first episode of EPIX's War Of The Worlds. Last time my butt clenched that tight was the first ep of Chernobyl.

I'm in Europe so I have no idea what EPIX is, but this is not the same War of the Worlds that BBC produced recently?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm in Europe so I have no idea what EPIX is, but this is not the same War of the Worlds that BBC produced recently?

Apparently not, which is what I was thinking of...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I put on a random episode of The Office before bed last night and for some reason I never put together before that the Ben Franklin impersonator was played by Andy Daly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

We went over this last week, there are two shows that are just called War of the Worlds right now. The BBC one and one from France which is airing on Epix in America.