Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Am I the only one who finds Tim Rogers loving insufferable as well, that could just be a me thing. I watched his review of DMC5 and hated it so much that it colored my opinion of him ever after, I didn't even like him in the Suda51 interview he did where he was by all evidence self-effacing and cool.

e: what a terrible loving page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

guts and bolts posted:

Am I the only one who finds Tim Rogers loving insufferable as well, that could just be a me thing. I watched his review of DMC5 and hated it so much that it colored my opinion of him ever after, I didn't even like him in the Suda51 interview he did where he was by all evidence self-effacing and cool.

Nope, me too. I don't think he's a bad guy but I find him to be really annoying. He always seems like a teenager trying super hard to be one of the cool kids.

His FF7 translation videos are pretty good though.

The Japanese and English differences are overblown by fans because "whoa dude, did you know about how in Japanese its totally different!!!" there are some key differences but mostly just more nuance and details. The Remake is spending more time and characterization than the English OR Japanese FF7 did, so its just... even more.

The biggest notable change is Barrett isn't straight Mr. T.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jC2uMmfnmI

Guard Scorpion is down to 2:55. Which is faster than the average speed on classic Guard scorp.

This game clearly rewards being aggressive, and I dig that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

The smart money is that it will be at least 3 parts, maybe 4. Any more than that stretches credulity, and 2 parts is simply not enough to cover the original based on the tech they're using presently and the model they've built the game upon. Having part 1 be Midgar and part 2 be everything else would be crazy pills imo.

I'll take the over on 3-4 parts tbh. With the hype this thing is getting, I could see it being a XIV-like cash cow that they just keep milking until it runs dry. If people are still buying it after the final battle, we'll get an Advent Children remake, FF VII: The After Years, and FF VII: The Even Later Years.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Onmi posted:

Guard Scorpion is down to 2:55. Which is faster than the average speed on classic Guard scorp.

This game clearly rewards being aggressive, and I dig that.

There's some interesting resource economy stuff in there, especially with how guarding attacks builds ATB.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zaphod42 posted:

He always seems like a teenager trying super hard to be one of the cool kids.

That's what I like about him; he's just so far up his own rear end that I can't help but be amused. When a guy can write a 50-page review of Super Mario Bros that only mentions the actual game on one (1) page it's kind of impressive, really

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat I want in on the guard scorpion speedrunning action.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Of curse I know how popular FFVII was but for some reason this fact never really hit me until somebody pointed it out...

This is the single biggest video game remake of all time. The original game was super popular and has maintained its legacy all these years, having people clamor for a remake for over a decade. It's got the hype and the demand.

Nothing else even comes close that I know of.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

guts and bolts posted:

The hardest mandatory bosses in FFVII for when you fight them, assuming you are 13 years old and don't know how to completely bork JRPGs yet:

What makes Hundred Gunner so hard? I don't remember ever having issues with that guy.

Then again, I never really had problems with Carry Armor either.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

If you hear Tim Rogers talking in a strange newscastery cadence, he's said before he's intentionally putting on that character iirc. It's a goofy schtick but I find him entertaining and a lot of his content is pretty insightful.

If you see some of his content where he's just talking normally (like in Let's Plays and stuff) he's not as amusing or witty.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What makes Hundred Gunner so hard? I don't remember ever having issues with that guy.

Then again, I never really had problems with Carry Armor either.

You get a prompt to unequip Barret's party right before the fight, and then it's a two phase long-range battle, where if you're ill-equipped or unequipped, Barret is the only one that can attack him.

I remember my brother playing it the first time, Red XIII was completely useless on offense because he had no attack materia or grenades...

And even if you limp through that fight, the second gunner immediately appears.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

One thing that confuses me with the speedrunning is that people don't seem to be using the quickbinds for certain actions like focused thrust lightning and fire. Might only save a few seconds, but still probably will save a few seconds every ATB action from not needing to cycle through menus.

Edit: nvm. the 2:55 one does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

guts and bolts posted:

No, he's the worst, the FF7 translation is the only remotely good thing he's done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Of curse I know how popular FFVII was but for some reason this fact never really hit me until somebody pointed it out...

This is the single biggest video game remake of all time. The original game was super popular and has maintained its legacy all these years, having people clamor for a remake for over a decade. It's got the hype and the demand.

I would say Resident Evil 2 was up there. It was an incredibly influential and popular game and the remake sold gangbusters.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
WC3 Reforged could have been on that level but welp. :shepicide:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/02/final-fantasy-7-remake-interview/

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think only a MGS1 or Demon's Souls remake could come close. And both of them have been regularly rumored as bluepoint studio's PS5 game for a while now.

FFVII definitely is the biggest name in remakes though, not many games with its legacy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elentor posted:

Here's a secret:

They're not that different.

Yeah the body language alone is the same between versions there's only so much change you could do and still have it make sense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alright, who made this decision, and can we fire them.

Fake Edit: Apparently Kitase was the one who came up with the compilation in the first place. This is like doing a remake of FF4 but adding references to The After Years... then again TAY is nothing but references to FF4... And they still acknowledged Dalton ending in CTDS...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SE teasing people, accidentally or not, since 2006 probably pulls it a good deal ahead of other games that are just similarly really popular.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

WE DEEPGROUND BOIZ

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think only a MGS1 or Demon's Souls remake could come close. And both of them have been regularly rumored as bluepoint studio's PS5 game for a while now.

FFVII definitely is the biggest name in remakes though, not many games with its legacy.

At first I thought you meant The Twin Snakes which nobody really cared about.

There's rumors of a real, next gen MGS1 remake? I am.....intrigued. I wonder if they'd get David Hayter and the crew back together. I don't think anyone is dead. A couple of the VAs from Sons of Liberty are no longer with us (John Cygan aka Solidus and Paul Lukather aka President Johnson ) but as far as I know everyone from MGS is still around doing stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hayter famously killed his voice doing Old Snake for 4 and hasn't been able to sound like MGS1 Snake.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Going back to the ATB stuff, I think there's an interesting dynamic to how successful aggression and mechanic usage feed into themselves, but getting a third party member and stuffing one with better Cure spells will probably help stave off the situations I've seen in streams where players having trouble get stuck making Cloud and Barrett toss potions at each other instead of using their offensive skills.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

At first I thought you meant The Twin Snakes which nobody really cared about.

There's rumors of a real, next gen MGS1 remake? I am.....intrigued. I wonder if they'd get David Hayter and the crew back together. I don't think anyone is dead. A couple of the VAs from Sons of Liberty are no longer with us (John Cygan aka Solidus and Paul Lukather aka President Johnson ) but as far as I know everyone from MGS is still around doing stuff.

Isn't somebody's JP VA dead? I remember there was some discussion about this back before Smash came out re: speculation on if they would record new codec calls for the post-Brawl characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The remake I really want is Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIjT-LhNwg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ocarina of Time was pretty huge as far as remakes go - though it obviously wasn't as big of an overhaul as this. Shame it was on 3DS.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Onmi posted:

Alright, who made this decision, and can we fire them.

Fake Edit: Apparently Kitase was the one who came up with the compilation in the first place. This is like doing a remake of FF4 but adding references to The After Years... then again TAY is nothing but references to FF4... And they still acknowledged Dalton ending in CTDS...

What could you even reference to TAY in Final Fantasy IV? That 17 years later, some cardboard cut-out villain in the shape of Rydia will show up? :v:

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I don't have a PS4, does the demo do anything new with my boy Wedge

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Blue Mage is good, actually. :colbert:

blue mage is one of those where it's cool in theory but basically every implementation of it blows

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I don't have a PS4, does the demo do anything new with my boy Wedge

blue mage is one of those where it's cool in theory but basically every implementation of it blows

Portrays him as very dyed in the wool believer. Where as Biggs mostly seems to be here because he wants to gently caress Jessie, and Jessie seems to be here because she's a thrillseeker. This is still the first 'real' mission.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somebody on another forum was wondering if Cid will still smoke cigarettes in this.

The only characters I see smoke in anime are the obvious bad guys in MHA. Can they have a hero smoke in 2020?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody on another forum was wondering if Cid will still smoke cigarettes in this.

The only characters I see smoke in anime are the obvious bad guys in MHA. Can they have a hero smoke in 2020?

I hope he vapes

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Veib posted:

I hope he vapes

Cant light a stick of TNT off a vape pen

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Cant light a stick of TNT off a vape pen

Custom vape pen with a lighter on the other end

Shaped like the rocket

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I hope we don’t get the edgy Vanilla Ice looking 90’s Cid with a goddamn soul patch from Advent Children.

Yikes.

Edit: Vanilla Ice Cid absolutely would vape though.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I hope we don’t get the edgy vanilla ice looking 90’s Cid with a goddamn soul patch from Advent Children.

Yikes.

I loving hope we do. It's too bad Billy Herrington is dead (RIP) or I'd love for him to voice Cid, too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadget posted:

I loving hope we do. It's too bad Billy Herrington is dead (RIP) or I'd love for him to voice Cid, too.

Ironically, Vanilla Ice will voice Cid

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I just need him to be screaming about tea during battles and I’ll be happy

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anyone buy candy bars to get the PS4 theme and items? How much of a pain in the rear end is registering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

steve blum would probably work if he did his best gravel-gargling voice