Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He wants stand alone good stories like TMA but without metaplot. Stop being obtuse.

So like… good short stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's NoSleep it's hit or miss though where some stories are really good and others are really bad.

Skip any story by CK Walker

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Try The Magnus Archives ;)

Did you all know that a fan on Reddit made a Magnus Archives in America "spin-off"?

It's called The Underwood Collection and I'll just say... Nobody can top Mr. Sims, at least not at his own game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is TANIS ever going to get off the paid service and be free? I want to hate-listen to it so bad..

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New Leaf posted:

Is TANIS ever going to get off the paid service and be free? I want to hate-listen to it so bad..

Is there seriously nothing better you'd rather do?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

I dunno but, dude, it's so bad this season. Worse than ever.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

is it still every week finding some new connection between tanis and an obscure creepy event/story?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

New Leaf posted:

Same

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Many of the early Pseudopod episodes were good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s generally sounds pretty polished, though, unless that’s a recent development.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pseudopod and No Sleep tend to have the same problem in that early on, they had a lot of quality work to choose from, but as time goes on and the episode count increases, it becomes quantity over quality.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It feels like with NoSleep the beginning of a season is strong the middle is blah and they end on a high note. The holiday specials are typically pretty okay as well

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Tweak posted:

is it still every week finding some new connection between tanis and an obscure creepy event/story?

The beginning of every single episode and it NEVER matters and is immediately forgotten

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Farg posted:

The beginning of every single episode and it NEVER matters and is immediately forgotten

How much of each episode is recapping events from previous ones? I swear to god at one point I was sure that each 20 minute episode had maybe 5 minutes of actual new stuff in it once they'd played the title music, done the disclaimer about listening to all the other episodes first, had a bunch of 30 second long silences, trailed what was going to happen in the episode and recapped previous weeks in case you'd ignored them telling you to go and listen to the other episodes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is Tanis even making any money off it being pay to listen? I figure there's enough people interested in the nonsense or even just wanting to hate-listen but considering how long its been spinning its hard to believe that many people would spend money on it...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HIJK posted:

Is Tanis even making any money off it being pay to listen? I figure there's enough people interested in the nonsense or even just wanting to hate-listen but considering how long its been spinning its hard to believe that many people would spend money on it...

I would assume so. Those deals generally involve direct compensation, since it necessarily means any ads they run are gonna reach fewer people

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Did magnus archives start with an ad for loblaw's for anyone else :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Did magnus archives start with an ad for loblaw's for anyone else :psyduck:

They have targeted advertising on their host. A few podcast providers do that now.

EDIT: \/ it weirded me out a lot when Night Vale started it because they insert their ads between Joseph's news intro and the actual episode.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 22, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

They have targeted advertising on their host. A few podcast providers do that now.

Thanks, I thought I was going out of my mind hearing a british podcast giving me an ad for a canadian grocery store.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

What are you listening on that has baked in ads? I've never heard an ad on a podcast that wasn't put there by the creators.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

What are you listening on that has baked in ads? I've never heard an ad on a podcast that wasn't put there by the creators.

These are put in by the hosting providers. I've used both AnyPod and Pocketcasts and both Magnus (though they are at the tail end of the episode and advertising other podcasts) and Night Vale both have dynamic ads now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think it's Acast that puts the targeted ads in there. I guess it's good but it gets really creepy when I get one for a car dealership that specifically mentions their branch in my home city

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

These are put in by the hosting providers. I've used both AnyPod and Pocketcasts and both Magnus (though they are at the tail end of the episode and advertising other podcasts) and Night Vale both have dynamic ads now.

That's bizarre, I've used Pocket Casts for years and never heard an ad..

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Might depend on if you download or stream. I only really hear them when I'm using it on my phone with downloaded episodes.

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's Acast that puts the targeted ads in there. I guess it's good but it gets really creepy when I get one for a car dealership that specifically mentions their branch in my home city

Acast and PRX both do it for sure.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Last episode of White Vault S3 is out. An old friend returns after being "rescued" by the Narrator. Things fell apart.

Mixed feelings about this season. I know they had disruptions in production. There were a lot of pronunciation errors and differences in recording levels. Made it hard to suspend disbelief and called attention to issues with the actors' differing comfort level with English. I'm also very invested in seeing Simon die in a terrible way.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Last episode of White Vault S3 is out. An old friend returns after being "rescued" by the Narrator. Things fell apart.

Mixed feelings about this season. I know they had disruptions in production. There were a lot of pronunciation errors and differences in recording levels. Made it hard to suspend disbelief and called attention to issues with the actors' differing comfort level with English. I'm also very invested in seeing Simon die in a terrible way.

Kinda mixed feelings. Happy to see Casner alive, but now he's going back into...whatever. Connecting the two sites seems like a bit of a stretch but I'll keep following. Faults not withstanding, the people behind this seem to enjoy what they do and put their hearts into their production.

Now where's my Tanis/Last Movie to hate-listen :colbert:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratatozsk posted:

Kinda mixed feelings. Happy to see Casner alive, but now he's going back into...whatever. Connecting the two sites seems like a bit of a stretch but I'll keep following. Faults not withstanding, the people behind this seem to enjoy what they do and put their hearts into their production.

I really enjoy it, but the next season is where they either pay off all the mystery they've built, or go full Tanis and keep making palette swap seasons until the audience slowly melts away. I hope it's the former.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm pretty sure I got the recommendation here, but "Victoriocity" is loving awesome. It's a comedy detective show set in an 1800's steampunk London. The writing and acting are absolutely top notch and it's absolutely hilarious. The world building is great too, and I'm not even really a steampunk guy. https://www.victoriocity.com/

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I've finally jumped on the Magnus train. Y'all are right. It's loving good. I'm up to the beginning of season three and binging while Earth is closed for business.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fil5000 posted:

How much of each episode is recapping events from previous ones? I swear to god at one point I was sure that each 20 minute episode had maybe 5 minutes of actual new stuff in it once they'd played the title music, done the disclaimer about listening to all the other episodes first, had a bunch of 30 second long silences, trailed what was going to happen in the episode and recapped previous weeks in case you'd ignored them telling you to go and listen to the other episodes.

Don’t forget the ads for socks and stamps!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TMA back on April 2.

In the meantime Matthew M Bartlett’s got new audiobooks of old collections out and you can easily convince yourself they’re podcasts if you had a mind to do so

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

TMA back on April 2.

In the meantime Matthew M Bartlett’s got new audiobooks of old collections out and you can easily convince yourself they’re podcasts if you had a mind to do so

Is this confirmed s/p COVID? I could see this delaying the production schedule.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Teaser went out this morning, so I'd assume it's confirmed unless something has changed since then

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

They probably already have significant amounts of it recorded. Part of why they wanted the break was so they could avoid a time crunch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

They probably already have significant amounts of it recorded. Part of why they wanted the break was so they could avoid a time crunch.

Considering the number of folks involved in a lot of their stuff I wouldn't be surprised if the main recordings are done within a month or two and then there's a lot of post-production work.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Has anyone listened to Call of the Void? I binged the whole thing last night (9 roughly 25 minute episodes), and it's very good. Kind of reminds me of Stranger Things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Considering the number of folks involved in a lot of their stuff I wouldn't be surprised if the main recordings are done within a month or two and then there's a lot of post-production work.

From the interviews it sounds like they usually run 8-10 weeks ahead. They were talking about writing and trying to get the finale done around the Edinburgh Festivals for instance.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Ratatozsk posted:

They just put out a mini announcement saying their release schedules haven't been affected and they've pivoted to remote recording setups for the future. Also that they're giving 10% of their patreon income to arts charities but not to donate to them on patreon if there's any risk you can't afford it in the coming months.

RQ seem to be good people.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Alex (the producer of Magnus as well as the man who plays Martin) did an announcement where the stated everyone is safe, they are taking the virus seriously, and they have a good chunk recorded already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Apparently people constantly refreshing for the new TMA crashed Patreon.