Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

coding villains seems way more in the bag of western media ime, at the very least when it's cropping up in anime/manga it's alongside the protagonists or other related characters being coded as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Oh no she's cute
(All of Hiura's classmates, probably)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dogsicle posted:

coding villains seems way more in the bag of western media ime, at the very least when it's cropping up in anime/manga it's alongside the protagonists or other related characters being coded as well

eh, it feels about the same on average to me? i think its just the western conversation is focus on the villain tropes more often then not, but like even 30s movies from the west have a lot of coded characters, (very few protagonists tho... tho there is some) that aren't villains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

comparatively speaking (esp. in the 90s) anime and such is way more comfortable with gender blurring/ambiguity so when you get an ambigulously gay villain he's usually up against characters that aren't hypermasculinized as contrast there's the occasional exception like a couple hokuto no ken villains and such but compare, say, dio vamping around the screen or all the pretty boys in part 4 of jojo's. yeah they've got some elemetns of it but design wise they have the same beautiful muscle god aesthetic as the protagonists, and its not like the protagonists are immune to homoerotic moments.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I think it happens in anime/manga too, usually it's like not coded, just the gay or trans character has to commit suicide or end up actually not gay/trans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the last time i can remember that trope being even semi-common was like, the early 2000s.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yeah i think it mostly died off, and good riddance

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I can think of one example from the past 10 years, but yes thankfully it's a pretty dead trope.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mikl posted:

Oh no she's cute
(All of Hiura's classmates, probably)

Classmates:

Page 3: ew does he like boys

page 4: I hope s/he likes boys

Stalin-Chan posted:

I think it happens in anime/manga too, usually it's like not coded, just the gay or trans character has to commit suicide or end up actually not gay/trans.

Yeah, that was pretty common due to the origins of yaoi and in particular yuri, but the idea of gayness being a phase you grow out of is way less widespread now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

post the source or feel my wrath

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora posted:

post the source or feel my wrath

https://mangadex.org/title/20597/seifuku-no-vampiress-lord sorry i thought this was a ZONE where we all have read vampiress lord already or are you not a cool kid B)
hehehehe just kidding its realy good enjoy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

are there any opinions on FukaBoku? the person who recommended it said it looks like fetish stuff on the surface but quickly dives into realistic and well-portrayed gender issues

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

are there any opinions on FukaBoku? the person who recommended it said it looks like fetish stuff on the surface but quickly dives into realistic and well-portrayed gender issues

it is cute and good.

There's a lot I could write about how well realised Mogumo is as a non-binary person struggling to have their identity recognised by those around them, but honestly you should just read it and experience it yourself.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Seshoho Cian posted:

it is cute and good.

There's a lot I could write about how well realised Mogumo is as a non-binary person struggling to have their identity recognised by those around them, but honestly you should just read it and experience it yourself.

yeah that's the sort of thing I like to see! i'll definitely check it out then, thanks

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Any recommendations for stuff that has similar story elements/relationships to Guts/Griffith, Akira/Ryo, Shinji/Kaworu, etc.? I really like the tragic "dear friends with a lot of homoerotic tension that end up as nemeses/enemies" cliche.

Also, speaking of Miura, I started reading Duranki recently and it's... good. The conceit of using a divine androgyne as a protagonist is very interesting and novel, and it manages to be just as engaging as any of the storytelling and characterisation in Berserk. In a more contemporary context, it's also incredibly refreshing to see an intersex lead, even moreso as Usumgallu's depiction is unambiguously positive. The only thing I don't like so far is the sexualisation of Usumgallu; there's a kind of fetishistic male-gaze aspect, with certain parts of their body and its proportions more reminiscent of a grown woman than a child's. Some panels even emphasise it, and it just feels gross and inappropriate on multiple levels. With the introduction of the tribal boys, some of the recent scenes have hit the same kind of disturbing, uncomfortable, what-the-gently caress-am-I-reading vibe that I got from King's kid orgy in It (albeit not nearly as bad).

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

With the introduction of the tribal boys, some of the recent scenes have hit the same kind of disturbing, uncomfortable, what-the-gently caress-am-I-reading vibe that I got from King's kid orgy in It (albeit not nearly as bad)

If this is your response to a series maybe don't talk about it here. The last time this manga was brought up a bunch of users got permad, and the thread killed, and I would rather the same not happen to this thread.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed.

Now, can someone help me remember a series' name? It was about a gloomy-ish girl that draws manga, but then the class idol (or was she a gyaru? I don't recall) starts saying how she's really cool and all and they basically start dating from there?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wark Say posted:

Indeed.

Now, can someone help me remember a series' name? It was about a gloomy-ish girl that draws manga, but then the class idol (or was she a gyaru? I don't recall) starts saying how she's really cool and all and they basically start dating from there?

https://mangadex.org/title/33202/tadokoro-san-web-comic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You rock real hard. Thanks! :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Theres a non webcomic version too but i dont think its very far along yet

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Miura barely works on Berserk anymore, and he's started working on a second manga at the same time?

sorry, not trying to discuss the actual story which apparently gets pretty gross going by that description, just baffled at him deciding to double the workload when from all i hear of him he's not even managing to work on just one manga at a time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miuras only doing storyboards for it, its mostly being done by his assistants. Its basically something that exists so his assistants can have more work and hes only involved enough to justify getting an author credit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
well that's good for his assistants i suppose

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Seshoho Cian posted:

it is cute and good.

Love me for who I am.... is so good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

!!1

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm posting trans news in here because this is also just general lgbt chat but

https://www.dailypress.com/virginiagazette/va-vg-wire-birth-certificate-0229-20200302-53banaao2jeuhort3pl6mksi4e-story.html

I was born in Virginia so this is huge for me since I decided against getting the "right" surgery

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I absolutely do not get what sino's deal is here.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm posting trans news in here because this is also just general lgbt chat but

https://www.dailypress.com/virginiagazette/va-vg-wire-birth-certificate-0229-20200302-53banaao2jeuhort3pl6mksi4e-story.html

I was born in Virginia so this is huge for me since I decided against getting the "right" surgery

that's great to hear

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm gay and stupid.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

Hell, same

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

:yeah:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

yes same

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.

same here

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm gay and stupid.
:same:

I also enjoy stupidly loud colors, stupidly hot pizzas and stupidly loud amps, despite the fact that I should wear earplugs any time I even flirt with dialing my favorite "caveman bloodletting ritual" distortion + putting the volume above 2 in any of my obnoxiously loud amps.

With the exception of my Fender Twin Reverb and maybe my Mesa Express + 5:25, all of my amps are obnoxiously loud. Even the loving practice amp.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
actually i am a genius

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

actually i am a genius

Whoa...Look at the ego on this chick here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

actually i am a genius
Do you have an evil laugh, tho'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post