Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I will probably do the four job fiesta thing this year because I feel bad I haven't played FFV

If I beat V then that only leaves III which I played and didn't like/VI which I've tried to play the PS1 port of a couple times and only made it a few hours in/I and II which I just haven't played but people make II sound cool sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Videogames are cool because you get to fight bad people and stop their evil plans instead of getting anxiety as bad guys do whatever the gently caress they want as the exploited people yell at you for saying they aren't good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay then, what exactly did you mean when you told someone that it was time to drink the kool aid, a phrase that came about in reference to the mass suicides of people in Jonestown?
is this that gaslighting thing people talk about. its a phrase in the merriam webster dictionary even with no association with suicide, meaning to get on board with group ideology

better luck next time, youll have to find your drama elsewhere today

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can speak about where I’m at, why like last night really, really bummed me out:

I’ve been in “we (the left) could really use a win” mode for a long time now. The last time I felt excited and optimistic about a political movement was years and years ago, when Canada’s New Democratic Party (the left, maybe centre-left federal party, that usually ends up in third place in elections) had an amazing surge in, like, 2011. Since then, it’s been an unbroken series of disappointments. Over and over again, my province, my neighbouring provinces, my country, have elected poo poo neoliberals and/or racist cocksuckers. Then there’s Trump, Brexit, Boris Johnson, Macron...

I’m feeling pretty disconnected from “the general public” right now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

is this that gaslighting thing people talk about. its a phrase in the merriam webster dictionary even with no association with suicide, meaning to get on board with group ideology

better luck next time, youll have to find your drama elsewhere today

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sure dictionaries have instructional manuals, you'll figure out how to read it eventually

tbh I wish heavens gate was the cult that left us with the cult mindset metaphor, those guys were cool and jim jones in all honesty is massively fail. it'd probably be something cool like "strap on your nikes" too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now if someone tells you to drink flavor aid, that's absolutely someone that wishes ill on you. it's the specificity that increases it's violence, like when someone is really adamant about the difference between pedophilia and that other one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The past 10 years have challenged so many of the fundamental assumptions I've held about the world, about the inherent goodness of people and our ability to work through problems, and that consistent erosion of confidence stings more than from when I was younger, angrier, and optimistic. It's also caused me to reflect a lot upon the kind of life I'd like to lead, a more anonymous life spent in the quiet dignity of helping others.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Snail, you don't need to be this way. I know you are better than this and I know that you only continue with this act because you don't want others who are equally uncomfortable with themselves to make fun of you for caring about something. I know you understand how it could reflect poorly on you that you responded to someone talking about mental health issues with a phrase whose origins stem from a mass suicide. I know that you understand this fully well and that you feel you can't have a real conversation about this without worrying about being seen as weak for not trying to coat everything in irony, sarcasm, and quips.

You are better than this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that is nonsensical, I don't have the pic of the guy squinting with the question marks over his head but pretend he's right here

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShmE8wysUWc&t=55s

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think snail was telling that guy to kill himself

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Talking about politics WRT video games is great and a topic I will never want to discourage here.

Doom saying about the primaries can gently caress off to DnD/cspam/gbs personally. If I wanted to hear about this poo poo I wouldn't be playing video games so much.

Like you want something miserable but on topic for a video game thread then how about this poo poo.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 4, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Bystander posted:

I'm playing Arkham Knight to see what the deal is since I blazed through Asylum again and am currently doing the challenge stuff for City. It feels like it has the potential to be better than City but the Batmobile kind of sucks to drive and the thought of having to do races doesn't seem good.

There's only one driving focused section at the end of the game and it's an awesome chase against a giant loving drill machine that feels like you're running away from a graboid. I think there's only three Riddler races total and they're pretty straightforward.

As for everything else the Batmobile is a bulldozer and it's surprising how many obstacles you can just crash through. Use the tank mode as a drift/sudden stop for tight turns. Upgrade the launcher and turn Batman into superman as you spring a mile in the air, moving is so much fun I'll just cross the entirety of Gotham never touching the ground.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ohhhhh just found out there's an expansion to a really lovely little card game D&D Dungeon Mayhem: Monster Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebNOL1Rzz6Q

If you want a nice simple easy to learn card game, I highly recommend the base game.
Like it is a legit great game that takes all of 5-10min to play per round once you get in the swing of things.

Box has slots for the base game + 1st expansion :swoon:

Gonna snag this next time I see it out in the wild.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

drinking the koolaid isn't used as a kill yourself thing regardless of origins, it's by and large used modernly for cultish devotion and mindless following of something or someone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The kool-aid corporation would like to remind you the cult drank flavor-aid not kool-aid

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am supremely bummed out but am glad at least that i have this space to chat with reasonable folks

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I'm sure dictionaries have instructional manuals, you'll figure out how to read it eventually

tbh I wish heavens gate was the cult that left us with the cult mindset metaphor, those guys were cool and jim jones in all honesty is massively fail. it'd probably be something cool like "strap on your nikes" too

homeless snail posted:

now if someone tells you to drink flavor aid, that's absolutely someone that wishes ill on you. it's the specificity that increases it's violence, like when someone is really adamant about the difference between pedophilia and that other one

This gimmick is both extraordinarily tedious and reminiscent of neonazis pretending to multiculturalist interpretations of the swastika while very obviously using it only in the white supremacist connotation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I gotta be honest, the biggest frustrating aspect of American politics nobody really talks about, and I’m just going to say it outright it’s because like 95% of politicians are white men, is how older people of color have assimilated into the system. Those fortunate enough to come out on top after the 60s had families and now those millennials had families and the country instills a strong “I got mine, gently caress yall” attitude. I had to beg my blackass parents not to vote for Biden but they see him as the safest option because no nigga older than 50 wants to stir the pot cause for the first tome in their family line they made it (when I was 20 I was like gently caress the police but now I’m 50 and like where da gently caress are the police -jay-z)

And the seeds were sewn years ago and it’s kind of shocking. I went from being basically homeless to a 6 figure job in IT and the office demographic looks like what Fox News thinks an inner city gang looks like, there’s one white dude out of 12 people and they’re all 25-35 but talk about anime and trading stocks and how coronavirus is good because its such a great investment opportunity. That was my culture shock it was loving wild.

Aaand that’s my candid moment for the year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

90s comedy made us think every Indian ran a failing 7-11 but in reality a lot of those first generation immigrants are multi-millionaires who run like 50 businesses white people abandoned in the 70s and they typically vote right.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Green is the only color lots of people care about.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Video Game Chat:

I’ve been playing Mafia III, and it’s set-up is refreshing where I’m not playing a conflicted protagonist. I have no hesitation towards taking out everyone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

this poo poo's why i keep voting the thread a 1, btw

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Phantasium posted:

wow, didn't know you felt so strongly about mafia 3

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Phantasium posted:

Sorry, I won't talk about Mafia III's story of revenge again.

I'm also started playing Baldur's Gate on iOS because my PC is boxed up for our upcoming move. I think it will work pretty well. Any tips for a first timer?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Keep some booze at hand because low level D&D combat will make you want to drink heavily

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
THAC0 more like THAC no thanks!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'll never forget starting Icewind Dale and having my party wiped out by the very first pack of enemies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

See this is what I mean about this thread

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post other than trying to drag every down to be just as depressed as you are

theyre probably just trying to vent about things sucking, which is a normal response, and constantly jumping down peoples throats for doing it sucks and you should stop

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is entirely reasonable to be upset about the united states sawing its own leg off in a weird jigsaw-esque ritual except entirely of its own free will with no gun to their head

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think snail was telling that guy to kill himself

oddium posted:

drinking the koolaid isn't used as a kill yourself thing regardless of origins, it's by and large used modernly for cultish devotion and mindless following of something or someone

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I had every intention of starting a new Stellaris save last night but it seemed like an absolutely monumental task to relearn how Stellaris works so I didn't and then just arzy'd instead.

I should have played Stellaris instead.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whether bernie wins or loses you should carry on his message of hating moderate centrists that say good things are too hard to pay for. they will always be there and they must always be stamped down

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

Sorry, I won't talk about Mafia III's story of revenge again.

I'm also started playing Baldur's Gate on iOS because my PC is boxed up for our upcoming move. I think it will work pretty well. Any tips for a first timer?

Abuse potions and scrolls. The game gives you them to use, don't be my first D&D group.

Real time with paused is meant to be abused. Use a tank to kite groups of enemies into a death tunnel of ranged attacks.

Summon magic is the best magic bar none. Then status affecting magic like slow, haste, and stinking cloud. Fireballs and poo poo are historically the least useful D&D spells despite their cool factor because D&D combat is all about action economy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

whether bernie wins or loses you should carry on his message of hating moderate centrists that say good things are too hard to pay for. they will always be there and they must always be stamped down

:hai:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I had every intention of starting a new Stellaris save last night but it seemed like an absolutely monumental task to relearn how Stellaris works so I didn't and then just arzy'd instead.

I should have played Stellaris instead.

good news the changes are mostly good and its fun

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Real time with pause

ok here we go, some REAL vitriol to shake things up here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

it is entirely reasonable to be upset about the united states sawing its own leg off in a weird jigsaw-esque ritual except entirely of its own free will with no gun to their head

The US, like Jigsaw, murders people but claims innocence because the victim could've escaped if they brutally mutilate themselves.