Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

muscles like this! posted:

We went over this last week, there are two shows that are just called War of the Worlds right now. The BBC one and one from France which is airing on Epix in America.

Is it worth subbing to Epix for a month? I can't seem to find it elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s worth subbing to watch Perpetual Grace Ltd. idk about this one

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How did that show Pennyworth turn out?

You can sub to Epix through Amazon Channels and I'm pretty sure they have a free trial of at least a week as well.

It's the War of the Worlds show French language with sub/dub or is it just a French production but in English. Not that it matters much to me, but I'm just curious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah it felt like half of a season sort of... I hope there's more coming soon, I liked all the characters

I was watching some of that yesterday and the first episode ended super quick and I looked at the runtimes and the whole drat thing is less than 2 hours. That's not a TV show that's a movie!!

e: lmao the Outsider thread loving hates the show, of course. Gah moody introspective pieces, where's the plot??>??

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Looks like it's in english. The trailer looks good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXPiQh06tWY
Anyone know how many episodes there are gonna be? Just the four?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a ton of french dialogue in the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Breeders is yet another proof for my theory that Hollywood is to blame for the declining birth rate in the western world.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

There's a ton of french dialogue in the show.

Ahh so subbing is probably the only way to really watch it as my french is not very good. Also heads up anyone else apparently you can watch the first 3 episodes free in the app so I'll do the free 7 day trial when the rest of the series airs. Oh and I finally found out that it's gonna be 8 episodes. Man there have been way too many adaptations of this same story I hope this one is good. I checked out of the BBC's most recent version after the first episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oasx posted:

Breeders is yet another proof for my theory that Hollywood is to blame for the declining birth rate in the western world.

Care to ellaborate?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, is it any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1235233566193152000

o7

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oasx posted:

Man we're only just now at the point where movies can portray parenthood as anything but the bestest and most important and meaningful thing in the whole wide world, if anything it pushes the opposite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sleeveless posted:

Man we're only just now at the point where movies can portray parenthood as anything but the bestest and most important and meaningful thing in the whole wide world, if anything it pushes the opposite.

You have no idea how much I hate that I'm at least partially agreeing with you.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Poor guy. I'm certain that's a wig. He's been put through hell and he's still probably not long for this world. What a fuckin shame. :smith:

Iron Crowned posted:

You have no idea how much I hate that I'm at least partially agreeing with you.

That's his gimmick. One out of 5-10 posts is a reasonably good one. It's weird and has thrown me off a couple of times.

Anyway I just finished ep 1 of WOTW and it's good so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you're 79 years old, that's true whether you have cancer or not.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Iron Crowned posted:

Care to ellaborate?

It's my pet conspiracy theory that has no basis in facts. The idea is that you rarely see a child in an american tv show or movie that isn't incredibly annoying or a horrible brat. Sometimes you get lucky and the horrible behavior is balanced by them also being tolerable, but those moments are in the minority.
In other words we keep telling young people that children are horrible monsters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate children and what having children does to otherwise normal, rational people. Big ups to my mom and dad for not agreeing though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I hate children and what having children does to otherwise normal, rational people. Big ups to my mom and dad for not agreeing though!

My parents had 4 kids and now they hate each other and my mom hates her life and blames us so uh

Yeah.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Oasx posted:

It's my pet conspiracy theory that has no basis in facts. The idea is that you rarely see a child in an american tv show or movie that isn't incredibly annoying or a horrible brat. Sometimes you get lucky and the horrible behavior is balanced by them also being tolerable, but those moments are in the minority.
In other words we keep telling young people that children are horrible monsters.

Sure but also the economic reality is that children are expensive to have and raise. It's easy to not care about those things when you're a fictional character and things always work out, now try rasing two kids, owning a home, and paying college loans on $50,000 a year in reality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And also in reality children are soul sucking monsters that ruin your goddamn life and your home and you can't own anything nice or go on a nice vacation or have a sports car

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My parents had 4 kids and now they hate each other and my mom hates her life and blames us so uh

Yeah.

My parents love me and my siblings and their kids but my dad retired and immediately got another job because he was bored so they're nuts. But having children myself is utterly inimicable to my lifestyle of "living like I'm still in college just not going to class, oh wait that is exactly like living like I'm in college". I liked college (not classes)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hated children when I was a child and had a baby scare at 15 so yeah, gently caress child havers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes I, uh also, had sex in high school, as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sunday the rains stopped and the clouds parted, creating the perfect atmosphere for me to attempt being a mechanic. Of course that didn't work out, and as the hours of fighting with my car went on, the kids came out in full force. I know it wasn't their fault, but goddamn when I'm frustrated and sore, and trying to move the tensioner just enough to get a new belt on, their screaming and merrymaking just made it all the more frustrating.

Thankfully the damned kids have stopped playing in the stairwell, that was a special kind of hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Always told myself if I hit 40 without knocking anyone up, it's time for the snip snip. gently caress being an old rear end dad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I simply placed my balls in the microwave and chose the pop corn setting

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Always told myself if I hit 40 without knocking anyone up, it's time for the snip snip. gently caress being an old rear end dad.

A 54 year old dude I work with knocked up his ladyfriend and she's expecting twins. Can you imagine being that careless and stupid?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We also live in a world where the oop cost of a vasectomy is like a fraction of the cost of tubal ligation and much safer but men have been programmed for eons to equate fertility with masculinity so far too many don't get it done. I had a guy who has 10 kids tell me that he wouldn't get a vasectomy because "then you're just jizzing in your ballsack" so with logic like that it's no surprise he's got enough to field a baseball team. Once my work insurance kicks in a trip to the testicle man is in order, for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Women also need their husband's consent to have it done. My wife's best friend wanted it done and was refused. She isn't even married!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

We also live in a world where the oop cost of a vasectomy is like a fraction of the cost of tubal ligation and much safer but men have been programmed for eons to equate fertility with masculinity so far too many don't get it done. I had a guy who has 10 kids tell me that he wouldn't get a vasectomy because "then you're just jizzing in your ballsack" so with logic like that it's no surprise he's got enough to field a baseball team. Once my work insurance kicks in a trip to the testicle man is in order, for sure.

That's ridiculous, jizzing in your ballsack would displace the pee that is stored there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I knew a woman who had a kid but didn't want any more but her doctor still didn't want to do it because of her age (she was in her 20s.)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
When my second child was born prematurely (we also had a history of pregnancy not going well) my wife asked for a tubal ligation. She was 33. The doctor still refused to do it unless I consented. What the ever loving gently caress? It's not my body bud, now do the loving thing your patient is asking for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were these all male docs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of Breeders and Martin Freeman’s character feels like he should be played by Gervais. A lot of the phrasing is extremely Gervais-esque. Dude’s a jackass but he could play this character better than Freeman can.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

Were these all male docs

You know the answer to this

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

Poor guy. I'm certain that's a wig. He's been put through hell and he's still probably not long for this world. What a fuckin shame. :smith:

He's joked with people to spot the episode where he switched to a toupee. I don't think the Jeopardy thread figured out when.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oasx posted:

honestly, you're not wrong about what you've noticed, but realistically speaking it's more because child actors are generally terrible at acting

when you see a kid in a movie or tv show that isn't obnoxious, that's because they found an actual good child actor

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand if you hate kids in real life then its probably not that mysterious why you hate kids on TV and in film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rhyno posted:

Women also need their husband's consent to have it done. My wife's best friend wanted it done and was refused. She isn't even married!

well I mean we don't need consent, it's not a legal requirement or anything. it's just that many ob/gyns are huge pieces of poo poo. I know women who have opted for hysterectomies because of medical issues and that's a whole other level of convincing.