Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

steve blum would probably work if he did his best gravel-gargling voice

He was already Vincent in the Compilation.

Since they seem to be dumping all the old VAs, he probably won't be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So here's a question in more game design thoughts than necessarily story thoughts but.

How do you incentivize players to use Aerith? Aerith worked in FF7 because her death is sudden and unexpected, but now her death is pin point accuracy and extremely expected. And people just have a habit of not using characters who are gonna die. Like... I see people just not use Aerith when they play classic FF7, because why bother to spend time on a character who's not gonna be around forever?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Onmi posted:

So here's a question in more game design thoughts than necessarily story thoughts but.

How do you incentivize players to use Aerith? Aerith worked in FF7 because her death is sudden and unexpected, but now her death is pin point accuracy and extremely expected. And people just have a habit of not using characters who are gonna die. Like... I see people just not use Aerith when they play classic FF7, because why bother to spend time on a character who's not gonna be around forever?

Man I have the opposite situation when I replay FF7, because I know ahead of time that she's forced into your party for the Temple of the Ancients, and when I played originally she was not anywhere as strong as the other two. So the demon wall hosed me UP and when I replay it I make sure she's properly leveled and can handle that part.

I feel like Aeris being a part of the group you choose won't matter as much this time. Unlike the first game where you split off into groups and the others disappear into nothingness, I think they're gonna probably have more characters on screen at a time. So she'll always have a presence outside of story stuff where she gets taken away

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Onmi posted:

I always kept Aeris in my party each time I played the original so :shrug:

I get the feeling that characters are going to be switching in and out of your party on a story basis rather than you directly choosing who’s in/out so thats one way they could do it.

Also, unless they get real crazy with it, she’s not going to die in Midgar so its not going to matter for this first game at least

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The fanbase acts like Cid is some obsessive tea drinker or something, but the only time he mentions the stuff is when he's making a comically inept attempt at hospitality toward the gang of strangers that suddenly showed up at his house. Because he's the mayor and he's supposed to do that kind of stuff despite being clearly terrible at it.

It's supposed to be something along the lines of "poo poo, we have guests, Shera go make them some tea or some poo poo idk what the gently caress you're supposed to do in this situation"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah they'll probably force party composition.

The question is whether or not absent party members gain xp. In the original they didn't but maybe they'll change that.

It would suck to not use Aerith then be forced to use her against Demon Wall, get wiped, then have to grind levels for her just to have her die after that dungeon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what I've heard from people who have played more of the game, it's a bit more linear, so it'd be weird to have to grind levels.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who is Aerith? Some new character they're adding to the remake?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s the name of the blend for Cids favourite tea (he loves tea)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Also, unless they get real crazy with it, she’s not going to die in Midgar so its not going to matter for this first game at least

Aerith dies at the end of every disc.

Sapozhnik posted:

The fanbase acts like Cid is some obsessive tea drinker or something, but the only time he mentions the stuff is when he's making a comically inept attempt at hospitality toward the gang of strangers that suddenly showed up at his house. Because he's the mayor and he's supposed to do that kind of stuff despite being clearly terrible at it.

It's supposed to be something along the lines of "poo poo, we have guests, Shera go make them some tea or some poo poo idk what the gently caress you're supposed to do in this situation"

THANK you!

Detective No. 27 posted:

:downswords:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Shes the slum drunk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

cid hated them before they even came into his house, because the first thing they did upon meeting him was go "can you pretty please give us your aeroplane"

it's less "inept hospitality" and more "i'd skullfuck the lot of you with my spear right now but shinra's coming over in like ten minutes and i don't want to get the carpet-steamer out"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's neat they're integrating stuff from the sequels because i dont know anything about them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Super No Vacancy posted:

it's neat they're integrating stuff from the sequels because i dont know anything about them.

Afaik it was mostly prequels, so get ready for everything you knew about anything in the game to change. Wonder what they'll do about Gackt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a book about the Turks that came out a couple years ago. So random.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

Shes the slum drunk drug dealer prostitute.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

the compilation material was mostly created when SE was at the absolute nadir of its creative output, so unless it's heavily tweaked and/or kept mostly in easter egg-esque flavor text it'll be more of a detriment than anything

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Onmi posted:

Give her an ability that makes your entire party invincible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oxxidation posted:

the compilation material was mostly created when SE was at the absolute nadir of its creative output, so unless it's heavily tweaked and/or kept mostly in easter egg-esque flavor text it'll be more of a detriment than anything

It's the main reason I haven't had high hopes for the remake. The combat has me interested but I'll still need to see where they go with it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gackt is cool and kingsglaive was good so i have faith

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Onmi posted:

Assuming she dies at or near the end of a part, the question is meaningless because each game will be entirely separate. It's not like the levels or materia you get in Part 1 or 2 are going to even remotely matter in Part 3.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Clarste posted:

Assuming she dies at or near the end of a part, the question is meaningless because each game will be entirely separate. It's not like the levels or materia you get in Part 1 or 2 are going to even remotely matter in Part 3.

I sure hope it does, because... without like Save carry through, I'm entirely uninterested in an episodic RPG concept.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's not episodic, they're sequels where they already know roughly the direction the story is going in. They may well not even have the exact same mechanics, if they decide things need reworking.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's not episodic, they're sequels where they already know roughly the direction the story is going in. They may well not even have the exact same mechanics, if they decide things need reworking.

Let me repeat myself: I am entirely uninterested in playing multiple games covering a single narrative where nothing carries over.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So it's going to be years between this one and whatever they're doing for the next one?

My excitement for this game is rapidly diminishing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It probably won't be a long wait between episodes/sequels/whatever. They already did the majority of the heavy lifting making the first part.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I’d be shocked if anything carried over, but hope springs eternal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Onmi posted:

Let me repeat myself: I am entirely uninterested in playing multiple games covering a single narrative where nothing carries over.

We read your text fine the first time, but they're not going to let you cast Firaga at the start of the next game, sorry.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I imagine you’ll get the equivalent of a pre-order bonus, some cosmetic items and some potions, for having a save from the previous game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Let's make FFXIII except at the end of every chapter you lose all your gear and Crystarium progress

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Onmi posted:

Its a good thing you speak for everyone.

Anyway, this has Xenosaga written all over it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

So it's going to be years between this one and whatever they're doing for the next one?

My excitement for this game is rapidly diminishing

yeah, they don't even have a roadmap after all this time. flying completely by the seat of their pants

midgar is also by far the most structured part of the original, which makes it the easiest to adapt/expand upon. i still expect this project to crash and burn, or possibly drown depending on how fast climate change advances

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bregor posted:

Let's make FFXIII except at the end of every chapter you lose all your gear and Crystarium progress

Still better than 13-2 and 13-3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Falcom's Trails series also does a lot of direct narrative sequels. Ending games on cliffhangers, etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Terper posted:

We read your text fine the first time, but they're not going to let you cast Firaga at the start of the next game, sorry.

Tbh I wouldnt be so sure about that. They could just let you carry your save and if you dont have one, they'll just give you a starter package.

Starting over as lv 1 with Buster Sword and lightning materia every time is makes even less sense.

If they want to remain at least somewhat faithful to the original they can't just redesign all the gameplay systems for every sequel. There has to be some sort of progression between each game.

Note, I'm not saying they can't cap your levels like in FFXIII, which would solve any balance issues.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 4, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The lengths people are going to to pretend that they suddenly have no concept of how videogame sequels work is astounding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Ocarina of Time was pretty huge as far as remakes go - though it obviously wasn't as big of an overhaul as this. Shame it was on 3DS.

Yeah they need to put it on Switch, its real nice.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope they redesign parts of the gameplay for each game. Learn from feedback and make things better and more fun. I don’t need them worrying about balancing things for people who did all the side content and those who just followed the main story across multiple game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Onmi posted:

If they already know then who cares, but if they don't know there you go.

Also, Aerith was the best healer in the original which made you want to use her, and made you miss her so much more when she was gone. I imagine she'll have a similar role in this where she'll basically make your party members invincible so the game is easy-mode with her around, which will make people use her and then miss that ability in the later game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kheldarn posted:

Still better than 13-2 and 13-3.

A Yuel who hated FF7R