Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I've just started this thread and am slowly going through it to try and listen to as much of the stuff as possible, but I'd really love any recommendations that are organ heavy, for an idea of the sort of stuff try this Cannabis India album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1L89baf0Q

Other stuff I like are when bands go on with what I think of as trance inducing stuff such as this song by Electric Orange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssP3Kb8siKE

So if you have any recommendations in either of those veins please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
First summer 2020 show for Crimson announced in USA, in Virginia. Also appearing, the Zappa Band.

https://www.wolftrap.org/calendar/performance/20filene/0630show20.aspx

"Guitarist Mike Keneally revealed he will be joined in the Zappa band by fellow FZ alums bassist Scott Thunes, guitarist Ray White and multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin as well as Zappa Plays Zappa drummer Joe “Vaultmeister” Travers — the musicians who participated in the Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa tour, aka the Hologram Tour. A report indicates former Zappa Plays Zappa guitarist Jamie Kime will also be part of the Zappa band. Full details are expected soon."

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I just listened to an album from 2016 that somehow sneaked under my prog radar. It's a collaboration between Jon Anderson (Yes...duh) and Roine Stolt (Flower Kings), from a plan that they apparently hatched while doing one of those prog cruises.

It's sumptuous as gently caress. I'm really hoping they do another.

I couldn't really find a single track on YT, so here's like 3 or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwM6rREoOoU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

First summer 2020 show for Crimson announced in USA, in Virginia. Also appearing, the Zappa Band.

https://www.wolftrap.org/calendar/performance/20filene/0630show20.aspx

"Guitarist Mike Keneally revealed he will be joined in the Zappa band by fellow FZ alums bassist Scott Thunes, guitarist Ray White and multi-instrumentalist Robert Martin as well as Zappa Plays Zappa drummer Joe “Vaultmeister” Travers — the musicians who participated in the Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa tour, aka the Hologram Tour. A report indicates former Zappa Plays Zappa guitarist Jamie Kime will also be part of the Zappa band. Full details are expected soon."

I didn’t think Wolf Trap did rock shows any more. Always seemed like a cool venue.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Got tickets to see Devin Townsend next month.

I discovered him after Epicloud, and quickly bought his entire back catalog. My son was 10-ish at the time, so he heard a lot of DTP through osmosis.

Last year, when he was 13, he tells me Devin Townsend is his fave band.

So he's excited we're going to a concert next month.

But I haven't told him I bought the VIP package, and he'll get to meet the guy. It's going to be a super great surprise. But it's only his second concert (Ghost was the first), and it'll be hard to top this one...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GORDON posted:

I discovered him after Epicloud, and quickly bought his entire back catalog. My son was 10-ish at the time, so he heard a lot of DTP through osmosis.

But I haven't told him I bought the VIP package, and he'll get to meet the guy. It's going to be a super great surprise. But it's only his second concert (Ghost was the first), and it'll be hard to top this one...

Sweet! Townsend's shows are always amazing, and the man himself is super personable. You and your son are in for a great time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GORDON posted:

You’re the coolest parent in the world, that’s awesome!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

You’re the coolest parent in the world, that’s awesome!

I'm actually more looking forward to seeing the look on my kid's face, than meeting Devin.

It'll be super cool to shake Devin's hand and thank him for all the amazing music... but... yeah. :-)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GORDON posted:

I'm actually more looking forward to seeing the look on my kid's face, than meeting Devin.

It'll be super cool to shake Devin's hand and thank him for all the amazing music... but... yeah. :-)

You should tell Devin this, he'll love it

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

GORDON posted:

Enjoy, I saw him end of last year and it was an amazing show.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mike Portnoy plays an amusing and heartfelt tribute to Neil Peart: https://www.musicradar.com/news/mike-portnoy-smashes-rush-classics-on-a-tiny-kids-kit-literally

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
lmfaoooo he's wearing a Dekkar shirt

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I just... I... But WHY? https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3604947/emerson-lake-palmer-song-karn-evil-9-turned-sci-fi-feature-film/

Is it because 2/3rds of the band are dead now?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They did tell you that the show never ends.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Greg Lake promised us that he'd be there, he'd be there, he would be there, but now it's happening is he anywhere to be found? No.

I begin to wonder whether warnings borne on the air are even to be trusted.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I for one think this is a pretty rad idea and I hope it's as over the top and stupid as possible

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We know we’ll get our money’s worth.

My dad and I will be there with bells on (some kinda prog costume worn mostly to embarrass him).

If they don’t employ dedicated ushers to tell us: “come inside, come inside!” they are missing a trick.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I'm looking forward to seeing the gypsy queen, in a glaze of vaseline, perform on guillotine. What a scene! What a scene!

For real, I have loved ELP since I was a very little kid and the New England Aquarium used to use their version of Hoedown at the beginning of their live sea lion show. It was much later that I made the association that this was the same band responsible for the version of Fanfare for the Common Man that opened ABC Sports every week. My fandom was pretty much cemented the year my dad took me to watch 4th of July fireworks and we stayed in his truck while he played ELP's Best Of tape. In high school, my dad and I finally got to see them live on their Black Moon tour and it was easily the loudest concert I've ever attended.

That said, I never had ANY idea there was an attempt to make a coherent narrative out of Karn Evil 9. Like most of ELP's original work, the lyrics to the first two parts come off as gibberish where finding a rhyme is more important than making sense. The 3rd part sounds like some space adventure borrowing Dr. Who sound effects. I guess I'll watch this out of morbid curiosity but I am very confused as to what they're going to do with it. Of course, it'll all be redeemed if the soundtrack is nothing but 70's prog...

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Stryder posted:

it'll all be redeemed if the soundtrack is nothing but 70's prog...

I don’t want to think of a possible world where it might not be.

My dad and I caught the band Carl Palmer is currently playing with last year and they were really something. I can’t imagine how good they must have been back in the day.

While we’re all waiting for this hopefully-prog film, I remembered this very aptly named artistic genius, Nathaniel Barlam, who started making animated videos for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and I just found out that he has now completed his work! https://youtu.be/JszTrQdL314

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Palmer is the one part of that trio whose chops actually held up over time, the current band he's touring with is great, see 'em if you get a chance

sadly I was too young to ever see them live but my Mom did in 1998 or so and said they were "just as good as they were in the day" which, if you listen to any of their 90s live recordings is uh...clearly not true

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Then there were the fucks who goaded Keith Emerson into killing himself, re:'chops'.

Those guys can kindly suckstart a Mossberg.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Very interesting tour alert: Primus will be playing all of A Farewell to Kings plus a set of their own material. Openers on every date are some combination of Wolfmother, The Sword and Battles.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/primus-rush-tribute-to-kings-tour-les-claypool-interview-953590/

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

Very interesting tour alert: Primus will be playing all of A Farewell to Kings plus a set of their own material. Openers on every date are some combination of Wolfmother, The Sword and Battles.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/primus-rush-tribute-to-kings-tour-les-claypool-interview-953590/

If these guys do a world tour I’m there! As if I need any more encouragement to wear my Farewell to Kings shirt.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

That's pretty cool. Imagine making movies out of all the classic prog rock epics? Who'll direct Close to the Edge? Supper's Ready? A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers? Stanley Kubrick already inadvertently directed Echoes.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

I got super exciting reading the interview, then saw that I'd have to sit through Wolfmother to get to Primus... :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Stryder posted:

I got super exciting reading the interview, then saw that I'd have to sit through Wolfmother to get to Primus... :(

Are you aware that you can show up late to concerts?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Stryder posted:

Mike Patton account spotted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDvJTxZDbA

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

And not get my money's worth!? :D

But yes, every time I hear the name Wolfmother, I think about that Mike Patton video.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Not if you have pit tickets.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Now I badly want a Primus'd version of 2112's first side.

I RIDE ATOP A BEAVER BROWN
AN ORACLE SAYS "QUIT IT, CLOWN"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Collins, Rutherford and Banks announce fall reunion tour of UK

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/04/prog-rock-stars-genesis-to-announce-reunion

meh

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yeah I saw that. I’d be interested if Hackett and/or Gabriel were joining them. If it’s not too expensive I might go anyway :shrug:

Edit: heh heh that’s a no then

Doctor Eckhart fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 4, 2020

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
It's only a UK tour so that's out for me. Still I'm glad they're still doing things together. I'd be interested to see their setlist. I'm really hoping they do a full reunion with Hackett and Gabriel before one of them dies, but that seems less and less likely with each passing year.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0BD5KGuZ1M

Green Carnation have a new song after 16? years of no new music. It's decent.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Hackett is touring all this year and Gabriel...I mean yeah, I know he just did that tour with Sting, but what's he gonna do here? 90% of their setlist is gonna be stuff he wasn't on and he's not gonna take vocals away from Collins, who is wheelchair bound and can't do much of anything....why are they doing this again???

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Gianthogweed posted:

It's only a UK tour so that's out for me. Still I'm glad they're still doing things together. I'd be interested to see their setlist. I'm really hoping they do a full reunion with Hackett and Gabriel before one of them dies, but that seems less and less likely with each passing year.

Get ready for two exciting hours of non-stop Abacab and Invisible Touch.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

XBenedict posted:

Get ready for two exciting hours of non-stop Abacab and Invisible Touch.

The albums or just the two songs?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

Hackett is touring all this year and Gabriel...I mean yeah, I know he just did that tour with Sting, but what's he gonna do here? 90% of their setlist is gonna be stuff he wasn't on and he's not gonna take vocals away from Collins, who is wheelchair bound and can't do much of anything....why are they doing this again???

goddamn that's depressing.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I thought Collins was close to death when he did that solo tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Is Collins still wheelchair bound? Strange that they would still go through with this when he's obviously still very sick. Is it permanent? Regardless, I always thought if they were ever going to do another tour with Gabriel, the two of them could just sing together and take turns with the lead. Most of the old Genesis songs have both of them singing together anyway. They can just re-arrange the songs a bit to do more of that (ie Carpet Crawlers 99). And maybe they'll write a new song or two just for that sort of thing.

But I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen. At best we'll get a show where Gabriel/Hackett show up for a song or two and that's it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 5, 2020