Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It probably won't be a long wait between episodes/sequels/whatever. They already did the majority of the heavy lifting making the first part.

You might think that, but the next part will be on the next generation. Highly unlikely the engine carries over 100%, or that they won't be pressured to make upgrades to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m guessing it’ll be two years between games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's just UE4, it should scale up to PS5 pretty easily.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ethiser posted:

You are extremely optimistic. If it's 3 I think that would be a pleasant surprise. I expect 4 and wouldn't be surprised at 5.

edit: don't forget part 2 will have the actual overworld to deal with. There probably won't be many shared assets with Midgar.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

FF7R runs on Unreal 4, it's gonna carry them a pretty long way.

e:fb

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Nail Rat posted:

You might think that, but the next part will be on the next generation. Highly unlikely the engine carries over 100%, or that they won't be pressured to make upgrades to it.

Seems like they’re already moving over to the next gen

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-to-be-playable-on-ps5-squar/1100-6467804/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ethiser posted:

you mean parts of ff7r?

Now that they've got the engine and core assets I bet it'll be a year to two years yeah, also depending upon how many parts they do and how big they are

Nail Rat posted:

You are extremely optimistic. If it's 3 I think that would be a pleasant surprise. I expect 4 and wouldn't be surprised at 5.

edit: don't forget part 2 will have the actual overworld to deal with. There probably won't be many shared assets with Midgar.

are we talking about like FF8 remaster for 5 years here? There's no way part 2 will be 5 years from now lmao.

3 max, but that would be a failure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The lengths people are going to to pretend that they suddenly have no concept of how videogame sequels work is astounding.

Not sure what you mean but carrying over your items and stuff between rpgs has been done before.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Nail Rat posted:

Ugh I don't want to have to buy a PS5 to finish this. Guess I'm not getting this after all.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Panderfringe posted:

Ugh I don't want to have to buy a PS5 to finish this. Guess I'm not getting this after all.

Just buy a ps5 and play the whole lot on that :shrug:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

If they actually do a full overworld, instead of something like connected areas, maybe with some bigger areas to wander around in, I will be amazed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm definitely going to wait the 6 years or so for the full package to be complete before buying this

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I would love to see a giant Cloud stomping about an overworld with these new graphics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kiryu smokes so I don't see why Cid can't

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
SE have already stated that the second part is under development, but I’m curious for how long. It’s SE, so I’m definitely not expecting this, but it would be a nice surprise to have the next part sooner than expected. Like perhaps a PS5 launch title.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

HD DAD posted:

SE have already stated that the second part is under development, but I’m curious for how long. It’s SE, so I’m definitely not expecting this, but it would be a nice surprise to have the next part sooner than expected. Like perhaps a PS5 launch title.

The next FF7 Remake game will not be done this year when they already had to delay this one for a month to finish it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

My hope is they finish part 2 at the bottom of the Northern Crater, with Sephiroth summoning Meteor. I don't like the idea of Aerith's Big Moment (thinking of the existence of the name Lilith made me suddenly okay with her name). You need time at the moment to live with the feelings of that - the twist down in the crater is much better to end in, and gives a way more natural start point for the final part of Yoga waking up in Junon. I think three games makes sense.

But hey, the Hobbit as two movies might have been good but here we are.

Edit: they didn't push it out for a month to finish it, they did it for financial reporting reasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ethiser posted:

That would be nice but I think Square has completely forgotten how to deliver their in-house projects on-time and on-budget.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing you'll be able to choose to start future parts with either imported save data or a generic pre-leveled party. The difficulty descriptions will also reflect this: easy will be balanced for generic parties and act like the player is new, normal will be balanced for preexisting ones and assume you know what you're doing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I seriously doubt that you won't be able to transfer saves between games, unless they do the incredibly stupid thing of making each game totally different from the others

Though I'm also wondering how mid to late game encounters will work, given that enemies appear on the actual map you're exploring and later on you're supposed to be fighting huge dragons and poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

According to Eurogamer there are some (limited) dialogue options in the remake so I wonder if certain choices will carry over between chapters.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

precision posted:

Though I'm also wondering how mid to late game encounters will work, given that enemies appear on the actual map you're exploring and later on you're supposed to be fighting huge dragons and poo poo

XV had plenty of huge endgame monsters just sitting there in the open world

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1234961862204116992

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Panderfringe posted:

PS5 is backwards compatible, and SE have already said they will be making PS4 games for a long time because of this.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

According to Eurogamer there are some (limited) dialogue options in the remake so I wonder if certain choices will carry over between chapters.

I wonder how the Barret date will look in 3D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think about this every day of my life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is clearly a Digital Devil Saga situation.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is clearly a Digital Devil Saga situation.

I can’t believe all the characters die in the last game and the last dungeon is them inside the Lifestream trying to convince the Planet to save everyone. Wait, that’s just Aerith’s side of the story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daa1XPO0vRU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadget posted:

PS5 is backwards compatible, and SE have already said they will be making PS4 games for a long time because of this.

I hope so. I'm way too poor to get a PS5 anywhere close to its launch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't notice while playing the demo but the remade boss theme is really weak. It doesn't have any of the punch of the original.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

stev posted:

I didn't notice while playing the demo but the remade boss theme is really weak. It doesn't have any of the punch of the original.

Bosses all, or mostly, seem to have their own variation of the boss theme. Although I don't agree with you at all, the Airbuster boss theme is way "punchier"

https://youtu.be/m3bgsfU5TwU starts at 2 minutes

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Scorpion boss has its own theme this time around. That's entirely separate from the actual boss theme, of which there are 3 on the part 1 soundtrack alone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Macaluso posted:

Man I have the opposite situation when I replay FF7, because I know ahead of time that she's forced into your party for the Temple of the Ancients, and when I played originally she was not anywhere as strong as the other two. So the demon wall hosed me UP and when I replay it I make sure she's properly leveled and can handle that part.

Same. I think my original save only had Healing Wind while I always got her to Great Gospel ever subsequent time.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Can't wait to find the last paradise poster in Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 4 (2038)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eraflure posted:

Can't wait to find the last paradise poster in Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 4 (2038)

man that quest was dumb as hell, which also made it great

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wonder what the scaling for magic would be between games. you're going to start up Part 2 and have Flare? no way

maybe Part 2 begins in media res with Sephiroth and Cloud on the way to Nibelheim in the truck and then after Yuffie steals your materia and immediately sells it all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wutai is going to be odd, since it's completely optional (and located on the rear end-end of nowhere with no decent reason to visit) yet includes a ton of content

the remake's likely going to give it a far more significant role in general if crisis core is any indication

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as Compilation material references go, there's mainly Before Crisis and Crisis Core to draw from (they can do some cheeky references to the others, but by and large they all take place after FF7). Before Crisis: Avalanche's attempt on President Shinra's life was at the beginning of that game (it turned out to be a diversion), and most of the story has to do with the Turks' history and pre-Barret Avalanche. Might inform some background details on Rufus, Heidegger, and the Turks. Maybe a cameo from Cissnei, even. Crisis Core is more about Zack's journey - might be referenced in Wutai and flashbacks. A non-zero chance of Angeal and Genesis namedrops if not appearances. The most Dirge of Cerberus is going to be able to contribute is maybe details about Vincent and some kind of Deepground presence.

Comedy option of the Mobius tie-ins bringing Wol and Echo into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I wonder what the scaling for magic would be between games. you're going to start up Part 2 and have Flare? no way

In this game it’s Fire I, Fire II and Fire III. Next game it is Fira, next game after that it’s Firaga, then Firaja and if there is a fifth game every spell is just Knights of the Round.