Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

TheHan posted:

This page is actually fine, look at all the actions conveyed in one page! The story’s moved 5x faster than it has the last two months.

did he just copy/paste snouts body between panel 2 and 4 or is that just me? panel 3 seems like the same pose too, but the leg angle looks different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Is that a Kilroy Was Here reference? That's almost funny.

I liked it. Much better than his usual gags.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

egg tats posted:

did he just copy/paste snouts body between panel 2 and 4 or is that just me? panel 3 seems like the same pose too, but the leg angle looks different

He clearly didn't but it's an identical pose from pretty much the same angle so it looks kinda like that at a glance. Feels like he used the exact same reference when drawing them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Lol, reference. Since Mookie just jumps right in and draws these characters fully formed he probably only has the muscle memory for one walking pose.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is inkwitches dress getting shorter?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

RandomPauI posted:

Yes, it fluctuates every time he draws her. So does the size of her hat (especially from panel 1 to 2) and whether she carries a paintbrush or broom.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm pretty sure those are trees. The fact it's not clear is another indictment of his inability to draw.

I said "lighter", I mean the ones that were unshaded altogether.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RandomPauI posted:

The real Mookie thing is bust sizes increasing dramatically when the woman causes or is subjected to violence.
There was one fairly infamous bit from the Mild Edge where the mongrelwoman Bort has the hots for went from like a C cup to an F cup since she was busy eviscerating people.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The real Mookie thing is bust sizes increasing dramatically when the woman causes or is subjected to violence.
There was one fairly infamous bit from the Mild Edge where the mongrelwoman Bort has the hots for went from like a C cup to an F cup since she was busy eviscerating people.

That's part of her mongrelfolk physiology: her body absorbs blood and it makes her tits huge like a dinosaur sponge.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

this might just be a side effect of bad art

I know when I draw people doing anything but standing at a slight angle from a straightforward perspective all the proportions go cray cray

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Thanks for the assist, Globglogabgalab

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

why wouldn't he write "where is the library or bookstore"

why bother with the dialogue-less conceit if it doesn't matter

why bother

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I am the fantasy plastic garbage bag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why do these people know what diacritics are, but not how to spell "book"?

Edit: It's not even like they spell phonetically, that would be 'buk'. And the Mongreltown sign wasn't written like this. ...why do I expect any kind of logic from this stupid comic?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 6, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im pubes

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The reader, Snout, and Mookie all know what Snout was talking about, therefore every other character does because they have no actual presence.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

why wouldn't he write "where is the library or bookstore"

why bother with the dialogue-less conceit if it doesn't matter

why bother

I'll do you one better: if the bookstore has a sign on the front of it saying "buuk stor," why does he need any dialogue to anyone? He could just read the sign.

PMush Perfect posted:

Why do these people know what diacritics are, but not how to spell "book"?

Edit: It's not even like they spell phonetically, that would be 'buk'. And the Mongreltown sign wasn't written like this. ...why do I expect any kind of logic from this stupid comic?
Because Mookie is stupid and it's hard to misspell 4 letter words.

Mongreltown wasn't like this because Mookie couldn't figure out how to run it through the chik fil a filter but still have it be intelligible.

If people in Mongreltown are illiterate, the bookstore (well, it wouldn't exist) but it'd have a sign with a picture of a book on it like a medieval tavern, not writing. And look at that, that's closer to being dialogue free.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The reader, Snout, and Mookie all know what Snout was talking about, therefore every other character does because they have no actual presence.

Regardless of the question, this is always the answer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ink Witch's dress is just a stretched out t-shirt at this point. She's ready for a lazy Saturday and she's got some shows to catch up on on Inkflix.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, at least the other mongrel-person actually looks like some kind of proper horrific monstrosity.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know what's really bothering me?

Mongreltown. Mookie thinks he's showing them to be just weird looking people...but, like, they're being shown to be mental inferiors fairly consistently. Snout is the only one ever shown in the entire comic run who can spell. The misspellings are fuckin' chronic, what was once a joke about Bort is now just...all Mongrelfolk. They have a city, but they're apparently so dumb as to have only one bookstore at all, and that one is in horrible condition and badly maintained and misspelled because...Mongrelfolk are all primitive, uncivilized idiots who are as dumb as they are ugly???

Like, yeah, uncomfortable racist overtones are endemic to D&D-based fantasy, and I could write an entire essay on the awful, awful legacy of Gary loving Gygax and his racism to talk about why, but this is just...it's incredibly uncomfortable and bad! It's so bad! Why are you putting an entire species of people who are a joke about developmental disability? It sucked when Dragonlance did this in the 80s and 90s! It sucks worse in 2020!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw the book store sign and went "why the gently caress is it back to Bort-level misspelling when Snout writes in perfectly serviceable English (DESPITE LIVING ALONE). Which reminds me that Bort's wild edge library appears to exist to service one loving customer.

And didn't have the loving book Snout wanted, even though by all accounts Bort would have everything Deegan-related in his personal memorial library. This library attendent is aware of other libraries existing where the book could be, but apparently has no mechanism to get the book via inter-library communication and transport.

Argh, having plot again is reminding me of all the dumb shittiness of the plot.

I at least prefer it to the weeks of loving nothing happening.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It would make sense if it was set up that in the 200 years or whatever it's been their poor understanding of proper common tongue developed into its own dialect, but then why does Snout write 'normally' and why would the rando understand the note?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

You know what's really bothering me?

Mongreltown. Mookie thinks he's showing them to be just weird looking people...but, like, they're being shown to be mental inferiors fairly consistently. Snout is the only one ever shown in the entire comic run who can spell. The misspellings are fuckin' chronic, what was once a joke about Bort is now just...all Mongrelfolk. They have a city, but they're apparently so dumb as to have only one bookstore at all, and that one is in horrible condition and badly maintained and misspelled because...Mongrelfolk are all primitive, uncivilized idiots who are as dumb as they are ugly???

Like, yeah, uncomfortable racist overtones are endemic to D&D-based fantasy, and I could write an entire essay on the awful, awful legacy of Gary loving Gygax and his racism to talk about why, but this is just...it's incredibly uncomfortable and bad! It's so bad! Why are you putting an entire species of people who are a joke about developmental disability? It sucked when Dragonlance did this in the 80s and 90s! It sucks worse in 2020!

DD started out in a rural hick town where everyone but Dominic was incredibly stupid and alternated between calling him a nerd and needing his help for literally everything. When he moved out he rained burning books on them. Every non-human race in DD was basically a noble savage archetype.

Pretty sure the reason Mongreltown is treated like this here is just because now they're the current "default" race that his protagonist has to be shown to be better and smarter than the rest of them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While fair, from the early introduction of Bort, SA threads correctly identified it played into disability stereotypes to make the Mongrelfolk (quite literally genetic freakshows) illiterate and borderline mentally handicapped.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Zerilan posted:

DD started out in a rural hick town where everyone but Dominic was incredibly stupid and alternated between calling him a nerd and needing his help for literally everything. When he moved out he rained burning books on them. Every non-human race in DD was basically a noble savage archetype.

Pretty sure the reason Mongreltown is treated like this here is just because now they're the current "default" race that his protagonist has to be shown to be better and smarter than the rest of them.

Right, but this isn't "dumb jocks don't read fantasy like I do", this is Snout meeting his people for the first time, and they're like Eloi in the time machine. The joke with a disused book store with illiterate spelling is "lol, they think they're people"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And yet the open-air library where he appeared to be the only patron was well-stocked and orderly. Which seems like it just was because Mookie thought that was funny, but now how well stocked a library/bookstore is is a major plot point, so it can't really be ignored.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't this Snout's first real interaction with a community of his own people? Shouldn't that be some cause for wonder or celebration instead of just straight to WHERE'S KING DEEGAN?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thing is we don't know. We don't know why he lived where he did. We don't know if he was born there and his parents are dead, or live elsewhere now. If they're dead where are their graves? We don't know if he was exiled. We don't know if he SELF-exiled because his deaf and muteness made it impossible to live wherever he previously did. If he did move to where he did, where from? Is there a second Mongreltown? Is this Mongreltown his original hometown? If so why did he struggle to find it?

All we really know about Snout is HE IS DEAF and he really wants to know who Dominic Deegan is. And he dreamt about ink witch tiddy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, he's filthy. We know this. Mookie probably doesn't, but seriously, dude is a hairy rear end in a top hat who sleeps naked on dirt, has only one set of clothing and does not appear to bathe or indeed have any kind of personal hygiene regimen whatsoever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Little Death posted:

Right, but this isn't "dumb jocks don't read fantasy like I do", this is Snout meeting his people for the first time, and they're like Eloi in the time machine. The joke with a disused book store with illiterate spelling is "lol, they think they're people"

Yeah, but Mookie's weird biases like that infest every element of his work, even when it's not intentionally blatant like at the start of DD.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I assumed he was a hermit by choice or exile due to the combination of being mongrel and deaf, but it turns out that mongrelfolk are common enough to have a giant community, and he's SUPER excited when he discovers it exists, and got real excited when he met that orc, so he's not shy (except when he is with the ink witch for 2 seconds), so... I guess he was just born out in the mild edge and has never known anyone except the guy who runs that library? Maybe?

I'm all for exploring someone's backstory in an organic way, but we just have nothing about Snout.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I assumed he was a hermit by choice or exile due to the combination of being mongrel and deaf, but it turns out that mongrelfolk are common enough to have a giant community, and he's SUPER excited when he discovers it exists, and got real excited when he met that orc, so he's not shy (except when he is with the ink witch for 2 seconds), so... I guess he was just born out in the mild edge and has never known anyone except the guy who runs that library? Maybe?

I'm all for exploring someone's backstory in an organic way, but we just have nothing about Snout.

His mother and father ran away before he was born, clearly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

but apparently has no mechanism to get the book via inter-library communication and transport.

Easiest assumption to make is that Mookie has never actually been to a library and doesn't know inter-library loans are a thing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The mongrelfolk have always had undertones in Deegan I feel. When Dominic meets Bort he starts acting like the first white guy to touch down in South Africa and when Stunt tells him to stop treating him like he’s the catch of the day Bort violently attacks Stunt. I don’t think this is going down the route of Snout being the one learned mongrel but it wouldn’t be surprising.

Edit: But I am willing to bet it all on a “people these days don’t appreciate books” moral.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

If people in Mongreltown are illiterate, the bookstore (well, it wouldn't exist) but it'd have a sign with a picture of a book on it like a medieval tavern, not writing. And look at that, that's closer to being dialogue free.

No, it's actually quite genius. Every other sign in the town is like that but the buuk stor doesn't have a pictogram because it doesn't need one. The illiterate townsfolk just know "ah this sign has writing on it, therefore I can find writing in this store" :eng101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'll give Mookie a little credit if Buuk Stor is the name and the intentional misspelling is the same reason the store is doing so poorly: because it's owned by a fantasy racist.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There is no way Mookie is that clever

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Buuk Stōr is actually the owner's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok I have to ask: Is the reason Snout has been getting the runaround that he always has his entire bush on display?