Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also parents house! Somebody tried to break into the garage not too long after but we had heavy shelving across that door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Did we sell the same car to the same guy?

I was later contacted by the police asking if the car was stolen because the galaxy brains that bought it swapped some other plates onto it rather than actually register it.

That’s a paddlin’

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yikes, hopefully not!

Although I did used to live in the town he drove back to, and I know he made it back there eventually, because my ex texted me out of the blue asking me if I was in town because she saw my car :laugh:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just saw some Oil Baron’s Ferrari F8 being offloaded from an A380 at Melbourne airport. Left hand drive, and not wrapped up so I’m guessing it’s not here to be sold.

Imagine the excess baggage fees!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

MS6 is up for sale. Makes me a little sad to even post the ad.

There are days that I miss mine. I remember googling the VIN a couple years back and found salvage yard pictures of it. The thing had been rolled.

Went ahead and :google:d since nothing on the internet ever dies

quote:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
DAMAGE TYPE: ROLLOVER; BIO HAZARD
LOSS TYPE: COLLISION
ENGINE: L4, 2.3L; TURBO
BODY STYLE: 4 DOOR SEDAN
DRIVE: AWD
FUEL: GASOLINE
START INFO: DIDN T TEST

:randstare:

For reference:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

They did an inspection, it's not my fault they were dummies.

Exactly!

quote:

MS6 is up for sale. Makes me a little sad to even post the ad.

I keep delaying putting up our Kia for sale, because it's actually a handy little reasonably fuel-efficient hatchback. And reasonably fun to drive since it'a a manual. Way easier to park than my Crown Vic...
I also haven't put the AE86 up yet because I'm not prepared to deal with the ascended level of dickery associated with Otaku cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are days that I miss mine. I remember googling the VIN a couple years back and found salvage yard pictures of it. The thing had been rolled.

I keep checking the VIN of my old MS3 once in a while, but nothing comes up any newer than what happened right after I traded it - dealer turfed it to auction, ended up at a small lot in Utah for $11k.

I sincerely hope nobody paid that much for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

A couple from the extended March thread:

Kind of want to see that.
There's a second-gen one being done in the US, of all places: https://www.facebook.com/TheAutomotiveObsession/posts/fc-rx7-barra-swap-in-progress-in-america/2533161710105728/
Then there's this one with juuuuuust a little set-back: https://www.facebook.com/Mdsfab/posts/3172272316133060?hc_location=ufi&comment_id=Y29tbWVudDoyNTMzMTYxNzEwMTA1NzI4XzI1MzY5ODMxNzMwNTY5MTU%3D
Not finding the first gen with a casual search.

Correction - it's a Barra in a 2nd Gen. Dunno why I got the impression it was 1st gen

https://www.facebook.com/forcedinductionpros

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

About three months after I bought my last car I texted the seller to ask a question, and he just responded with "sorry wrong number". Hehe. Probably the right choice.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Darchangel posted:

All the scalpers and resale services that encourage this bullshit can eat my entire rear end.
Real fans either end up with poo poo seats or paying out the wazoo so some random jerkoff can profit. As if the ticket prices (and bullshit fees) weren't enough.

Someone was trying to argue that all these bands are setting prices too low if there's a market for reselling the tickets, and they should let tHe mArKeT solve everything, but appreciate they're not making every ticket $400. Ticket Master is doing anything to help as they make it really easy to resell the tickets, which I guess is nice if something comes up, but they also take a huge cut of that too. gently caress Ticket Master.

The Prong Song posted:

Just for shits and grins I went to Mountain House (popular supplier of freeze-dried, pre-prepared food for campers and backpackers); they are sold out on their website, sold out on Amazon, big-name online resellers are sold out, and even local stores (I live in NC), which online presences list status as being sold out. WTF?

I just bought some more Mountain House off of Amazon nine days ago, arrived with prime right away, but now all I see are freeze dried mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches available. I guess I ordered just in time.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ticketmaster doesn't set the prices, the artists do, Ticketmaster doesn't own the tickets, the artists/and promoter do. This is not a theory, it's how it works.

Imagine any other retail operation selling you their merchandise at cost without any need to cover their overhead, and imagine any other retail operation having the ability to supercede the laws of supply and demand. These are things that do not happen in retail. But music lovers get extra excited about the thing they want to buy so this is the attitude that results.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ticketmaster doesn't set the prices, the artists do, Ticketmaster doesn't own the tickets, the artists/and promoter do. This is not a theory, it's how it works.

Imagine any other retail operation selling you their merchandise at cost without any need to cover their overhead, and imagine any other retail operation having the ability to supercede the laws of supply and demand. These are things that do not happen in retail. But music lovers get extra excited about the thing they want to buy so this is the attitude that results.

Nope. I've bought tickets to shows for a long, long, time. There was a fundamental shift in the pricing structure when ticketmaster enlarged its online presence, and the tacking on of "convenience" charges and fees out the rear end just sours me to the whole experience. Neverminding their whole "facilitating a secondary market," which just means that they are profiting multiple times on the same ticket.

Which makes today's ticket buy surprisingly nice. Fairly large "indie" band has a lead singer that's doing a solo tour. Very few stops and one of them is about an hour and a half from me. Checked with my wife and we agree to go. I pick 2 General Admission tickets for $35 and I'm figuring it's going to be $100 or so in total after all the bullshit. Nope, bottom line was $70. ZERO fees, ZERO convenience charge, ZERO taxes... wow. I mean $70 for 2 people to stand and listen to music isn't cheap, but I appreciate it just being a straight price upfront.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My TM service charge + order processing fee was $128.07 total for two tickets, that is absurd no matter how you cut it.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Which is why I was talking about the bands being nice and pricing them lower than they could.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

Nope. I've bought tickets to shows for a long, long, time. There was a fundamental shift in the pricing structure when ticketmaster enlarged its online presence, and the tacking on of "convenience" charges and fees out the rear end just sours me to the whole experience. Neverminding their whole "facilitating a secondary market," which just means that they are profiting multiple times on the same ticket.

Which makes today's ticket buy surprisingly nice. Fairly large "indie" band has a lead singer that's doing a solo tour. Very few stops and one of them is about an hour and a half from me. Checked with my wife and we agree to go. I pick 2 General Admission tickets for $35 and I'm figuring it's going to be $100 or so in total after all the bullshit. Nope, bottom line was $70. ZERO fees, ZERO convenience charge, ZERO taxes... wow. I mean $70 for 2 people to stand and listen to music isn't cheap, but I appreciate it just being a straight price upfront.

Ticketing fees suck.

I go to a lot of gigs (mainly smaller rock/metal ones). When buying paper tickets over here you generally get a booking fee and a shipping fee.

Most places now offer e-tickets instead and some of the bastards have now started charging a 'print at home' fee that replaces the shipping fee.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TM blows chunks, but luckily even though I go to a ton of shows I very rarely have to deal with them. Philly has a bunch of smaller venues and they have relatively reasonable fees, usually no more than $5 per ticket which I'll gladly eat compared to driving 45 minutes into town just to buy tickets.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look, I'm not here to defend Ticketmaster's policy of being a for-profit business.

I just know for a 100% absolute fact that artists set the prices. Congrats on your indie ticket purchase having no fees though, sounds like it's not all bad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cars I've sold intact:
96 Cherokee. I literally signed the title over and handed it to Rausch Creek ORP after pulling everything I wanted off it. Unsurprisingly they never called me complaining about its condition. The next summer I broke my steering on my MJ and they tried to sell me parts off my own Jeep that I gave them for free, though. That rankled a bit, so I borrowed parts for a few hours and bought stuff at a local junkyard instead.

01 Dodge 2500 van. Got 500 for it when scrap was high. Guy put it straight in the crusher. Good loving riddance.

01 Forester that I drove into a guardrail after falling asleep at the wheel. Got 225 for it (was only asking the same price the yard would give me, it was a shitheap and totalled), went to a crew of cool RPI students who ran it in the same Gambler 500 I ran the MJ in. They loved it, I hated that car so I'm glad they had fun with it. It got impounded and probably crushed that summer sadly. They already want to buy my current pile of poo poo Forester and I'm not even done with it. I'll probably ask 500 this time since I'll be including like 450 worth of brand new spare parts and 3-400 worth of used ones just so I don't have to deal with selling them on CL or being tempted to buy another Forester to use them up.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Tomarse posted:

Shitheap cars, yeah - I want them out of my life but I loved this one and I'm overly sentimental about it the car as I have owned it for 16 years.

The trick is to harden your heart as some rear end in a top hat or rear end in a top hat circumstance is going to ruin it for you anyway

Not that I’m jaded or anything

:/

E: Jesus I doubt I can even enumerate all the cars I have sold.... ‘89 Legend, ‘01 Accord coupe V6, ‘91 Civic wagon, ‘06 xA, ‘91 Bronco, ‘07 Xterra, ‘08 MS3, ‘09 G8 GXP, ‘08 Trollblazer, ‘96 4Runner, ‘10 GL550, ‘97 LX450, ‘11 X5M, ‘12 CTS-V wagon, ‘01 Land Cruiser, ‘96 Bronco, ‘05 E55, ‘91 RT4WD, ‘88 325, ‘94 525i, ‘03 Suburban 2500, and I feel like I’m missing a lot and that’s not counting all the cars that have been destroyed/totaled

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 5, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

Which is why I was talking about the bands being nice and pricing them lower than they could.
Pearl Jam's latest tour has a situation in place where you cannot resell the tickets for more than either a 10% or a $10 markup and I think the most expensive ticket was $125.

I read an article about this on their fanclub website a few weeks ago when they were promoting the tour, which is why that little tidbit stuck with me. Kind of cool and seems to be a trend with bands doing verified fanclub things etc. with the idea of getting tickets into the hands of fans, not reseller/broker scum.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just watched Ford vs Ferrari on the plane and I though it was a pretty good film. Sure they take some dramatic license that I don’t necessarily agree with but overall well worth a watch.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elviscat posted:

I live 40 miles from where 9 people just died of confirmed COVID-19.

My local grocery store has, uh, slightly less bottled water tand rice then usual, no empty shelves to speak of.

Costco is having trouble keeping toilet paper in stock (we have shitloads at the not-Costco store I work at), but we can't keep the cheaper bulk water (24+ packs and 5 gallon jugs), hand sanitizer, bleach, rice, or canned black beans on the shelf. Campbell's Chunky soups are pretty much selling out every day; Progresso soups are selling too, but not as well. Doesn't help that we had a store coupon active for Campbell's before this poo poo.

(that's 4 empty pallet bays..)

I occasionally shop at a Safeway-owned competitor (Randall's/Tom Thumb for Texans) when I don't feel like going to work to shop (they're 1/4 mile from my apt vs a mile and a half); their shelves looked like a regular day when I went by tonight aside from their water aisle, and I know they don't restock during the day (we do). But their prices are also :10bux::10bux::10bux: higher than where I work (except on meat, they tend to be a little cheaper).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 5, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was in the middle of watching a TV series on Amazon Prime, and all of a sudden now I have to rent episodes for 99 cents or buy the entire season!

Amazon can eat a dick

Between this poo poo and their shopping experience being 90% Chinese knockoffs, I just flatly don't do business with Amazon anymore.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

STR posted:

Costco is having trouble keeping toilet paper in stock (we have shitloads at the not-Costco store I work at), but we can't keep the cheaper bulk water (24+ packs and 5 gallon jugs), hand sanitizer, bleach, rice, or canned black beans on the shelf. Campbell's Chunky soups are pretty much selling out every day; Progresso soups are selling too, but not as well. Doesn't help that we had a store coupon active for Campbell's before this poo poo.

My county sent out an alert saying dozens to hundreds of people are almost certainly infected, just not symptomatic yet (many people commute from here to where the outbreak started).

There are no supply shortages to speak of, although name brand bleach was looking a little thin at Lowe's today.

I picked up 20lbs of rice and ten of lentils to supplement the 7 day freeze dried food stash I have. I'll use it all eventually, water is not a concern since A) it's not gonna go out due to Coronavirus and B) I have a seasonal stream on the property that's currently running, and an old open-bore well I can use as a last resort, my roommate and I are avid backpackers so we have about half a dozen water purification methods at our disposal.

Honestly I'm more trying to get in the right mindset for the first wave of climate change induced famines, or a major earthquake than worried about Coronavirus induced shortages.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slothrop posted:

Just watched Ford vs Ferrari on the plane and I though it was a pretty good film. Sure they take some dramatic license that I don’t necessarily agree with but overall well worth a watch.

I liked it well enough but it was pretty predictable (even if you don't know the story lotttttta foreshadowing) and I feel like Leonardo DiCaprio would have been a better Shelby than Matt Damon, but that's only because Matt Damon is a terrible actor and looks like Matt Damon.

Still worth the watch.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Should I watch the 24 Hour War or Ford vs Ferrari first?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MomJeans420 posted:

Should I watch the 24 Hour War or Ford vs Ferrari first?

I don’t think it matters. Adam Carolla did a really good job on the 24h War. They are both entertaining and can coexist.

Season two of Formula 1 drive to survive is waiting for me to consume in one sitting :jerky:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

(that's 4 empty pallet bays..)

I occasionally shop at a Safeway-owned competitor (Randall's/Tom Thumb for Texans) when I don't feel like going to work to shop (they're 1/4 mile from my apt vs a mile and a half); their shelves looked like a regular day when I went by tonight aside from their water aisle, and I know they don't restock during the day (we do). But their prices are also :10bux::10bux::10bux: higher than where I work (except on meat, they tend to be a little cheaper).

What the gently caress? Who wants to be stuck at home eating rice and toilet paper when they're sick?
I'm stocking up on brisket, hotdogs, flour, sugar, eggs, and milk.

It's gonna be BBQ and cupcakes every day if I'm stuck in quarantine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My community was recently ROCKED by a massive tornado and there is absolutely nothing going on at grocery stores.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not seeing any kind of panic here even tho there have been confirmed cases in my county. Was in Publix today and it was business as usual.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KakerMix posted:

History is not going to be kind to white male conservatives and this whole ~era~ of just absolute garbage, one way or another.
As a straight white male that lives in a wealthy conservative area I'm constantly looked at like everyone's brother, son, or grandson. The insane off the deep end poo poo people confide in me because I look like them is loving wild. I don't need talking points or NPR or chem trails to make up my mind. Spend some time with true brain worm away-from-reality dead to rights pieces of poo poo white men on a golf course and you too will go 'holy gently caress burn all this down and start over, please.' Those dudes are terrified of Bernie Sanders

I know this is from last month, but it has really started to prove itself out in my company, to a spooky degree. We have "a girl" (a young latin woman with a bachelor's degree in applied arts) in the office now and it's astounding how much less political the office is now that we have an "other" among our once exclusively white male group

All I can say is thank you designer whose name I keep forgetting, you're a blessing unto us all and I pray that you're never exposed to the awful brain worms that I know are lurking around every corner

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Tremek posted:

Is it bad that I want to know as little as possible about the person buying my car and to never hear from them again

Over the last year I've sold some stuff and bought some stuff on FB, strangely most of these people I'm still in contact with and we chat at least once a week. Granted it's stuff to do with hobbys we have in common so handy people to bounce ideas off. Like I have a guy on the other side of the country who I bought some Laserdisks off who is picking up stuff I bought in Perth and shipping to me for free! Having contacts can be handy.

But generally I've found the buyers of my cars completely insufferable. I don't know why, but buying cars turns sends people stupid (well except for us fine folk in AI - we already ARE stupid)

EDIT: On virus craziness - my boss has counted all the toilet rolls in the supply closets.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Door Frame posted:

I know this is from last month, but it has really started to prove itself out in my company, to a spooky degree. We have "a girl" (a young latin woman with a bachelor's degree in applied arts) in the office now and it's astounding how much less political the office is now that we have an "other" among our once exclusively white male group

All I can say is thank you designer whose name I keep forgetting, you're a blessing unto us all and I pray that you're never exposed to the awful brain worms that I know are lurking around every corner

I don’t mean to be condescending, and I’m not preaching because goddam am I bad at names.

I often find myself in a spot where I’m spending a lot of mental/social effort just trying to find out someone’s name instead of engaging with them.

Learn her name and remember it.

I’m a better person when I focus on getting other people’s names in my brain. I can remember more about them when I have both a name and a face to assign that information to. I can remember a lot more when I can actually listen instead of low key freaking out about what their name is.

Again, sorry if I come off as condescending, that’s not my intention. Just sharing some experience

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That moment when a coworker (not a manager) shoots you a message.. on Facebook messenger.. at almost 1:15am, asking if you can come in and help.

I sent back a picture of a half-empty vodka bottle sitting on my desk. :downsgun:

I pulled up the schedule and the truck manifest, and yeah, they're proper hosed, but I'm not going to work after drinking. Especially when my job involves occasional use of forklifts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 5, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No guts no glory.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So far this week we've had 5 bottles of hand sanitiser stolen from the public areas at work. One of my jobs tomorrow is to work out a system to fix them down to the benches so they cant get nicked.

Its only a matter of time before people work out that our toilet rolls holders have one active roll and two spare rolls in them and they don't take a lot of effort to pop open. Tho they're going to be horribly disappointed with the single ply, 1500 sheet rolls that are the worst combination of tracing paper thickness and baking paper poo poo removal ability.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

So far this week we've had 5 bottles of hand sanitiser stolen from the public areas at work. One of my jobs tomorrow is to work out a system to fix them down to the benches so they cant get nicked.

Its only a matter of time before people work out that our toilet rolls holders have one active roll and two spare rolls in them and they don't take a lot of effort to pop open. Tho they're going to be horribly disappointed with the single ply, 1500 sheet rolls that are the worst combination of tracing paper thickness and baking paper poo poo removal ability.

Christ people are dumb and/or stupid

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Just want to chime in as a career Microbiologist, with a passing knowledge in Virology:

If you aren't over 75 or Immuo-supressed then you have literally nothing to worry about. Extremely low mortality rate (3.4% globally).

Your biggest concern should be the local, national and global supply chains breaking down.

Wash your hands for 20 seconds you filthy animals.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Anphear posted:

Just want to chime in as a career Microbiologist, with a passing knowledge in Virology:

If you aren't over 75 or Immuo-supressed then you have literally nothing to worry about. Extremely low mortality rate (3.4% globally).

Your biggest concern should be the local, national and global supply chains breaking down.

Wash your hands for 20 seconds you filthy animals.

Is it correctly understood that many, many of, let's say, deaths at 80+ are caused by the seasonal flu, pneumonia and the like (or the side effects of those.)?

So, at risk of sounding cynical, if Covid19 won't get this group, something else will, statistically speaking?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Cars I've sold intact:
928 was the most painful to sell as far as the experience. Was listed for around six months, tons of people said they wanted to see it only one ever showed up and he bought it. Porsche CCA president from NC or SC went through a whole PPI and having a friend come test drive it only to offer me 1/4 my asking price. Guy that bought it got a ticket for going 140mph or something on the drive home. He sends me an update every 6-9 months.

My first E30 that I gutted and turned into a track rat is still running laps. It's now fully caged and being rented in California for WRL/Champ/etc races. No idea how many engines they've gone through at this point but it's still turning laps which I think is really cool.

The VW I sold to a friend and old roommate for scrap value, $200. He's fixing the head gasket and selling it to a family from his church for his parts cost. I have a bunch of oil filters, manuals and spare parts I'm dropping off with him to include in the car. With minor maintenance and any luck they'll drive that thing to 500k miles or more.

Have met some cool people buying/selling cars but for the most part once money exchanges hands I don't want to hear from you again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slothrop posted:

I don’t mean to be condescending, and I’m not preaching because goddam am I bad at names.

I often find myself in a spot where I’m spending a lot of mental/social effort just trying to find out someone’s name instead of engaging with them.

Learn her name and remember it.

I’m a better person when I focus on getting other people’s names in my brain. I can remember more about them when I have both a name and a face to assign that information to. I can remember a lot more when I can actually listen instead of low key freaking out about what their name is.

Again, sorry if I come off as condescending, that’s not my intention. Just sharing some experience

I have legit face blindness, and I'm trying to get better about it, but it's not an easy thing. It's so hard to remember what faces I know, and even harder to remember the name that goes with the face. I meet people that I know all the time
It took me a week to learn the name of my boss, as in the man that I report to every morning and gives me work. I run into our new designer so infrequently that all I can remember is that she has dyed hair and a very unique sounding name that should stick out better in my head