Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know what? Here's a complaint I have about Tangled that doesn't involve spoilers: I get that it's kind of a pun on something to do with hair that could also be construed to be referring to the plot that they used for the movie because they thought that "Rapunzel" wasn't a catchy title on its own (and it was probably easier to copyright), but at no point does her hair ever really get tangled. In fact, it's impossibly smooth and straight, and she'll wrap her hair around a bunch of things at once and then just pull away without getting caught up in anything. It's got enough friction to act as a grappling hook, and yet it's impossibly lubricated. That's the real magic.

Like imagine if some villain just came at her with some gum, that should be apocalyptic. Hopefully Varian never invents any adhesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To be fair, show!Rapunzel's hair is explicitly indestructible; it's not hard to imagine innate protection against tangling and general wear and tear resulting as a convenient side effect of however that magic functions. Of course, the fact that this can be plausibly explained just raises more questions about movie!Rapunzel, whose hair is certainly not indestructible and really should look like hell after everything she puts it through, questions which might not have otherwise come to mind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How much indestructible hair would you need to knit a bulletproof sweatervest?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also she's barefoot all the time including when in a forest and when she jumps into a forest of bramble that should be certain death.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also she's barefoot all the time including when in a forest and when she jumps into a forest of bramble that should be certain death.

Her feet are severely calloused. She won't feel a thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rudoku posted:

Like a Hobbit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Callouses built up after living indoors her whole life.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The hair has healing powers if laid on something hurt. Maybe each hair is simply healing the neighboring hairs as damage occurs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also in the show it does get stuck sometimes, so it's not as effortless as it was in the movie. If her hair gets caught under rubble or something else heavy, she has trouble getting it clear.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm enjoying owl house to this point, but it's focus seems a bit all over the place. luz and amity are a fun pairing but the show doesn't seem all too concerned with the core plot of luz learning magic yet

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm enjoying owl house to this point, but it's focus seems a bit all over the place. luz and amity are a fun pairing but the show doesn't seem all too concerned with the core plot of luz learning magic yet

Yeah I've kind of noticed both of those issues. At this point we're more into the issues with Amity and Eda's curse than anything else and even those feel a little undercooked in some ways to me. Like I'm enjoying it all, but something kind of nags at me about the whole thing that I can't quite place.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I've kind of noticed both of those issues. At this point we're more into the issues with Amity and Eda's curse than anything else and even those feel a little undercooked in some ways to me. Like I'm enjoying it all, but something kind of nags at me about the whole thing that I can't quite place.

I think part of it is that the characters themselves don't seem to be to concerned about achieving their stated goals. If Luz is never shown to be actively learning magic and Eda doesn't even seem to care about breaking her curse, why should I care about those things?

The plot with Amity feels super rushed, given that we're seven episodes into the series and... three? four? of those have given focus to her character development. Even with the same number of episodes, it'd be a more compelling story if it were more spread out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fractalairduct posted:

The plot with Amity feels super rushed, given that we're seven episodes into the series and... three? four? of those have given focus to her character development. Even with the same number of episodes, it'd be a more compelling story if it were more spread out.
maybe they were expecting the same thing that happened to gravity falls would happen to them and the show would go on 4 month hiatuses after every episode

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

fractalairduct posted:

I think part of it is that the characters themselves don't seem to be to concerned about achieving their stated goals. If Luz is never shown to be actively learning magic and Eda doesn't even seem to care about breaking her curse, why should I care about those things?

I think that's definitely it. Granted Hooty's Moving Hassle did a bit of both in terms of Eda's Curse and Luz learning magic.

Another thing that nags me is Willow's line about her and Amity having been friends before and the sort of juxtapose with Amity now being with her new posse of sorts. It just feels incredibly obvious. Like it feels cliche where the new popular/rich/delinquent/cool friends you make are actually fake and only using you or some other thing and it's your old friends that are real and will stick by you. LWA actually did something really well on this with the side characters Hannah and Barbara towards Diana and I'm hoping for something similar. Like it was INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS that she was gonna be an important character the instant you saw her purely based on her design never mind her two episodes, but it sort of feels like they're rushing her character development a lot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I read that Amphibia season 2 is going to come way out in summer, and it's a shame because I was hoping it would be coming soon.

fractalairduct posted:

Although it seems like the show is still light on narrative for now, I think weirdly this is showing why so many cartoons try treading water for a while at first. It takes a while to establish characters before them having a turn actually means something.

There's kinda not much for me to grab onto, neither the comedy nor the drama is strong enough on its own, and they both are kinda working against each other instead of in tandem.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the Tangled finale. More serious post with my thoughts later.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Apparently Corona is in the middle of fantasy France. Who knew?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Apparently Corona is in the middle of fantasy France. Who knew?

That would put it somewhere near Cinderella's castle, I guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Madurai posted:

That would put it somewhere near Cinderella's castle, I guess.

Also wherever Beauty and the Beast takes place.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Well, Persinette is a French story, but Petrosinella, the earliest version of the Rapunzel story we have, is Italian. Kind of surprised they didn't go with that, since they've already got a couple of films set in France.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tangled Finale Thoughts: I liked that as Cassandra fell to the dark side through season 3 she was echoing Mother Gothel a lot, ("Just in case you get any ideas about escaping", "You want me to be the bad guy? Fine, now I'm the bad guy") but after Rapunzel got through to her she started quoting Eugene instead, like calling her "Blondie" instead of "Raps". She's taking pages out of her role models.

I also like the idea that Zantiri's weird goat form was something from the nether-realm transforming her as it seems she used to be human, so getting power taking her back to that form made sense. Catalina using her Wolf form to try to steal the stone from Zantiri's arm was also a clever move, shame it didn't quite work.

Also I loved the mega-Incantation at the end to revive everyone.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know what? Here's a complaint I have about Tangled that doesn't involve spoilers: I get that it's kind of a pun on something to do with hair that could also be construed to be referring to the plot that they used for the movie because they thought that "Rapunzel" wasn't a catchy title on its own (and it was probably easier to copyright), but at no point does her hair ever really get tangled. In fact, it's impossibly smooth and straight, and she'll wrap her hair around a bunch of things at once and then just pull away without getting caught up in anything. It's got enough friction to act as a grappling hook, and yet it's impossibly lubricated. That's the real magic.

Like imagine if some villain just came at her with some gum, that should be apocalyptic. Hopefully Varian never invents any adhesive.
Maybe

it's Maybeline

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It kinda left me wanting.

The whole thing with the phantom zone didn't really add much, and honestly if they didn't want the extended cast underfoot, they could've just left them behind or in reserve for the big battle. I liked that they gave Varian and Eugene some nice father moments, but it kinda makes it even more weird that Cassandra's father doesn't have a line and never really gets a chance to really confront Cass. Now he's just kinda unemployed. I sorta wanted to know more about Zantiri, but I guess the show didn't have the time to go much into that.

I think I'm most disappointed about Cass, since she only finally does her turn in the moment when she has no other choice and nothing to gain by maintaining her grudge. Almost makes it seem more pragmatic than emotional. It's also weird for her to just go off into the sunset, she never really seemed wistful for what the greater world could offer her. Before her turn all she really wanted to do was fight, and she was on track to being captain of the guard, I'm not sure what more this late medieval fantasy world would have to offer her. Maybe a hook for a continued story? What I was most disappointed with though was the fact that she didn't get another song, not even a line in some big final group number.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, I saw it more as self-exile, where she basically realized that nobody would really want her around after everything except for Rapunzel. I agree that it was a shame she didn't get another song, when even the other villains get an appearance in the final song, but it is what it is.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kinda left me wanting.

The whole thing with the phantom zone didn't really add much, and honestly if they didn't want the extended cast underfoot, they could've just left them behind or in reserve for the big battle. I liked that they gave Varian and Eugene some nice father moments, but it kinda makes it even more weird that Cassandra's father doesn't have a line and never really gets a chance to really confront Cass. Now he's just kinda unemployed. I sorta wanted to know more about Zantiri, but I guess the show didn't have the time to go much into that.

I think I'm most disappointed about Cass, since she only finally does her turn in the moment when she has no other choice and nothing to gain by maintaining her grudge. Almost makes it seem more pragmatic than emotional. It's also weird for her to just go off into the sunset, she never really seemed wistful for what the greater world could offer her. Before her turn all she really wanted to do was fight, and she was on track to being captain of the guard, I'm not sure what more this late medieval fantasy world would have to offer her. Maybe a hook for a continued story? What I was most disappointed with though was the fact that she didn't get another song, not even a line in some big final group number.

The real reason she wanders off is because she's not in the Tangled short that was made before the show, but set after it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

The real reason she wanders off is because she's not in the Tangled short that was made before the show, but set after it.

Yeah this. Even though that feels kinda cheap. Just retcon that instead. What's Lance's excuse for missing that?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yeah this. Even though that feels kinda cheap. Just retcon that instead. What's Lance's excuse for missing that?

He had to go play Genie on Broadway.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
And then take over as Jefferson in Hamilton

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Tangled finale was kind of a let down but honestly I think that they just mishandled Cass in general since her turn. Crossing the Line was a really triumphant song which put her into a ambiguous position that could have been interesting. But then she just bounced between being completely over-the-top evil and regular Cass at random. Even Raps pointed out that she had no real plan or motivation for what she was doing, it was just doing evil because she's evil now.

Also her and Rapunzel not getting a duet song-fight in the finale sucks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Youtube recommendations thought I'd be interested in Hungarian Folk Tales and you know what? I think I'm hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tXwFkowws Pinko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4P-tc13lk Starving Matthias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYe1mYVN6w Only Donkeys Don't Eat the Spoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6poQuiAPs0 The Lazy Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWtIvPDFElU Cerceruska :psyduck:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hungarian Folk Tales loving owns.

The whole eastern bloc has a really strong tradition of animated folklore, in fact. Separated from Disney hegemony, they could get away with being a little more raw. Take this one, for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03IrY6Kh8dk

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I watched ONE Hungarian folktale like two weeks ago and my youtube recommended feed has been almost nothing but Hungarian folktales since. Proceed with caution.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Youtube recommendations thought I'd be interested in Hungarian Folk Tales and you know what? I think I'm hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tXwFkowws Pinko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4P-tc13lk Starving Matthias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYe1mYVN6w Only Donkeys Don't Eat the Spoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6poQuiAPs0 The Lazy Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWtIvPDFElU Cerceruska :psyduck:

Oh whoa that's amazing.
The english voice sounds so familiar but maybe he's just generic midlands

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In other news this week's Owl House was really good. A few laugh out loud moments and I appreciated them not having Mae Whitman's character with the angry teens too so we can see she's different.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So now that the finale of Tangled has aired, and we had some time to digest the finale, what's everyone's favorite song from the show?

For me, it's a tossup between Nothing Left to Lose and Waiting in the Wings. I'm a huge fan of Cassandra, especially her singing voice, so I admit to a bias.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

In other news this week's Owl House was really good. A few laugh out loud moments and I appreciated them not having Mae Whitman's character with the angry teens too so we can see she's different.

I'm assuming the triclops girl will be taking her place as antagonist.

Also, someone pointed out that The Boiling Isles was one of the locations listed in Ford Pines' books in Gravity Falls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taear posted:

I'm pretty sure Eda would fit right in with teenagers.

Interestingly it seems implied it's a shapeshifting effect rather than a body swap.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure Eda would fit right in with teenagers.

Interestingly it seems implied it's a shapeshifting effect rather than a body swap.

Eda keeping the bee costume when they changed back was a nice quick joke.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Senerio posted:

So now that the finale of Tangled has aired, and we had some time to digest the finale, what's everyone's favorite song from the show?

For me, it's a tossup between Nothing Left to Lose and Waiting in the Wings. I'm a huge fan of Cassandra, especially her singing voice, so I admit to a bias.

I really liked Crossing the Line. Also the main theme, "Wind in my hair" is quite beautiful too. Especially when it originally appeared and Raps and Caz were having fun in the wilderness. But Nothing Left to Lose will remain the song I go back to listen too from time to time.

Disney needs to make more musicals again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crossing the Line is still the best one to me, it's emotional, it's a sentiment that I can really identify with, and it's got an electric guitar without overpowering the vocals. The song really takes you through a journey. Let Me Make You Proud is also a great one, it really captures teen angst as the song flops between striving to be the best and being confrontational about his dad. I think It even really evokes that sort of teen voice cracking while still being sung perfectly. Ready As I'll Ever Be is also great.

Everything I Ever Thought I Knew isn't particularly great musically, but the whole emotion of the song really gets to me. Also I like I've Got This a lot, despite it being emotionally shallow and musically not nearly as impressive as the other songs. It's just a nice little song.

With You By My Side and Stronger Than Ever Before are weirdly contradictory.

Disney needs to make more musicals again.

They sorta still are, although I heard Frozen 2 was not very good. I think the biggest issue is that they're so drat self-conscious and noncommittal about their old style. That's one of the things that's great about Tangled, it's just what it is. It's not some kind of weird attempt at being self-aware or any attempt at self-criticism (while still following through with all the Disney tropes as they disparage them). The songs aren't some kind of cheap workaround, they're not tacked on, they're honest expressions of the characters' emotions.

It seems like Disney's been trying to stay one step ahead of potential criticisms by elaborately heading them off at the pass when it needs to just tell a good story instead of doing elaborate brand management.