Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Don’t sleep on Legion either. It’s a show with some really great performances and ideas, and beautiful cinematography. It’s only brought down slightly by going a bit up it’s own rear end at times, but it’s fun throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Legion is really good. I got family and friends who would never watch comic book based stuff hooked on it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Rewatched Alita Battle Angel on HBO. Such a great flick, really hope it gets a sequel with more motorball.

Now I'm finally gonna binge through hannibal while I'm laid up sick and it seems absolutely amazing so far. Does it get worse at any point? If there's a bad season or a drop in quality I'd like to be ready for it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

Don’t sleep on Legion either. It’s a show with some really great performances and ideas, and beautiful cinematography. It’s only brought down slightly by going a bit up it’s own rear end at times, but it’s fun throughout.

It’s usually pretty gorgeous while going up its own rear end though :munch:

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Deadite posted:

I feel like I’m the only person who didn’t like Justified. I thought season two was great but after that it just turned into the standard “cop breaks laws but everyone looks the other way because he gets results!” cliche of a show. I liked how Raylan only cared about Marshall business at first but that stance goes out the window pretty quick.

The second last season with the extended Crowe family sucked, but I thought it picked back up with the last season. I really liked the scene in the last episode where Raylan has nearly completely lost it and is trying to get Boyd to pick up a gun so he can shoot him and Boyd's desperate attempts to talk Raylan down, even though Raylan is the "hero" and Boyd the villain .

"Cause we dug coal together"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The further up its own rear end Legion is, the better it gets.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Legion is incredible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tweet my meat posted:

Rewatched Alita Battle Angel on HBO. Such a great flick, really hope it gets a sequel with more motorball.

Now I'm finally gonna binge through hannibal while I'm laid up sick and it seems absolutely amazing so far. Does it get worse at any point? If there's a bad season or a drop in quality I'd like to be ready for it.

It only gets better.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deadite posted:

I feel like I’m the only person who didn’t like Justified. I thought season two was great but after that it just turned into the standard “cop breaks laws but everyone looks the other way because he gets results!” cliche of a show. I liked how Raylan only cared about Marshall business at first but that stance goes out the window pretty quick.

I am a big fan of Timothy Olyphant, I grew up in the Appalachian area, and I love Elmore Leonard’s books, but I couldn’t finish season 1 of Justified. The crime of the week thing wasn’t interesting at all to me. I know it gets better in season 2, I just never had the desire or time to give it a true watch. Maybe one day I will.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nate fisher posted:

I am a big fan of Timothy Olyphant, I grew up in the Appalachian area, and I love Elmore Leonard’s books, but I couldn’t finish season 1 of Justified. The crime of the week thing wasn’t interesting at all to me. I know it gets better in season 2, I just never had the desire or time to give it a true watch. Maybe one day I will.

I'd still say checking out S2 or at least the 1st 2-3 eps to see if its getting better is worth it given how good it was relative to a lot of other stuff.

But, totally get it. I love David Simon's stuff, but I'm from New Orleans and I couldn't finish Treme for some reason after a couple times trying to.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I'd had my fill of Justified after S2 concluded, and it was a pretty satisfying conclusion. I'm just not drawn to badass cops on TV anymore, but if that's your thing, Justified is a good show.

Gonna check out Legion, though.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My wife's laid up with lowtax back, basically bed-ridden and I've been working nights. I could faintly hear her watching this show that I finally had to watch because it sounded like an early 90s must see tv show mixed with late 90s touring in a punk band feverdream.

Raised by Wolves streaming on Amazon, Acorn sub. Lots of shows try to do the "disfunctional yet heart of gold parent" thing but this one resonates with me. Also great soundtrack.

And to whomever recommended Wellington Paranormal a few pages back, we both say huge thanks.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hannibal really makes a strong case for cannibalism with these cooking scenes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Good Place bumps against being a little too poppy and the difficulties faced by a half hour comedy with a meta plot arc more complicated than "ensemble member X is dating recurring guest star Y," but I'm still laughing a lot. The Florida jokes, they are very good.

e everyone just landed at the Jacksonville Randy "Macho Man" Savage Non-International Airport, for instance

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 5, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

I love You're the Worst so much, and also there are stretches that are intolerably dark. It's a good show to binge.

Same, it's just such a brutal satire of Rom/Com's stuck the landing amazingly.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I'd had my fill of Justified after S2 concluded, and it was a pretty satisfying conclusion. I'm just not drawn to badass cops on TV anymore, but if that's your thing, Justified is a good show.

Even though Justified is my fav, I can understand this.
I never really watched The Shield before and I am currently binging it with my wife (nearing end of S4). It's good, but it's not great at all, to me. I think a lot of it has to do with having seen this / been there.
I also can't shake that hack Sutter tainting my opinion, because I firmly believe that the weaker bits from The Shield comes straight from him, evidenced by doubling-down on them in Sons of Anarchy.
Mostly the completely out of place shock-situations that randomly appear, where the cast needs to act around. It doesn't fit, character's reactions do not mesh and it's just completely out of tune with an otherwise great show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I felt the same way about The Wire, everyone raved about it and I just thought it was kinda meh.

I'm hesitant to start The Shield for the same reason.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Acht posted:

Even though Justified is my fav, I can understand this.
I never really watched The Shield before and I am currently binging it with my wife (nearing end of S4). It's good, but it's not great at all, to me. I think a lot of it has to do with having seen this / been there.
I also can't shake that hack Sutter tainting my opinion, because I firmly believe that the weaker bits from The Shield comes straight from him, evidenced by doubling-down on them in Sons of Anarchy.
Mostly the completely out of place shock-situations that randomly appear, where the cast needs to act around. It doesn't fit, character's reactions do not mesh and it's just completely out of tune with an otherwise great show.

Season 5 is when the show goes from good to great so you are close to some of the best stuff. The last three seasons are pretty much one continuous arc that really focuses the show and it's themes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Field Mousepad posted:

I felt the same way about The Wire, everyone raved about it and I just thought it was kinda meh.

I'm on the last of the Shield right now. The Wire was far far better.

The Shield has some really good parts, but its like a few a season where the Wire has some good parts for most every episode imo. It's just not on the same tier, but that's fine, usually I watch Shield while I'm working out or grading papers or surfing the web etc and it's a good show for that.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Flying Zamboni posted:

Season 5 is when the show goes from good to great so you are close to some of the best stuff. The last three seasons are pretty much one continuous arc that really focuses the show and it's themes.

Hey that's good to hear. :) Looking forward to it!

re: The Wire; check out season 1, Field Mousepad. Episodes are dense. You'll find out quite soon if you'll like it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Doing my MASH rewatch from start to finish after buying the complete series for $30 on iTunes (it is available on Hulu streaming too). It cracks me up how in season 1 characters like Spearchucker Jones, Lt. Dash, and Ugly John (who were billed as main characters) just disappeared without any explanation.

Field Mousepad posted:

I watched the first few episodes of The Shield (I think in 2018) and I could see the appeal, but it felt very dated to me (in the early 2000's I would have thought it was the greatest thing ever). That said I think The Wire is a top 5 show of all-time, and after re-watching season 1 recently I still think that. To be honest The Shield and the Wire are so different that you shouldn't write off The Shield since you didn't like The Wire.

That Works posted:

I'd still say checking out S2 or at least the 1st 2-3 eps to see if its getting better is worth it given how good it was relative to a lot of other stuff.

But, totally get it. I love David Simon's stuff, but I'm from New Orleans and I couldn't finish Treme for some reason after a couple times trying to.

Ha I think Treme is a criminally underrated and under-watched show. Maybe there is something to this theory of yours. Still I usually love white trashy stuff (like Winter's Bone).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Doing my MASH rewatch from start to finish after buying the complete series for $30 on iTunes (it is available on Hulu streaming too). It cracks me up how in season 1 characters like Spearchucker Jones, Lt. Dash, and Ugly John (who were billed as main characters) just disappeared without any explanation.

I watched the first few episodes of The Shield (I think in 2018) and I could see the appeal, but it felt very dated to me (in the early 2000's I would have thought it was the greatest thing ever). That said I think The Wire is a top 5 show of all-time, and after re-watching season 1 recently I still think that. To be honest The Shield and the Wire are so different that you shouldn't write off The Shield since you didn't like The Wire.

Ha I think Treme is a criminally underrated and under-watched show. Maybe there is something to this theory of yours. Still I usually love white trashy stuff (like Winter's Bone).

Yeah it's weird. I'm not super broken up about Katrina and can freely discuss it, but I did lose my dad and the house I grew up in during it, so maybe the show just kinda slowly brings me down. I've tried twice within the past 5 yrs and only get about 3 eps in then just never pick it up again.

True Detective S1 was super good though and really nostalgic in a lot of ways so it's not just depictions of home.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I truly don’t understand how someone could watch The Wire and think it was “meh”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I truly don’t understand how someone could watch The Wire and think it was “meh”

I can see having that reaction to Season 1, especially the first half of Season 1. But after that it pretty quickly becomes fantastic and completely addictive. And if you can push past the disorientation of the first few episodes of Season 2 where they drop you into a whole new scenario with mostly all new characters, from there you've got like 2ish seasons of the best television ever made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I can see that. I bounced off season 1 back when it came out and finally went back to it when the show was wrapping up and couldn’t believe I quit watching. I feel like season 1 should have it’s hooks in by the 3rd episode though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I can see that. I bounced off season 1 back when it came out and finally went back to it when the show was wrapping up and couldn’t believe I quit watching. I feel like season 1 should have it’s hooks in by the 3rd episode though.

I also stop watching season 1 when it aired after 3 or 4 episodes, but I binged watched season 2 right before season 3 came out (I have no idea why, I think I was home sick and got hooked on an episode airing on HBO). From that point forward I was hooked, and I watched every season when it aired. Embarrassing fact, I never really watched season 1 until the series finale aired.

Also I was a sucker for the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey (you know who left the show in season 3 and it became a pure soap), so I am sort of hyped for Fellowes' new Netflix series coming this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOlhdSYhv8

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The only hardboiled cop story anyone needs is The Other Guys, on Netflix.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 5, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Wire season 2 was the best season guys

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

beanieson posted:

The Wire season 2 was the best season guys

I love season 2, but I can't get behind that. For me 4>3>2>1>5 or 3>4>2>1>5. Season 3 and 4 were just perfect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Season 3 and 4 were best imo but I suuuper loved the newspaper editor character in S5 so I secretly enjoy that one more than most people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe one day I'll watch this Wire you speak of

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Decided to rewatch Terriers for the first time in like 5 years and I again reiterate, watch Terriers. Bit of hard boiled detective, bit of comedy, bit of romance. I think anyone that enjoyed Justified would love it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember much about The Wire having watched so long ago, but I remember thinking season 1 was one of the best things I'd ever seen, not liking season 2 because I couldn't get over the change in characters and location, and rolling my eyes at the serial killer thing in the last season.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Honestly that moment in season 2 with Ziggy in the car after the shooting is one of the best illustrations of "oh my loving god i've destroyed my entire loving life" in history

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
There’s so many great things about The Wire. It’s an essential show in that it feels drat near timeless if you get past the dated technology. It still got a lot to say about the times we’re in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I Am Not Okay With This was great. That climactic scene in the last episode was not something I expected to see in that show!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't dislike it, it just didn't live up to the hype for me. I got about halfway through the second season so maybe I'll pick it back up again and see what happens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

I didn't dislike it, it just didn't live up to the hype for me. I got about halfway through the second season so maybe I'll pick it back up again and see what happens.

The usual way that people enjoy The Wire is that they like it, but think it's overhyped for the first two seasons. Then, by the end of Season 3 they're hooked and Season 4 is one of the greatest seasons of television ever made.

Then, when they finish the show, they go back and rewatch Season 2 and realize it's basically just as good as any of the other seasons but they weren't in the right frame of mind to properly enjoy it the first time.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Honestly that moment in season 2 with Ziggy in the car after the shooting is one of the best illustrations of "oh my loving god i've destroyed my entire loving life" in history

Yes. Ziggy was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

OpenSourceBurger posted:

It’s so loving good. The whole character is so tragic. Hated him the first time through but on additional viewings it’s one of the best arcs in the series.