Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Busy Bee posted:

Built my new PC - went through Windows Update, also installed Nvidia Graphics Drivers + Flashed the BIOS + installed AMD Chipset Driver. Am I missing anything else that's important to update?

Enabled XMP memory profile in the bios?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Dammit I was just considering going to 32GB RAM for a bit and you guys are tempting me to jump on the bandwagon

Do you have any reason to need 32gb of ram? (Chrome is not a good reason :))

Prices will be higher, we're not going back to the shortage years. And DDR4 will probably be very available on sale when DDR5 comes out sometime next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Klyith posted:

(Chrome is not a good reason :))

I mean, how else will I keep open 500 tabs!?

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.

The plastic film is still on the glass until I finalize things so it doesn't photograph well but this is how it's fitting in there.

DieLaughing fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2020

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Ughh probably did something wrong here.

I have memory I purchased which was rated at 3600Mhz. Current system says it's running at 2133mhz. When I went into bios and adjusted the timing on the memory, it no longer booted. Any reason why?

I have an Asus Prime x570-p and Ryzen 3600 CPU.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LimburgLimbo posted:

I mean, how else will I keep open 500 tabs!?

I went to do some helpdesk stuff for an employee earlier last week and she had 82. EIGHT TWO tabs open.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

lol internet. posted:

I have memory I purchased which was rated at 3600Mhz. Current system says it's running at 2133mhz. When I went into bios and adjusted the timing on the memory, it no longer booted. Any reason why?

Did you self adjust it or just set the XMP profile? Memory is finicky. If you set it to 3600 without adjusting the voltage that's probably it. If your XMP profile isn't working right away you can download D-RAM calculator and manual set ALL the timings and the voltage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol internet. posted:

If you manually set the memory clock to 3600 and changed nothing else, it was still trying to use the CAS etc timings from 2133 which are way to low.

Load the XMP settings from the memory, which on Asus mobos is "D.O.C.P." set to enabled on the front screen.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Klyith posted:

Load the XMP settings from the memory, which on Asus mobos is "D.O.C.P." set to enabled on the front screen.

I always forget this part and I even have an ASUS board :v:

But yea, if it doesn't boot at that, your best bet is to download D-RAM and Taiphoon and manually enter settings. You might not quite hit the 3600 you are looking for but you should get close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM (dumb video tutorial)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Klyith posted:

If you manually set the memory clock to 3600 and changed nothing else, it was still trying to use the CAS etc timings from 2133 which are way to low.

Yeah I manually set it. I'll try looking for the XMP setting to load.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

lol internet. posted:

Yeah I manually set it. I'll try looking for the XMP setting to load.

Where it says "Ai Overclock Tuner" --> Auto. There should be a drop down setting that says DOCP or something like that. Set that and see if your system boots.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Hi thread I love you

What country are you in? USA, not near a microcenter
What are you using the system for? scientific computing

I'm doing scientific computing, data analysis and image processing, so I'm working with large datasets (100s of GB) with long calculation times. I've been using an old computer cluster with 256GB of memory, but it has a very slow processor. I'm looking into how much it would be to get my own setup that I can take with me when I leave my current position. I'd like to spend some money on a good processor and a large amount of memory, but I don't have any serious need for a GPU.

Budget? I’d like to keep it under $2k

software?
Mostly Fortran and Python code, but I will regularly have to use MATLAB as well as some proprietary software that only runs on Windows. There's also a chance I'll be using some CAD software like Solidworks or AutoCAD.

I'm thinking that I will get the second cheapest of the high-end processors and a minimum of 64GB of memory. I'd like to be able to upgrade the memory to 256GB in the near future, so I’m thinking about getting the cheapest motherboard I can find that can handle a max of 256GB (which is ASRock X299 STEEL LEGEND https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157900).

Based on that and otherwise choosing randomly, this is what I have so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X299 Steel Legend ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($344.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($144.10 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($131.17 @ Newegg)
Total: $1839.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 12:48 EST-0500

My questions are:

I don’t know anything about motherboards. What are the downsides of getting this motherboard (ASRock X299 STEEL LEGEND https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157900) as opposed to the next most expensive ones (https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=Property&N=100007627%20600008646%20600008650%208000&order=PRICE)?

Right now, disk i/o is a bottleneck, so I’m interested in getting a very fast SSD. I’ve read that you don’t get the full 32GB/s speed with an M.2 SSD unless the motherboard supports NVMe. However, I don’t see any confirmation that NVMe is enabled in the cheapest motherboard’s manual (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X299%20Steel%20Legend.pdf) Is this just something that is standard in newer stuff that they don’t bother bragging about?

I just randomly picked a graphics card and a power supply. I’m not sure what I need out of a graphics card since I don’t play many games. I do 3d visualization of data and things like solidworks are definitely graphics intensive. Do you think I can get anything worthwhile for <$150? Did I overbuy on the power supply?

I’m guessing I need a lot of cooling since I will be running processor-intensive things for hours (or even days) at a time. Is it worth it to get liquid cooling? What’s a good guide for a complete beginner?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Right now, disk i/o is a bottleneck, so I’m interested in getting a very fast SSD. I’ve read that you don’t get the full 32GB/s speed with an M.2 SSD unless the motherboard supports NVMe. However, I don’t see any confirmation that NVMe is enabled in the cheapest motherboard’s manual (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X299%20Steel%20Legend.pdf) Is this just something that is standard in newer stuff that they don’t bother bragging about?
Yeah they're NVMe, that's what "M.2 PCI Express" is.

quote:

I just randomly picked a graphics card and a power supply. I’m not sure what I need out of a graphics card since I don’t play many games. I do 3d visualization of data and things like solidworks are definitely graphics intensive. Do you think I can get anything worthwhile for <$150? Did I overbuy on the power supply?
You probably want a slightly more capable GPU.

The PSU is more power than you need, that intel CPU can do like 200 watts. Which is pretty huge for a CPU, but if you're never gonna have a pair of monster GPUs as well you don't need a 760W PSU. You can do 650 if you want to have plenty of room for a single high-end GPU, or 550w if you will always be using small cheap <100w GPUs.

quote:

I’m guessing I need a lot of cooling since I will be running processor-intensive things for hours (or even days) at a time. Is it worth it to get liquid cooling? What’s a good guide for a complete beginner?
No, liquid cooling doesn't really have benefit to long-duration processing. All you need is enough case ventilation to clear the heat from the CPU.

#1 - don't bother paying extra for 3600 speed memory, because I doubt you'll be able to run it at 3600 once the board is fully populated.

#2 - first-gen threadripper CPUs and mobos are going for major discount prices. Only one of the motherboards officially supports 256GB of memory, but there are reports of them working now that 32gb sticks of non-ECC dual-rank dimms are available. Those just didn't exist when x399 launched.

On a threadripper platform I can make this setup that has 128GB of ram right off the bat. I don't know if that's actually a good idea -- the 1920x is gonna be a fair bit slower than a 10920. But if lots of memory is the most important thing, this would let you spend more on RAM.

edit: also both the intel and threadripper platforms have quad-channel memory. So your intel setup that can only afford 2 sticks of memory is quite gimped at the start.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 4, 2020

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Where it says "Ai Overclock Tuner" --> Auto. There should be a drop down setting that says DOCP or something like that. Set that and see if your system boots.

That did it and everything is correct now.

Thanks!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Hi thread I love you

What country are you in? USA, not near a microcenter
What are you using the system for? scientific computing

I'm doing scientific computing, data analysis and image processing, so I'm working with large datasets (100s of GB) with long calculation times. I've been using an old computer cluster with 256GB of memory, but it has a very slow processor. I'm looking into how much it would be to get my own setup that I can take with me when I leave my current position. I'd like to spend some money on a good processor and a large amount of memory, but I don't have any serious need for a GPU.

Budget? I’d like to keep it under $2k

software?
Mostly Fortran and Python code, but I will regularly have to use MATLAB as well as some proprietary software that only runs on Windows. There's also a chance I'll be using some CAD software like Solidworks or AutoCAD.

I'm thinking that I will get the second cheapest of the high-end processors and a minimum of 64GB of memory. I'd like to be able to upgrade the memory to 256GB in the near future, so I’m thinking about getting the cheapest motherboard I can find that can handle a max of 256GB (which is ASRock X299 STEEL LEGEND https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157900).

Based on that and otherwise choosing randomly, this is what I have so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor ($699.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X299 Steel Legend ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($344.99 @ Corsair)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($144.10 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($131.17 @ Newegg)
Total: $1839.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 12:48 EST-0500

My questions are:

I don’t know anything about motherboards. What are the downsides of getting this motherboard (ASRock X299 STEEL LEGEND https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157900) as opposed to the next most expensive ones (https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=Property&N=100007627%20600008646%20600008650%208000&order=PRICE)?

Are you absolutely hung up on requiring that CPU? You're not using quad channel memory, so you're hurting your performance there.

If you can step down to dual channel, you can get more single-threaded performance and more multi-core performance by switching to a Ryzen 9 3950x, while also saving money.

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($747.95 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard ($185.63 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1878.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 16:38 EST-0500

Test AMD build, this one is comparable price for better performance, both in single core ratings by a bit, and overall multi-core performance by far. Used the money saved to double your NVMe SSD's size, and upgrade it to a faster drive overall, as the EX950 is faster than the EX920.

E: Reread your wanting 256GB quad channel memory in the future, disregard my idea.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 4, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

orange juche posted:

Are you absolutely hung up on requiring that CPU? You're not using quad channel memory, so you're hurting your performance there.

I was going to post the same thing, but it's limited to 128gb of ram, and he was saying he'd like to go to 256gb in the future. That starts limiting the AMD options to Threadrippers (which Klyith talks about)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Azhais posted:

I was going to post the same thing, but it's limited to 128gb of ram, and he was saying he'd like to go to 256gb in the future. That starts limiting the AMD options to Threadrippers (which Klyith talks about)

Yeah if you want to go to 256 in the future, your only option in that case is HEDT class stuff. You can either choose to go with Intel, or AMD, AMD is currently killing it in the HEDT space but their processors cost more for the latest gen threadrippers iirc.

e: This completely blows out your budget, but this is AMD's equivalent setup for HEDT. It is significantly more powerful than the I9-10920X though.

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor ($1399.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 59.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Prime TRX40-Pro ATX sTRX4 Motherboard ($444.59 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2674.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 16:51 EST-0500

Is it worth the cost for the upgrade? Depends on how much you value speed over cost. It is your money making system though, and if your ability to do your job is constrained by processor power, the argument can be made that blowing the price may be worth it for future capability if you're planning on growing your workload.

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor ($400.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 59.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X399D8A-2T ATX sTR4 Motherboard ($450.83 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($569.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 710 2 GB Video Card ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1906.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 17:41 EST-0500

This one gives you 128GB of RAM vs what you had picked out before. That motherboard will go all the way up to 256GB, and appears to be the only previous gen TR4 motherboard that is capable of doing so.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 4, 2020

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

orange juche posted:

Yeah if you want to go to 256 in the future, your only option in that case is HEDT class stuff. You can either choose to go with Intel, or AMD, AMD is currently killing it in the HEDT space but their processors cost more for the latest gen threadrippers iirc.

e: This completely blows out your budget, but this is AMD's equivalent setup for HEDT. It is significantly more powerful than the I9-10920X though.

Yeah, lots of RAM is one of the few use cases where it makes sense to stick with Intel, Ryzen doesn't support more than 128gb and 3rd gen Threadripper (and its boards) is way more expensive to use in place of a 10XXX Intel chip.

It also may not currently be the case but I remember some of Pugets benchmarking showing that Intel also still had an edge over Ryzen for certain mathematical computes because a lot of that software is optimized for the Intel MKL (Math Kernel Library). Not sure if this is still the case or if there's a workaround/patch but it is something to keep in mind.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I have this monitor - LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor with G-Sync Compatibility - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-gaming-monitor (Plugged in to my 2080 Super)

I want to buy a cheap 27 inch monitor to use as a second monitor while continuing to use the above monitor as my main desktop / gaming monitor. Planning on using the second one to browse on the internet while watching Netflix.

Will I have any impact on gaming performance on my main monitor if I install a second one? If the cheaper 2nd monitor has a different refresh rate and resolution, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, lots of RAM is one of the few use cases where it makes sense to stick with Intel, Ryzen doesn't support more than 128gb and 3rd gen Threadripper (and its boards) is way more expensive to use in place of a 10XXX Intel chip.

It also may not currently be the case but I remember some of Pugets benchmarking showing that Intel also still had an edge over Ryzen for certain mathematical computes because a lot of that software is optimized for the Intel MKL (Math Kernel Library). Not sure if this is still the case or if there's a workaround/patch but it is something to keep in mind.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/h...lications-1637/

Luckily someone who works for Puget Systems found a way to enable MKL on Ryzen processors, as it seems to be just a simple genuineIntel Y/N check and not actual new microcode in the processor.

However, at the bottom he says that the debug flag can definitely be removed by Intel at any time, and if you're wanting to do mathematical stuff on Threadripper, use AMD's BLIS library.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/AMD-Threadripper-3970x-Compute-Performance-Linpack-and-NAMD-1631/

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 4, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Scruff McGruff posted:

I think it very much depends on the exact performance characteristics of the job.

If it wants memory above all else and CPU second, a first generation threadripper might be the best / least expensive way to get to 256GB.

If it really wants a faster CPU and the 256GB of memory on the previously used machine was actually surplus to requirements, a regular ryzen might do better.

If it's in the middle and wants both, the intel platform is probably the best even though it'll be more expensive overall. (Less expensive than 3rd gen threadrippers, but that's because those start at 24 cores.)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

So I have this monitor - LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor with G-Sync Compatibility - https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-gaming-monitor (Plugged in to my 2080 Super)

I want to buy a cheap 27 inch monitor to use as a second monitor while continuing to use the above monitor as my main desktop / gaming monitor. Planning on using the second one to browse on the internet while watching Netflix.

Will I have any impact on gaming performance on my main monitor if I install a second one? If the cheaper 2nd monitor has a different refresh rate and resolution, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

G-sync doesn't work in multimonitor setups. I have a Gsync primary monitor and a regular 24 inch cheapo as my secondary, and it is drat near impossible to use G-sync if both monitors do not support it and are not identical. I can get G-sync to work *sometimes* with both monitors on, but at this point I have given up, as when you click off of your application/monitor that supports G-sync, your refresh rate on the G-sync monitor will lock to its max refresh and stay there, even once you click back into the application.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Geez glad I ordered my RAM yesterday. It was $290 the day before I ordered. $310 yesterday when I put the order in and now it's up to $350.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I had to connect my 60hz secondary monitor up to a displaylink adapter, as having both it and the 165/144hz primary connected to the videocard was preventing it from idling, on top of the refresh rate issues with G-Sync mentioned above.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I went to do some helpdesk stuff for an employee earlier last week and she had 82. EIGHT TWO tabs open.

I actually sometimes do some market research contracting work, which will either require me to do a lot of online research about products, or do a bunch of manual entry of data, and for workflow purposes it often makes sense to open literally dozens of tabs at once for that, so being able to run smoothly a shitton of Chrome tabs actually is a concern for me.

Mostly though, I'm peaking my memory usage when doing video editing. Which isn't the end of the world, but probably gonna pick up a couple more 8GB sticks to get me to 32GB. Was considering replacing with a pair of faster 16GB sticks but prooobably not.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

orange juche posted:

G-sync doesn't work in multimonitor setups. I have a Gsync primary monitor and a regular 24 inch cheapo as my secondary, and it is drat near impossible to use G-sync if both monitors do not support it and are not identical. I can get G-sync to work *sometimes* with both monitors on, but at this point I have given up, as when you click off of your application/monitor that supports G-sync, your refresh rate on the G-sync monitor will lock to its max refresh and stay there, even once you click back into the application.

Oh. That's kind of a bummer. Does explain why I didn't feel like g-sync made any difference whatsoever, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BonoMan posted:

Geez glad I ordered my RAM yesterday. It was $290 the day before I ordered. $310 yesterday when I put the order in and now it's up to $350.

Memory as a whole has not gone up 20% over the last week. The individual package that you bought may have had a swing where you bought it when it was cheap and then it went up -- particularly if you picked off pcpartpicker's automatic filtering. Memory especially seems to bounce up and down a lot.

If you got some particular brand that you wanted, nice. If you wouldn't have cared about the name on the label as long as it met the right specs, there's probably something else available at $300 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHPVD05hgY

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Klyith posted:

Memory as a whole has not gone up 20% over the last week. The individual package that you bought may have had a swing where you bought it when it was cheap and then it went up -- particularly if you picked off pcpartpicker's automatic filtering. Memory especially seems to bounce up and down a lot.

If you got some particular brand that you wanted, nice. If you wouldn't have cared about the name on the label as long as it met the right specs, there's probably something else available at $300 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHPVD05hgY

Yes I know the market hasn't leapt 20% over night. And is all RAM created equal as long as the specs listed on Amazon correctly? Not being snarky, it's just been a while since I bought RAM.

Also the set I bought is back down to $289. Geez.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
Hey again everyone. Thanks for the suggestions last month ItBreathes.

I've made a list that i feel comfortable in with but isn't final. I've added 3 pairs of monitors to possibly get feedback on. It's been a pain to actually find these types of displays in stores for demonstration and I don't know anyone locally who has them. I've been to a couple Best Buys but they don't have any practical demonstrations and Fry's is a rotting carcass.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.63 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($137.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB EVOKE OC Video Card ($334.99 @ B&H) just saw the GN recap on thermal problems so I'll reconsider
Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($385.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($385.00 @ Amazon) [Here's a more expensive TN display that I'm having trouble seeing just why it's $150 more than the following ones but it seems to be recommended it many other places]
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Best Buy) [Cheapest IPS monitor on the list, still seems to have a good response time for it's type. I don't know much about ViewSonic as a brand]
Monitor: Samsung LS27R750QENXZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($287.36 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung LS27R750QENXZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($287.36 @ Amazon) [ cheapest VA monitor on the list that's not AOC or Viotek. Again, I haven't SEEN the difference in these monitors but the idea of them having deeper blacks and better contrast is appealing]
Total: $3107.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-04 20:21 EST-0500

I feel mostly good about everything else. Although, I am itching for an excuse to spend ~$100 more.for a Ryzen 9 3900. I know it won't improve games but what could the 12 cores improve?

I haven't used a modular PSU before so should I know anything about them?

The RAM is a bit of a random pick.

EDIT: Forgot a CPU cooler. Maybe a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B ?
EDIT 2: another look at the video card.

zipzilchzero fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 5, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GruntyThrst posted:

Oh. That's kind of a bummer. Does explain why I didn't feel like g-sync made any difference whatsoever, though.

I've been running a high Hz gsync monitor right next to a plain old fixed 60 Hz monitor for like 5 years and have never encountered the issues those two are describing. Through multiple combinations of video cards, monitors and connections, and it has always just worked. No idea what they are doing wrong, because I've tried a lot of combinations and generally failed to get it to misbehave.

Like the rare occasions where I've gotten gsync to quit working were when I cloned an output of one of the monitors like it was going to a projector (so three monitors, 1 and 2+3). And it can also sort of stop working if you play a video or some other hardware accelerated thing on the 60 Hz display while trying to play a high Hz game on the primary, and even then it still works but is capped to 60 Hz.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Newest Nvidia drivers, a 2080ti, and a gsync capable monitor. No combination of settings changed in the Nvidia control center made any difference. Guess I had to finally lose one given that I never had any problems with ATI/AMD cards over the years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BonoMan posted:

And is all RAM created equal as long as the specs listed on Amazon correctly?

Ehhh pretty much? Almost all actual memory is made by one of three companies (samsung, hynix, micron) and only one of them (micron = crucial) makes their own sticks for retail. Making the memory module, testing it, binning it, and selling it is a pretty standardized thing that is hard to gently caress up. Brand name isn't worth a lot in RAM except for accessory features like RGB blinkenlights.

As long as you buy memory that's on your motherboard's QVL and thus tested to work with your board, any two sticks with the same spec numbers should be pretty much identical at the level of "load XMP, get on with your life".

Some specific types of memory chip, ex samsung B-die, are known to overclock better than others. But this isn't samsung in general, it's a specific module that samsung made (past tense, it's gone now). So if you knew in advance that the G Skill F4-3200C16X-16GVK used b-die and the Corsair CMK16GX8M2D3200C16R uses Hynix CJR, you'd want to buy the G Skill. But that's like two levels deeper into memory overclocking.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Klyith posted:

As long as you buy memory that's on your motherboard's QVL and thus tested to work with your board, any two sticks with the same spec numbers should be pretty much identical at the level of "load XMP, get on with your life".

Out of curiosity, I presume that the MB QVL is best, but what if something is missing from the MB QVL but on the memory manufacturer's QVL? I mean I presume it's going to work at some rate but was wondering how the memory manufacturers' QVL are considered.

Specifically even when I bought my rig I was on the fence about 16GB since I'm also doing a bit of 4k video editing and I do indeed peak my RAM usage (though admittedly not too often and I'm doing fine overall, though I would like to be able to multitask etc. with no issues), so I'm considering switching up and grabbing some Trident Z Neo which seems to be the best option my local store in Taiwan has in stock and has my MB on its QVL.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So every input on the front IO Panel of my case (Fractal Design) works except for the mic input. I bought a splitter for my headphones and my computer recognizes the mic but it's just static when I try to record or speak. If I plug the headphones + splitter into the back of my motherboard, it works perfectly.

I've tried reconnecting the connection between the front panel to the motherboard and nothing seems to work. I've reached out to Fractal Design to see what they say.

What are my options? I have a pair of Bose QC35II headphones that I would like to use for gaming without having to buy a set of gaming headphones. It has a mic on it but it does not work when it's connected to the computer through Bluetooth (audio goes into mono mode apparently from what I read online). So I purchased a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable that includes a mic along with a splitter. However, I would also like to continue to use my computer speakers sometimes to.

1) Are there computer speakers with a mic input as well so I can plug my splitter into it?
2) Should I get a audio switch? I remember having a Planatronics one back in the day.
3) Is there a different adapter I can purchase for my headphones that will make it work without having to disconnect my computer speakers to use?
4) I do have an audio input thing in the back of my monitor. Maybe I can plug my computer speakers into that and then my headset into the back of my monitor?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 5, 2020

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
What country are you in?
USA (Bay area)

What are you using the system for?
gaming, some streaming

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Looking to get CPU/RAM/Motherboard, not GPU. I already have an Nvidia RTX 2060

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I have a two monitors, an MSI optix MAG with 120hz refresh rate and an older viewsonic monitor with 60hz. I'd like to run on the ultra preset because my goal is create another machine that I wont have to make a major upgrade for a while.

This is what I have:
I have an intel i7 870 that no longer has an overclock
16gb ram
geforce RTX 2060
a good Corsair PSU from 2013, and a crappy rosewill case.
1TB from 2013 with Windows 10 install
500GB SDD from 2016

I'm looking to build a new machine that will last me a long while only needing incremental upgrades. My current machine has lasted me a long time but I think that some hardware conflicts with the newer graphics card is causing problems and I might be nearing the end of the usable life of my processor. Though its really served me well.
What I want to know:
1)Is there a benefit to using the X570 chipset motherboard instead of the B450 chipset?
2)Would the X570 allow more future upgrades potentially?
3)Would a older gen Ryzen Processor have basically the same performance as the 3700X for less money?

Budget ~$700

The build I'm looking at is:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler ($294.63@Amazon)
Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard ($183.99@Amazon)
Memory:CORSAIR VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600(PC4-28800) ($92.99@Amazon)
Case:Fractal Design Meshify C ($112.23@Amazon)
Total:$683.84

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If it were me I'd get a 3600 and slightly overclock it (or not) and get roughly the same gaming performance for $175. The x570 gets you pcie 4.0 which has minimal value today but I imagine the nvidia 3000 series cards will use it so there is at least some upgrade value there, especially if you bump the CPU down the road as well.

Here's a video talking about the 3600 vs 3600x performance and you can see on their comparisons how little the 3700x beats them by.

https://youtu.be/rDV7aA6arVo

It is better but I don't know that it's $100 better.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
re: the dual-monitor oddities. I understand people have had issues with mis-matched refresh rates causing problems, but has that ever happened with differing resolutions? I'm going to get a 1440p/144hz main monitor soon but am hoping to keep using my current 1080p/60hz monitor as a secondary, and maybe eventually replace that with a 1080p/144hz.

Would the former set-up (1440p/144hz + 1080p/60hz) be more liable for issues than the latter (1440p/144hz + 1080p/144hz)? Or am I unlikely to see any issues with either?

edit I suppose GPU really comes into it as well, as well as g-sync/freesync? The new monitor is going to be freesync, but my old monitor is barebones. Also for reference I'm going to be getting a RTX 2070 Super, currently on a RX 480

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

re: the dual-monitor oddities. I understand people have had issues with mis-matched refresh rates causing problems, but has that ever happened with differing resolutions? I'm going to get a 1440p/144hz main monitor soon but am hoping to keep using my current 1080p/60hz monitor as a secondary, and maybe eventually replace that with a 1080p/144hz.

Would the former set-up (1440p/144hz + 1080p/60hz) be more liable for issues than the latter (1440p/144hz + 1080p/144hz)? Or am I unlikely to see any issues with either?

edit I suppose GPU really comes into it as well, as well as g-sync/freesync? The new monitor is going to be freesync, but my old monitor is barebones. Also for reference I'm going to be getting a RTX 2070 Super, currently on a RX 480

Most graphics cards that are moderately capable of gaming are able to drive any sensible or insensible number of displays simultaneously. You can have any mix of resolutions you wish, as well, with no real issues. Refresh rates should cap at the rates of the respective panels, unless you have variable refresh rates, and there you will run into issues likely on a case by case basis. I havent ever gotten variable refresh rates to work consistently with my GSYNC monitor, when combined with a plain 60hz 1080p monitor, but that may be just a me thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Barry Foster posted:

re: the dual-monitor oddities. I understand people have had issues with mis-matched refresh rates causing problems, but has that ever happened with differing resolutions?

The issues with multiple monitors are strictly with different refresh rates. Also the root of these problems tends to be with the DWM, the part of windows that draws all the 2d windows and desktop. DWM is perfectly fine with different resolutions, refresh rate is what it wasn't really designed to handle. This is why the weirdness is on both nvidia and AMD, though different flavors of weirdness with each.

Having different refresh rates can trip up DWM in various ways, mostly when playing video or playing a game, and especially doing both at the same time. If you like to play a game on screen 1 and a video on screen 2, it's best to just set both screens to 60hz and forget about VRR.

Also multiple refresh rates had a bug in the nvidia driver where it locker into high-power mode rather than the idle low-power mode it normally uses in 2d windows. This was annoying, but afaik has been fixed.

Variable Refresh Rate (aka G/FreeSync) compounds these problems because now it's not just out-of-sync refresh but variable. Using VRR really wants a game to be in exclusive fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless windowed. If you like to alt-tab and have the game stay up, just don't use VRR. The reason for this is when in windowed mode the DWM is still involved, and DWM was not designed for VRR. Gsync allows games to use VRR while not fullscreened but it's very much a kludge.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Klyith posted:

The issues with multiple monitors are strictly with different refresh rates. Also the root of these problems tends to be with the DWM, the part of windows that draws all the 2d windows and desktop. DWM is perfectly fine with different resolutions, refresh rate is what it wasn't really designed to handle. This is why the weirdness is on both nvidia and AMD, though different flavors of weirdness with each.

Having different refresh rates can trip up DWM in various ways, mostly when playing video or playing a game, and especially doing both at the same time. If you like to play a game on screen 1 and a video on screen 2, it's best to just set both screens to 60hz and forget about VRR.

Also multiple refresh rates had a bug in the nvidia driver where it locker into high-power mode rather than the idle low-power mode it normally uses in 2d windows. This was annoying, but afaik has been fixed.

Variable Refresh Rate (aka G/FreeSync) compounds these problems because now it's not just out-of-sync refresh but variable. Using VRR really wants a game to be in exclusive fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless windowed. If you like to alt-tab and have the game stay up, just don't use VRR. The reason for this is when in windowed mode the DWM is still involved, and DWM was not designed for VRR. Gsync allows games to use VRR while not fullscreened but it's very much a kludge.

The obvious solution is building a 2 machine case just to run your second screen. :c00l:

Edit: you know what I have always wanted to gently caress around with a raspberry pi, I could just do that on the cheap...

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Klyith posted:

Incorrect: in Windows 8+ there is no escape from DWM. It is always running, even when you have an app in "exclusive fullscreen" it is still running inside DWM. When an application requests exclusive fullscreen Windows says "Okay, here you go." and DWM promptly serves it up a nice borderless fullscreen just like everyone else gets. It is all faked/emulated in software, it has been this way for like a decade already:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/desktop-window-manager-is-always-on