Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/NXTUK/status/1233057404700549127

Kinky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Re: Tino Sabbitelli, my favorite reference to his Tampa Bay (home of Mania) NFL career

the article posted:

There's one player who will always be the worst Buccaneer I've ever seen play. The very worst one. The player who will forever be engraved in my memory as the worst football player I've ever seen start a game: Sabby Piscitelli.
I am not exaggerating here. Piscitelli was horrifying. He tried to play safety, but looked more like a safety valve for the offense. He couldn't cover anyone. His angles to tackles were atrocious. He routinely whiffed on tackles even when his angle was good. He caused more blown coverages than anyone I can remember. According to Football Outsiders, he led the NFL in missed tackles in 2009. The entire NFL. And not by any small margin, either: he had 24 missed tackles. No one else even had 20.
Watching Sabby play wasn't just like watching a trainwreck in progress: it was like watching a trainwreck with the absolutely certainty that trainwrecks were to keep occurring play after play, week after week, month after month until Raheem Morris finally accepted that trainwrecks are no way to stop someone from scoring.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Riddick Moss broke Kenta's neck doing a powerslam and Tino Sabbatelli didn't wrestle for like the last two years until just recently

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Who the gently caress is Tino Sabbetelli.

Former football man, who apparently sucked poo poo at it despite making the NFL, who has a million-dollar look and about 10c worth of skill in the ring.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Accident Underwater posted:

Riddick Moss broke Kenta's neck doing a powerslam and Tino Sabbatelli didn't wrestle for like the last two years until just recently

https://youtu.be/oF-Sxw-C_nE
Holy gently caress how didn't they fire him on the spot?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wazzu posted:

https://youtu.be/oF-Sxw-C_nE
Holy gently caress how didn't they fire him on the spot?

Werner Herzog slowly takes off his headphones, and in a German drawl he speaks

"Never, never ever, show this to Kota Ibushi."

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I had no idea Kenta also broke his neck in NXT :stare:

Lid posted:

Werner Herzog slowly takes off his headphones, and in a German drawl he speaks

"Never, never ever, show this to Kota Ibushi."

Just because this makes me laugh every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
This thread title makes me mad every time I read it; thanks for listening

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
So is rhea a heel or why did she wait until the foot stomp portion of her intro before going to the ring?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Brand is above alignment also I am led to believe that stomps are popular in WWE during black history month

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

King Of Coons posted:

So is rhea a heel or why did she wait until the foot stomp portion of her intro before going to the ring?

She is SUPPOSED to be the top babyface. But her outstandingly lovely promos, average ringwork and having little charisma puts her below several other women.

Bianca Belair and Io Shirai, who are SUPPOSED to be heels, get a stronger and more positive reaction than Rhea.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

She is SUPPOSED to be the top babyface. But her outstandingly lovely promos, average ringwork and having little charisma puts her below several other women.

Bianca Belair and Io Shirai, who are SUPPOSED to be heels, get a stronger and more positive reaction than Rhea.

Nothing about Rhea Ripley comes off as authentic, and she looks like what some corporate suit thinks is "hardcore" or whatever. "This is my brutality." gently caress off, you look like you listen to nu-metal.

Even her music loving sucks. Now Dakota Kai's heel theme? Now that's entrance music you can set your watch to.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I was at tonight's NXT show in Largo and I can report that Tino Sabatelli is still terrible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King Of Coons posted:

WWE faces are assholes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When a face gets beaten up, no one comes to save them. Nor do they ever come to save a victim of an assault. Unless you're Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe and the Street Profits for some reason.

Heels on the other hand? You've got the Undisputed Era, Rollins' group of stupid losers that always win, Baszler and her two buddies, etc. Basically, anyone evil has loyal friends that are always willing to take a bullet for you. Hell, that's the reasoning given by Roddy Strong when he joined up with TUE.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vagabundo posted:

Nothing about Rhea Ripley comes off as authentic, and she looks like what some corporate suit thinks is "hardcore" or whatever. "This is my brutality." gently caress off, you look like you listen to nu-metal.

Even her music loving sucks. Now Dakota Kai's heel theme? Now that's entrance music you can set your watch to.

Yeah that’s always been my hang up with her. I like her size and her strength, I think she’s a pretty good worker but they keep trying to tell me she’s this ruthless badass but we’ve literally never seen her do anything bad rear end. Everything about her persona just feels so manufactured.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

As lovely as Rhea is, it's profoundly unfair to have her anywhere near the same sentence as Io Shirai, who 100% does not belong in NXT and never did

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Io being in NXT was good if only because it gave us her new cooler character.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Neodoomium posted:

As lovely as Rhea is, it's profoundly unfair to have her anywhere near the same sentence as Io Shirai, who 100% does not belong in NXT and never did

I mean I would rather see her in NXT having good decent length matches, opposed to the main roster having to put over people like Charlotte and Natalya in 5 minute matches. Which would definitely happen. Because Bruce doesn't care about how good the women are in matches, and Vince wouldn't get what makes Io so popular so he would get bored of her in a few weeks and bury her. The main roster is pretty much death for Japanese stars right now. Asuka and Kairi are in an okay spot, but you can easily tell they aren't going to be pushed on the same level as Charlotte, Becky, and Shayna on RAW.

Io is also one of NXT's more popular stars ratings wise. Dave broke it down in past Observers, but she's one of their biggest positive ratings movers for the 18-49 demographic (her segments regularly gain 50-60k viewers in that demo).

As for Rhea, she barely moves the needle the majority of the time, and over the past month or two, has been losing viewers in her feud with Charlotte. WWE made a big mistake sending Charlotte down to NXT to feud with Rhea. Because Rhea on her own isn't very popular (she was warmly received at one point, but they gave her way too much way too quickly on top of being still green in the ring and terrible on the mic), but add in Charlotte whose segments on the main roster regularly lose large chunks of the audience, and yeah you have a problem. It doesn't help that Rhea has lashed out at fans several times on social media and generally acts like a dumbass on it as well.

As for Rhea's character, its not something that WWE themselves came up with. She adopted this new persona shortly after the MYC 1 and talked about how it was entirely her idea because she likes that kind of aesthetic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was at NXT this past Wednesday, after a new co-worker gave me a ticket he couldn't use. It was my first time attending, and my first time even watching NXT. (I watched WCW starting in 1998, then switched to WWE when they took it over and stuck around until 2005, and then AEW recently drew me back into following wrestling.) I had a great time, especially running into a colleague who goes almost every week, who was filling me in on the characters and angles. I knew who Finn Balor and Charlotte Flair were, but that was about it, since I've been out of it for so long, and if I'm home early enough on Wednesdays, I'd tune into AEW instead.

The women's division seemed to be the most impressive part of NXT. We were also treated to an excellent dark match between Shotzi Blackheart and Aliyah. I'm always disappointed the women don't get more screen time on AEW Dynamite.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 1, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

As for Rhea's character, its not something that WWE themselves came up with. She adopted this new persona shortly after the MYC 1 and talked about how it was entirely her idea because she likes that kind of aesthetic.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Still looks like try-hard bollocks though.

The whole thing with her taking ages to get to the ring to run off Charlotte looks dumber too when you consider how that sort of thing is usually played for laughs, e.g. Glacier in 2000 WCW taking forever to get to the ring to save Norman Smiley from a beatdown, to the point that the assailants have already left by the time he gets there, or on a random episode of SmackDown when Kane got jumped by Ziggler and Big E, fighting them off successfully, then Daniel Bryan comes running in, and demands Kane thank him because "I saved you" leading to another argument.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The 'must do your entrance the same way every time' thing is probably a WWE-mandated thing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Seams posted:

The 'must do your entrance the same way every time' thing is probably a WWE-mandated thing
It is. It leads to really stupid stuff like people not selling a recent beat-down because they have to do their regular pose. It’s not *always* done and there are plenty of counterexamples, but it happens a fair bit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This could have all just been avoided by Rhea making her entrance by power walking down to the ring and just glancing at a broken Bianca's body instead of the narrative trying to be she was "saving" Bianca but had to stop and make her entrance pose. She doesn't have to give a poo poo about what Flair is doing to Bianca, but Charlotte is on her TERF turf.

Instead what we got was a hotdogging Rhea who almost cares about Bianca and isn't mad enough about Flair being in her ring so she just looks like an idiot.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 2, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

It is. It leads to really stupid stuff like people not selling a recent beat-down because they have to do their regular pose. It’s not *always* done and there are plenty of counterexamples, but it happens a fair bit.

Aleister Black sold a beat down during his entrance on Raw last week and it worked really well

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah that was the exact counterexample that came to mind :)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
When Miz came out to fight the FIEND, the literal demon who had threatened his wife and child he just had to come out in his sparkly robe and do the spin and point.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Seams posted:

When Miz came out to fight the FIEND, the literal demon who had threatened his wife and child he just had to come out in his sparkly robe and do the spin and point.

A few months ago there was that angle where Shane was trying to get the match with Roman so Shane was beating up Romans cousin for like 5 minutes. Romans music hit and he very slowly walked down the ramp.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Roman has a lot of cousins.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

A few months ago there was that angle where Shane was trying to get the match with Roman so Shane was beating up Romans cousin for like 5 minutes. Romans music hit and he very slowly walked down the ramp.

Are you talking about Hobbs and Shaw?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Big Huski Boi posted:

Are you talking about Hobbs and Shaw?

Roman was perfect in Hobbes & Shaw. didn't speak, just stood around being intimidating or was fighting baddies.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

the escape goat posted:

Roman was perfect in Hobbes & Shaw. didn't speak, just stood around being intimidating or was fighting baddies.

It was hilarious to watch so many random samoans get lines, and Roman Reigns very pointedly did not. Like if you don't know Roman Reigns and were really watching the movie, it was probably baffling that he was silent.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a clever ending to the cage match.

Yay Dakota!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Keith Lee is so much better than anyone else that it doesn't seem like he has any credible challengers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So...............Roddy is going to kill Dream isn't he?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Don’t you love how wins and loses don’t matter?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The main was actually pretty smart in terms of working with the cage escape rule.

Dream shoving Roddy out of the cage to get his hands on Cole was sold well by Mauro.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok I need to be brought up to speed on Cameron Grimes. I remember Trevor Lee being a big name in PWG and the indies, so is it really good heel work thus booing? Or have they absolutely hosed him over?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gargano's interview was comical. He's just incapable of coming across as anything but a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He has near Ricochet promo skills.