Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Man are you in for a tr...

Oh MAN do not watch this movie. It’s the last segment of Creepshow but amped up to like 90.

E: wait, which Bug did you buy? The one with Michael Shannon or the one from the 70s with the fire roaches?
Michael Shannon one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Michael Shannon one

Watch it because it's great

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A local theatre is screening NOES2

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is that a call me by your name parody cause that's genius

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's a great poster.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shrecknet posted:

Michael Shannon one

No roaches but drat it's intense.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at posers in this thread not reading from the necronomicon as a preteen and summoning demons

I honest to god tried to summon one of the 72 spirits of Solomon (not Paimon though!)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Who was it then, and did it work?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

married but discreet posted:

Who was it then, and did it work?

It was Ose, and no he did not appear and give me shapeshifting powers :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

remigious posted:

It was Ose, and no he did not appear and give me shapeshifting powers :(

You didn't deserve them and you know it.

Besides you're not legally allowed to talk about that or the massage after.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Michael Shannon one

It's been a few years, but you don't need to worry about seeing the bugs.

My partner grew up in a South Bronx NYCHA building. Two of their stories really stuck out to me. Once on their way to go to middle school they found a dead sexworker in their stairwell. Another time they were babysitting their nephew in a nearby play area, a guy was thrown from the roof of their building and hit the ground near them. Kind of predictably then they hate horror films as a result, their top three films are Dirty Dancing, Baby's Day Out, and Muppets Take Manhatten

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

flashy_mcflash posted:

This rules

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/melgillman/status/1235388607705133057

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Aw, this is adorable and I love it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a werewolf movie on Prime called PROJECT: METALBEAST I can't believe I haven't seen until now. Maybe not an amazing movie overall, the pacing really hurts it. It was made and released in 1995 but everything about the pacing makes it feel like Prophecy or something. But definitely a must-watch for this thread. The outfits/makeups are decent enough and fun, some good surgical gore (and some very very very good of both towards the end), the cast is pretty good, the score is bombastic, and to top it all off......

It’s a shame the movie is so sluggish in places, because if I had to rank my favorite movie titles of all time, PROJECT: METALBEAST would be in the top five. The first half of the movie is a Rube Goldberg machine that makes a bulletproof werewolf. If nothing else, it’s fascinating to watch the script jump through all the hoops it does to get there.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I watched Bliss last night, and well, holy poo poo, compounded with VFW I guess I'm a Joe Begos zealot now.

What a neon-soaked, angry thrill ride of a movie.

Excellent horror tiddies.

Outstanding blood shower.

Props to the goon who said all these characters were despicable and disposable.

It helped watching this with the mindset of "Bad Lieutenant" or "Leaving Las Vegas", where you're more interested in the chaotic-hell story that unfolds rather than relating to the characters whom are all self-destructing (sometimes literal) monsters.

Having said that, I found VFW a little more enjoyable on that regard. Having a core of protagonists to root for is a anchors the outrageous action a little bit and gives it purpose.

Both are outstanding films and I await October with manic glee for the opportunity of a rewatch.

HAIL BEGOS

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Continuing my attempt to watch the Friday the 13th series, part 3 might be my favourite film of the series so far. I think I might even unironically prefer it over The Nightmare on Elm Street films. In regards to quality it has nothing on your average Nightmare film, but I think that works in its favour.

I was always waiting for Nightmare to live up to its potential. With the Friday series there's really not much to live up to, so when they get it right it all just cuts past my better judgement. I haven't done a deep dive into the background of the films, but it looks like guerrilla filmmaking. Many of the scenes sound and play out like improv, and I love all that. It really gives the film character, and weight, like these are actual people at a real camp, but less boring than that sounds.

And all of the campy bullshit in the film! I had no idea going in that it was supposed to be in 3D, so when they began shoving poles at the camera, yo-yoing, and juggling, it just felt so delightfully out of place and discordant. Delightful is definitely what I'd call this film. The smallest, least intimidating biker gang in the world? Delightful. Jason's little excited face at the window? Delightful.

I think the Friday the 13th films are a lot better once you know that they're screwball sex comedies, with kills instead of punchlines.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Continuing my attempt to watch the Friday the 13th series, part 3 might be my favourite film of the series so far. I think I might even unironically prefer it over The Nightmare on Elm Street films. In regards to quality it has nothing on your average Nightmare film, but I think that works in its favour.

I was always waiting for Nightmare to live up to its potential. With the Friday series there's really not much to live up to, so when they get it right it all just cuts past my better judgement. I haven't done a deep dive into the background of the films, but it looks like guerrilla filmmaking. Many of the scenes sound and play out like improv, and I love all that. It really gives the film character, and weight, like these are actual people at a real camp, but less boring than that sounds.

And all of the campy bullshit in the film! I had no idea going in that it was supposed to be in 3D, so when they began shoving poles at the camera, yo-yoing, and juggling, it just felt so delightfully out of place and discordant. Delightful is definitely what I'd call this film. The smallest, least intimidating biker gang in the world? Delightful. Jason's little excited face at the window? Delightful.

I think the Friday the 13th films are a lot better once you know that they're screwball sex comedies, with kills instead of punchlines.

I love this journey you're taking.

My recommendations:

Watch the documentary Never Sleep Again. 4+ hours of breakdowns of each of the films in the Freddy franchise and it's influence on pop culture. Tons of great stories.

Listen to the podcast In Voorhees We Trust. Each episode is 1 film from the series. 2+ hour episodes with tons of love and research and anecdotes from the two hosts. You can start listening to these now.

Watch the documentary Camp Crystal Lake Memories. 8+ hour documentary of every Friday film, and their influence on pop culture. I'd wait until you've watched them all for this.

edit: I love the cabin in Part 3. Kind of a shame they spent so much time in the spooky barn. I also like the cast pretty well, and Shelly is my favorite of the "annoying prankster/joker" characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

If you're enjoying the increasing camp levels in the Friday series, you'll probably like them more and more as you go on. By Part 6 you'll have (minor spoiler for a pretty good gag)Jason doing a James Bond intro before the credits.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Oh wow, thanks for the recommendations! Downloading the podcast now :)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I love this journey you're taking.

My recommendations:

Watch the documentary Never Sleep Again. 4+ hours of breakdowns of each of the films in the Freddy franchise and it's influence on pop culture. Tons of great stories.

Listen to the podcast In Voorhees We Trust. Each episode is 1 film from the series. 2+ hour episodes with tons of love and research and anecdotes from the two hosts. You can start listening to these now.

Watch the documentary Camp Crystal Lake Memories. 8+ hour documentary of every Friday film, and their influence on pop culture. I'd wait until you've watched them all for this.

edit: I love the cabin in Part 3. Kind of a shame they spent so much time in the spooky barn. I also like the cast pretty well, and Shelly is my favorite of the "annoying prankster/joker" characters.

I will second Crystal Lake Memories And In Voorhees We Trust. Ive watched that documentary like 3-4 times, so I think I officially have spent more time on F13 periphery than the movies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

By Part 6 you'll have (minor spoiler for a pretty good gag)Jason doing a James Bond intro before the credits.

I remember the theater I was in cheering it's head off at that bit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh wow, thanks for the recommendations! Downloading the podcast now :)

The first season they did Friday the 13th series, 2nd season is all of the Halloween movies (In Myers We Trust) and next season (October 2020) is most likely going to be Freddy movies plus some extra stuff to get to 13 episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My partner grew up in a South Bronx NYCHA building. Two of their stories really stuck out to me. Once on their way to go to middle school they found a dead sexworker in their stairwell. Another time they were babysitting their nephew in a nearby play area, a guy was thrown from the roof of their building and hit the ground near them. Kind of predictably then they hate horror films as a result, their top three films are Dirty Dancing, Baby's Day Out, and Muppets Take Manhatten
I think there might be an element to that in that I don't really like really violent or grounded horror and prefer spooky supernatural stuff. Something like the Collector just repulsed me. Not to say I've ever been any degrees removed from some crazy serial killer who booby traps houses, but that level of sadism and human misery just turns me away. And the giallo films I've watched don't appeal to me at all in the same way I don't like watching True Crime stuff. And I guess maybe that factors into upbringing and surrounding? I have some "horror stories" of bad poo poo I've seen but a lot less than a lot of people. I don't want it to seem like I've had some horrific life. I've largely been blessed. But maybe in an urban environment you're just exposed to more of it because of the denseness of the population and all? I know I hate local news because its all random attacks and brutality that can drive you insane if you watch too much of it, but maybe that's not the case in a more suburban or rural place? I dunno.

And yes, Muppets Take Manhattan is one of the greatest films ever made and makes me cry to this day during "Saying Goodbye."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 5, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there a good list of virus/plague/pestilence horror movies I should watch/should have watched to get into the coronavirus mood?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

is there a good list of virus/plague/pestilence horror movies I should watch/should have watched to get into the coronavirus mood?

Yep! I have convenient Letterboxd list for this. Lemme know if there's anything good missing.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Would anyone be interested in good horror anime recomendations?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Sure. Just skip the hentai.

edit:

Tweet from Scott C, who rules:

https://twitter.com/scottlava/status/1235620935283011584?s=20

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

OpenSourceBurger posted:

me!

Franchescanado posted:

Yep! I have convenient Letterboxd list for this. Lemme know if there's anything good missing.

thanks for this. I've seen the following

28 days later
synecdoche
pontypool
children of men
the village
osmosis jones
cabin fever
12 monkeys
night of the living dead
ikiru
antiviral
outbreak
andromeda strain

Ikiru was an unexpected touch, I just saw it for the first time recently.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

me!

thanks for this. I've seen the following

28 days later
synecdoche
pontypool
children of men
the village
osmosis jones
cabin fever
12 monkeys
night of the living dead
ikiru
antiviral
outbreak
andromeda strain

Ikiru was an unexpected touch, I just saw it for the first time recently.

I can't decide if I Am Legend and The Addiction should be on the list. Opinions?

There's a movie where people are coughing up blood, but I can't remember what it is. Should parasitic movies also be considered? Shivers and Bug and the like? These questions are too big for one Fran.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpenSourceBurger posted:

yes but give me the horror hentai

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

yes but give me the horror hentai

the lighthouse

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I can't decide if I Am Legend and The Addiction should be on the list. Opinions?

You already have The Omega Man and The Last Man on Earth on there, seems appropriate to include I Am Legend too.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Franchescanado posted:

Sure. Just skip the hentai.

Gantz: 0 (Netflix): Gantz in general is a great horror show but this CG movie is the absolute best way to enjoy it. Gorgeously animated and perfectly captures the spirit of the show. The recently dead are summoned to a room in order to fight a variety of horrific and nightmarish villains on the streets of Japan. Basically being forced to be a part of the worst kind of video game.

Another (Crunchyroll): Final Destination: The Anime. A high school class is hit with a wave of mysterious and violent deaths that coincide with a secret ritual that happens every year.

Monster: An amazing work of fiction. A German doctor has to stop the single most dangerous and destructive serial killer in human history.

Paranoia Agent (Crunchyroll): Tokyo is plagued by random attacks by a boy on roller skates wielding a golden bat. A study of paranoia, madness, fear, misery and how society allows itself to be controlled by violence and the media.

Devilman Crybaby (Netflix): Brilliantly animated and loving bonkers anime about the end of the world. Violent as hell and one of the best animated works of the last few years.

Shiki (Crunchyroll): A great vampire horror work that never falls into the older stereotypes of the genre. Almost feels like a zombie/pandemic show at times.

Yamishibai (Crunchyroll): Classic Japanese ghost stories and horror works done in a great paper doll art style. Each story is short but full of dread and creepy moments.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i too would like the horror hentai.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Horror hentai?

Guvyer: Out Of Control 1986

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Franchescanado posted:

Why Quarantine and not the superior REC ?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why Quarantine and not the superior REC ?

No reason other than forgetfulness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is REC really superior to Quarantine? I feel like they're pretty drat near identical films aside from the ending explanation. I mean, by all means prefer the original in that case but I think Quarantine is as effective as the original.

But I haven't found a way to rewatch REC so maybe I'm underrating it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

holy poo poo, this is good