Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

whatever you do, do not go to that shady rear end dealership in burbank, right by the airport, i made the mistake of going there! Ive been searching for a decent private party deal for a black one with gray interior with under 200k on the clock - you'd think I was hunting last (endangered species animal) on earth.
Ooooh, yeah, that place is sketch. I feel like it's an extension of the weird parking lots for the airport, they seem to share a management philosophy. Good looking out, thank you!

LobsterboyX posted:

the newer exploders had the issue where it was co2 poisoning the coppers, i looked at them briefly as they are comfy, big and somewhat powerful. Personally I just cant swing a pickup, any modern truck is just so goddamn huge (says the guy with 20' long cars) , to me it defeats the purpose of having half a vehicle, gently caress even the new "midsize" trucks dwarf the full size trucks of the 90s - that stews me
I definitely think an SUV is more realistic size wise, but I like the idea of the space a truck would provide, and I have to admit I do like driving them - my wife's cousin's husband has a really nice one, and if I could find it's twin, I'd be up for it. ~'16-17, 5.0, RWD, short bed, crew cab, all the comfort options inside, lowered and leveled, with a pretty mean exhaust.

I'll have to look up that CO2 issue - I'd obviously like to avoid it, and I hadn't heard about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

LobsterboyX posted:

I need something with 4 doors

You mean the FJs 'worst possible compromise' door layout doesn't do it for you?

(I was just off roading in Death Valley last week with my dad in his FJ, and gently caress those stupid back doors)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You’ll never regret buying a 100 series. I’ve got 380k kms on my diesel one, it’s 14 years old and has been thrashed all over the outback in Australia- at least 75k kms of those 380 were on gravel roads or non existent roads.

I don’t have a single rattle inside my truck that’s not associated with my fridge slide, and it’s only a GXL, not a Sahara or a LX!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LobsterboyX posted:

the newer exploders had the issue where it was co2 poisoning the coppers, i looked at them briefly as they are comfy, big and somewhat powerful. Personally I just cant swing a pickup, any modern truck is just so goddamn huge (says the guy with 20' long cars) , to me it defeats the purpose of having half a vehicle, gently caress even the new "midsize" trucks dwarf the full size trucks of the 90s - that stews me

Wasn't that partly determined to be an issue with the way the interceptor versions were running wiring or something? Or some kind of rubber floor plug not sealing right? Either way, it was only an issue if they sat idling for extended periods of time. Ford's supposedly fixed the issues that caused it.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Congrats on the baby!

However:

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of functioning adult... I took a big step and listed my precious cadillac for sale.

Are you SURE you’re up for this? I distinctly remember, early in my time here in AI, lurking a thread of yours where you’d said you would never paint that car and being weirdly confused about it. For whatever reason, that stuck with me.

As the dad of a now 3 year old son, I can certainly attest to the fact that hobbies (ask me how my side hustle flipping bicycles is going) screeching halt, but I’m already feeling like I’m on the far side of it- The boy is keying into what I’m into, looking over my shoulder as I surf the web, and asking me to pull up race car videos on YouTube... It feels like it’s only a matter of time before he’s handing me wrenches as I call them out to him.

I guess what I’m saying is, yes, kids are certainly a change (I only have one, so take this however), but, at least in my case, it hasn’t been a complete overhaul. If somehow 14k is going to overhaul your situation and change things immensely,, then sure, GO, but if this is just you creating busywork for yourself, clearing space to match your wife’s nesting instinct, stay strong dude, and keep the car. If you do want to sell it, do it on your own terms, not with a due date casting a shadow on you.

Long Shot Aside: do you know Tim and Debbie Fallon from your NFL/Super Bowl days?

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 24, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Blacknose posted:

You mean the FJs 'worst possible compromise' door layout doesn't do it for you?

(I was just off roading in Death Valley last week with my dad in his FJ, and gently caress those stupid back doors)

lol! yeah, it can be a bit challenging with taking anyone else besides one other person - the back doors are limiting, but i love how cavernous it is inside of it at least in the front seat. It was a compromise I made at the time.

Ferremit posted:

You’ll never regret buying a 100 series. I’ve got 380k kms on my diesel one, it’s 14 years old and has been thrashed all over the outback in Australia- at least 75k kms of those 380 were on gravel roads or non existent roads.

I don’t have a single rattle inside my truck that’s not associated with my fridge slide, and it’s only a GXL, not a Sahara or a LX!

this is what I loved about my moms, even with a ton of miles on it, it was still tight, comfy and quiet as a mouse. it was a gas car, we never got the diesel here in the states. the coolest thing about it is that it had a luxury car gearing - look down speedo says 100 and you back off... in a full size luxury suv..

glyph posted:

Congrats on the baby!

However:

Are you SURE you’re up for this? I distinctly remember, early in my time here in AI, lurking a thread of yours where you’d said you would never paint that car and being weirdly confused about it. For whatever reason, that stuck with me.

As the dad of a now 3 year old son, I can certainly attest to the fact that hobbies (ask me how my side hustle flipping bicycles is going) screeching halt, but I’m already feeling like I’m on the far side of it- The boy is keying into what I’m into, looking over my shoulder as I surf the web, and asking me to pull up race car videos on YouTube... It feels like it’s only a matter of time before he’s handing me wrenches as I call them out to him.

I guess what I’m saying is, yes, kids are certainly a change (I only have one, so take this however), but, at least in my case, it hasn’t been a complete overhaul. If somehow 14k is going to overhaul your situation and change things immensely,, then sure, GO, but if this is just you creating busywork for yourself, clearing space to match your wife’s nesting instinct, stay strong dude, and keep the car. If you do want to sell it, do it on your own terms, not with a due date casting a shadow on you.

Long Shot Aside: do you know Tim and Debbie Fallon from your NFL/Super Bowl days?

I still would never paint the car, and anyone that has questioned me about the car loves the patina on it. - there are plenty of factors in me selling this car, for one, its one of the only cars in my fleet that I cannot keep at my home, its so big and with all the other cars there, its just too much. the driveway is only so long. the other part of it is that I feel it needs to be inside now, the car is so big it wont fit in my garage that was built in 38. - another big part of selling it is that its the car that is the most obtainable, where as my buicks and my roadster are a bit harder to come by. in my younger years I prided myself on quantity over quality, but now I'm one guy that has 4 classic cars, a job, building my own business, a wife, a house and one pair of rear end cheeks, im not giving up my love of these cars, but just this one car - I only hope whoever gets it will find as much joy with it as I did.

edit: also, I used to think it was so cool to have all these cars, now its begining to feel like a job - this car needs this, this one needs this, this one needs this and so on.

another thing is that my wife and I have been talking about selling both of our cars, my cadillac and her 56 dodge, combining the money and buying one reallllllly nice car, like a convertible or something.

wifes car with not my wife for a photo shoot we did awhile back:

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 25, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
running thru some old pics found some cool shots that warrant a repost...

I've had a lot of really great times with that car.

bonus: when I first got my fj this is what I wanted to do to it...

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

I still would never paint the car, and anyone that has questioned me about the car loves the patina on it. - there are plenty of factors in me selling this car, for one, its one of the only cars in my fleet that I cannot keep at my home, its so big and with all the other cars there, its just too much. the driveway is only so long. the other part of it is that I feel it needs to be inside now, the car is so big it wont fit in my garage that was built in 38. - another big part of selling it is that its the car that is the most obtainable, where as my buicks and my roadster are a bit harder to come by. in my younger years I prided myself on quantity over quality, but now I'm one guy that has 4 classic cars, a job, building my own business, a wife, a house and one pair of rear end cheeks, im not giving up my love of these cars, but just this one car - I only hope whoever gets it will find as much joy with it as I did.

I hear you. I just wanted [someone to check in] to make sure. Speaking with the hindsight of my own experience, there were some things that I parted with in the hormonal, manic, nesting phase of our pregnancy that I kick myself about letting go from time to time. None of them were nearly as significant as a '58 DeVille, but some were easily as much of a touchstone of sentimentality for me. Using that same hindsight, I've come to see that I was fighting to match my wife's hormonal nesting energy and not thinking it all the way though. Plus, we were pregnant at just about peak Kondo, so holy poo poo did we purge.

As an aside, that hormonal, manic energy was a tough one to match and often a sticking point for us- I spent a lot of time having my comfort about feeling prepared for the arrival of our son misread as being ambivalent about his arrival. It wasn't that I wasn't nervous, it was that I hit a point where fretting about what ifs was so draining I had to turn my back on the worrying. Whomever said "a woman becomes a mother at conception; a man becomes a father at birth" was on to something.

I also certainly understand the quality/quantity tradeoff, I could stand to be much more of the latter.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 25, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Wise words my friend. The hormonal stress of this has taken its toll on me already - nesting has more than begun and our home is in upheaval and I'm spending faster than I can make, new couch thats comfy, rocker for baby, new design for baby room, shifting her business to another room in the house (her office is becoming babys room) getting the guest room livable for her parents and visitors, the list goes on and on.

if the car doesn't sell in the next month or two, im just going to find some temp storage for it and deal with it later, but I'm frankly tired of spending money on it, and I don't want to have to store this thing again! perhaps you and your boy could use a 13 year project for his first car ;)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

new couch thats comfy

Give yourself credit for foresight here. I spent the first several weeks on the couch, and months later we ceded the bedroom to our infant and slept on the foldout. We had to alternate sides each night so our back pain was merely excruciating and not debilitating.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ought ten posted:

Give yourself credit for foresight here. I spent the first several weeks on the couch, and months later we ceded the bedroom to our infant and slept on the foldout. We had to alternate sides each night so our back pain was merely excruciating and not debilitating.

well, anything on earth is more comfy than these.. . these are our late 40s early 50s Paul Frankl rattan set, up until now, we have been focusing on absolute style over comfort - She really wants restoration hardware now, and I'm over here like "living spacesssssssss"

friends that are dads have all delivered ominous warnings to me, for example

"your cute little 40s jukebox will be firewood once Jr. learns to walk"

"sweet 1930s oil cloth parlor set bro, hope sharpie cleans off those easy"

"wow, a movie prop car minature from the 30s, tonka's are way cheaper"

so there will be much adjustment.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Heh, I didn't mean to stir up a bunch of stuff, just figured if someone was going to figure out how to be a dad with old stuff it would be you. My relationship with antiques is more "they look cool but if this new thing is cheaper and less hassle, we are going with that".

If you want all your old stuff, hide all the somewhat breakable stuff until your youngest is 4, before that their brains can't be taught that something shouldn't be food/hammer etc.
My 2 year old found some old massage oil that we got at prenatal and decided that should be spread all around his room during a nap time. As mad as that made mom, it was our fault for not realizing that kids don't understand that you shouldn't spread oil around your room.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blindjoe posted:

My 2 year old found some old massage oil that we got at prenatal and decided that should be spread all around his room during a nap time. As mad as that made mom, it was our fault for not realizing that kids don't understand that you shouldn't spread oil around your room.
I don't even want to think about how difficult it must be to catch a well-lubricated toddler.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
No I love these conversations! no stirring anything up here - I grew up in a house similar to how ours was now. my mom had one rule with me and the delicates around our house, I could touch anything I wanted but with just 1 finger. I was an only child and my mom was a designer too, so there were plenty of breakable things in the house when I was a yout. I remember when I was a teenager I had a bit of a wild party and a few things got broken, I became an expert at repairning broken ceramic, glass, ect..., a skill i still have to this day. My knowledge of adhesives is pretty vast. Who knew repairing belleek pottery was so easy with tacky glue..

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

...when I was a yout...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1CijCUj8w

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

angryrobots posted:

"I don't have any idea what you are planning to do, but here's a heaping load of sarcasm and unsolicited advice coming your way anyhow"

Raluek posted:

Smacking your head on a steel dash builds character.

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, I really dig your classics LobsterBoy, and didn't mean to imply that you'd put your family in harm's way. I had an incident a couple weeks ago where I was rear-ended at high speed due mostly to bad weather, but it has especially scared me because I didn't even see the truck that hit me coming.

I didn't mean to be a dick guys. Again, sorry to derail the thread.

chrisgt posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is still :rolleyes: though.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I hardly call it a derail! its the truth. As I said before, I used to be that guy... I lost my mom, not to a car accident, but it really reminded me how humans are. With Lobstergirlx being pregnant, I can feel my brain changing, I feel myself taking unnecessary risks while driving and I stop, I look at things a bit more prudently these days. I will always love my old cars, I will always love my old stuff, but hey, maybe I don't have to keep the 40 year old plug in clock raido plugged in just because it works - these old caps are dry and it could cause a fire - does it mean i throw the thing out? The juke and air chief console are on quick trip GFI's ... the fridges have been modernized and I wear the seatbelt in my roadster.. adulting sucks, but man... I had/am having a great time...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So when are you going to pick up that DC-3 cockpit and turn it into the world's most kick-rear end play fort for LobsterbabyX?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

... adulting sucks, but man... I had/am having a great time...

Amen, bother. Amen.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Congrats on the kid! Most expensive thing you will ever have in your house, haha

Weird you're selling the caddy. Remember the thread when you bought it. I went through this a few years ago when I was forced to clear out my old cars. It stings. You kick yourself for about 6 months. Then you just move on. Times change. Also you find a new toy to occupy yourself with and its all good again. Every now and then you still get that sting back, but still. Good luck.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I remember the feeling when I sold my Nova which was my true first car - It was very difficult for a bit, but then I got over it. When I see one now, I just wish I had one with a 250 i6 all grandma'd out with AC as a daily... but im over it!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Update:

I sold this to Steve1989MREinfo of YouTube fame...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

LobsterboyX posted:

Nice!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

Update:

Lol, called it!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
You didn't tell us how the meat tasted

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Life is too short to be a normal person, if you are in to something, live it, and the people that are also in to the same kind of thing will find you, as you find them. My job is weird, my house is weird, my wife is weird - but its completely normal to me!

The dairy has been open for over 100 years as a family owned business, the true name of the dairy is Broguiere's and they have been known for being the last dairy in southern califronia to use glass bottles for their milk:

it is also one of the most high quality milks you've ever tasted, it is sourced from local farms with herds of less than 100 cows - their chocolate milk is like drinking a milkshake and the formula is a closely guarded secret, it really is/was one of the best things I've ever had. I've been drinking this milk since I was a child. You'd buy the bottles at the market, drink them and bring them back with you and give them to the checker - people often would complain about the price, but it was literally a 2 dollar bottle.

Also, eggnog... November 20th had always been the day.. when the eggnog showed up. It was so thick, they couldn't run their bottling machines (that are over 70 years old) at full speed because the mix was too thick. It was the highest quality stuff you could get, and has been a tradition for LA natives for as long as anyone could remember, tradition beyond tradition.
I would just like to say, this poo poo is amazing. I finally managed to acquire some (my local Ralph's has it!) and it's booooommmmmmmb.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, its the end of an era for me, I've been talking about it and talking about it and finally it happened - the Cadillac is gone. It's starting its new life in Austria.

Shipping our old cars overseas had always bugged me, I think my disdain came from a guy I knew many years ago that would totally cheat older folks out of their old cars, ship them to his people in Europe and collect big money on them.

I had the car on Facebook marketplace for a few weeks when I got a message from a guy, obviously thru google translate who said he was extremely interested in the car and asked for more pictures and video of the car running. I sent them over and didn't hear from him for a few more weeks. During that time I had numerous offers on the car that were bordering on insulting. I also had trade offers for probably the ugliest cars, motorcycles, and powersport vehicles.

I had some issues with the car, and had to get it to a shop ASAP, I did some work to it, removed the airbags, and relisted the car at a lower price. I got another message from the Austrian guy saying he would take the car, I started opening up to him, there was definately a language barrier, but we started talking about cars, what this particular car meant to me, the reasons for selling it, the cultural aspects of the cars, his history ect. I actually really got to know this guy. He and I see eye to eye on a lot of things and it really put me at ease about re-homing my car. A few days later and I had a friend of his, an american guy, over here paying me for the car. a few days later he got the train up here, came over and with tears in my eyes, i watched my car of 16 years drive away.

took this shortly before the car left on saturday - my friends 58 ambulance in the background - he came over to see the car off. Also note the Green FJ cruiser in the background.

I had got new plates for the car so that I could retain my original 58 plates, so we bolted them on, and this is the last photo I have of the car...

away he went.

on an odd personal level, i was actually relieved - relieved that I didn't have the responsibility for it anymore, relieved that I didn't have to search for overpriced, inflated parts for it anymore... relieved that I didn't have to see what was left of the paint flake away, relieved that it was no longer mine. also, this meme is very, very real:

I justified it to myself by saying of all my cars, it was the most replaceable, it was also the most expensive to maintain. Buick's seem to have a bit more down to earth following, and parts are much less expensive. Everyone wants the bad rear end, sick 'lac, not that mad tight Buick... also, you can buy an entire model a from a catalog, so no issues there.

Anyway, it was hard, i cried like a baby, my wife cried, my friends cried for me... but it really wasn't about the car itself, but what the car meant to me. All in all I have much bigger things to deal with than aged Cadillacs right now, plus I still own 3 pre 55 cars, and one daily which is still a bit nutty.

ahhh, yes one daily... quick story time (lifted from the Offroading for boomers thread)

LobsterboyX posted:

My mom bought one of these (Lexus LX470) new in 2002, never let me drive it due to my "grubby hands mucking up the steering wheel" - by 2012 It had 250k on it and still felt new. She used it hard, but took great care of it, she loved her car, and so did I - when we went to a valet only place, they would park it in front, which to her was a big deal that she had in fact made it and was successful for herself, I loved the car because it was a really nice car, and the few times I actually did get to drive it were pretty nice. At the time I was driving a 95 Buick Roadmaster wagon or my 58 cadillac - I had just got a job with the NFL which was basically my first big time creative position. At Christmas time I was home and she was having a conversation with me about my cars, she had never been a fan of my wagon, or my old cars in general, the only car she really liked of mine was my 48 Buick which was black - she said "I think you should have only black cars now that your a big shot at the NFL" ... I laughed and she continued that she wanted to sell me her lexus for the fee of $1 - so I could finally have a nice, grownups car. we talked more and laughed more, she talked about how she wanted to get a convertible, something fun - she was on the road to retirement and she didn't want to drive the big fuel hungry car anymore. I was actually getting excited about it, I had talked with a friend about trading my buick wagon for some motorcycle bullshit that I was in to at the time, I was happy, and ready to make a change from my usual big rear end boat old car phase - I was ready to have a luxury car, and I know my mom was proud to be able to give me her car that she had worked so hard for.

I was working 50-60 hours a week getting ready for the Super Bowl in NY - My wife (then girlfriend) and my mom would take me to the airport every year to ship me out for a month, they would both cry and away I'd go to whatever city the super bowl was in. My mom and I had planned to do the car swap when I returned from the Super Bowl so it was even more like the icing on the cake for my return. I kicked rear end for a month in the freezing cold of new york in feb... I had never experienced anything like that, my soft california mentality was not prepared for the snow, the cutting cold, the smells, the attitudes and the general harshness of what I had to do.. but I did it! The night before I came back I got on the phone with my wife and mom, they were very close so during my absence they would go places together, have lunch, ect - so it was not uncommon for my wife to be at my moms house. Everything sounded upbeat and positive, until the last few lines of the convo - "we'll be there to get you tomorrow.. but it wont be in the lexus, it will be in a silver mercedes sedan" "oh cool, whats up with the lexus" "oh you know, I got in to a little fender bender the day you left" - So essentially she dropped me off at the airport, took my wife back to her car, she went back out and got rear ended so hard it smashed the front in to another car in front of her - our lexus was totaled , but she was physically fine, no injuries.- I was furious at both of them for not telling me about it, they figured it would upset me and they sure were right.

She had a rental for a few weeks, then she decided she was going to go buy an audi wagon (which to me was a huge step down) and a ways off from her retirement convertible. I went out and bought a 13 FJ cruiser which I still have (but not for long, read on) and that was that. My mom passed away in 2015 unexpectedly due to a massive brain hemorrhage, we've had a long road since then, but we did what we have to do - My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months and I know its the right time to finally nail down my lexus, my FJ is not going to cut it with a car seat and that stupid rear end door situation.

Anyway - sorry for the long winded story - I just have a real vendetta to avenge with these cars - over the past year I've gone to look at about 10-15 of these and all of them seem to have something wrong with them, or just dont feel right to me. I dont want to buy one from a dealer. Also, I can't find a deal to save my life! I can spend the money and get a nice one, but the nicer ones are all from shady dealers! I posted on ih8mud recently and found a swath of them, I just need to cook up the time and go see them.

After I finished writing this, I went searching on facebook again for one of these cars, i joined a few groups and what popped up....

Well, hold on, first I have to sell my green fj cruiser

This had been a great truck
exhibit a:

b:

except it was starting to make a very loud wining noise that was coming from the transmission... I wasn't about to wait and see what was going to happen to it.

away she went, Sold it thru KBB - they gave me 90% of my original purchase price of the car - I had 0 complaints. Basically I rented the car for less than 1000 a year.

On monday I flew to the bay area to pick this up:

84k original miles, thats 2000 miles more than my FJ had.

Today I replaced the original tires on the lexus, and added some cool rims bro.

anyway, thats a lot to read - now that i have a bit of money from these transactions, expect to see some bigger better things coming for the buicks and ford... and just pray I don't find any cheap rear end heaps that I cant live without before my baby arrives in april... please...

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Always appreciate these updates LbX! Is there any way to, or are you already keeping tabs on the caddy? Or is it a matter of just can't because you've got to let it go.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

extreme_accordion posted:

Always appreciate these updates LbX! Is there any way to, or are you already keeping tabs on the caddy? Or is it a matter of just can't because you've got to let it go.

I'm totally keeping track of it - the guy I sold it to is a very cool guy, restaurant owner, old soul and has a very big appreciation for the history of the car, and even my history with the car. He and I became friends on social media, and I even had a phone conversation with him, although it was very difficult to communicate

I offered the car back to its previous owner, who himself was a prominent entertainer in the 80s and early 90s that went by El Vez, The Mexican Elvis - here he is standing on the top of the car in 1989 - I posted this picture on my instagram and one of the girls, now a woman, in the photo reached out to me and got very emotional about the photo, telling me "some of the best times in my life were in that car" to which I responded "me too"

it was very difficult to let go of it, but the reality of the situation, and when I removed my sentiments to it and thought clearly about my situation right now, it became a lot easier to see it go.

the reality of the fact is that it is the least desirable vehicle in my fleet, it also is the most expensive car to maintain... only because its a cadillac, it had a laundry list of needs, its loving huge and took up so much space in my driveway and personally her looks were fading, the paint had degraded so far in my years of ownership that it just started to look blah to me, it was going past the patina phase and in to just looking crumby... to me... to a fresh set of eyes, its probably the most beautiful car ever.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I got emotional as hell getting rid of my dumb Saabaru, I can only vaguely fathom how hard this was until you forced yourself to be mathematical about it. The big boat had a lot of seriously cool history, and you got to be part of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I actually walked away teary eyes (very teary) after leaving my lovely 98 Carisma at the junkyard due to rust getting to it. It was nothing special, but at the same time it was my very first car that basically made it possible for me to do all the things and trips during those years.

Both me and my wife get super sentimental about poo poo though.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

LobsterboyX posted:

I posted this picture on my instagram and one of the girls, now a woman, in the photo reached out to me and got very emotional about the photo, telling me "some of the best times in my life were in that car" to which I responded "me too"

this is really cool and one of the only good features to come out of social media. what’s your IG?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
@supercruiserstudios follow @valleycruisenight too - This is the cruise night I started with a friend a few years back, its pretty big, brings really cool cars we have a really fun time every friday - here's about 1/4 of the cars that turn up - directly to the photographers back there are about 30 more classic rides like these -

yeah, social media can be pretty toxic, unless you keep it on a very superficial level. I very much keep it mostly about vintage crap, and very little personal.

speaking of - weird stuff - Ive been driving past this gas station my whole life and never realized how old it actually is - I'm planning on using my time off from work (baby coming in april) to model/render some vintage landmarks in 3d

cleaning out some old boxes in the garage I stumbled across this terrifying baby head that belonged to my mother - the date says 46 on the inside of the head, but im guessing this was hers in the early 50s.

I'm making a bit of progress on the 48 - I pulled her off the road to diagnose a bad exhaust leak, and one thing leads to the other... I have 2 carbs and a re-worked exhaust manifold coming...

the intake is an early 50s Edmunds intake - Eddie Edmunds made performance parts for nearly every make of car from late 40s to the late 50s - apparently he was quite the character - from what I;ve heard these intakes flow well, but do not make a ton more power, but it certainly does the trick in the looks department.

speaking of performance, this is not usually my cup-o-tea but this is my father-in-laws 73 2002 that he recently unearthed from a tomb of boxes and crap in his garage - when my wife and I first started dating 14 years ago, she would drive this thing occasionally - He raced the car frequently in the 80s all mods on it are "period" including lowering it by dropping the struts somehow - they cut big holes in the hood to get it to sit that low.

Wifey got pulled over in it a few times, it had a blow out and started to run hot - He started to have grandkids and the old car got stored for awhile it got stored for awhile - Him and I have been going to a once a month cars and coffee and he's seen how popular the 2002 is now so he got inspired and is starting to work on it.

So we had a non traditional baby shower and told our friends to bring their old cars - they did in force - here are a few from that day...

The photographer is a good friend of mine, you can follow him on ig: @lensesandwheels and another great one to follow @v8visuals - they also take pics of my friends and I doing our car crap

also, quicky update on my lexus - I never thought I'd love a car made after 1960 this much...

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

also, quicky update on my lexus - I never thought I'd love a car made after 1960 this much...

I love seeing places I recognize in your post, and I love that y'all had your baby shower at Chili John's - that's awesome!

Also, super jealous of that LX.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I love seeing places I recognize in your post, and I love that y'all had your baby shower at Chili John's - that's awesome!

Also, super jealous of that LX.

lol - yes, we were struggling to find a place to do it, neither of us wanted to do it at our house because cleanup is a bitch, then I was thinking about doing it at a park, then we were sitting eating chili last week and it was like a lightbulb - ive known the owner for years and years.

I'm taking it to a car show at the end of the month - los angeles cars and coffee, they are doing an off road theme this month and the guy invited me to bring it - i dont think its a car show car, but if he wants it, he'll get it

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh, that's awesome! I've actually only been there twice, and I think the first time was ~mid-December. I'm hooked, though - the seasonal Turducken chili was boooooomb. Took the family back, even my daughter had fun and liked the food!

Oooooooh, that sounds fun. I wonder if they'd want a battered rock crawler in it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Oh, that's awesome! I've actually only been there twice, and I think the first time was ~mid-December. I'm hooked, though - the seasonal Turducken chili was boooooomb. Took the family back, even my daughter had fun and liked the food!

Oooooooh, that sounds fun. I wonder if they'd want a battered rock crawler in it.

I'm sure they would - its all kinds of cars - a few of the old car guys go up there

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
yeah, so there's this-

and of course..

I'm playing it super safe as my first boy is due April 14 - which has amplified my worry times a million, but unless I unplug, take precautions and stay clean.. it will drive me insane.

SO

im thinking back to the drag race last year

the coupe belongs to a friend

I had my baby shower about a month ago, and my friends were totally awesome

my friend owns one of the oldest restaurants in LA and he stayed open late for us to have the shower!

I'm a independent contractor and sole proprietor of my own design business, I specialize in events! and with no events.... so I have some time on my hands and decided to paint some house and rearrange some of my cool old posters -

Cleaning out some stuff - found this photo of me as a kid in front of my dads 54 buick - the pic was taken sometime in the early 90s! Wonder where my love of vintage vehicles came from

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great stuff, I think i recognize that other coupe from instagram. Gave it up for lent but ill hook up with you on there once i get back on.

e- good luck with the baby, its a game changer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

the coupe belongs to a friend
Did this guy drive up to the event last year (~late october, I think you said you were going?)

I'm like 99% sure this is the car we saw on the 5N while we were heading to Redding to get our puppy.