Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I don't have a problem with Reiner, Annie, and Gabi getting redeemed because they're not real nazis - they're child soldiers and Janissary-slaves. They're victims of fascism in their own way, and it led to them becoming mass murderers in a situation where it was either that or life and death in a camp. And they were like 10. They'll have to face the consequences of their actions, but affording them subjectivity is a good thing, actually.
As for Marley itself, as I was relieved that Hange and Jean and Annie still acknowledge the reality that the people can't be reasoned out of genocide, since it's inherently unreasonable. I actually sorta like the explanation that the Marleyans might just get scared of the Rumbling and back the gently caress off the island, even if Eren is killed. But we still have to deal with their oppression elsewhere.
I'm hoping that Eren is doing all of this to recreate the conditions of his own emancipation on a global scale. He's closing in on an already closed world to make everyone rise up and throw off their chains. We saw some of this brewing with the riot that Annie's dad participated in.

And I think the false equivalency of the ancient history (which was already misunderstood; Ymir and her descendants were slaves to a DIFFERENT group of white people) was pretty much shot down when Kaya owned Gabi in a debate.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

One of my favorite trends on the something awful forums is when someone reads a chapter, imagines a disappointing resolution, and then complains about the imagined disappointment as if it’s actually happened. Not even unique to this thread.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JahRoo posted:

One of my favorite trends on the something awful forums is when someone reads a chapter, imagines a disappointing resolution, and then complains about the imagined disappointment as if it’s actually happened. Not even unique to this thread.

"Eren Is The Hero With A Secret Plan" would be the most controversial ending, so it's both my preferred ending but also the least likely one.

After that, you have either "Eren Is Defeated As A True Villain To The End" or "Eren Is Talk-No-Jutsu'd, Kumbaiya Forever" and while those are also both unsatisfying to some degree to different sects of the fanbase, the latter is probably the "safest" option and thus the most likey, imo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Nah, I think secret plan Eren is most likely. I want max evil Eren getting killed, ideally, but I can potentially vibe with the others if they're done well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

LOL.

LOL. It's kinda dumb that Annie is now comic relief but I also can't help but laugh.

This was such a "final season of game of thrones" chapter. I love it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Eren Is The Hero With A Secret Plan" would be the most controversial ending, so it's both my preferred ending but also the least likely one.

After that, you have either "Eren Is Defeated As A True Villain To The End" or "Eren Is Talk-No-Jutsu'd, Kumbaiya Forever" and while those are also both unsatisfying to some degree to different sects of the fanbase, the latter is probably the "safest" option and thus the most likey, imo.

I mean the most controversial would be "Eren literally wipes out all life outside the island and it actually makes things better".

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mulva posted:

I mean the most controversial would be "Eren literally wipes out all life outside the island and it actually makes things better".

Well, yeah, that or "Eren Dies Then The Anti-Eldia Coalition Fleet Bombards Paradise Into Rubble", but believe it or not I'm not actually deluded enough to believe either of those will realistically occur in this manga.

Although I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised, either.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DaveKap posted:

LOL.

LOL. It's kinda dumb that Annie is now comic relief but I also can't help but laugh.

This was such a "final season of game of thrones" chapter. I love it.

Love when Jean lunges for Reiner and she's there off to the side doing everything in her power to hold onto that stew

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Don't have much to add besides what a loving great chapter that was, so cathartic.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mulva posted:

Define "better" in this case, because even putting aside the culpability of nations that aren't Marley and their allies, I'm pretty sure that the Titans aren't just gonna magically smoosh only human beings with selectively permeable feet, so it'd be a pretty severe geological disaster too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was thinking: just imagine what the rumbling would do to ecosystems around the world, and thus, the climate

If it goes true, Paradis might not end up not being very paradisiac

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Define "better" in this case, because even putting aside the culpability of nations that aren't Marley and their allies, I'm pretty sure that the Titans aren't just gonna magically smoosh only human beings with selectively permeable feet, so it'd be a pretty severe geological disaster too

Killing most of the humans would probably be great for the environment in the long run, especially post industrial revolution humans

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Titan's probably can't swim right? Calling it now that they get to Marley and have a "wait did we miss them" moment and then they start rising from the seafloor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The World Inferno posted:

Titan's probably can't swim right? Calling it now that they get to Marley and have a "wait did we miss them" moment and then they start rising from the seafloor.

Aren’t titans super light and fluffy though? They’d probably just all float

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe Titans can't swim, but just you wait until they inject one of them serums into a squid or octopus so they can make a kraken.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Arent they supposed to be really light or something? Maybe they can float

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I could swear underwater titans came up some time before

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Eren hid in the water to surprise one of the Marleyan ships that came to investigate the island.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

change my name posted:

maybe they all banded together to form a huge raft on which Eren is surfing.

the whole manga was leading towards shredding on one big wave

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I hate how they handled Reiner's character. He's just so depressing.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

I hate how they handled Reiner's character. He's just so depressing.

That's why he's my second favorite character

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

change my name posted:

They're lighter than they should be but they're still heavy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

That's why he's my second favorite character

:same:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
He started off as such a badass though, during the female Titan Arc. And then he just became a spineless, morose, coward. I guess I understand that he has been emotionally battered by the events that occured but it still just seems contrived. He needs to either sack up or die

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is a really weird take and we're in a thread with Kerning

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I paid Reiner absolutely no mind until him, Bert, and Ymir were escaping (and it really came out that he's a little messed in the head) and started really liking him after wards when he's trying to deal with his demons.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like Reiner and am glad he's around even though him surviving that one battle with the thunder spears was total bullshit

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

He started off as such a badass though, during the female Titan Arc. And then he just became a spineless, morose, coward. I guess I understand that he has been emotionally battered by the events that occured but it still just seems contrived. He needs to either sack up or die

He and Annie planned that grift, though. He didn't perform his badass escape on his own merits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sjs00 posted:

which manga reader site comment section did you copy this from

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Reiner is a great, nuanced charater and I hope we see him get kicked in the face more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I like Reiner and am glad he's around even though him surviving that one battle with the thunder spears was total bullshit
Reiner is going to survive literally everything and that's great.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Reiner's absolutely going to live and it's gonna be so loving funny.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Badass: being a child soldier who mass murders thousands of people on orders of the occupiers and dissociates so hard to avoid confronting it he forgets his mission

Coward: an adult who is overwhelmed with guilt from the incredible amount of blood on his hands

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Reiner is the best. After all his done and been, only a true psychopath or an idiot (Bert) would no be completely broken inside

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Okay I guess I misread his character. It does make sense that he's crushed by his actions. But what I dislike is that he's still alive, and unredeemed. He needs to either redeem himself, somehow, or commit self righteous suicide and pass his Titan ability to someone who will do something with it instead of mope around pointlessly.
For example, every time the Titan shifters fight and Reiner is present, but :cry::cry::cry::cry: rather than doing something, whether that is to kill Eren/Armin/Levi, recover the Coordinate/Colossal Titan etc. Specifically the scene in Marley with Eren's big surprise attack; Reiner utterly defeated inside that cell really drove home that feeling of, yeah, he's crushed by guilt into inaction. This chapter with Jean finally punching the poo poo out of him over Marco's death didn't feel cathartic; it's been years since that particular event.
What's next for his character?
I want him to finally sack up and sacrifice himself in the final confrontation with Eren in a totally satisfying fashion; barring that have his power given to Falco/Gabi etc. I really don't want the series to end with him a shriveled husk who just couldn't get over himself/ wasn't given justice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
have you ever been through severe emotional or psychological trauma

it super doesn't work like peter pan, you don't just think I Can Fly I Can Fly I Can Fly, you don't just bootstraps out of mental breakdowns let alone aiding and abetting genocide or murdering your comrades

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Reiner dying in some "heroic sacrifice" (as if such things actually existed) would ruin the entire point of him growing out of his fascist mentality.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

replace the gundam in that war is bad/wow cool robot meme with a titan and you get this conversation

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I hope they keep in line with the surprising (by manga standards) realism of people's outcomes and have Reiner end his days as a forgotten veteran doped up and bumming in the streets of district Maria. Not that I want that for him, but I appreciate when media actually acknowledges how lovely the circumstances that a lot of vets get after their fighting days suffering from PTSD and various other ailments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I hope they keep in line with the surprising (by manga standards) realism of people's outcomes and have Reiner end his days as a forgotten veteran doped up and bumming in the streets of district Maria. Not that I want that for him, but I appreciate when media actually acknowledges how lovely the circumstances that a lot of vets get after their fighting days suffering from PTSD and various other ailments.

He’s actually going to die soon no matter what (unless Erin takes the titan out of his body somehow) due to butting up against the shifter time limit.