Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most use the same ranges over and over, and are generally logged in robo blocklists these days. My app turned itself off so I've had a few sneak through, but now it's back on again I won't get any. Unless you're expecting a call from a new number, screen them anyway and let voicemail do it's job.

What app do you use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use nomorobo on my iPhone. $1.99 a month but I think there was a trial. Always been happy enough with it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

computer angel posted:

The debt collectors who have mistaken me for a woman named Nadia are blowing up my phone again. The last agent I spoke to said the reason they think I am Nadia is that she called using my number to their office several times last week. I've had my number for 10 years, not sure what's going on.

Nadia spoofed your number just like they spoof theirs.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Volmarias posted:

Nadia spoofed your number just like they spoof theirs.

Yeah that's what I tried to tell them but they kept saying they knew I was Nadia and that I was lying lol. How does a layperson spoof a number?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer angel posted:

Yeah that's what I tried to tell them but they kept saying they knew I was Nadia and that I was lying lol. How does a layperson spoof a number?

This and many places online suggest that you may have to file a complaint with the FTC and or your state attorney general.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

computer angel posted:

Yeah that's what I tried to tell them but they kept saying they knew I was Nadia and that I was lying lol.

hint: because 99% of people aren't smart enough to spoof a number, so it's perfectly reasonable for them to assume that the caller ID is accurate.

There's a "dealing with debt collectors" thread in BFC:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

Ask around there, someone might be familiar with how to get these guys to knock it off.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This and many places online suggest that you may have to file a complaint with the FTC and or your state attorney general.

Right on, I'm Canadian but thanks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer angel posted:

Right on, I'm Canadian but thanks.

:doh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

computer angel posted:

They don't, they just assume that you're lying if you claim to not be who they're looking for. All they want is blood from a stone and they don't care how they get it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Volmarias posted:

They don't, they just assume that you're lying if you claim to not be who they're looking for. All they want is blood from a stone and they don't care how they get it.

Oh absolutely, like the collectors who phoned me a few years ago and when I mentioned I had just moved in and had nothing to do with the previous tenants tried to convince me that as I lived there now, I owed the debt. (It was their utility bill)

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 27, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Everyone is dumb enough to get phished sometimes.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Red Oktober posted:

Oh absolutely, like the collectors who phoned me a few years ago and when I mentioned I had just moved in and had nothing to do with the previous tenants tried to convince me that as I lived there now, I owed the debt. (It was their utility bill)

This happened to us with a £2400 bill but luckily they were stupid enough to put some of their lies in writing so we ended up with a £67 bill and £600 compensation. Thanks, EDF!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sanford posted:

This happened to us with a £2400 bill but luckily they were stupid enough to put some of their lies in writing so we ended up with a £67 bill and £600 compensation. Thanks, EDF!

Astonishingly, a single day after I posted about it in this thread, this morning I received a cheque for £3.50 because the payment we did make was “miscalculated”. Come August it will be ten years since the payment was made. Imagine if it was an amount of money you cared about!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Bad Paper is an awesome book and goes into some of this debt collection scam stuff. Really opened my eyes to the DC industry and the giant scam it is.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone who can say "I was upset at first, but then I remembered it was only money" about losing $400,000 needs to lose far more than that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Some scammers are going pro it looks like

quote:

An army of more more than 200 fake “traders” based in Ukraine have been persuading victims all over the world to part with their savings, according to a whistleblower from the operation who describes it as a huge investment scam.

British and Australian victims of a sophisticated enterprise were apparently lured by fake ads posted on Facebook and mobile phone games featuring celebrities such as Gordon Ramsay, Hugh Jackman and the moneysaving expert Martin Lewis.

After responding to the ads, the whistleblower alleges that unsuspecting victims were contacted by call-centre workers operating in a building in the heart of Kyiv’s business district, promising lucrative investment opportunities.

But the investments in bitcoin, commodities and foreign currencies all appear to be fake, as do the follow-up calls from companies telling victims that they could help them recover the losses.

Details of the operation have been leaked by a whistleblower who provided the Swedish daily newspaper Dagens Nyheter with secretly filmed footage, internal company documents and testimony about its practices. The material has been seen by the Guardian and other partners in the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP).

According to the whistleblower, the fraudulent investment operation made $70m (£55m) last year. The information he supplied also suggests that:

• Victims of the scam were persuaded to install software on their computers and phones that gave fraudsters access to their bank details.

• Accounts were faked showing huge returns to encourage people to trust the company and invest more.

• Fake traders were disparaging about their victims in internal company postings, repeatedly remarking how they had “hosed” unsuspecting investors.

• Members of the “retention” team at the firm, which was tasked with making 300 calls a day to extract more money from investors, were rewarded by commission-based payments according to how much money they persuaded victims to hand over.

The whistleblower said the purpose of the retentions department, which he worked in, was to “squeeze the money” from clients until they were down to “the last cent”. He added: “It’s money from accounts, it’s money from their wages, even they push the clients to borrow money from the banks.”

more here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/revealed-fake-traders-allegedly-prey-on-victims-in-global-investment-scam

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know if it was a scam but the Xbox 360 and its red ring of death failures were really something. I can't remember a more disastrous product failure and I guess the real scam was how Microsoft continued to denied it was an actual problem. I think there was a class action suit.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know if it was a scam but the Xbox 360 and its red ring of death failures were really something. I can't remember a more disastrous product failure and I guess the real scam was how Microsoft continued to denied it was an actual problem. I think there was a class action suit.

Wouldn't Theranos count as a more disastrous failure?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Investors lost $700 million on Theranos, while Microsoft estimated that the RRoD failures cost them $1.15 billion.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If Microsoft’s Xbox decision was run like Theranos, they would have just put a PlayStation in a custom case, overwrote the boot loader with some sweet chip tunes, and ripped and sold PS games as their own and called that the Xbox 360.

Depending on your POV, that might have been the smarter move.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Wouldn't Theranos count as a more disastrous failure?

Yes because unlike literally everything Theranos did the Xbox 360 actually worked most of the time. The Xbox was an actual, functional product that did as advertised it just had a pretty wicked flaw. Theranos, on the other hand, never had anything that actually worked other than Elizabeth Holmes' ability to commit massive amounts of fraud.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Theranos was really effective at taking old white guys money.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Theranos was a Ponzi scheme with extra steps.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite part about the whole Theranos fiasco is that after it all came to light and Holmes got charged she hired a big expensive team of super lawyers to defend her, but then a couple months later the legal team filed with the judge a statement to the effect of "Holmes hasn't paid us and we honestly have no reason to think that she's ever going to pay us, so please give us permission not to defend her any more" and the judge let them walk. :lol:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So how long until Trump appoints her to run his health care overhaul?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

He only likes grifters who don't get caught consequences

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Volmarias posted:

He only likes grifters who are men

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Not so, he's placed Betsey DeVos as the secretary of education!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Volmarias posted:

Not so, he's placed Betsey DeVos as the secretary of education!

Schools are lady things and plus she’s a gazillionaire, which Holmes is not anymore.

Similarly, Elaine Chao is a gazillionaire and also married to Mitch McConnell :smithicide:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Friends nearly fell for the "house sold by someone who has nothing to do with the property owner" setup a few days ago. Their landlord told them last week that she wanted to sell the property so they have until mid-April to find a new home. So they've been looking around and it's kinda hard to find a room for a couple with a teen girl + a friend of the family on short notice. They thought they'd found a wonderful place that was closer to work, near a lot of stuff they wanted and near a school for the teen daughter to go to next year...only to find out the guy "renting" the house was a scammer/didn't exist.

They got suspicious when they arrived and he wasn't there to meet them. The big realtor lock on the front door was open so they went in, looked around and it was a real nice place just as it had been described to them but when they called the number on the lock they were told that no person of such-and-such name had permission to rent out the property or had ever been a past leaseholder.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

Schools are lady things and plus she’s a gazillionaire, which Holmes is not anymore.

Similarly, Elaine Chao is a gazillionaire and also married to Mitch McConnell :smithicide:

There's a reason Kentucky keeps getting sweet rear end DOT projects.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt DeVos 's brother(inlaw??) (who's also the prez/ceo of that warcrimes PMC company) invest in Theranos ?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

wasnt DeVos 's brother(inlaw??) (who's also the prez/ceo of that warcrimes PMC company) invest in Theranos ?

Eric Prince is Betsy DeVos' brother. She married into the DeVos family, which owns Amway. Their father was an auto industry man who patented the car visor light, among other things. It was a Michigan failchild nobility marriage.

Betsy DeVos was one of the biggest investors in Theranos so Eric Prince probably got roped in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Since I live for this sort of poo poo, cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread

Mephiston posted:

So a lot of you are aware who Jim Browning is, as I believe he was mentioned earlier in the thread along with the likes of Kitboga. For those who don't know, he's a Youtuber who exposes scammers in hilarious fashion. Recently, he has been busy targetting one scam center in India, to the point of where he managed to download 70,000+ calls from the place, and access their CCTV.

He gave the footage and information over to an english documentary program called Panorama, and they did a piece on it, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmvhwwiQAY

This exposure ended up getting the call center owner arrested, and the place was raided by Indian police.

It's about as much schadenfreude as it is justice, imo.

Part 1 of Jim Browning's video can be found here. It's worth a watch and goes into more depth about it all.

I'd love to see a similar hidden camera, deep dive thing done on MLM's.

I've considered trying it myself - pretending to be a yuppie self driven entrepreneur who wants to work for himself and seeing how much footage I can get to expose those creeps. But that would take a lot of time and probably some "play money" that I don't have. Bet it'd be fun though.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 8, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Since I live for this sort of poo poo, cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread

I've considered trying it myself - pretending to be a yuppie self driven entrepreneur who wants to work for himself and seeing how much footage I can get to expose those creeps. But that would take a lot of time and probably some "play money" that I don't have. Bet it'd be fun though.

There have been a bunch of “expose the huckster” shows, articles, and podcasts about MLMs and nothing ever changes. If you want to do it because it makes you feel like some kind of badass undercover cop knock yourself out, but don’t expect to get a Pulitzer Prize or invitation to testify in front of Congress or anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

There have been a bunch of “expose the huckster” shows, articles, and podcasts about MLMs and nothing ever changes. If you want to do it because it makes you feel like some kind of badass undercover cop knock yourself out, but don’t expect to get a Pulitzer Prize or invitation to testify in front of Congress or anything.

Jesus, man. No. I just like the idea of exposing creeps :shrug:

If I had the time and money it'd be a lot more rewarding and a better use of my time than the lovely job I work at.

I'm no badass or whatever you said. God drat. Guess you put me in my place though.

EDIT: Also, if you have the sort of undercover MLM dives I'd like to see besides the 20/20 thing and all the YT vids that just offer testimonials, I'd be interested to see some good ones if you can link me to something. I'm talking about vids where people record meetings, pitches, those conferences and poo poo like that because most of what I can find is just people in front of a camera saying "don't do and MLM" and couple of podcasts.

Or you can just insult me some more. Either way is fine.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 9, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus, man. No. I just like the idea of exposing creeps :shrug:

If I had the time and money it'd be a lot more rewarding and a better use of my time than the lovely job I work at.

I'm no badass or whatever you said. God drat. Guess you put me in my place though.

EDIT: Also, if you have the sort of undercover MLM dives I'd like to see besides the 20/20 thing and all the YT vids that just offer testimonials, I'd be interested to see some good ones if you can link me to something. I'm talking about vids where people record meetings, pitches, those conferences and poo poo like that because most of what I can find is just people in front of a camera saying "don't do and MLM" and couple of podcasts.

Or you can just insult me some more. Either way is fine.

This seems to have what you’re looking for: https://youtu.be/wyCRzBt7GuY

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

This seems to have what you’re looking for: https://youtu.be/wyCRzBt7GuY

Thanks. I'd actually seen that one before.

On another note, these rear end in a top hat televangelists really grind my loving gears; probably even more than MLM hucksters.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1237060844300701698

Bakker and Peter Popoff (who was exposed by James Randi) both went to prison and somehow can still convince rubes to buy their stupid bullshit products. People are loving morons.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

BiggerBoat posted:

In the U.S.A we reward them!

"Betsy Devos secretary of education" : wife of Amway CEO, her dad was blackwater's CEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks. I'd actually seen that one before.

On another note, these rear end in a top hat televangelists really grind my loving gears; probably even more than MLM hucksters.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1237060844300701698

Bakker and Peter Popoff (who was exposed by James Randi) both went to prison and somehow can still convince rubes to buy their stupid bullshit products. People are loving morons.

The sort of person who believed them before saw the conviction as vindication for just how right they are and that the state is trying to hold him back. So no people aren't loving morons they're worse than that.