Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rudecyrus posted:

40 hours, with 100% completion taking around 90 hours.

From what I've been reading, this first part alone will be 50-60 hours.
This is great for part one at least because Midgar is like the coolest part of the entire game and a really cool setting in general. I wish most of the game could've taken place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc the latest trailer literally intros the crossdressing bit by having a character look into the camera and more or less say "being pretty is Good As Hell, no matter what junk is in your trunk," so I imagine that they are at least trying

I had faith they were going to keep the part where Cloud's recognized as the hottest girl of the group.

I'm more wondering how they're going to handle his mental breakdown later in the game. I'm pretty sure he loses it and starts punching Aeris/th at one point but I don't remember when I'm the game that was exactly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I had faith they were going to keep the part where Cloud's recognized as the hottest girl of the group.

I'm more wondering how they're going to handle his mental breakdown later in the game. I'm pretty sure he loses it and starts punching Aeris/th at one point but I don't remember when I'm the game that was exactly.

Temple of the Ancients, right before she peaces out with an implicit "Yeah, I'm done with you, please get help and don't look for me."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Though The Missing wasn't wasn't very batshit and it was probably his best game.

Any game with genuine sympathetic messages toward transpeople and similar is still crazy in this world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Temple of the Ancients, right before she peaces out with an implicit "Yeah, I'm done with you, please get help and don't look for me."

Again, fuzzy on FF7 plot, that's before he shuts down and ends up in a wheelchair for 7 hours right? I think he fell into the LifeStream and that was what did it?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Again, fuzzy on FF7 plot, that's before he shuts down and ends up in a wheelchair for 7 hours right? I think he fell into the LifeStream and that was what did it?

It happens well before that part.

She's well and truly dead for the better part of a disc by that point. They turn the temple into the BM and seph messes with cloud to give it to him. Aerith tries to stop him and he goes nuts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RareAcumen posted:

It's after Sephiroth controls him to hand over the black materia - I think the game already communicates fairly well that it's not Cloud doing it by displaying his consciousness separately during the sequence, it's just a matter of how they handle displaying the physical act of violence in modern high definition. The original masks it by having crude graphics displayed at the bottom of a pit the camera is set to look down into and if it weren't for the hitting sounds you'd probably be left completely in the dark about what even happened.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, the entire Castle Super Beast discussion about EVERYTHING that happens in FF7(there's a lot more than you remember, guaranteed) touched on that, do you really get in there and show him just loving bludgeoning aerith in that scene or hide it in shadow somehow?

edit: this is literally over 30 minutes of them just remembering more and more and more bullshit that happens in ff7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSD04XALY4&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 5, 2020

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, the entire Castle Super Beast discussion about EVERYTHING that happens in FF7(there's a lot more than you remember, guaranteed) touched on that, do you really get in there and show him just loving bludgeoning aerith in that scene or hide it in shadow somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSD04XALY4&hd=1

My guess is they'll probably change it to a choke, it seems to be media's "acceptable" form of violence against women.

Or maybe Nomura will just go all in and show the whole thing, they've proven they're not afraid of changing things but they might want to retain the shock value of the moment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alacron posted:

My guess is they'll probably change it to a choke, it seems to be media's "acceptable" form of violence against women.

Or maybe Nomura will just go all in and show the whole thing, they've proven they're not afraid of changing things but they might want to retain the shock value of the moment.
granted it's been like 15 years since I played it last but I feel like that scene was him just going NUTS on aerith, screaming(as much as a mute character can scream) and flailing, I don't think it'd be well portrayed by shinji-choking her or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure he loses it and starts punching Aeris/th at one point but I don't remember when I'm the game that was exactly.

I’m really curious how they handle stuff like this in the remake. It’s a really shocking and upsetting scene even with the layer of abstraction provided by the cutesy overworld models and lack of voice acting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

(there's a lot more than you remember, guaranteed)

For being such a pivotal RPG in there's a ton of poo poo about the game that was either forgotten or just overlooked.

Like, forget punching Aeris, the scene at the glacier is ambiguous enough to imply that it was Cloud who summoned Meteor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It's after Sephiroth controls him to hand over the black materia - I think the game already communicates fairly well that it's not Cloud doing it by displaying his consciousness separately during the sequence, it's just a matter of how they handle displaying the physical act of violence in modern high definition. The original masks it by having crude graphics displayed at the bottom of a pit the camera is set to look down into and if it weren't for the hitting sounds you'd probably be left completely in the dark about what even happened.

Ah shoot, I remembered that they were there for the Black Materia when ACES CURE PLANES mentioned Temple of the Ancients but I forgot that was Sephiroth controlling him to hand it over and attacking her.

Schwarzwald posted:

For being such a pivotal RPG in there's a ton of poo poo about the game that was either forgotten or just overlooked.

I'm fairly certain there's a part in Midgar where you're riding dolphins to leap over power lines or something?

Haven't thought about FF7's story in a while. FF6 on the other hand I remember the gently caress out of. I hope with how much money they're throwing at thing that they can get good assistance for developing/designing the minigames.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are just so many bizarre, surreal mini games and events in FF7 that come out of nowhere I swear the remake is gonna end up feeling like a Yakuza game.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Augus posted:

There are just so many bizarre, surreal mini games and events in FF7 that come out of nowhere I swear the remake is gonna end up feeling like a Yakuza game.

They could set a Yakuza game in Midgar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Augus posted:

I’m really curious how they handle stuff like this in the remake. It’s a really shocking and upsetting scene even with the layer of abstraction provided by the cutesy overworld models and lack of voice acting.
And the giant mascot showing up yelling "hey hope I'm not interrupting anything lmao"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'm fairly certain there's a part in Midgar where you're riding dolphins to leap over power lines or something?

This is how you sneak into Junon from below, right after a minigame where you perform CPR on a teenage girl

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Maximilian Dood's FF7 demo playthrough is nearly 2 hours long lol

https://youtu.be/xY1Hq-EFbFg

It's so in depth about things too! I'd never even heard of the Compilation of FF7 before this video!

Also had completely forgotten that Shinra blew up the reactor as well because of course I'm gonna forget about a few text boxes of dialogue every year.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to see how they handle Cloud being mantrain'd by a bunch of burly mustached body builders in a hot tub in HD.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

https://youtu.be/xY1Hq-EFbFg

It's so in depth about things too! I'd never even heard of the Compilation of FF7 before this video!

Also had completely forgotten that Shinra blew up the reactor as well because of course I'm gonna forget about a few text boxes of dialogue every year.

Shinra blowing the reactor in the original was, at best, extremely ambiguous. The only hint that something went wrong was a single line of optional dialogue that makes it sound more like Jessie goofed at making the bomb and overloaded the charges

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oxxidation posted:

Shinra blowing the reactor in the original was, at best, extremely ambiguous. The only hint that something went wrong was a single line of optional dialogue that makes it sound more like Jessie goofed at making the bomb and overloaded the charges

Now Jessie’s biggest character trait is “thirsty for cloud”

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope they change it so that the Sector 7 disaster is the fault Shinra directly. It's bizarre as hell how the Turks are let off the hook for the tragedy which is eventually forgotten about. "Hey man I'm not sorry I slaughtered your entire family in a hit. I was paid to do it. You wanna go bowling?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah but I also want them to double down on the Turks just being doing a job.

Let us encounter them off the clock more for the sheer silliness of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hope they change it so that the Sector 7 disaster is the fault Shinra directly. It's bizarre as hell how the Turks are let off the hook for the tragedy which is eventually forgotten about. "Hey man I'm not sorry I slaughtered your entire family in a hit. I was paid to do it. You wanna go bowling?"

it’s the compilation that made the Turks goofy, the original game at best kept them at the level of black comedy. they’re workaday salaryman types who commit war crimes as a day job, that’s the joke

iirc you only get the option to let them go at the end if you completed the wutai quest and built up a rapport with them, and even then it’s not so much letting them off the hook as both parties deciding they’ve got bigger things to deal with

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

bobjr posted:

That was pretty much always true, she’s just more open and confident about it now. Less “nerd hoping to entice guy via nerdiness” and more “rough and tumble terrorist girl”

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghostlight posted:

I imagine they're going to do more than just a basic punching animation over. My guess is that he's going to pull out the Buster Sword and start lunging at her with it while just being mind-broken as she dodges him, maybe getting clipped, and then Cid is gonna jump and be like "what the hell're you doing, ya goddamn psycho!?"

bobjr posted:

Jessie was *always* thirsty for Cloud. Heck, remember the scene when he jumps onto the train? She's depressed that he might be gone, and when he shows up, she's super relieved and then cleans up his face for him before going over the security system. She screwed up his security card for the train specifically because she was trying to make it cool and special for him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leal posted:

I want to see how they handle Cloud being mantrain'd by a bunch of burly mustached body builders in a hot tub in HD.

When reading about the demo I saw a linked article that suggested the Honey Bee Inn has been completely rewritten due to the controversies of the original. Whether that's true or hearsay, who's to say, but if you want to see Cloud being railed by burly men you don't have to wait for the remake when fanart exists.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I’ve heard anecdotes over the years suggesting Wall Market is more-or-less accurate to the Tokyo gay scene circa 1990, although I’ve never been able to find confirmation or a deep dive about it.

So honestly it’d be pretty cool if they simply tweaked it to be accurate to the Tokyo scene of the mid-2010s

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Takoluka posted:

I imagine they're going to do more than just a basic punching animation over. My guess is that he's going to pull out the Buster Sword and start lunging at her with it while just being mind-broken as she dodges him, maybe getting clipped, and then Cid is gonna jump and be like "what the hell're you doing, ya goddamn psycho!?"

Jessie was *always* thirsty for Cloud. Heck, remember the scene when he jumps onto the train? She's depressed that he might be gone, and when he shows up, she's super relieved and then cleans up his face for him before going over the security system. She screwed up his security card for the train specifically because she was trying to make it cool and special for him.

Yeah, really it just seems to be something they embellished with the background banter they’ve thrown in. Heck, I’m also half-sure that Jessie asking Cloud if her and Tifa are close was in the PS1 version.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So Nostalgia Critic reviewed the first Sam Raimi Spiderman movie...In it, he's genuinely confused by A: people screaming when they're about to die, and B: people crying after they lose loved ones...He really doesn't understand basic human emotions... :psyduck:

Heres a thread riffing on it https://twitter.com/DawsonEJoyce/status/1235340341563228160

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil 2 was the perfect game to remake because it's a Die Hard: It's set in a handful of locations, a small cast of character, and a campaign that's no longer than 8 hours but encourages replay.

Honestly I wish there was Resident Evil style-game aimed at a younger audience. Replace the zombies with ghosts, the zombies with a camera, take out the boss-fights, keep the map-clearing, and layer as much horrific subtext as you can get away with in a Teen rating. I'm sure the above has been done already, but I'm talking about it with a third-person camera, non-lovely combat, and non-tedious item-mangaement.

I did enjoy the Scary Tales to Tell in Dark movie because it was horror aimed at a younger audience without compromising on it's grotesque gore. It also wasn't six hours long like the IT movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The FFVII remake is way better than my wildest hopes

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Honestly I wish there was Resident Evil style-game aimed at a younger audience. Replace the zombies with ghosts, the zombies with a camera, take out the boss-fights, keep the map-clearing, and layer as much horrific subtext as you can get away with in a Teen rating. I'm sure the above has been done already, but I'm talking about it with a third-person camera, non-lovely combat, and non-tedious item-mangaement.

i also miss the Fatal Frame series

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Lmao they aren't cancelling the Seattle comiccon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isn’t “Resident Evil for kids” just Luigi’s Mansion?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

Lmao they aren't cancelling the Seattle comiccon

Con Crud, but deadly this time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The FF VII remake has me cautiously optimistic. I just hope they do Cloud as the (fake) snarky badass and not the emo poo poo he became in the expanded lore, and aeris as the sweet but tough slums girl and not the meek avatar of purity that also somehow happened.

Also, it may have been because I watched Woolie's play of the demo, but the boss fight felt like a bit of a slog. It had what, 5 different stages? Don't know if he was failing at it, if the bosses are overlong battles, or even if they added some HP in the demo to pad the epic part a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pat took it down in under ten minutes I think.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

SGF has FFVII Remake video as well and it took him about 9 minutes to take the boss down. Just scanning through Woolie's video without really watching, it looks like it took him about 15 minutes but I can see at least some of that comes from being in the menus as they talk about mechanics.

Even 9 minutes seems a bit of a slog for an action boss though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Yeah, the boss felt really long, probably took me around 10 minutes on my first run, but I think that's, in part, to push players into figuring out the actual combat mechanics, managing action points, using magic, using items, and all that. I tried it a second time on Classic (which sets HP and damage to Easy) and blew through phases fast enough that the transition animations got wonky.

I personally lost a ton of time to hitting the shield generator from the wrong direction and/or having trouble locking on to it for basic attacks. It might just have been my hands trying to default to Dark Souls controls, but target selection definitely didn't feel quite right.

On the whole I'm still a bit lukewarm on the combat just because micromanagement on Normal felt a bit messy, but on Classic combat as a whole was just way too easy, with opponents folding over if you so much as glance in their direction with a special move.