Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shoren posted:

I do find it a bit weird, when you stop to think about things, how story-wise the player character is written with essentially an unerring moral compass. That's the only way something like The Division could possibly work and why it could never work in real life. Everything and everyone else are various shades of gray with most leaning toward black. Even Keener, for all his mustache-twirling, didn't exactly go rogue simply because it was more fun or profitable. There's even an audio recording where he talks about living in a studio apartment in SoHo prior to being activated and manipulating the super rich to spend their money investing in things that help the little guy. The Division definitely did a lot of good, but as we see with the rogue agents it could have just went straight to complete tyranny, too.

I mean, welcome to Tom Clancey- branded poo poo. Go read any of the Jack Ryan books he wrote. His whole thing is "hard men doing tough things working in the gray areas that those drat libs don't trust them to work in but for the RIGHT reasons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lagidnam posted:

If you are in need for some better stat roles for your library, just change the global difficulty to Heroic. Then go and do some "Target Practice" events. The reward will be an item that matches the targeted loot for the zone with heroic difficulty stats.

They totally gonna nerf that.

Not necessarily. You still need to capture control points to start spawning friendly events. But a further tip regarding Target Practice events: the last time I checked failing them once still gives you the reward as if you beat it, then you can do it again right away and actually complete it to get another reward. You get three tries before it despawns but failing it twice doesn’t get you anything.

However I’m not sure when the last time I checked was, they may have fixed that part.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I think it might be failing after getting to round 2 or 3, and yeah like a month ago it was still working.

I just hit 40 and am about to go after Keener. Any gearing suggestions? I bought the god-rolled items from the vendors. I was kinda shocked to see the damage rolls going away when I was messing around with crafting. Should I just make myself a police M4 and hope it's got a good talent? Is it worth messing around with skill or gear mods at 40? They all seem extremely underwhelming.

Also, I just wanted to shout out Armor Regen for being an actual thing worth having now. It's a bit annoying but with skill times up and armor kits down it's viable to wait a minute and get healthier. That never felt like an option before (well, with patience I suppose to some extent.)

Someone mentioned the Hard Wired set bonus letting you spam cluster mines by picking up and putting down a hive, but someone else mentioned the set bonuses not working. Can anyone confirm that works? Might be a nice skill build.

Also, I still can't figure out how to rate technician's +1 skill level. On the one hand it absolutely seems weaker than the Skill Point boost. On the other, a level of a core attribute is kind of a big deal now. That could be close to 100k armor on a well rolled defensive attribute, for example... but also I hear people say you need more armor than you'd expect for the endgame so maybe 100k doesn't mean poo poo. Anyone have any strong opinions on Technician these days?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, welcome to Tom Clancey- branded poo poo. Go read any of the Jack Ryan books he wrote. His whole thing is "hard men doing tough things working in the gray areas that those drat libs don't trust them to work in but for the RIGHT reasons"

Like a lot of open world games now, the main story is garbage while some of the side stories and incidentals are really good. The idea behind the Dollar Flu and the resulting chaos is really good, they just had to shove the typical Clancy crap in with an extra judicial military operation that answers to no one but the President.

Your character just being part of the JTF with a background in combat would've been just as fine with some tweaks to the story.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Miss me with that "could have been JTF" bullshit. The JFT are Jabronies, and my division agent is an activated mailman that finally gets to go POSTAL.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Miss me with that "could have been JTF" bullshit. The JFT are Jabronies, and my division agent is an activated mailman that finally gets to go POSTAL.

As the child of a retired letter carrier, I continue to be disappointed that there is no USPS outfit in the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Your character just being part of the JTF with a background in combat would've been just as fine with some tweaks to the story.

Now I can’t stop imagining The Division is just the Green Lanterns and every time one of them dies the watch grows tiny legs and runs off to attach to the wrist of whoever ISAC thinks is worthy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a cool audio log of a couple of tech going over Vivian’s psych evaluation and wether she’d be a good Division candidate. Goes a little into “why the gently caress are we picking these obviously hosed up people”.

Turns out, people are idiots.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As the child of a retired letter carrier, I continue to be disappointed that there is no USPS outfit in the game.

If we didn’t have DZ East there could have been a mission in the Postal Museum

Not having access to all of Capitol Hill is the great crime of the game

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Now I can’t stop imagining The Division is just the Green Lanterns and every time one of them dies the watch grows tiny legs and runs off to attach to the wrist of whoever ISAC thinks is worthy.

Replace Manny with Ryan Reynolds.

I like that they cheaped out on bounties in NY by having Manny tell you you did a good job finishing one instead of Rhodes/Benitez/Kelso. He's still back in DC!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Last night I was slightly drunk and up late and started using google maps to run around and see stuff. The NYC map is legit 1:1 when it comes to buildings on streets and what they look like. I only found a few cool places so far, there’s so many! The FBI headquarters up by the circuit courts was next but the servers shut down.

The NYC police department headquarters got turbofucked:

The US NYC Supreme Courts:

Stated Island ferry:

also thought this was a cool thing I’ve only ever seen in post apocalyptic short films:

https://i.imgur.com/veCaLx5.gifv

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Replace Manny with Ryan Reynolds.

I like that they cheaped out on bounties in NY by having Manny tell you you did a good job finishing one instead of Rhodes/Benitez/Kelso. He's still back in DC!

I just finished the story missions and haven't gotten around do doing any of the events, do you get to reset propaganda speakers to blare Rick Velassi at people?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAUXTON posted:

I just finished the story missions and haven't gotten around do doing any of the events, do you get to reset propaganda speakers to blare Rick Velassi at people?

Yes to the missions, but no to Rick Velassi, at least not yet. So far it's just the Haven guy telling people not to start poo poo in his area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Locator posted:

Yes to the missions, but no to Rick Velassi, at least not yet. So far it's just the Haven guy telling people not to start poo poo in his area.

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Rick's show is the only stable thing in NYC, years later and he's still at the mic breaking brains, they should have him running a settlement at this point

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd be totally on board with The Division 3 being about a regular dude fighting against armies of rogue division agents, capturing and hacking their tech to use against them.

In general though I just turn my brain off to the story. The idea of the Division is totally a fascist power fantasy and it's hilarious that the game tries to ever present it as a good thing. Every character that is skeptical or hostile to the Division is 100% correct to be so, especially with all the rogue agents running around.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 5, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FAUXTON posted:

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Rick's show is the only stable thing in NYC, years later and he's still at the mic breaking brains, they should have him running a settlement at this point

Is it already years? I thought we were in the summer after? Like July/August ish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it already years? I thought we were in the summer after? Like July/August ish.
Yeah, it’s like 8 months after Black Friday.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd be totally on board with The Division 3 being about a regular dude fighting against armies of rogue division agents, capturing and hacking their tech to use against them.

In general though I just turn my brain off to the story. The idea of the Division is totally a fascist power fantasy and it's hilarious that the game tries to ever present it as a good thing. Every character that is skeptical or hostile to the Division is 100% correct to be so, especially with all the rogue agents running around.

It does at least typically present the Division as ineffective at best and a terrible idea at worst, until the player character comes in and shoots things until it’s less hosed up. There’s like three division agents that try to do their jobs in the games, it’s mostly just a faction of boss enemies.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Why are there so many ninja guys in NYC? there were some in DC, but they are everywhere in New York, getting their asses kicked by cleaners, rikers and peace keepers.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Last night I was slightly drunk and up late and started using google maps to run around and see stuff. The NYC map is legit 1:1 when it comes to buildings on streets and what they look like. I only found a few cool places so far, there’s so many! The FBI headquarters up by the circuit courts was next but the servers shut down.

The NYC police department headquarters got turbofucked:

The US NYC Supreme Courts:

Stated Island ferry:

also thought this was a cool thing I’ve only ever seen in post apocalyptic short films:

https://i.imgur.com/veCaLx5.gifv

As a new player and DC resident, I'm super impressed by the accuracy in this game. On one of the very first missions I was like hey, I was there for dinner last weekend. Yup I drove down this street when I went home. The "Viewpoint Museum" is indeed what the Newseum looks like on the inside, right down to the posters/signs emphasizing how important the news is to democracy. Game is great for just running around recognizing poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I meant real time, sort of as a joke because otherwise it wouldn't be as funny. I also haven't heard much of ol' Rick due to focusing on the story missions but does he say anything about the fact that it isn't winter anymore? I remember hearing him say something like "winter shouldn't last this long, something is hosed" in D1

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Incidentally, this is something to consider when complaining that you can't do challenging content right now. It's only been out a few days, I've only been playing sporadically, and I already have paragon SHD lvl 2. I figure that after a few months I'll comfortably have +10% weapon damage and +10% armor at the very least.

So . . . . yeah, that's a thing to consider that they're balancing against. A flat plus ten percent damage is nothing to sneeze at.

this is a good point I hadn't thought about

10% is noticable when I equip Fenris and my AR suddenly starts doing better, now having that globally? On top of Fenris? Yeah, that's the good stuff.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Kesper North posted:

I live smack dab in the middle of a Seattle neighborhood the New York Times recently called "the center of an epidemic of illness and fear", so naturally this game drops now and I am playing it.

Do you have a gun? DOES YOUR NEIGHBOR?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bamhand posted:

As a new player and DC resident, I'm super impressed by the accuracy in this game. On one of the very first missions I was like hey, I was there for dinner last weekend. Yup I drove down this street when I went home. The "Viewpoint Museum" is indeed what the Newseum looks like on the inside, right down to the posters/signs emphasizing how important the news is to democracy. Game is great for just running around recognizing poo poo.

I think I remember that they took a handful of shortcuts in Div 1 to make things fit, and DC/Warlords is a 1:1 replica. My NY internet buddy was showing off his old apartment, his wife's work building, and a ton of good falaffel places.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think I remember that they took a handful of shortcuts in Div 1 to make things fit, and DC/Warlords is a 1:1 replica. My NY internet buddy was showing off his old apartment, his wife's work building, and a ton of good falaffel places.

Somebody earlier posted about a possible hunter encounter in a coffee shop by rector at and I was like “oh, that’s the Dunkin’ Donuts I used to go to” and I fast travelled to trinity church and navigated there from memory. It was insane, I don’t think I’ve ever had a game trip that automatic knowledge of how to get somewhere before.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Division story is awful for a lot of reasons, but a big one for me is how they try to have their cake and eat it too

They present you as a supertech supersoldier who is all super do-gooder and can beat down all the Very Bad Men And Women to save the poor suffering masses

And then in the various side content, they also try to present the idea of the Division as a loving terrible idea, and tapdance around the realities of a post-lethal-pandemic-pseudo-apocalypse world

So you get this incredible tonal dissonance where all the main story missions are 'GREAT JOB AGENT, YOU KILLED THE BAD <MAN/WOMAN> AND HELPED <SAVE/REBUILD> THE <PLACE/THING>'

And then a ton of the side story audio logs and some side missions and other various ambiance are telling a very different story, that the Division is another flavor of True Sons or Black Tusk or Last Man Battalion, with individuals utilizing the super tech and connections to do awful things alongside other awful people

Also see all the hemming and hawing about 'It's not political' prior to release. Please. It's a loving Tom Clancy flavored technothriller set in Washington loving D.C., in the aftermath of a terrorist attack on New York City, America, and the rest of the world.

I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy the staggeringly good world building their art and design teams created :shobon: I played Div1 for the first time around Div2 launch and still thought it was amazing, they loving nailed the atmosphere, and if you've been to NY or DC, exploring the games is a real treat.

Plus, you know, the shoots is fun.

(also going back to New York was the cowardly story choice, but I don't get any sense that they really have a unified direction for the big story beats, Div 2 'ending' was a wet fart, and Warlords ending... eh, let's give people some more time to get through it before spoilers etc)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

victrix posted:

Also see all the hemming and hawing about 'It's not political' prior to release. Please. It's a loving Tom Clancy flavored technothriller set in Washington loving D.C., in the aftermath of a terrorist attack on New York City, America, and the rest of the world.
that was just the company line. their promo stuff included a press release from the Mexican government talking about how they had to close the border off to dangerous American refugees until they could figure out what's going on

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

if I remember right it was a Red Storm employee tasked with saying that line and since then has Red Storm done anything with Division? It seems like it's been all Massive.

sacrificial PR lamb, that's cold

anyway the first game did a better job of establishing the "hm maybe this isn't a perfect good" while still placing the player in the "good guy" faction and it's no surprise WONY handles it better than basegame Division 2 because instead of Manny just saying "go get em sheriff" and "gently caress!" all the time, you have actual dialogue between characters with different viewpoints (i.e. the NYC crew and Kelso)

what I'm really getting at is that Manny was a complete waste of a character. The drone operator (Cindy McAllister!) is significantly better than he is.

in fact why can't we bring her to WONY? She already did more for us on Coney Island than Manny ever did in DC!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Somebody earlier posted about a possible hunter encounter in a coffee shop by rector at and I was like “oh, that’s the Dunkin’ Donuts I used to go to” and I fast travelled to trinity church and navigated there from memory. It was insane, I don’t think I’ve ever had a game trip that automatic knowledge of how to get somewhere before.

DC had moments like that for me, like going past a place I stumbled into one morning to buy bagels. We're likely not getting it now but I'd love a map expansion north into Dupont Circle or east into Noma. The mall is cool and all, full of iconic places, but the Division's really strongest in places where people live; this is something both NYC maps have practically by default and I think it's important.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Roman posted:

that was just the company line. their promo stuff included a press release from the Mexican government talking about how they had to close the border off to dangerous American refugees until they could figure out what's going on

Also the recording about "president waller" blaming russia and dying of a heart attack

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

victrix posted:

Division story is awful for a lot of reasons, but a big one for me is how they try to have their cake and eat it too

Yeah that's pretty much all Ubisoft games that have an element of politics in the story - they water it down with so much "both sides" poo poo, make the bad guys do absurdly awful poo poo and the good guys obviously in the right, and then pepper with with a ton of meaningless "gray area" stuff like the logs showing how the big bad isn't actually SO bad a guy, for real!!!! and how the division is simultaneously the savior and responsible for the worst parts of the tragedy.

It feels like someone wrote an initial story with clear political overtones, and then someone else came in and added things until it was muddled enough you couldn't tell what it was trying to say anymore, and then shoehorned in a throughline for a politically-blank protagonist to wipe the slate clean. Still, you're left with moments they can't erase, like the fact you're running around shooting gang members on sight before you've seen them do anything wrong. Sure, they're murderous spree killers openly wielding weapons, and sure, they're all a mix of genders and races, but you're still shooting people on sight in the middle of an American city only based on the fact they have a red arrow over their had and not a green one.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2196379-Maintenance-March-6th-2020

UBISOFT posted:

Greetings Agents,

The servers will shut down for unscheduled maintenance on Friday, March 6th at 09:30 AM CET / 03:30 AM EST / 00:30 AM PST to deploy several fixes.

Estimated downtime is approximately 3 hours.

You can find the maintenance notes below. We're still verifying all the fixes that will be deployed tomorrow and we will update you during the maintenance window.

Fixed an issue causing Aaron Keener to behave odd when being affected by EMP.
Fixed an issue that caused ECHOs to not be interactable.
Fixed an issue where the Control Point Officer UI would not appear after interaction.
Fixed an issue that prevented players to talk to Kelso.
Fixed an additional issue that could prevent players from interacting with Community Leaders.
Fixed an issue causing the IWI Negev doing ~50% more damage than intended.
Fixed an issue where players were unable to unlock an area if they did not open the Safe House door themselves.
Fixed an issue that caused Specialization Points to not be awarded when leveling up between 31-40 and for all SHD level-ups.
Fixed an issue with certain new Warlords of New York Skill Mods not dropping.
Fixed several issues causing server crashes.
Fixed an issue causing the Bullet King weapon to not drop from the final boss in Riker’s missions.
Fixed an issue causing attributes to not appear in the UI when looking at Masks and other certain items in the Inventory.
Fixed an issue causing the Nemesis quest parts not being obtainable.
Fixed an issue causing Warhounds to sometimes do wacky things. Like flying. Can you imagine how scary they are when they are flying?
Fixed an issue causing an NPC to be stuck in the Hugh Carey Tunnel mission.

Balance adjustments:
We will be adjusting the loot quality in the Dark Zone with tomorrow's maintenance. When we made changes to the loot quality internally before Warlords of New York launched, we wanted to adjust heroic difficulty loot for missions.

When doing so the loot quality in the DZ also was changed, as the difficulty reflects heroic level missions.
But the Dark Zone loot quality had already been adjusted up before, which meant it double dipped with the change and therefore is currently higher than we intended it to be.

With the change tomorrow, loot quality and the number of god-rolls in the Dark Zone will be reduced and it will be on par with challenging-level missions’ difficulty

Please follow this thread for any updates as the maintenance progresses.

Thank you for your patience,

/The Division Team

RIP best gun in the game. LOL, you look at twitch right now like 99% of them are using this gun. RPM of a Police M4, DMG of a fast firing DMR, and as much rounds available as an m60 and more with attachments, lol.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
As an ordained saint my weapons and actions cannot hurt the innocent.

Explosive barrels next to the innocent, however...

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

victrix posted:

They present you as a supertech supersoldier who is all super do-gooder and can beat down all the Very Bad Men And Women to save the poor suffering masses

And then in the various side content, they also try to present the idea of the Division as a loving terrible idea, and tapdance around the realities of a post-lethal-pandemic-pseudo-apocalypse world

So you get this incredible tonal dissonance where all the main story missions are 'GREAT JOB AGENT, YOU KILLED THE BAD <MAN/WOMAN> AND HELPED <SAVE/REBUILD> THE <PLACE/THING>'

And then a ton of the side story audio logs and some side missions and other various ambiance are telling a very different story, that the Division is another flavor of True Sons or Black Tusk or Last Man Battalion, with individuals utilizing the super tech and connections to do awful things alongside other awful people

I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy the staggeringly good world building their art and design teams created :shobon: I played Div1 for the first time around Div2 launch and still thought it was amazing, they loving nailed the atmosphere, and if you've been to NY or DC, exploring the games is a real treat.

Plus, you know, the shoots is fun.

(also going back to New York was the cowardly story choice, but I don't get any sense that they really have a unified direction for the big story beats, Div 2 'ending' was a wet fart, and Warlords ending... eh, let's give people some more time to get through it before spoilers etc)

What if i told you there was no difference between good and bad?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheTrend posted:

What if i told you there was no difference between good and bad?

but couldn't you say there's something that divides them

like, a

division

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sure, they're murderous spree killers openly wielding weapons, and sure, they're all a mix of genders and races, but you're still shooting people on sight in the middle of an American city only based on the fact they have a red arrow over their had and not a green one.

There's like, one and a half lines about this per game but I'd love them to lean into the whole "wait, aren't we just doing what ISAC tells us to do?" thing. At some point in WONY the radio was like "get rid of this thing!" and then ISAC immediately chirped in "fuel line found" and marked the shiny on my map, and then when I turned it and destroyed the thing Kelso was like "Quick thinking, Agent!"

That wasn't me, Kelso. There is no me. There is only an avatar of ISAC.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We live in a society, you know

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Digital Osmosis posted:

There's like, one and a half lines about this per game but I'd love them to lean into the whole "wait, aren't we just doing what ISAC tells us to do?" thing. At some point in WONY the radio was like "get rid of this thing!" and then ISAC immediately chirped in "fuel line found" and marked the shiny on my map, and then when I turned it and destroyed the thing Kelso was like "Quick thinking, Agent!"

It reminds me of the show Person of Interest when people get access to the Machine in their ear and it’s telling them where people coming after them are and where they need to go next but with more insane gadgets.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Digital Osmosis posted:

wasn't there a movie about this in like the mid 2000s, it had some youngster actor of the time, James Franco or Shia Lebouf, there was like an AI orchestrating some terrorist attack etc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

wasn't there a movie about this in like the mid 2000s, it had some youngster actor of the time, James Franco or Shia Lebouf, there was like an AI orchestrating some terrorist attack etc

Shia and it’s Eagle Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Shia and it’s Eagle Eye.

Thanks, it was a generic technothriller and I'd all but forgotten about it lol