Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I love how one of the rewards for the hundred dollar tier onward is getting blocked on Twitter by Hideki Kamiya.
Even better, one of the stretch goals is Hideki Kamiya being forced to UNBLOCK EVERYONE ON TWITTER.

his block list is legend, so that's no small feat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

Really fed up with insects which never read my posts/header pic and just keep posting . THAT’S WHY I’m telling u not to post me in languages other than Japanese. If u break rules, that means u r brainless insect and will be blocked immediately. BE CAREFUL.

quote:

•No advice
•No tagging me in your conversation
•No request or asking about games which are not mine/our IP. No Bayo2. No MGR.
•No poo poo posts

MY BLOCK BUTTON IS BIGGER THAN EVER.

What a charming individual

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vinylshadow posted:

This, but unironically

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vinylshadow posted:

I honestly respect it. He's setting boundaries and that's good.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Best part of Varan by far is its soundtrack, some of my personal favorite Ifukube work (a lot of which would be recycled into new tracks in later movies).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God I'm stoked

So a little while ago Resurrection of Godzilla was released, which is a pretty drat seamless fusion of Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, the Roger Corman cut of the film. It uses the remastered HD versions of both films, but keeps mostly to the Japanese cut, including the Raymond Burr portions of the American side.

Now another similar release has come to my attention, This Is Tokyo, which is a fusion of Gojira 1954 and Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956. That is something I've been craving for literally years, and I am extremely excited to see how they pulled it off. Resurrection of Godzilla is basically my definitive version of that film, and if this is as good an edit as that, it could be something magical.

Please don't let me down

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

Oh God I'm stoked

So a little while ago Resurrection of Godzilla was released, which is a pretty drat seamless fusion of Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, the Roger Corman cut of the film. It uses the remastered HD versions of both films, but keeps mostly to the Japanese cut, including the Raymond Burr portions of the American side.

Now another similar release has come to my attention, This Is Tokyo, which is a fusion of Gojira 1954 and Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956. That is something I've been craving for literally years, and I am extremely excited to see how they pulled it off. Resurrection of Godzilla is basically my definitive version of that film, and if this is as good an edit as that, it could be something magical.

Please don't let me down

Where might one find this Resurrection of Godzilla? Theoretically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well my fine goon, as I cannot PM you-

Archive.org will sort you out. This Is Tokyo is also there. Don't know if linking directly would be files so, yeah.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it's on Archive.org, then it's not piracy and you don't gotta be coy.

Any word on that remastered Cozilla?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Godzilla Resurrection

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This Is Tokyo

And since it was asked for

Restored Cozzilla

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I actually prefer the stark black and white opening credits of Gojira so we need a fanedit of this fanedit to correct it.

e: In one scene Raymond Burr says 8 ships have sunk and in the next scene, in Japanese, we are told that a 3rd ship has just gone down. Oops.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 28, 2020

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Much obliged.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would argue that Resurrection of Godzilla is my definitive version of Return of/1985, but This Is Tokyo is a very different beast.

There's a lot of cool and clever editing moves, but it is not a patch on the original 1954. The tone is still very different. What it is, though, is a definitive version of King of the Monsters itself- working more of the Japanese original in does a lot to make the film feel like a true ensemble piece, though it does have some issues that crop up. Notably, as mentioned, the different ships cited as being destroyed, and a funnier mistake/unavoidable discrepancy, Burr's narration that the only two on the ship who weren't overtaken by anxiety being Emiko and Ogata, when it intercuts a personal scene between the two...being overtaken by anxiety.

But, if you enjoy King of the Monsters, this is definitely an even better version of it. The original still stands on its own as a separate beast- my personal best version of THAT would just be to work Raymond Burr into some of the reporter reaction shots and cut his narration entirely- but this is well worth a watch for any Godzilla fan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched the original Varan the Unbelievable

I think we can all agree that the best thing about Tsuburaya is his love for Spunky Lady Reporters. But the SLR in Varan sucks, she's not even spunky!

I can see what you guy s mean about the movie being shot for TV so it looks like poo poo. Especially at the beginning. There's this ancient crazy cult in the remote mountains and a forbidden zone where they say no one can go, but it's all shot completely flat with full light. It's terrible. Later scenes do look better, but the first 15-20 minutes or so really starts the movie off on a very bad foot.

There's a couple shots of Varan in this one they didn't use in the American one where it's super clear that it's just a guy in a suit. Honestly there's too much Varan overall. His opening rampage goes on slightly too long, at the end he's just kinda turning around, filling time being monstery. And the whole sequence of Varan hiding behind some underwater rocks is godawful. Combine all that with the flat TV style and you end up with a very unimpressive monster

The music is bad. There's one song in particular that is like a very bad attempt to make a poor man's version of the Godzilla theme.

There are good parts. I always like a conference room scene. You get some people in a room talking about what they're gonna do about a monster, I'm happy. Some of the army shooting at Varan footage was fine. I'm pretty sure the helicopter they fly in at the end to drop the bomb into Varan shows up a couple times in Ultraman, so it was neat seeing it here. And the shots of Varan catching the bombs on his tongue like snowflakes were adorable. Although I don't think that's what they were going for.

I feel like if there's such a thing as objective movie quality, then clearly the Japanese Varan the Unbelievable is better than the American Varan the Unbelievable. But I think I like the American one better. The characters are stronger and it's 20 minutes shorter. And the American version is bad in weirder ways, which is more entertaining than the Japanese one being bad in boring ways.

But the big takeaway is don't watch Varan the Unbelievable. Either version. They're both bad and boring.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You are 100% correct on this.

The Japanese version is kind of sad because you can tell how it could have been a good movie. The American one is hilarious

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Shinichi Sekizawa is definitely the person that liked the spunky lady reporters. If his screenwriting credits are any Indication.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

If I'm getting this right, the new 007 has been moved to Thanksgiving, shortly after G vs Kong.

RIP Legendary series.

Are there any new developments on Toho's future Godzilla projects?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is pretty common for a series to end after it's intended ending yes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

It is pretty common for a series to end after it's intended ending yes.

Also when the movies cost blockbuster dollars but don't do blockbuster business.

As an aside, I'm old enough to remember when a $100 million gross was the accepted benchmark to determine if a movie was a blockbuster.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"Sir, KOTM has made record amounts of money and is critically acclaimed! Should we renew our license with Toho?"

"No, we better not. GvsK is our intended ending. That's just the way this business works."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

"Sir, KOTM has made record amounts of money and is critically acclaimed! Should we renew our license with Toho?"

"No, we better not. GvsK is our intended ending. That's just the way this business works."

KOTM was a pretty big financial disappointment.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Also critically acclaimed is not something I’ve seen said about it ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, its mediocre. If anything I have no faith whatsoever in GvK. I wish Vogt-Roberts was brought back in.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MonsterIsland22/status/1235322369394257921?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They should keep the Monsterverse going by making lower budget movies with monsters that are cheaper to license.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

You know what’s a lot more affordable than wall-to-wall CGI?

Rubber suits. Just saying, WB.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

You know what’s a lot more affordable than wall-to-wall CGI?

Rubber suits. Just saying, WB.

:hmmyes:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I wish Vogt-Roberts was brought back in.

Yeah, me too. He knocked it out of the park, so outside of his weird issues overseas I thought he would have been a lot hotter than he turned out to be and would have been swallowed up by Marvel/Disney like all of other young directors.

I still have faith in GvK, but I had faith in KOTM, too.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I’ve been working my way through the Ultraman blu-ray set and it’s loving rad. I even like the dumb comic relief members of the science patrol.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been working my way through the Ultraman blu-ray set and it’s loving rad. I even like the dumb comic relief members of the science patrol.

Ide is a loving saint who hates governments and is secretly the most dangerous person on Earth

Arashi is just waiting until UltraSeven when he gets to be Furuhashi and gets to gently caress poo poo up

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Violator posted:

I still have faith in GvK, but I had faith in KOTM, too.

I think most of us did; I didn't love 2014 as much as most people but it was pretty good, and it was hard not to get sucked into the pre-release hype when thinking about + seeing stills of Ghidorah getting that treatment.

How you can have faith in GvK after what we actually got, on the other hand, I do not know and I am a little jealous.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its a crap shoot since each film has a different writer and director.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Its a crap shoot since each film has a different writer and director.

Yeah, so far they are 2 out of 3 for being great movies and I like GvK’s director.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Timby posted:

KOTM was a pretty big financial disappointment.

Peacoffee posted:

Also critically acclaimed is not something I’ve seen said about it ever.

My post clearly sucked because it was meant as a joke, my bad. I was trying to say franchises like this keep going indefinitely IF the money and reception is strong (which did not happen with KOTM on both counts and box office is in doubt for GvsK)

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think most of us did; I didn't love 2014 as much as most people but it was pretty good, and it was hard not to get sucked into the pre-release hype when thinking about + seeing stills of Ghidorah getting that treatment.

How you can have faith in GvK after what we actually got, on the other hand, I do not know and I am a little jealous.

The leaks make GvsK sound crazy, at the very least. Mechagodzilla! Kong has a battle axe or hammer or something! But then again KOTM was crazy, but it proved crazy can also mean boring.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't know how to feel about the fact I literally almost fell asleep during KotM, yet I was able to stay awake through the entire anime trilogy twice

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't know how to feel about the fact I literally almost fell asleep during KotM, yet I was able to stay awake through the entire anime trilogy twice

You're strong than me! I passed out in the anime just before the big MechaCity fight or whatever that trash was. Then for part 3 I woke up when the weird King G invincible guys came out.

Such a boring poo poo series with poo poo fights.

In personal news - I am going under the needle in 2 weeks for my Godzilla half sleeve! :3: I'll post the art once I receive the final. :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vinylshadow posted:

it probably meant you were really sleepy when you saw KotM :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really liked the anime trilogy.