Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

This is probably a long shot, but maybe you guys can help me identify a song that has been stuck in my and my partner’s head for the past year. We heard it when we were in a store called Bric-a-Brac Records in Chicago, but were too absent minded to ask the worker what song it was. If you look pics of the store online, it’ll maybe help you understand the type of song it was.

We remember it being a pretty repetitious song in general, with a female singer. The main riff (which again, repeated without interruption tons) was pretty close to the one melody from “Get down on it” by Kool & the Gang, when they sing the titular lyrics, but with a higher pitch, more notes per bar, and very twee/punky.

We don’t remember the lyrics at all. Any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Heard this song with lyrics something like this -

I'm feeling (seeing)? more and more each day
where I'm going or where I'll stay
what I give it takes away
I see the mountains and the lakes
I'll drive my car without the breaks

Song is probably from the last few years, and a generic indie-rock sound (kind of Imagine Dragons-esque). Googling has been of no use, which is odd, since I've heard it enough times.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Cyril Sneer posted:

Heard this song with lyrics something like this -

I'm feeling (seeing)? more and more each day
where I'm going or where I'll stay
what I give it takes away
I see the mountains and the lakes
I'll drive my car without the breaks

Song is probably from the last few years, and a generic indie-rock sound (kind of Imagine Dragons-esque). Googling has been of no use, which is odd, since I've heard it enough times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_EIE5f2t6M

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Man, the Foals are pretty well-known and that song has 20M views....did I really hear the lyrics THAT wrong?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Cyril Sneer posted:

Man, the Foals are pretty well-known and that song has 20M views....did I really hear the lyrics THAT wrong?
Honestly I just googled the last two lines of the lyrics you posted...

https://www.google.com/search?q=I+s...chrome&ie=UTF-8

...so not THAT wrong.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hi friends, i got the last minute's worth of this song on video and i'd love to find the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9O1B_QW_4 it played today at 12:30 on WCHC, it's a high pitched female(?) vocalist playing mandoline and harp, it sounds like. the lyrics mention "seceeding from the union in 81" halp? i'm hoping uploading the track will get me some kind of DMCA takedown but this is a college station so it plays Weird Stuff. (EDIT- this is Joanna Newsom's 81, thanks person in the GBS white whale thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Greq05zAS9g )

edit- So, the same radio station plays a really short song every 2-3 days, it's about 1 minute long, acapella with a group of vocalists all singing in unison, though it's primarily female voices. I think it's either the first or last track to an album, because it feels like an intro or outro. The lyrics are "all the trees with leaves so green they brush against my head/hand" something "lift our callous hearts" something "and the cold raindrops of fall" something "don't answer any prayers we will just now our heads in thought."

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 14, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- So, the same radio station plays a really short song every 2-3 days, it's about 1 minute long, acapella with a group of vocalists all singing in unison, though it's primarily female voices. I think it's either the first or last track to an album, because it feels like an intro or outro. The lyrics are "all the trees with leaves so green they brush against my head/hand" something "lift our callous hearts" something "and the cold raindrops of fall" something "don't answer any prayers we will just now our heads in thought."

Passion Pit - Two Veils to Hide My Face

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Thanks buddy! That's exactly it!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks to PHIZ KALIFA, I'm aware of this thread. :tipshat:

This is a long shot, I know, but maybe someone out there knows what I'm looking for.

Fall of1991, listening to WFMU. I was taping it because I had called and put in a request and just wanted to get a copy of hearing my name thrown out over the air, 'cause that's how us old folks amused themselves back before the internet.

Grunge was juuuust starting to be a thing, so NYU's radio station was fairly cutting edge, playing this heretofore unknown band called "Nirvana" and such. They played a grungy song before getting to the Skinny Puppy I'd requested, so that's on the tape. Unfortunately, the cassette ran out of tape just as the DJ is going down the "what you just heard" playlist, saying "and before that, we had Kr-"

He sounds likes he starting to say something that begins with a Kr or Cr sound, like Crust or Crunch or something on those lines. The chorus to the song sounds like "MUDHONEEEEEY", but afaik, it's not actually Mudhoney. I asked this on a music site I belonged to years ago and no one figured it out.

I can hear the melody plain as day (minor key, bass-heavy, does a walking-down-the-key thing) and the only other lyric I can recall is the male vocalist screaming "walk all over meeee". And if the tape I had still exists, it's probably rotted to hell in my storage unit.

Good luck, gum shoes!

edit: every last line part of the verses ends with something ending in "eee" so that it rhymes with what my brain remembers as "mudhoneeeey". Like, I wanna say there's a "won't you set me free" as well as a "walk all over me".

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 14, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, that reminds me of one

Right before Nirvana broke, in art class a kid was playing a tape that he said was Nirvana b-sides, and one song had the chorus "walking around, eyes are down, [something something] the pain I'm in"

The singer definitely sounded like Cobain but nothing on Outcesticide or any other comp has this song on it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I went dancing at a blues jam last night and the first group that went up played some forgettable E blues, but there was a break in the 9th and 10th bars where the vocalist sung the iconic line “gonna put a hurtin’ on your dick”

I *need* to know what song this is. help!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This is a long shot, I know, but maybe someone out there knows what I'm looking for.

Fall of1991, listening to WFMU. I was taping it because I had called and put in a request and just wanted to get a copy of hearing my name thrown out over the air, 'cause that's how us old folks amused themselves back before the internet.

Grunge was juuuust starting to be a thing, so NYU's radio station was fairly cutting edge, playing this heretofore unknown band called "Nirvana" and such. They played a grungy song before getting to the Skinny Puppy I'd requested, so that's on the tape. Unfortunately, the cassette ran out of tape just as the DJ is going down the "what you just heard" playlist, saying "and before that, we had Kr-"

He sounds likes he starting to say something that begins with a Kr or Cr sound, like Crust or Crunch or something on those lines. The chorus to the song sounds like "MUDHONEEEEEY", but afaik, it's not actually Mudhoney. I asked this on a music site I belonged to years ago and no one figured it out.

I can hear the melody plain as day (minor key, bass-heavy, does a walking-down-the-key thing) and the only other lyric I can recall is the male vocalist screaming "walk all over meeee". And if the tape I had still exists, it's probably rotted to hell in my storage unit.

Good luck, gum shoes!

edit: every last line part of the verses ends with something ending in "eee" so that it rhymes with what my brain remembers as "mudhoneeeey". Like, I wanna say there's a "won't you set me free" as well as a "walk all over me".

It doesn't fit with the 'kr' sound of the announcer's voice, but, and this is a long shot... "I Bleed" by (The) Pixies?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Good luck, gum shoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A27PFDiLl8

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I have a "help me identify an album" that nhave been trying to figure out for years, hopefully this thread can help, I feel like it's a long shot.

In 2004-2005 my wife and I had just started dating. One of our firstish dates was to a tiny independent theater called The Palm in San Luis Obispo CA. Before the movie, they raffled off a CD (I believe it was a new release).That album became part of our early relationship soundtrack for road trips, sitting at the beach at 3am, and making up after nasty fights. I lost the album sometime and I would love to get it back.

Acoustic singer songwriter, male, kind of a faster paced style on some songs, lilting on ballads? The album art was black linework on a white background. I believe like a detailed city skyline kind of, lots of intracasies.

I associate like, the end of the world to one of his love songs, maybe a whale on another one?

FWIW I totally don't expect anyone to get this but it's a shot.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I have an impossible-to-google question that is making me crazy. Late 90s / early 2000's I ended up with a cassette of a band called "Texture". It was a 4-song ep. Kinda post-grunge sound, kinda post-punk influenced (clean guitars, delays, etc.) They may have been Canadian, not sure. But anyway I can't find them of course because texture is a generic term and also a word often used to describe music. All I can remember is I'm sure the lyrics of one song were "descending down" and "can't go on this way though".

Anyone ever hear of this band? I guess they were an indie that went nowhere and broke up, probably. Because they are kind of pre-internet no one was probably talking about them-- I might have the dates wrong, it could have been closer to '95 ish. 96/97 maybe.

I suspect my best hope of ever hearing these songs again is lucking out and finding that tape in my parents' basement.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mr_package posted:

I have an impossible-to-google question that is making me crazy. Late 90s / early 2000's I ended up with a cassette of a band called "Texture". It was a 4-song ep. Kinda post-grunge sound, kinda post-punk influenced (clean guitars, delays, etc.) They may have been Canadian, not sure. But anyway I can't find them of course because texture is a generic term and also a word often used to describe music. All I can remember is I'm sure the lyrics of one song were "descending down" and "can't go on this way though".

Anyone ever hear of this band? I guess they were an indie that went nowhere and broke up, probably. Because they are kind of pre-internet no one was probably talking about them-- I might have the dates wrong, it could have been closer to '95 ish. 96/97 maybe.

I suspect my best hope of ever hearing these songs again is lucking out and finding that tape in my parents' basement.

Is it this band? https://www.discogs.com/artist/4382478-Texture-9 I've never heard of them but that came up from a search for texture on discogs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've got a refrain stuck in my head, I think the lyrics are "know what to do, gently caress you!" repeated a few times. I'm pretty sure it's a metal song and probably a really obvious one but I'm blanking on it :v:

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

A human heart posted:

Is it this band? https://www.discogs.com/artist/4382478-Texture-9 I've never heard of them but that came up from a search for texture on discogs.

I think it is (1995, from Canada, and one of the tracks is called "Descending"). They probably did this after the EP Cassette I had. Probably going to be hard to track down but this is at least something to go on. In fact, better, cause I only heard their EP and while it wasn't the greatest alum in the world, I liked it well enough and now really want to hear this CD.

I never thought to search discogs etc. directly, I was always just using google search but it's very obvious now that these specialized databases are going to be far more useful. Thanks!

edit: doh this is only 5 tracks also. Oh well I'm still gonna try to track it down.

mr_package fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 5, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

mr_package posted:

I think it is (1995, from Canada, and one of the tracks is called "Descending"). They probably did this after the EP Cassette I had. Probably going to be hard to track down but this is at least something to go on. In fact, better, cause I only heard their EP and while it wasn't the greatest alum in the world, I liked it well enough and now really want to hear this CD.

I never thought to search discogs etc. directly, I was always just using google search but it's very obvious now that these specialized databases are going to be far more useful. Thanks!

edit: doh this is only 5 tracks also. Oh well I'm still gonna try to track it down.

Don't forget Bandcamp, too. I posted over in the White Whale thread about an obscure 90's artist, and someone nailed it right away finding them on Bandcamp. The shame is on me; I have 15 albums of my own on Bandcamp and never even thought to look there, durrr. :negative:

(I did look over there for you; there's a handful of artists named Texture, but all way too recent and not the right genre from what I could find)

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

I've got a refrain stuck in my head, I think the lyrics are "know what to do, gently caress you!" repeated a few times. I'm pretty sure it's a metal song and probably a really obvious one but I'm blanking on it :v:

Soundgarden, Big Dumb Sex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4rBIrGt1Q

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Soundgarden, Big Dumb Sex?
I had the lyrics slightly wrong, it was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVzwNV8QOA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Target Practice posted:

I have a "help me identify an album" that nhave been trying to figure out for years, hopefully this thread can help, I feel like it's a long shot.

In 2004-2005 my wife and I had just started dating. One of our firstish dates was to a tiny independent theater called The Palm in San Luis Obispo CA. Before the movie, they raffled off a CD (I believe it was a new release).That album became part of our early relationship soundtrack for road trips, sitting at the beach at 3am, and making up after nasty fights. I lost the album sometime and I would love to get it back.

Acoustic singer songwriter, male, kind of a faster paced style on some songs, lilting on ballads? The album art was black linework on a white background. I believe like a detailed city skyline kind of, lots of intracasies.

I associate like, the end of the world to one of his love songs, maybe a whale on another one?

FWIW I totally don't expect anyone to get this but it's a shot.

Okkervil River? Black Sheep Boy came out in 05 and the cover is intricate white line on black

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Looking for a shoegaze track sung by a woman probably from the 1990s.

I heard it many years ago and it was described as one of the quintessential and well-known tracks in the subgenre. Years later I tried to find it by listening to probably ~50 tracks (and this entire list) but didn't find it: https://www.stereogum.com/1945648/31-essential-shoegaze-tracks/franchises/list/ultimate-playlist/

Don't have much else to go on.

Currently listening through this list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1n72aCdwdU&list=PL7v1FHGMOadBKhho9QD1rc_W6hXk17o9c

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
This is the first thing that comes to mind, it was fairly big in the 90s as I recall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iedz_x6Hlhw

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

This is the first thing that comes to mind, it was fairly big in the 90s as I recall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iedz_x6Hlhw

Thanks, that was a good guess as it was the correct band and put me on the right track.

It was Superblast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydaZyh3SyA

I like this one too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUuCXE6nnNs

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Glad I could help :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was going to say Lush but thought it was too obvious lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A long, long time ago on SA someone posted their album. I believe the album was centered around a robot being lost in space. Fantastic album, just thought of it the other day and was curious if someone remembers it. Had to be 5-10 years old at this point.

It's a long shot but does it sound familiar to anyone?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hughmoris posted:

A long, long time ago on SA someone posted their album. I believe the album was centered around a robot being lost in space. Fantastic album, just thought of it the other day and was curious if someone remembers it. Had to be 5-10 years old at this point.

It's a long shot but does it sound familiar to anyone?

Was it 8bit styled?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was it 8bit styled?

I don't believe so.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Got a hard one. Found this one on The Sixty One back in 2008-2009. Title or artist has Lo-Fi in it, Lo-Fi something something, possibly rhyming. Wolf also might be part of the song or artist's name, but I can't be sure. One man group if I remember correctly, and it was a kind of pop sound, maybe pop-punk. Music video was set in a dense party, almost mosh pit with mostly teenagers if I remember correctly. Hate to say that is all I have. The Sixty One is dead so I can't go back to that, even on the wayback machine. Anyone got the touch?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Lookin for this rap/r&b song that was popular around 2009. The lyrics are basically a guy warning his friend not to marry a girl who's a trick. And the word trick is echoed through the song.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

It was released in 2005, but maybe Gold Digger by Kanye?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=640282039862995 anyone know the song playing as they make this weird little art piece? Its literally impossible to search by lyrics, and sound hound gave up so this is my last shot. My girlfriend and I really liked it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Nuclear War posted:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=640282039862995 anyone know the song playing as they make this weird little art piece? Its literally impossible to search by lyrics, and sound hound gave up so this is my last shot. My girlfriend and I really liked it.
Can you check your link... it won't load for me.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cable Guy posted:

Can you check your link... it won't load for me.

Works for me on Firefox and Opera.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

more an album, but i'm trying to find this late 1960s (68/69) album. the cover was a black and white line drawing, the music was some flavor of psychedelic rock, and it was using drums in a pretty innovative way that sounded out of the 1980s. i can't find it for the life of me.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Nuclear War posted:

The Facebook user in question has a Youtube channel and an Instagram account, both of which have the same or similar content as the Facebook page, but neither of which seems to use the same music. That, combined with the lack of search results for very clear, unique snippets of the lyrics, makes me think it's some generic, royalty-free track, the kind social media sites offer up for users to avoid copyright issues with their videos. Have you checked the Facebook Sound Collection? I don't have an account, so I can't access it, but if it's anything like the Youtube Audio Library I'd imagine they'll let you sort by genre, search by title, that sort of thing. I'm assuming this one's named either "Reckless" or "Love You Reckless", by the sound of it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jazz Marimba posted:

It was released in 2005, but maybe Gold Digger by Kanye?

Found out it was E40/Too Short/50 Cent "Bitch", but it was a radio edit so they replaced bitch with trick.

I think I was confused about it being a popular radio song, its just that my co worker played it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Karenina posted:

more an album, but i'm trying to find this late 1960s (68/69) album. the cover was a black and white line drawing, the music was some flavor of psychedelic rock, and it was using drums in a pretty innovative way that sounded out of the 1980s. i can't find it for the life of me.

I know it's not, but just to be 200% sure, it's not Revolver?