Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah this game is bonkers. She starts with the hammer, and then doesn't get on the board until she gets forced to 1 in the 4th end. Fuckin ouch.

Edit: wow, she made it a closer game than I would have thought.

Yeah, i almost spoke too soon. Tirinzoni still finished at like 34 to 15 points for the tournament.

Still, some great variety in the semis. The Japanese teams are really impressive this year, but where did China go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I don't think the Chinese teams usually play in the Grand Slam. Plus they haven't been great the past few years so they might not have been invited/qualified.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

I don't think the Chinese teams usually play in the Grand Slam. Plus they haven't been great the past few years so they might not have been invited/qualified.

Mei Jie qualified for the worlds last year, Bingyu Wang played in a bunch of the grand slams before she retired.

I would think China will get seriously into it again with the Beijing Winter Olympics coming up.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oh right. Liu Rui played a few on the men's side too. Highest Chinese team is 29th on the WCT money list right now so they must be playing in the Asian bonspiels.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This Canada cup final is pretty entertaining.

Also my Friday night league team asked me to skip because my normal 3rd and skip have just been having an awful time lately. I usually play lead so you know they're desperate.

End 1: losing 3-0
End 2: losing 4-0
End 3: losing 6-0
End 4: losing 6-5 (finally get a break on a good shot)
End 5: winning 6-8
End 6: winning 6-9
End 7: won 7-9
Hell yeah, first time skipping a whole game properly :dance:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Taking 5 and then stealing 3? Didn't know Kevin Koe had an account here. Congratulations on the first skipping win!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My league got of to a late start because they couldn't make ice for several weeks apparently, but my team got off to a 1-0 start and I actually helped! Sat one stone on the back of the 12-footer during a 4-point end, and then totally whiffed a takeout but the stone managed to sit between the 8 and 12-footer in the final end which meant we won 5-4 instead of losing 7-5.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Double posting because we won again last night (we're 3-1 now!) but more importantly, last night was the first time since I started curling where I felt like I was able to actually make semi-accurate adjustments from throw to throw. And given how uh, variable our ice is, I'm pretty proud of that.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

Double posting because we won again last night (we're 3-1 now!) but more importantly, last night was the first time since I started curling where I felt like I was able to actually make semi-accurate adjustments from throw to throw. And given how uh, variable our ice is, I'm pretty proud of that.

That's a good feeling. I find I keep going back and forth. Some games I have that feeling where I can tell what's going on and make adjustments and be confident by the 3rd end or so, and then other games I just can't get my head around anything and feel lost almost.

I've been trying to find any books or articles for tips, but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that there's nothing you can do except curl more. If you want to throw better, throw a lot of rocks; if you want to judge weight better, watch a lot of rocks; and if you want to sweep better, sweep a lot of rocks and see what works/feels better. To that end I've been lucky as one of my girlfriend's curling friends travels a lot for work and I've become their go-to guy as a spare. I've picked up 3 extra games this month already.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One thing that I think I've done is just hold onto the rock longer. We play on an outdoor hockey rink, so the hog lines are practically impossible to spot and that leads to folks kind of leaving the hack and immediately chucking the stone, but just holding it a tiny bit longer and really trying to line everything up is helpful. This assumes there's not a nice layer of frost we have to fight through too, though.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I've found the best thing is to have a consistent slide. It doesn't have to pretty but as long as you come out of the hack the same way every time that's going to go a long way to getting your weight down.

It's also a good idea to communicate a lot with your teammates about the ice and how fast it is and even how it feels. On ice like Inspector's (I can't imagine curling on ice like that... kudos) that can be pretty broad. Could just say "ice felt slower than normal on the slide but it went further than I thought". A more experienced team could have the thrower say that slide felt quicker than normal, the sweepers might say the rock moved well but then slowed down a lot after the hogline, and the skip might know that there have been a lot of rocks down that path so it's pretty consistent but might slow down if the game goes to eight ends.

Stopwatches can kind of be useful if you curl with a few different teams or at more than one rink, but I would usually advise against them for everybody else.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chicken posted:

On ice like Inspector's (I can't imagine curling on ice like that... kudos)

To give you an idea (this is obviously on the "pretty bad" end of the spectrum)

https://twitter.com/CurlBklyn/status/1207489781921468421

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Can you even see the rings from the other end? drat...

This is where I curl:

I actually fell while sliding on an open takeout tonight. I turned away in disgust but my third kept an eye on it and I somehow managed to tick one of our guards into the rings for shot rock behind a ton of cover. It was the luckiest curling shot I've ever made. We were also up by 3 in the last end with last rock and just barely managed to win so practice your peels everybody!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Those plaid shirts for Team Canada are really good. And the nicknames on the back are amazing. Continental Cup is real good.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I haven't been able to watch any since I'm on vacation, but I've seen the Instagram photos and I agree the jackets and nicknames are great. The continental cup seems like a fun time.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So here's my couple thoughts about the Canadian Open that just finished. Firstly, I kind of like the triple knockout structure. It's confusing, but it makes for interesting conversations about each team's path to the playoffs. And secondly, I am developing a huge soft spot for Team Fujisawa. They just seem to be having so much fun every time they're playing. Even when it's clear that they're going to lose, they're smiling and laughing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tonight was the last night of my league session, and I ripped a takeout that turned into a hit and roll and I feel very accomplished. I wear Nike Metcons to the rink because of Matt Hamilton's footwear in the 2018 Olympics so I felt like I finally lived up to that.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Just curled against a team from Sacramento that came up to Canada for a bonspiel. We lost but it was a close game, they were real fun to play against, and it was cool to hear about some of the politics going on in US curling. Got some awesome pins and an invitation to their bonspiel next year!

Also, Brazil got a curling club! https://www.facebook.com/BrazilianCurlingClub/ Several years ago, some Brazilian students at a Canadian university started a curling team and have played against either the US or Canada (when the US hosted) for the second western hemisphere slot at Worlds. Now that they have their own club, I fully expect to see them at Worlds in the near future...

Way behind on the Scotties due to the bonspiel, but go Saskatchewan I guess?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Chicken posted:

Just curled against a team from Sacramento that came up to Canada for a bonspiel. We lost but it was a close game, they were real fun to play against, and it was cool to hear about some of the politics going on in US curling. Got some awesome pins and an invitation to their bonspiel next year!

This is very cool. I had to pass up the opportunity to play in a big bonspiel because it happens to be a weekend I already have baseball tickets. Also, how does the whole pin thing work? I guess more I mean, at what point is a bonspiel big enough that exchanging pins is expected etiquette?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is very cool. I had to pass up the opportunity to play in a big bonspiel because it happens to be a weekend I already have baseball tickets. Also, how does the whole pin thing work? I guess more I mean, at what point is a bonspiel big enough that exchanging pins is expected etiquette?

It depends. Here on the east coast of the US, it doesn't really depend on the size of the event, just who's there. (If I'm traveling to another club, I'll make sure to have some pins from my club with me. Inevitably, everyone I play against already has one, though, and/or I already have theirs.) When I went to Canada for a bonspiel (Lefthanders World Championship), people told me the pin thing wasn't as big of a deal there. There was some pin trading, but they weren't specific club pins or anything; someone gave me a previous year's pin from that event and a Las Vegas Posse pin (CFL team that was only around for one season).

In my experience, though, you generally just swap club pins with your opponents each game. If you go to things like 5-and-unders where the other people aren't as likely to have traveled a bunch, you might get a handful of new ones. I'd also say it's never really expected. When my skip or I mention it, the response is usually "Yeah, we have Potomac pins already, geez." or "Oh... uh, I think we might have some around here somewhere." (If I have a pin from their club but they don't have mine; I'll just give them mine. Our pins are $3.)

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I wish I knew the answer to this question! We were just coming from across town so we didn't even think about it. We bought them a pitcher of beer instead.

Still behind on the Scotties but New Brunswick getting a 7 ender on Manitoba is one of the wildest curling things I've ever seen. I wish that was the feature game so that I could see the buildup.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is it bad I want the wild card to lose only because Jones' kid got me and the wife sick? (We were spectating in Canmore at the mixed doubles tournament and her kid was sick and running around the club.)

Is been nice to watch the Scotties as I rehab my shoulder, since I'm out for the rest of the season.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Is it bad I want the wild card to lose only because Jones' kid got me and the wife sick? (We were spectating in Canmore at the mixed doubles tournament and her kid was sick and running around the club.)

Is been nice to watch the Scotties as I rehab my shoulder, since I'm out for the rest of the season.

Haha that's hilarious. And you got your wish.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo that was a hell of a finish for the Scotties. Well done ladies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I keep forgetting to tune into the Brier games until the 9th end, but today I remembered when the games started and I forgot how much I love Bottcher and Moulding. :shobon:

EDIT: 5-0!

EDIT2: Also I love how edgy mall goth the Team Wildcard unis are.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 3, 2020

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
There have been a bunch of great matches so far, I've managed to catch most of the TSN featured ones.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

There have been a bunch of great matches so far, I've managed to catch most of the TSN featured ones.

I am consistently blown away by the poo poo that Teams Gushue and Koe pull off.

EDIT: and then Gushue flashes the house and gives up a steal of 2. :curling:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 4, 2020

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rooting for a bottcher/koe final now

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

Rooting for a bottcher/koe final now

I need Bottcher to just go undefeated. I think both him and Dunstone got too cute with their calls today for a lot of the final stones, and Bottcher "pulling back" to making those draws was the right call.

Dunstone's angled hit was amazing though.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

I need Bottcher to just go undefeated.

This is where I'm at too. He's been my favorite since I started really paying attention last year. Of course now it looks like it's not going to happen since he blew that last draw in the 10th against Koe.

Also, I had a chance to mess around with recording myself and playing around with GIFs, so I made something for you curling thread.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rough morning for Koe so far

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They dual-boxed in one of the other games and it was 1-1 for the last stone of the 6th end which was thrown to...blank the end.

I'm glad that wasn't the featured game :v:

EDIT: OTOH every look-in at Alberta is them laying down the loving law :allears:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 6, 2020

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
"It's a great shot, it's just hard"

-every curler

And Dunstone continues to amaze

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 7, 2020

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So happy about the exciting, young guys making cool shots to win games. I'm kinda glad they didn't show the Bottcher game though, 2-1 going into the 10th jeez.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So happy about the exciting, young guys making cool shots to win games. I'm kinda glad they didn't show the Bottcher game though, 2-1 going into the 10th jeez.

The look in for the around the horn finish was :discourse:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I turned off the Brier to watch Curling Night In America and Plys just nailed a very sweet double that ended up rolling right onto the button and Hamilton started hootin' and hollerin' and I missed this :shobon:

EDIT: Oh they only play 8 ends and instead of an extra they have a draw to the button "shootout"? I don't care for that one bit.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 7, 2020

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is this the brier or a comedy club :haw:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What happened? I missed whatever you're taking about.

This final is sad, Botcher played great all week and he's falling apart, poor guy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

What happened? I missed whatever you're taking about.

This final is sad, Botcher played great all week and he's falling apart, poor guy.

Gushue was making comical shot observations with his team in the first and second ends of the morning match, the whole arena was laughing along

Yeah, Bottcher is not having a great final

It's not out of reach based on the score, but with how they've been shooting :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thiessen absolutely running himself ragged on the broom but nothing is going where they want it to :(

This NL team is a cheat code, my goodness.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2020