Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sephiroth was a cool if distant guy until he found the basement of the Neibelheim mansion and then he went all crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finding out that you're genetically half alien would gently caress most people up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If anybody hasn't seen this already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsHRaPAUps

Spoilers if you've never played FF7

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like the way Last Order ends, especially compared to the overblown way Crisis Core did it, but I don't like Sephiroth deciding to jump off of the walkway instead of Cloud getting the win.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sefirot just wants someone to hug him

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm excited to hear The Price of Freedom and Under the Apple Tree in one of these games.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's a completely stupid idea: What if there are two Sephiroths? Because the conversations in Cloud's brain during Disc 1 are relatively friendly, and show some empathy to the guy. And we see from the snippets in FFVII and Crisis Core that Sephiroth did want to be a good person. Cloud wasn't a SOLDIER, he was just some random dude, but he still talked to him about hometowns and family and stuff. So maybe he pulled an Emperor Matheus: when Sephiroth died and fell into the Lifestream, his "bad" side merged with JENOVA and became the would-be God calling Meteor, with the "good" being mostly weak and interfering very lightly.

But this is just a theory. A game theory.

this is more or less true

the Sephiroth from the Nibelheim flashbacks is one guy

and then there's the Sephiroth you're chasing in the present, who is actually a JENOVA thing that's assumed his form

the only time you see the actual guy in the present is when you get to the North Crater and you see his upper torso frozen in materia

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
The plot of FF7 gets fairly convoluted, and especially filling in how Cloud got to Midgar, and the time right before that would be neat. I know it was in another media format that he basically went from the tubes to midgar and zack died getting him there, but its not really laid out very well in the game. The first time the game starts to fill in the blanks is when go to the Glacier. I think if you try to get someone familiar with FF7 to on the spot spell out the beats of the plot they get to Junon before it starts to fall apart, and the most dedicated can talk you to the Tiny Bronco. I replayed the game last year and I have trouble piecing together the plot without looking at some reference material. There is so much that could be done to connect the scenes better. Like that stupid plot with stopping Shinra from getting the Huge Materia just kinda falls apart and seems really pointless, why did we blow up that rocket again exactly? FF7 is remembered for all the neat scenes and set pieces, but the overall plot is weak, considering what people expect today.

As for thinking about where Part 2 and 3 and so on might cover, FF7 is fairly cleanly split into three parts already.
1) Midgar & Flashbacks in Kalm (which it looks like they will integrate into the Midgar section given the promo stuff)
2) Chasing Sephiroth Across the World; where you travel and visit all the major locations of the world, eventually ending up in the Glacier/Crater.
3) Revisiting different parts of the world and running around dealing with the "big crisis" and the finale.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 5, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this is more or less true

the Sephiroth from the Nibelheim flashbacks is one guy

and then there's the Sephiroth you're chasing in the present, who is actually a JENOVA thing that's assumed his form

the only time you see the actual guy in the present is when you get to the North Crater and you see his upper torso frozen in materia

And then there’s the argument of whether the JENOVA-Sephiroth is just JENOVA assuming Sephiroth’s form and enacting its own will, or Sephiroth controlling JENOVA to complete his plans.

Personally, I always bought into that it’s a hybrid organism at this point, with JENOVA doing its planet eating thing but with the added context of Sephiroth’s murderous rage-thoughts as he was tossed into the Lifestream.

e: And when you kill Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth at the end, only then do we see what remains of the true Sephiroth’s will - which is then omnislashed to gently caress by Cloud.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The worst part is I'm fairly sure the scene with cloud in the tubes and their escape is missable.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

HD DAD posted:

And then there’s the argument of whether the JENOVA-Sephiroth is just JENOVA assuming Sephiroth’s form and enacting its own will, or Sephiroth controlling JENOVA to complete his plans.

Personally, I always bought into that it’s a hybrid organism at this point, with JENOVA doing its planet eating thing but with the added context of Sephiroth’s murderous rage-thoughts as he was tossed into the Lifestream.

well the thing with the people who have JENOVA cells implanted in them is that they're all subservient to her now, so I imagine she's calling the shots if Sephiroth got absorbed into her. she's Lavos if it played a more direct role in the plot

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

well the thing with the people who have JENOVA cells implanted in them is that they're all subservient to her now, so I imagine she's calling the shots if Sephiroth got absorbed into her. she's Lavos if it played a more direct role in the plot

Hojo at least seemed to think Sephiroth was in control, if I remember right.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
People always think that aeris is the big spoiler/twist in the game, when its zack who is the real spoiler/twist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aerith and Cloud go « Are you THE beautiful bro!? »

Also Aerith going « No peeking! » after she peeked.

Game still good after 23 years.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I had always heard it described as Sephiroth projecting his will/image onto various other failed clones (you know, the numbers, the black cloaks, the "this guy are sick" mumbling) in order to precipitate the Reunion.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ItBreathes posted:

The worst part is I'm fairly sure the scene with cloud in the tubes and their escape is missable.

Yeah you had to go back to the Shinra mansion basement in disc 3 (or at least after Cloud gets his head back on straight) to trigger the scene.

Since there's no clear reason to go back there at that point, it's easy to miss. I'm pretty sure I only knew about it because a strategy guide told me to do it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

It is. I never saw it the first time and kept wondering what I missed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jenova is barely sentient on her own, she's not capable of "calling the shots." but because every one of her cells is capable of retaining what intelligence she has, most people injected with them experience identity death as a result, which was also the basis for cloud's amnesia

sephiroth was strong-willed and pissed off enough to mostly override this process, emerging from the lifestream with control over jenova's hive mind but with her appetite augmenting his personality and goals. there was still enough of him there to take time out of his day to personally mindfuck cloud half to death as revenge for shish-kebabing him during his moment of triumph

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah I always find it odd that the Zack scene and the interviews with Aerith's mom are hidden and missable. They explain a lot and I feel like they're really important.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

At least the Aeris mom scenes, iirc, just flesh out things we already know / are awarish of. The Cloud scene is the linchpin to the whole "who is Cloud" question we've had the whole game and the info in there isn't anywhere else in the game.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
The "SOLDIER boy" stuff is a reference, right? Look forward to Cloud tellin' em.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For better or for worse, the part in the demo that shows that Shinra was actually behind the reactor explosion shows that Square is probably making the subtler, hard to find plot beats of the original, more explicit. I, and other people here posted thinking that was a change. I even remember Jessie's line in the original, but I never put two and two together.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Youtuber who has played more of the game doing a q+a here which contained some info that I hadn't heard before, so posting it in case its news to anyone else.
https://youtu.be/4MeR_ORm07Q

First i knew they cut some flashback sequences from the demo, but he actually shows one with permission from SE.

Second he mentions that the non-magic abilities you have change depending on the weapon you equipped, which is kind of cool

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 5, 2020

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Yeah, it seems like the thrust move Cloud has in the demo is unique to the buster sword.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's a completely stupid idea: What if there are two Sephiroths? Because the conversations in Cloud's brain during Disc 1 are relatively friendly, and show some empathy to the guy.

That's actually Cloud's "actual persona" talking to him. It got buried by mind fuckery and Cloud taking on Zack's personality, but it's still inside his head trying to get his attention.

As to those easy-to-miss scenes of Cloud and Zack in tubes and such, those weren't in the original Japanese version at all, and got added for the western release. Imagine how confusing the storyline originally was for Japanese players, when there were literally no answers in the game for those missing time periods.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

For better or for worse, the part in the demo that shows that Shinra was actually behind the reactor explosion shows that Square is probably making the subtler, hard to find plot beats of the original, more explicit. I, and other people here posted thinking that was a change. I even remember Jessie's line in the original, but I never put two and two together.

Eh, Shinra is already after avalanche at the start of FF7R now, since they tried to kill president Shinra in one of the prequel games, something that wasn't true as of the original release. Jessie says it went boom bigger than expected, but it never implies Shinra had a hand in it. In original FF7 they drop the plate just to kill avalanche since they keep blowing up reactors.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sneak Lemming posted:

Like that stupid plot with stopping Shinra from getting the Huge Materia just kinda falls apart and seems really pointless, why did we blow up that rocket again exactly? FF7 is remembered for all the neat scenes and set pieces, but the overall plot is weak, considering what people expect today.

The thing with that is that the Huge Materias are super concentrated spheres of Mako that Shinra made in order to try and use as a nuke against Meteor. Mako is made from the Lifestream, and Bugenhagen showed the party that the Lifestream needs to flow around the planet to keep it healthy. Had it succeeded, Shinra's plan would have dispersed a huge amount of the Lifestream into space with nowhere for it to go, and it would do a ton of damage to the planet in the long run. Cloud and company stopping that from happening makes more sense in that context.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Hojo at least seemed to think Sephiroth was in control, if I remember right.

Here's the thing.

Hojo is always wrong. :v:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

Hojo is always wrong. :v:

i believe that a talking cat and a woman can find love, even on the battlefield

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, it seems like the thrust move Cloud has in the demo is unique to the buster sword.

I wonder if weapons then will be straight damage upgrades or something like they did with Kingdom Hearts 3 where every weapon is viable and what matters is the abilities/your preferred playstyle.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

ItBreathes posted:

Eh, Shinra is already after avalanche at the start of FF7R now, since they tried to kill president Shinra in one of the prequel games, something that wasn't true as of the original release. Jessie says it went boom bigger than expected, but it never implies Shinra had a hand in it. In original FF7 they drop the plate just to kill avalanche since they keep blowing up reactors.

It's heavily implied that Shinra are done with the Midgar project, and simply don't care anymore. They just want the promised land. Dropping the plate is more an act of malice than to shut down avalanche.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I wonder if weapons then will be straight damage upgrades or something like they did with Kingdom Hearts 3 where every weapon is viable and what matters is the abilities/your preferred playstyle.

People who went to the recent preview event have said that every weapon has a skill tree and is upgradable/usable throughout the entire game.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

DO IT TO IT posted:

People who went to the recent preview event have said that every weapon has a skill tree and is upgradable/usable throughout the entire game.

Finally, nailbat forever

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xad posted:

Finally, nailbat forever

:yeshaha:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

stev posted:

Lol the demo was loads harder than the OG reactor section.

Ah I had the exact opposite experience, maybe I wasn't paying attention when I was playing the OG.

Zaphod42 posted:

... you can only play classic on easy, so did you play normal on hard? Because if you played it on easy and now you're complaining its too easy....

Its literally the first level of the game, dude. Its meant to be baby's first tutorial. So yeah, playing it over and over is gonna be a cake walk.

Played on normal and classic.

Also the moron who didn't put Jessie in the poll can go gently caress himself/herself.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Xad posted:

Finally, nailbat forever

Buster Death Sword forever. (Added Effect + Odin)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think that scene is indicative of what happened in the original. The trailer already showed a scene that mentioned President Shinra intends to brand Avalanche as Wutai insurgents and that definitely never happened.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Ace Transmuter posted:

Blue Mage wrecks shop in FFV, and Enemy Skill breaks FFVII's meager challenge on its knee.

Every other implementation does suck quite a bit though.

to specify: I'm saying blue mage implementations blow not because they're not powerful at their ceiling, but because they involve either
- pausing the game to look up encounter locations and walking back and forth until the rng graciously lets the right enemy show up and make it cast the right spell
- memorizing said encounter locations when you could just be playing the video game (and walking back and forth until the rng graciously lets the right enemy show up and make it cast the right spell)
- clearing dungeons at a casual pace and ending up with a kneecapped class that only knows, like, level 2 old and flamethrower or whatever, when you could've been clearing encounters more efficiently with a class with better dps

VII is the worst offender here because white wind and mighty guard are locked behind backtracking and manipulating enemies that you have no reasonable way of assuming can give you them. none of this is fun or engaging gameplay. it's not exploration and the cool feeling of finding out secrets, it's busywork. IX is relatively fine because it's at least less tedious to eat each enemy in any given area

anyway, who's waiting for the 2.8-style secret episode of the remake where you play as genesis

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Is Crisis Core or Dirge of Cerberus (or before crisis) worth playing?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
X's implementation would've been fine if Kimahri was, you know.

Useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Kimahri makes a good healer taking over for Yuna who takes over for Lulu, though Rikku still has the better overdrive.