Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We need a cowgirl and a cowgirl perspective. I don’t necessarily want any of the established characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zesty posted:

Isn't that how RDR2 plays when you already know the story in RDR1? You start RDR2 knowing all the gains you're making and things you're working for are all going to go to poo poo.

I love Hosea a lot.

They could do it like they did in GTA 5 and have you play a few different characters, switching at will for goofing off and specific characters for specific missions. Definitely have Dutch and Hosea. Maybe write Annabelle as a gunslinger so she could be the third.

Story can end with Annabelle's death and then Arthur is the only playable character in the Epilogue. No loss of symmetry.

You can steal this, Rockstar, on the condition that you fix your terrible broken rear end online games. :rockstar:

Hmm, maybe. But it’s different, because rdr2 exists and I like it so it’s ok

:same:

I’m an epilogue-liker but I’d have liked it more if it was the adventures of Sadie the bounty hunter

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sadie and Charles co-op mode

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Capn Beeb posted:

Sadie and Charles co-op mode

Aww hell yea. Charles is also great.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah dude give me a dope-rear end Saboteur-style charles stealth game

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Wolfsheim posted:

I always wanted to see them pick it back up with Jack in the 1920s

Not for any plot reason I just want a cowboy game where you can ride horses and drive model Ts

How about Jack in a 1920s Texas town where it's a loose retelling of Yojimbo?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116830/

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah dude give me a dope-rear end Saboteur-style charles stealth game

Saboteur was the best Assassin's Creed game

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Isn't that how RDR2 plays when you already know the story in RDR1? You start RDR2 knowing all the gains you're making and things you're working for are all going to go to poo poo.
I think the difference is that John at least has some good years with his family and how Jack ends up is a bit open-ended.

As monstrous as Dutch was in Red Dead 1, the whole twist of.2 is that he was always a piece of poo poo.

I'd like to see an original character probably running with the gang in the 1870s, see 13 year old Arthur. Or see a game focused on Jack and old Sadie in the early 30s. It would be really fun to see the same exact map, but modernity set in.

In general, Rockstar just needs to tell a story about a loving lady. They've been telling the same story about sad flawed men since GTA IV, and Arthur was the accumulation of it. They nailed it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
thinkin bout arturo...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

thinkin bout arturo...

his death is more tragic than Arthur’s imo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the difference is that John at least has some good years with his family and how Jack ends up is a bit open-ended.

Both John and Jack’s epilogue are tragic.

John’s epilogue seems nice except you know it’s all for naught within a couple years. Trying to protect Jack from the outlaw life. Settling down for a long happy marriage. You know these goals fail because the audience is expected to know how RDR1 went.

And that’s what’s tragic about Jack in the RDR1 epilogue. His family tried to get him away from the outlaw life and there he is, an outlaw, because his parents couldn’t escape their past and now they’re both dead.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Both John and Jack’s epilogue are tragic.

John’s epilogue seems nice except you know it’s all for naught within a couple years. Trying to protect Jack from the outlaw life. Settling down for a long happy marriage. You know these goals fail because the audience is expected to know how RDR1 went.

And that’s what’s tragic about Jack in the RDR1 epilogue. His family tried to get him away from the outlaw life and there he is, an outlaw, because his parents couldn’t escape their past and now they’re both dead.

I get there is a tragedy to it all especially since Arthur repeats throughout the game that he doesn't want John to do what he eventually does on behalf of Arthur.

But tragedy isn't a zero sum game. The whole thesis of Arthur's story is that the good things we do matter regardless of the bad stuff we do or our inevitable failures. Although like the first game, it is an open question if someone can truly be redeemed.

I will say that I think Jack's fate is clearly intended as open. In the first game, you're given the choice to kill Ross's family. And while murdering Ross is obviously a crime, the game does set up that Jack does it in Mexico. The only crime the story actually requires of Jack comes with an out of him not being a wanted criminal afterwards. I personally played Jack as a decent dude, saving people, hunting animals, and seeking out treasure.

I know other folks took Jack to play as the brutal outlaw that you can't really play John as in the main story.

But regardless, despite not escaping a violent life, I think it's open ended how bad off Jack is.

It's not perfect, but Arthur's wife and son died alone. John chose his family over the life, and died to protect his family. It's not a happy ending, but it's a bit better. And who knows who Jack gets to be even if he didn't get out unscathed.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 7, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Almost there...

:suicide:

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Chuds McGreedy posted:

2.) Red dead 3 is a prequel prequel and we play as young Dutch and form the gang with Hosea. Post-game we play as Arthur after the ferry heist or whatever.

Vahakyla posted:

We need a cowgirl and a cowgirl perspective. I don’t necessarily want any of the established characters.

It’s been a while since I finished the single player portion of the game so some of the details are fuzzy but I think this would work.

There’s a bit of dialogue in the opening of the game where someone is saying how they can’t believe how Dutch just shot some woman when the ferry heist went bad. Make her your main character.
There’s also the O’Driscoll part of the story where you find out there’s a past rivalry and Dutch is stealing their heist plans to rob the train, etc...

You play as a new female member of the O’Driscoll gang who is given the task of infiltrating the van der Linde gang and feeding Dutch misinformation and setting him up for Colm O’Driscoll to get his revenge. This is what leads to the ferry heist and why it goes down so bad with every one thinking it had to be a setup.

Most of the game could be the story of how she got to that point and your last chapter could be the planning of the setup and ferry heist. That would let you have a new cast of characters that become involved with the story we know at the end.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah! That’s actually a very GTA way of telling stories, reminding me of the triangle in a diamond heist, with Ballad of Gay Tony. The characters don’t have to know each other to be able to share a story, events, and supporting people.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
That girl already has a bit of lore to her. The girl Dutch killed was Heidi McCourt who is implied to be pretty young. She's referenced all the way back in RDR1 by the Strange Man. It's actually a good bit of characterization between the games. It's clear that the murder really weighs on Arthur, especially the fact that he doesn't really know what happened. But when the Strange Man brings it up to John in 1911, John can't recall her. It shows how for the majority of RDR1, John is so fully bought into Dutch's bullshit. The game also implies Micah drove Dutch to kill her.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
People say it was a bad situation that led Dutch to kill the girl but the first thing Dutch does in RDR1 is blow a girls head off after using her as a hostage (and only shooting her once he’s in the clear), I don’t believe it for poo poo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One of the best details is if you go back to Arthur's journal, you find out that there was some fire that sent them through the mountains where they found Micah, Jenny, and other folks, before landing in Blackwater.

The cycle of them moving somewhere new, everything falling apart, and them having to run away is in its like second iteration at least when you start the game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Red_Fred posted:

I wanna play as Sadie Adler.

I wanted the epilogue to do the GTA thing and have you be able to switch between Sadie, Charles and John.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Vichan posted:

I wanted the epilogue to do the GTA thing and have you be able to switch between Sadie, Charles and John.

I assumed that for like 2 chapters that you could switch to Sadie as the main character and I'd just missed the prompt in the beginning to do so.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I just finished the main story, and man I was really hoping you'd get to be Sadie when Arthur was gone. She became the most GTA-ish of all the gang by the end of the story. Charles also quickly became one of my favorites, and I'd have loved to be able to continue on hunting and exploring as him. What a good idea.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
When you do the Hanging Dog Ranch mission, she even has her own whistle for her horse that got my hopes up. I mean even with John, he's not the same model from the game, but a reskinned Arthur. So using such a different character model like Sadie was probably out of the question.

The bummer is that as much as that it's kind of hard to do a lot of the freeworld stuff with John because a lot of it sort of breaks the story of Red Dead Redemption. I just couldn't make it that John straight up became an outlaw again. There's a sort of sanctity to him legitimately going straight when he left Dutch. Even know trying to do a 100% playthrough, I'm trying to at least get all the bandit challenges done as Arthur.

But killing people with Sadie would be a blast.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Ok, important question time.

In Online I've been riding a black chestnut Thoroughbred for ages. I also have a white Kladruber I got for some reason and haven't used.

I'm level 20 in Collector and Trader and rank 67 overall.

In SP I used mostly the Missouri Fox Trotter, but I'm trying to settle on my long-term horse. What I'm looking for is mainly speed and stamina. I'm not so worried about skittishness, except the Arabian is pretty dodgy.

What horse/saddle combo is best, given that I haven't leveled up in Bounty Hunter or Moonshiner yet? I've got $2K and about 50 gold.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
John still took the blood money at the end though, as much as it breaks my little heart with the whole wedding pictures and building a home he still rode out for revenge

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

ICMB posted:

Ok, important question time.

In Online I've been riding a black chestnut Thoroughbred for ages. I also have a white Kladruber I got for some reason and haven't used.

I'm level 20 in Collector and Trader and rank 67 overall.

In SP I used mostly the Missouri Fox Trotter, but I'm trying to settle on my long-term horse. What I'm looking for is mainly speed and stamina. I'm not so worried about skittishness, except the Arabian is pretty dodgy.

What horse/saddle combo is best, given that I haven't leveled up in Bounty Hunter or Moonshiner yet? I've got $2K and about 50 gold.

Regarding multiplayer, you're in luck, because it would seem that speed ratings provide very minimal advantages, and stamina has pretty much been trivialized by spamming calm during long sprints. On top of that, adding the Nacogdoches saddle with hooded stirrups on any horse extends stamina greatly, in exchange for being an ugly skeleton covered mess.

I maxed collector first, so I opted for the Criollo for speed before I learned of this. That being said, I have had no issues with this horse and am perfectly happy with it; any further horse purchases would be for looks or to experiment with race horse handling. You could go with the Kladruber for maximum health and stamina bars, although it will be purely aesthetic because one well placed blow to your horse will still take it down. The MFT or Turkoman are also solid choices, if you like either of those.
The Norfolk Roadster from the Moonshiner business is also a fast horse.

Black Arabian is still pretty much that holy grail that says "I saved up enough gold to have the most expensive horse for my all black outfit." And, in spite of some complaints about "skittishness," most horses are going to buck if you let animals too close to them and will automatically start to leave areas of gunfire when not mounted as a fail-safe so you don't kill them.

That's just my perspective, garnered from having done the same research at your position. I'm sure there are plenty of goons with similar and opposing opinions that may soon shower upon us.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Athaboros posted:

I just finished the main story, and man I was really hoping you'd get to be Sadie when Arthur was gone. She became the most GTA-ish of all the gang by the end of the story. Charles also quickly became one of my favorites, and I'd have loved to be able to continue on hunting and exploring as him. What a good idea.

Speaking of, I got a mod menu thing that lets me play as Sadie. She's got her own whistles, greetings, taunts, reactions to getting shot, etc all the poo poo Arthur and John have. Also of note is her dead eye mode is different in that there's no target painting at all, it's purely a slow motion feature with a heavier orange tint to everything.

Out havin' a normal one in the swamp

She also has her own no aiming fanning a revolver animation

Strange that all of this is on an NPC :raise:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is a theory that one of the things that was cut was bringing companions with you. I think one of the leaks talked about bring Marston along with you and there are promotional materials that kind of make reference to taking on gangs and the law with companions, but it's vague enough to write off.

I think it would make a lot of sense if Marston, Charles, and Sadie were supposed to be people you could travel with. I think it makes sense in terms of Charles, Marston, and Sadie don't really have a lot of campfire characterizations. Like you get more from Hosea and Uncle at camp then you do those guys. I could see there being this other characterization we lost because you were supposed to be on the move with them.

On the topic of cuts, playing through Chapter 3 right now and it really feels like there is stuff missing. Like Arthur gets deputized and it really doesn't mean anything. You do one mission in which it's relevant. I feel like there must have been more to that bit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thought I'd play some more online to finish up the Outlaw Pass. Rode into a town, ran up to the bounty board.... nothing. Ok, let's try another town. Nothing. Switch sessions maybe? Infinite loading screen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

give me a prequel starring Uncle

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Finally we will know the story of how his lumbago became the crippling problem it is today.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
RDR 3 the alternate reality where Uncle never gets lumbago and leads the gang on the straight and narrow. They apply for an LLC and eventually become the Walmart corporation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Timeless Appeal posted:

The bummer is that as much as that it's kind of hard to do a lot of the freeworld stuff with John because a lot of it sort of breaks the story of Red Dead Redemption. I just couldn't make it that John straight up became an outlaw again. There's a sort of sanctity to him legitimately going straight when he left Dutch. Even know trying to do a 100% playthrough, I'm trying to at least get all the bandit challenges done as Arthur.

Don't know what you're talking about. My John became an accomplished zoologist.

ICMB posted:

Grab a black Arabian and Nacogdoches saddle. If I could have another horse besides that, I would get a second Black Arabian with a Nacogdoches saddle in case someone temp kills the first one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

give me a prequel starring Uncle

Has the fan theory that he’s the protagonist of red dead revolver ever been officially debunked?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I know this defeats ~the point~ but I kinda wonder what would have happened if Marston had just taken enough to pay off his farm and left the rest of the money there. I would think the feds would be less inclined to hunt down a few thousand if they got back the other 95% of it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is a theory that one of the things that was cut was bringing companions with you. I think one of the leaks talked about bring Marston along with you and there are promotional materials that kind of make reference to taking on gangs and the law with companions, but it's vague enough to write off.

I think it would make a lot of sense if Marston, Charles, and Sadie were supposed to be people you could travel with. I think it makes sense in terms of Charles, Marston, and Sadie don't really have a lot of campfire characterizations. Like you get more from Hosea and Uncle at camp then you do those guys. I could see there being this other characterization we lost because you were supposed to be on the move with them.

On the topic of cuts, playing through Chapter 3 right now and it really feels like there is stuff missing. Like Arthur gets deputized and it really doesn't mean anything. You do one mission in which it's relevant. I feel like there must have been more to that bit.

When my roommate was playing and hosed up early on in Chapter 2 by riding over a civilian in Valentine then shooting at cops I was surprised when the gang members who were hanging out in the bar (to lead into the mission where Bill starts a bar fight) actually come out and shoot back/take cover/have combat lines/etc. It definitely seems like a remnant of a larger concept.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

Has the fan theory that he’s the protagonist of red dead revolver ever been officially debunked?

Red Harlow appears in RDR1.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 8, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think it was refuted back in RDR1 it's just that nobody believed Rockstar because why else would he specifically wear only one glove on that hand? Of course 2 kinda made the whole thing feel less likely.

Timeless Appeal posted:

You forgot the most important part, he gets a badge!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this defeats ~the point~ but I kinda wonder what would have happened if Marston had just taken enough to pay off his farm and left the rest of the money there. I would think the feds would be less inclined to hunt down a few thousand if they got back the other 95% of it

Pinkertons were/are terrorists that wouldn't let him slide, ever.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
RDR1 had John kill/capture the rest of his gang and they still backstabbed him, it wouldn’t have mattered

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I could not in good conscience tell someone to buy an Arabian, they're such flighty and stupid horses. I hated riding mine. Once you've got a Nacogdoches saddle with the best stirrups, it doesn't really matter what horse you've got for speed, they'll all be within a single-digit % of the same top speed. Stamina won't be an issue on all but the lowest-stamina horses, and even then you use horse roids. I'd say health is the most important stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They have superior handling and great speed and acceleration.

Skittishness is an illusion and all horses behave the same. This has been tested.

If you want to avoid the skittishness intrinsic to all horses, use the calm button while riding it especially in scary situations. I know it’s left stick press on an XBox controller.

Get a Black Arabian.