Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Garrand posted:

SGF has FFVII Remake video as well and it took him about 9 minutes to take the boss down. Just scanning through Woolie's video without really watching, it looks like it took him about 15 minutes but I can see at least some of that comes from being in the menus as they talk about mechanics.

Even 9 minutes seems a bit of a slog for an action boss though.

there's videos now of people taking it out in less than three

i know that i would have beaten it a lot faster if i'd been prepared for the "oh god everything is everywhere" effect of its projectiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

there's videos now of people taking it out in less than three

i know that i would have beaten it a lot faster if i'd been prepared for the "oh god everything is everywhere" effect of its projectiles

Yeah, been meaning to ask. Many of the attacks were AOE so wide that unless there's a button for a dodge roll that puts PS2-era Kratos to shame, they didn't feel avoidable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The game is skewered towards RPG more than action. You will get hit. There are also mechanisms in place like the stagger system that forces you to think about elemental weaknesses to put them in a state where they will be extra vulnerable. The scorpion boss took me about 10 minutes mainly because it has phases like most bosses these days and each one has certain mechanics on it that you need to do or else you'll get whooped.

I thought the combat felt real good.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

Also, it may have been because I watched Woolie's play of the demo, but the boss fight felt like a bit of a slog. It had what, 5 different stages? Don't know if he was failing at it, if the bosses are overlong battles, or even if they added some HP in the demo to pad the epic part a bit.

Woolie, god bless the man, didn't hear the 3 or 4 times that the game explicitly told him to use lightning magic, except for during the one time it wouldn't work because the boss had set up a barrier against it.

on the one hand it was painful, but on the other hand it was beautiful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bonaventure posted:

Woolie, god bless the man, didn't hear the 3 or 4 times that the game explicitly told him to use lightning magic, except for during the one time it wouldn't work because the boss had set up a barrier against it.

on the one hand it was painful, but on the other hand it was beautiful.

Woolie takes twice the time to do something compared to a regular person. Always keep that in mind.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Dias posted:

Woolie takes twice the time to do something compared to a regular person. Always keep that in mind.

i've said it before:

he's the hardest working man in slow business

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jamie Faith posted:

So Nostalgia Critic reviewed the first Sam Raimi Spiderman movie...In it, he's genuinely confused by A: people screaming when they're about to die, and B: people crying after they lose loved ones...He really doesn't understand basic human emotions... :psyduck:

Heres a thread riffing on it https://twitter.com/DawsonEJoyce/status/1235340341563228160

How is the NC supposed to understand Human emotions? He is a visitor from the Clown Dimension, a Clownion. Those entities are known for a bad sense of humor and for their strange ability to bore people to death with nonsense. I'd rather be confused about how you could possibly think an alien being like the Nostalgia Critic should be able to understand us Humans

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That’s something you just see in reviews like that, where they have to try and be “rational”, and a character that doesn’t fit that mold is doing something wrong. The same kind of person tends to talk about how they would survive every kind of horror movie with their knowledge of tropes and cliches.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

When reading about the demo I saw a linked article that suggested the Honey Bee Inn has been completely rewritten due to the controversies of the original. Whether that's true or hearsay, who's to say, but if you want to see Cloud being railed by burly men you don't have to wait for the remake when fanart exists.

You have no idea

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/1223191161122115585

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does anyone know why Jim Sterling moved to the US? He was asked about his health insurance and he said that he doesn't have one and just pays for everything out of pocket. Seems like his job could be done from anywhere and the US would be the worst place for someone with his health issues. Especially when he has other options.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm fairly certain he moved as a child.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

and he has a family, doesn’t he?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

and he has a family, doesn’t he?

His parents were extremely abusive so he went no contact IIRC.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

More to the point I think he's married, so it might not necessarily be his job determining where he lives.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats a sign of true love to actually come to America for marriage.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

My trans heart :swoon:

I kind of want a JRPG now about a trans girl. WIth X-2's combat and class system.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jamie Faith posted:

His parents were extremely abusive so he went no contact IIRC.

i meant wife and kid

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RareAcumen posted:

I had faith they were going to keep the part where Cloud's recognized as the hottest girl of the group.

I'm more wondering how they're going to handle his mental breakdown later in the game. I'm pretty sure he loses it and starts punching Aeris/th at one point but I don't remember when I'm the game that was exactly.

I think with the new graphics having Cloud full on beat the poo poo out of Aeris just wouldn't work. It's fine with the lovely blocky lego models and fuzzy punching sound ffects, but I think it would feel way too close to home for too many people with the way the remake looks. Similar with trying to strangle her or something. I'm guessing they're gonna have Cloud take out his sword and swing it wildly at her, and miss her as she jumps away and Barret/Tifa stop him. That way there's no physical contact with the violence but it still shows that he loses his mind

edit: Someone beat me to this exact thing

Takoluka posted:

I imagine they're going to do more than just a basic punching animation over. My guess is that he's going to pull out the Buster Sword and start lunging at her with it while just being mind-broken as she dodges him, maybe getting clipped, and then Cid is gonna jump and be like "what the hell're you doing, ya goddamn psycho!?"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 6, 2020

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

BigRed0427 posted:

My trans heart :swoon:

I kind of want a JRPG now about a trans girl. WIth X-2's combat and class system.

:allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Man I absolutely love how sleazeball Don Corneo looks and the whole thing having a burlesque aesthetic is so perfect.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The joke here is to just go play X-2 again isnt it?

*sigh*

*reinstalls X-2*

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I think I managed to burn out on it via chain plays to get that perfect ending (because fuuuuck getting 100% legit on a first run). But just... god drat give me my trans dressup RPG. "What's my aesthetic", the game!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

I think I managed to burn out on it via chain plays to get that perfect ending (because fuuuuck getting 100% legit on a first run). But just... god drat give me my trans dressup RPG. "What's my aesthetic", the game!

The perfect ending is Tidus is revived I think, right?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I knew about all of this, though. This a trailer that absolutely hints at it being wholesome. The worry is that trailers can conveniently omit stuff to the contrary. I am happy to trust in Squeenix in this case, but I won't stan until more evidence.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

The perfect ending is Tidus is revived I think, right?

Not sure how I feel about that.

It's more nonsense than that.

Normal Ending: Yuna has a moment in the Farplane, says her goodbyes, her speech in Luca plays out and end on the Gullwings going to their next adventure.
Good Ending: on the Farplane, if you hit some specific markers like seeing Maechen's full backstory and hearing Tidus' whistle when Yuna's lost on the farplane in chapter 3, you can secretly whistle for Tidus again. The Fayth will appear and say they think they can reassemble him from his memories. Say yes, and after the normal ending plays, the teaser from the end of FFX will play with Tidus waking up underwater. The Farenheit will land and Yuna will run out and glomp him.
Perfect Ending: If you have 100% or higher completion, the Good ending will play out as normal. After, an epilogue will play, showing Tidus and Yuna in Zanarkand. Tidus philosophizes a bit about how he's still alive, and concludes it's probably Yuna's desire to see him that keeps him from fading away. There's a cute moment where she shoves him off their perch as a tease.

If you don't feel like doing all the absurd aftergame sidequests like Angra Maiyu and the like, you can instead NG+ into a second playthrough and do the opposite path in the New Yevon/Youth League split for different completion percents. Buut if you gently caress up the good ending triggers by, say, scene skipping one of Maechen's speeches, you gotta do another loop. It's great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tesseraction posted:

I knew about all of this, though. This a trailer that absolutely hints at it being wholesome. The worry is that trailers can conveniently omit stuff to the contrary. I am happy to trust in Squeenix in this case, but I won't stan until more evidence.

Never stan anything. It's not an healthy way of appreciating stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

So Nostalgia Critic reviewed the first Sam Raimi Spiderman movie...In it, he's genuinely confused by A: people screaming when they're about to die, and B: people crying after they lose loved ones...He really doesn't understand basic human emotions... :psyduck:

Heres a thread riffing on it https://twitter.com/DawsonEJoyce/status/1235340341563228160

thats some dumb sad poo poo. i think he does understand the poo poo but he needs those view money and he isnt clever or funny enough to write something interesting.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Never stan anything. It's not an healthy way of appreciating stuff.
like, the song it comes from is explicitly about this but somehow the internet decided we needed to use it as a stronger version of fan - a word that itself is short for fanatic and was never supposed to be describing a healthy expression.

stanatic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghostlight posted:

like, the song it comes from is explicitly about this but somehow the internet decided we needed to use it as a stronger version of fan - a word that itself is short for fanatic and was never supposed to be describing a healthy expression.

stanatic.

Yeah it honestly disturbs me a bit.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

hopeandjoy posted:

Con Crud, but deadly this time.
Simpsons did it:
https://www.wired.com/2009/09/pax-swine-flu-outbreak-soars-to-nearly-100-cases-of-h1nerd1/

But don't worry, flu isn't that bad, right? up to 500,000 people died worldwide from H1N1

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm going through and clearing out my 950 tab backlog in my browser and came across this excellent video on how anime was treated in Latin America in contrast to how it was treated in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vev5Gp2skhI

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

950 tabs, dude? Same hat.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

It's like the computer equivalent of a hoarder

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had no idea Woolie had an account on here!

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I thought I was a piece of poo poo with 40

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Click that watch later clock like a regular person

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ghostlight posted:

stanatic.

God, I thought I was the only person who realized this. Thank you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Looks like this has been deleted. What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

Looks like this has been deleted. What was it?

i guess the embed is still in my cache so here's a screengrab