Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Spent last week skiing, if you can call it that, in Andorra. Compared to my week in the Swiss Alps it was night and day. Basically no snow (we got 1cm midweek which was the first snow since January), permanently 8-10 degrees C and SO much busier. Resulted in very icy and slushy runs and a lot of hard work. Still fun but man was it puts it into perspective how good I had it. On one of the days in Switzerland I covered the same distance and vert as I did in 3 of the days in Andorra, with almost 3 times as many recorded runs per day (however accurate Garmin is at segmenting these).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
At the top of the Sunnegga right now...to say the snow is nice is an understatement.

The views, not so much, as it's still snowing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Was thinking about doing some night laps this week. Not so sure I want to step foot in the River Run Gondola now.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/colorado/mumps-outbreak-at-keystone-resort-grows-to-26-infections-including-two-non-employees/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ah, no big deal. You got your MMR I am sure. Although CO had a lot of anti vacers.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I need to check in on getting a booster or something

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Ah, no big deal. You got your MMR I am sure. Although CO had a lot of anti vacers.

I would assume so.

Maybe the heightened risk of Mumps will make night laps more exciting.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Seems more exciting than the glare ice it usually is.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Seems more exciting than the glare ice it usually is.

They used to groom a run or two at the end of the normal day, don't know why that stopped doing that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of my kids qualified for post season racing! The other one didn't and so I feel bad for her but I'm happy that one of them did make it. I think it's going to be pretty eye opening for her to have to race against elite kids from Vermont.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nice!

I scored in the Super G race today, which I'm really happy with since I had kidney issues last week and am definitely not feeling at 100% yet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Nice!

I scored in the Super G race today, which I'm really happy with since I had kidney issues last week and am definitely not feeling at 100% yet.
Thanks Hookshot! It was a tough season as new U14s so I'm very happy with both their results. Also congrats on the Super G and I hope you feel better soon.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m actually looking forward to getting COVID19 during Texas spring break because I have a trip to Italy planned this spring and I needs that immunity.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Thanks Hookshot! It was a tough season as new U14s so I'm very happy with both their results. Also congrats on the Super G and I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, that's sweet.

And thanks, I'll get there, I'm just weak. It's annoying that I'm too weak to do the downhills, but what can you do, better to skip them than to catch an edge and break a leg because I can't recover.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm looking to get a pair of Leki Trigger poles, what websites should I be hitting up to get them cheap?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ReverendCode posted:

I have the ions, the boots are stiffer than the old salomons I had previously. The way the binding connects to the boot makes it feel more responsive, but that might just be my dumb brain telling me the money was worth it. This is my second season on them, and I did break a boot, but it was because I was removing the rear cleat to use them for splitboarding, and in any case Burton just gave me a new set of boots.
I haven't had any trouble in deep powder, any more than normal bindings, you still have to brush the bulk of the now out of the footbed if it is super deep.
The big party piece is being able to stomp into the binding on the move, so skate a couple times, click in, then loudly complain about having to wait for skiers to play with their poles and boots and things.

To;dr. I am a believer in the new step-ons

Thank you, this is a solid recommendation.

A friend of mine just took up the sport and wants to buy his first set of gear. He asked me about step-ins, and I immediately said, no way. But after discussing it, the only reason I had was, "because I'm old and this is the way I've always done it".

highme posted:

Yes, Burton's recent iteration is exponentially better than the early garbage versions. I haven't ridden them, but a couple of guys I know who's opinion I trust converted after riding once.

It's good to have some sold recommendations on the other side. The only time I've ever ridden step ins was when I rented a K2 Clicker set up once back in like 1997. Yes, the current Burton step in looks like it solves most of the problems inherent with the Clicker. I'd like to try it myself.

Oh, and my buddy got himself a DOOM snowboard at PAX East. It's a Never Summer, actually a nice board. It's a twin-tip, it will be the perfect starter board for him.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

That's badass, I would love to have a pair of skis covered in pentagrams and some imps getting ripped up by the doom slayer. Fun day at Bachelor today. starting to feel like spring skiing. Hope we at least get another sizable storm through. I guess skiing is always better than not skiing though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thank you, this is a solid recommendation.

A friend of mine just took up the sport and wants to buy his first set of gear. He asked me about step-ins, and I immediately said, no way. But after discussing it, the only reason I had was, "because I'm old and this is the way I've always done it".

It's good to have some sold recommendations on the other side. The only time I've ever ridden step ins was when I rented a K2 Clicker set up once back in like 1997. Yes, the current Burton step in looks like it solves most of the problems inherent with the Clicker. I'd like to try it myself.

Oh, and my buddy got himself a DOOM snowboard at PAX East. It's a Never Summer, actually a nice board. It's a twin-tip, it will be the perfect starter board for him.

I’ve got two days on my step ons now and I’m still really loving them. They do make a weird clicking noise as you turn but that’s apparently normal.

Going to a super stiff boot right away may make it harder for your buddy to learn but hopefully they can start with something softer and by the time they’ve outgrown it Burton will sell them separately.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, this is very interesting to me too. Granted I love the deluxee xv for splitting.

Got out with eejit and the ladies today. Sniffed out the good snow which was awesome.

Bit late on this but looks like a nice time out!

I moved back to Golden recently after 4 years in Washington and have been getting out a little bit. I went to caribou hill on Sunday, fun enough, but the coverage was substantially less than what you all had.

Would you like to meet up and do some touring? Maybe the weekend of the 14th and 15th?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone have any experience with the Nordica Enforcer 104 free? Thinking of getting some in the sales with Salomon shift bindings as my BC Daemons died after a brilliant powder/touring week last week and my Rossi hero elite ti+ are very close to the grave from teaching small humans snowplough

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

How strict are resorts when it comes to camping out in your car overnight? I’m deciding on whether to go to Snowshoe, Seven Springs, or Jack Frost/Big Boulder this Saturday but I’d rather drive up tomorrow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Shelvocke posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Nordica Enforcer 104 free? Thinking of getting some in the sales with Salomon shift bindings as my BC Daemons died after a brilliant powder/touring week last week and my Rossi hero elite ti+ are very close to the grave from teaching small humans snowplough

I would think long and hard about shifts. I think they are pretty good but they do have issues. I would not be surprised to see a new version in 2 years to resolve those. A lot of people don't like only having a 10 degree riser. The brakes having dropping issues if your technique is poor. They do weigh more as well. The AFD is a pain.

My GF loves hers, even after having to warranty the toe piece. I have a set as well. Not sure I would do it again, maybe tectons.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Bit late on this but looks like a nice time out!

I moved back to Golden recently after 4 years in Washington and have been getting out a little bit. I went to caribou hill on Sunday, fun enough, but the coverage was substantially less than what you all had.

Would you like to meet up and do some touring? Maybe the weekend of the 14th and 15th?

No PMs I see...

Send me a text

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 5, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Macnult posted:

How strict are resorts when it comes to camping out in your car overnight? I’m deciding on whether to go to Snowshoe, Seven Springs, or Jack Frost/Big Boulder this Saturday but I’d rather drive up tomorrow.

It varies resort to resort.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

highme posted:

Funny story about old step-ins. Last weekend in the lodge before our comp one of the other volunteers tells me he brought up his "legacy" board, "it's a K2 Fatbob with step-ins." Later as I'm getting ready to head up to course I see him walking back into the lodge full Charlie Brown moping with the sole of one of his boots in his hand. Shockingly 15-20 year old glue doesn't hold up all that great.

Hey, it's me two weeks ago.

So, I have super wide feet. Like, gross loving frog feet. With high arches and a high instep, which make tall boots very difficult (just picture my foot like a ham with toes). Anyway, back in 1999, the last year that Airwalk made the Freeride boot, I got a pair of custom extra wide 10.5s, and they fit perfectly. And because of the internal ankle strap, I could easily get the boot on and off. Comfy like bedroom slippers. Perfect.

They fit so perfect that I milked them for 21 years. Granted, the last 5-6 years I've only gone riding 2-3 days a season, but hey soft boots last forever, right?
Well, they held up great until the back stiffener failed while I was riding:

Guess which one is my back foot?
Suddenly I could not carve so good anymore. :)

They had been cracking for years, with small parts falling off, but once the back broke, they weren't really snowboard boots anymore.

So, I'm thinking of buying the Burton Proton, those come in wide. Any one else with wide feet own the Burton wide boots?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

REI has 25% off their clearance skis, among lots of other items:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13893860-rei-up-to-50-off-clearance-extra-25-off-ends-3-9

I'm an low-end intermediate skiier, but don't currently own; I've just been renting in the 1-2 times I go up to Tahoe a year. Anything on sale that's worth picking up? I honestly have no idea what to look for. Budget is fairly-flexible, but I definitely don't need $800 skis. Boots I probably want to go in and try on, but is it alright to buy skis/bindings sight unseen?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shelvocke posted:

I have the Nordica Santa Ana 100 which is apparently the same thing as the Enforcer but with a different topsheet (which is the most important part of any ski purchase obv) and I love them. They're so floaty in powder, and they'll still power through crud pretty well. I'm not the biggest fan of them on groomers, but since I spend 90% of my skiing life on race skis that's kind of to be expected.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

highme posted:

It varies resort to resort.

Worst case scenario I’m sure there’s a Wal Mart or something within 20-30 minutes of each place.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, I'm thinking of buying the Burton Proton, those come in wide. Any one else with wide feet own the Burton wide boots?
I have insanely wide feet so I typically wear 4E. I haven't worn the Burton Wides but people seem to like them but I love my Salomon Wides. I wear Salomon Synapse Wide because I like a stiffer boot but Salomon also offers the Dialogue and Hi Fi, softer boots in wide too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13893860-rei-up-to-50-off-clearance-extra-25-off-ends-3-9

I'm an low-end intermediate skiier, but don't currently own; I've just been renting in the 1-2 times I go up to Tahoe a year. Anything on sale that's worth picking up? I honestly have no idea what to look for. Budget is fairly-flexible, but I definitely don't need $800 skis. Boots I probably want to go in and try on, but is it alright to buy skis/bindings sight unseen?
Well REI has their one year return policy (except electronics, 90 days) so worst case you could try something out and return/exchange it...I've been waiting for a sale just to buy boots from them entirely cause the return policy.

Buying my snowboard sight unseen was fine after doing ample research on it (reviews, size for my height/weight, etc). Bindings I got were kind of a gamble with my boots though just cause binding size ranges and boot size variation, that mostly worked out luckily. Is that the case with ski bindings as well?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good looking out.

While it is nice to demo skis if you generally know what you want just buy them.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, it's me two weeks ago.

So, I have super wide feet. Like, gross loving frog feet. With high arches and a high instep, which make tall boots very difficult (just picture my foot like a ham with toes). Anyway, back in 1999, the last year that Airwalk made the Freeride boot, I got a pair of custom extra wide 10.5s, and they fit perfectly. And because of the internal ankle strap, I could easily get the boot on and off. Comfy like bedroom slippers. Perfect.

They fit so perfect that I milked them for 21 years. Granted, the last 5-6 years I've only gone riding 2-3 days a season, but hey soft boots last forever, right?
Well, they held up great until the back stiffener failed while I was riding:

Guess which one is my back foot?
Suddenly I could not carve so good anymore. :)

They had been cracking for years, with small parts falling off, but once the back broke, they weren't really snowboard boots anymore.

Oh man I had an Airwalk snowboard as my first one ever purchased and it was a total piece of crap, that's amazing that those boots lasted that long. I just tried on a bunch of new boots and ended up spending $467 on these Grenier TM-3's this week while I was at Killington Sunday-Tuesday, so now I'm going to attempt to make them last for 20 years as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

quote:

Offer not valid on bicycles, strollers, hard-shell boats, paddle boards, any item with GPS technology, activity trackers, personal locator beacons, action cameras and accessories, avalanche transceiver and airbag products, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.

Well poo poo, so much for that.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

spwrozek posted:

I would think long and hard about shifts. I think they are pretty good but they do have issues. I would not be surprised to see a new version in 2 years to resolve those. A lot of people don't like only having a 10 degree riser. The brakes having dropping issues if your technique is poor. They do weigh more as well. The AFD is a pain.

My GF loves hers, even after having to warranty the toe piece. I have a set as well. Not sure I would do it again, maybe tectons.

I wasn't aware of the drawbacks, I get nothing but hype from my Swiss ski friends. I heard rumours that they're developing shift 2 so maybe I'll wait.

HookShot posted:

I have the Nordica Santa Ana 100 which is apparently the same thing as the Enforcer but with a different topsheet (which is the most important part of any ski purchase obv) and I love them. They're so floaty in powder, and they'll still power through crud pretty well. I'm not the biggest fan of them on groomers, but since I spend 90% of my skiing life on race skis that's kind of to be expected.

That's pretty much what I heard so they look to be what I want

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yuns posted:

I have insanely wide feet so I typically wear 4E. I haven't worn the Burton Wides but people seem to like them but I love my Salomon Wides. I wear Salomon Synapse Wide because I like a stiffer boot but Salomon also offers the Dialogue and Hi Fi, softer boots in wide too.

Those look nice, but after demoing a pair with BOAs, I could not go back to conventional laces. It's that much better.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Squashy Nipples posted:

Those look nice, but after demoing a pair with BOAs, I could not go back to conventional laces. It's that much better.
They have the Salomon Dialogue Focus Boa Wide as well. But you'll probably be better served by Burton as far as lacing choices go.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I would do a Copper day and probably a Breck day. A-Basin if you want to get rowdy.

I'm back from my mini vacation. Thanks for this advice--we did Breck Monday, A-Basin Tuesday and Copper Wednesday. Breck was fun for exploring and cruising, but A-basin and Copper were amazing. We rode every zone of A-basin and had the most fun exploring the far sides of the Montezuma bowl and traversing out on the East Wall as far as possible to cruise pow in the lower east wall area. At Copper we made our way up to Spaulding bowl and found so many untouched stashes that we spent the whole day lapping it.

Overall it was awesome to see big ski resorts and big terrain in the US. I had never ridden any alpine terrain like chutes, cornices or bowls before, so I had a blast hitting those. I couldn't believe how dry the snow stayed even two or three days after the last snowfall. I was expecting sun crusts and slush, but everywhere we rode there was a soft packed powder base with dry powder on it. With a little more experience judging the snow in those conditions I think I'd spend more time in the chutes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mongoose posted:

I'm back from my mini vacation. Thanks for this advice--we did Breck Monday, A-Basin Tuesday and Copper Wednesday. Breck was fun for exploring and cruising, but A-basin and Copper were amazing. We rode every zone of A-basin and had the most fun exploring the far sides of the Montezuma bowl and traversing out on the East Wall as far as possible to cruise pow in the lower east wall area. At Copper we made our way up to Spaulding bowl and found so many untouched stashes that we spent the whole day lapping it.

Overall it was awesome to see big ski resorts and big terrain in the US. I had never ridden any alpine terrain like chutes, cornices or bowls before, so I had a blast hitting those. I couldn't believe how dry the snow stayed even two or three days after the last snowfall. I was expecting sun crusts and slush, but everywhere we rode there was a soft packed powder base with dry powder on it. With a little more experience judging the snow in those conditions I think I'd spend more time in the chutes.

Sick man. Glad it worked out well.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Shelvocke posted:

I wasn't aware of the drawbacks, I get nothing but hype from my Swiss ski friends. I heard rumours that they're developing shift 2 so maybe I'll wait.

That's pretty much what I heard so they look to be what I want

Yeah, I am not saying don't get them. They fit a good segment and are pretty cool. I like not being on pins going down. But I am also not a great skier and having good reliable release is nice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1235774983504302081

Idunno you guys. I want to make jokes like normal times but…just…stay safe friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm going to Tahoe this weekend and picking up my dad at the Sacramento airport on the way, there is no way I don't have this poo poo by late March.

gently caress it, the skiing will be worth it, I'd just get it at home anyways