Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

H2SO4 posted:

Is it typical cable internet service or fiber? Because when I had a comcast biz line with DHCP I just used my own Arris modem and gave their gateway back. That being said, I'm almost positive I had the same modem you did and never had any issues with bridging, although I did have a block of static IPs.

It's cable. I'm pretty sure there are a few options for BYOModem, so I might just go that route next time I'm physically at that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I already ordered this patch panel, but could return it still.

Talking only about the patch panel, I used it for a retrofit for my condo and it's been flawless as far as I can tell. It's perfect for hiding away in a closet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Help me understand what this would look like. Do you have a picture?

Even if I had a 19" network rack to hold the router and modem, wouldn't I still need something like a patch panel embedded in the wall? I don't want a bunch of cables just splayed out of a hole in the wall.

A 19” rack can hold stuff inside nice and tidy, a 10” rack will require some gymnastics to fit everything. A patch panel is required on both really so I omitted that part. A layout like devmd01 is pretty much what I would suggest if you don’t want to get a bulky closed rack

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't think of a good reason to ever get those 10" racks - they look just as ugly as a 19" and in exchange you get to have a hugely reduced selection of things to put in them. If you really can't have a 19" cabinet then save yourself the money and put a wooden board up on the wall to screw things to, with a shelf underneath it.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Tiny 19" rack with a patch panel is the way to go. If you don't want to commit to a traditional patch panel for some reason, you could always get one of the panels that just has a bunch of empty spots for keystone jacks. It'll very likely end up being more expensive, but the one good thing there is that you can mix and match different media types by using different keystone jacks. So you could for example terminate all of the coax runs for satellite to the same place and centralize that as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Alternate option along those lines, I put an IDF in the second floor laundry room to eventually run cameras to. Something like this might work.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I think I'll go with the patch panel and a 19" rack mounted right next to it.

This'll be in the garage (that's where my fiber connection from the ISP already terminates), so I'll mount it high on one of the walls to keep it mostly out of the way.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

devmd01 posted:

Alternate option along those lines, I put an IDF in the second floor laundry room to eventually run cameras to. Something like this might work.

you done good, but two things:

1) who's handing off multi-mode fiber these days or where is it feeding from? If your other fiber (or fiber source) is yellow fiber then it's single mode, and you should not mix & match.
2) fiber should be looped into a 2-4" bend radius service loop -not bundled like that. Also a shorter fiber patch could be ordered for < $10 from amazon, fiberstore (fs.com) , or monoprice

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There’s a pic at the bottom of the last page, the fiber feeds down to the main rack in the basement. 2 x OM4 MM and compatible keystones as well as 4 x cat6e.

The orange crap is free OM3 from work, I’ll get proper length patch fibers when this actually gets used. Doesn’t really matter right now since I only have 1gig sfp capable equipment currently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't orange OM1/OM2? OM3 is light blue.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't orange OM1/OM2? OM3 is light blue.

You can order fiber in any jacket color. One time I thought it would be hilarious to buy all black jacketed fiber. I was wrong.

Plus for 1G it basically doesn't matter assuming they aren't anywhere near the 550m run length limit. I'm sure they're getting a lot of attenuation but not enough to actually make a difference.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We've just switched to mobile lte broadband, which is nice enough, but I'm fretting about finding the bestest signal. What's the best app for testing spots around the house?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm experimenting with IPv6 at my home now that I have an ISP that uses it. I'm pretty much a pro at IPv4 networking in a SMB environment, so this is good for me ot learn and apply locally first.

I have IPv6 working fine on my home network's Mikrotik, but now I am just curious about managing my network, ie: DHCP reservations. I'm aware that IPv6 doesn't use those, but all of the SLAAC addresses are pretty BS for trying to get to stuff like local hosts quickly. (On IPv4 I would have reservations for like 192.168.1.100 for my home server, 192.168.1.101 for AP, etc)

Do I need to go down the route of a local DNS to properly manage those local devices like I used to with reservations, or do I need to set up a secondary DHCPv6 server to run in parallel with my dhcp client on my WAN port. That secondary server would then push down secondary IPs that are more managable, like WANADDRESS::1:100 or such instead of the long hex gibberish of SLAAC?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I misspoke, it’s OM3 between the panels and OM2 patching in up top. Works well enough for 1G for now, with capability for 10G once I get the right equipment. I ran fresh coax from the Comcast splitter outside to the rack; now the power return line for the splitter is on the battery backup.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

jeeves posted:

I'm experimenting with IPv6 at my home now that I have an ISP that uses it. I'm pretty much a pro at IPv4 networking in a SMB environment, so this is good for me ot learn and apply locally first.

I have IPv6 working fine on my home network's Mikrotik, but now I am just curious about managing my network, ie: DHCP reservations. I'm aware that IPv6 doesn't use those, but all of the SLAAC addresses are pretty BS for trying to get to stuff like local hosts quickly. (On IPv4 I would have reservations for like 192.168.1.100 for my home server, 192.168.1.101 for AP, etc)

Do I need to go down the route of a local DNS to properly manage those local devices like I used to with reservations, or do I need to set up a secondary DHCPv6 server to run in parallel with my dhcp client on my WAN port. That secondary server would then push down secondary IPs that are more managable, like WANADDRESS::1:100 or such instead of the long hex gibberish of SLAAC?

I'd lean towards running DNS on your local network. You can likely configure this on whatever you have running DHCP, and should be able to associate DNS names with devices as they identify themselves to the router once and have it stick.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

You can set up a DHCPv6 server to pass out ULAs for purely-local stuff with some static mappings as one option. Feel free to combine that with local DNS.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 26, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chubby Henparty posted:

We've just switched to mobile lte broadband, which is nice enough, but I'm fretting about finding the bestest signal. What's the best app for testing spots around the house?

Do you mean a modem/router that uses a LTE connection? I use Wi-Fi SweetSpots to map my apartment for a typical Wi-Fi signal. Remember to keep the device (with any app) still to get the most consistent read-out of the signal.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

astral posted:

You can set up a DHCPv6 server to pass out ULAs for purely-local stuff with some static mappings as one option. Feel free to combine that with local DNS.

That's what I did, using this guide:

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=132657

Thanks for the heads up, folks.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Is something in the TP-Link family still recommended for "I live in a hovel but I need to stream the Great British Baking Show"? I keep seeing SmartRouters but I dont know if my government listening device also needs to control the signal. Thanks.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Fishylungs posted:

Is something in the TP-Link family still recommended for "I live in a hovel but I need to stream the Great British Baking Show"? I keep seeing SmartRouters but I dont know if my government listening device also needs to control the signal. Thanks.

Recently picked up a TP-Link Archer A7 for ~$50 (USD on Amazon) for a small house with not great internet and it has been great. The QoS actually helps a lot too and is easy to configure. It also has band steering (SmartConnect) which allows you to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks appear as a single WiFi connection (the router then decides which network a given device should use to maximize speeds), which is a nice feature to see in a cheap router.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t trust those technologies to actually get you the best signal so I just set it up as two different networks. I have yet to find a use case where anything but 5 was better. Some (older/cheaper) devices need to be over a 2.4 network, so I just make that a hidden network.

I also have an Archer C9 and love it but I don’t gently caress with QoS or anything.

Also remember antennas don’t shoot out signal like wands, they form like a “donut” wrapped around the antenna (supposedly). I don’t know if yours has antennas but keep that in mind.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In practice I've never seen it not put me on 5GHz. I assume that's what it defaults to if the device supports it and the signal is above a certain threshold. I imagine some implementations actually do load balancing if there are a ton of connected devices (or have the option to), but I've never needed that. Also had it work fine on a Netgear router in a much larger space w/ much faster internet. Personally I like it because it's one less thing to think about when setting up a network, but it's by no means necessary. 2.4GHz has more range/penetration, so in certain situations it'll be preferable to 5GHz simply because your connection would be spotty/unreliable on 5GHz, but if you're getting a decent signal with 5GHz it'll almost always be faster.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Friendly reminder to update your Netgear routers' firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061740/Security-Advisory-for-Unauthenticated-Remote-Code-Execution-on-R7800-PSV-2019-0076
https://kb.netgear.com/000061741/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Command-Injection-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2019-0051
https://kb.netgear.com/000061760/Security-Advisory-for-Post-Authentication-Command-Injection-on-Some-Routers-and-Gateways-PSV-2018-0352

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
With an Edgerouter, and a Pi-Hole, is it best practice to put the Pi IP as the system name server, and leave the router IP as my DHCP DNS, or should I have DHCP pass out the Pi IP directly?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Moving within the next few months into a new (unknown) house, and I want to start building an idea of what I'm looking at/for. I hope to be in this place for 10+ years, meaning I'm willing to shell out a little extra to make it reliable and fast (above and beyond consumer basic gear), which is pushing me to ubiquiti.

For basic purposes, we'll call it a 2 story (plus basement - unfinished) 3300 sq-ft 4 bedroom house. I'll want some wires run out along the first floor at least (Living room, office, and WAP drops - estimating 2), but not planning for any drops in the bedrooms. No immediate plans for cams/IoT/misc. equipment. this is strictly home entertainment, computer networking and wireless configuration. Any expansion necessary at each drop would be handled by a dumb switch. The only other consideration was a pi-hole on a zero-w (wireless).

I was loosely considering a UDM Pro, 2 nanoHD and just go from there, but that doesn't handle PoE the WAPs. Patch panel and a network rack are also tentatively on the list to house it all in the basement, but not a requirement.

What would you do here?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Moving within the next few months into a new (unknown) house, and I want to start building an idea of what I'm looking at/for. I hope to be in this place for 10+ years, meaning I'm willing to shell out a little extra to make it reliable and fast (above and beyond consumer basic gear), which is pushing me to ubiquiti.

For basic purposes, we'll call it a 2 story (plus basement - unfinished) 3300 sq-ft 4 bedroom house. I'll want some wires run out along the first floor at least (Living room, office, and WAP drops - estimating 2), but not planning for any drops in the bedrooms. No immediate plans for cams/IoT/misc. equipment. this is strictly home entertainment, computer networking and wireless configuration. Any expansion necessary at each drop would be handled by a dumb switch. The only other consideration was a pi-hole on a zero-w (wireless).

I was loosely considering a UDM Pro, 2 nanoHD and just go from there, but that doesn't handle PoE the WAPs. Patch panel and a network rack are also tentatively on the list to house it all in the basemen t, but not a requirement.

What would you do here?

If you're at the point of pulling cable, I'd pull more cable than you think you need, and to places you're not thinking of putting anything in. I'd go 2 to every wall plate you're planning, plus additionally at least one for the upstairs to run the upstairs AP (nanoHD propagation is biased heavily towards the pretty side of the AP, so anything below the horizon relative to it will have way worse signal).

As far as infrastructure goes, I'd lean towards UDM-PRO and a separate Unifi (if you want) switch. After dealing with networking gear at work, the idea of separating the routing device from the switchports makes a lot of sense.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’d question the necessity of running wires to things other than APs. There isn’t a practical difference between 5GHz wifi and wired unless you’re doing webhosting on a gigabit+ connection.

e: I realize what thread I’m in. There are reasons for wired stuff, I’m just saying consider whether it’s actually necessary first.

ickna
May 19, 2004

DNK posted:

I’d question the necessity of running wires to things other than APs. There isn’t a practical difference between 5GHz wifi and wired unless you’re doing webhosting on a gigabit+ connection.

e: I realize what thread I’m in. There are reasons for wired stuff, I’m just saying consider whether it’s actually necessary first.

The more you can put on a hard wire means a better overall connection for things that you can’t.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you use LTE for residential internet without incurring massive costs or getting capped after 10GB of download?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Beverly Cleavage posted:

What would you do here?

Hit that button that shows my posts in this thread and read backwards, my house specs are pretty much identical to yours. If you’re doing the work yourself instead of paying per drop, you’ll probably come out ahead by just buying two boxes of cat6e. Definitely run two where you want just one, and four behind your av cabinet. Dumb switches may be cheap but why not do it right?

Is there a closet in the middle of the house on the first floor? That’s where I have my UAP-AC-PRO situated and I get drat near perfect signal in every corner of the house on all three floors.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fallom posted:

How do you use LTE for residential internet without incurring massive costs or getting capped after 10GB of download?

A guy I know has an LTE hotspot for home internet because he moves around for his job. He isn't a big computer nerd, so I think the only thing that would change if he didn't have to worry about bandwidth is that he might sign up for Netflix. Boring stuff like email and online shopping don't chew through too many bytes.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Thanks for the feedback, all. Definitely some things to consider on the amount of wire to run.

devmd01 posted:

Hit that button that shows my posts in this thread and read backwards.... :words:

I think I love you.

I also realize I wasn't immediately clear in my 2 drops for WAPs, I meant 1 on each floor, but from what you're saying, just the one AC-Pro may be enough? Am I reading correctly that by buying individually, the AC-PRO comes with PoE injectors? Knowing the UDM-Pro doesn't handle PoE, I wasn't sure what people were doing, but that makes a bit more sense.

Also, if I'm running 4 for the tv/media, I may well need a dedicated switch because there are 2 tvs in the house, and I'd likely have run 4 for each, plus 2+ for the office, minimum.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My AC Pro came with an injector

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fallom posted:

I did this for a few years when I lived at my parents. Except it was 3G back then and the only way I got a usable signal was mounting a giant antenna on the roof.

When 4G came along it just meant I blew through my 30GB limit faster. :(. And my parents did the same thing for years after i moved out.

When I was house shopping, I picked my current home largely because it was served by a local fiber outfit. Who later started offering Gigabit.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Edit: turns out it was in another thread

Eschat0n posted:

I can write it out here. Fundamentally, it boils down to this:

In 2016, I was paying ~87/mo for 25mbps d/5mbps u from Comcast, + ~17/mo Netflix, + ~90/mo for Tmobile (2 lines). This was about ~180-190/mo all told. Meanwhile, Ookla Speedtest.com results on my phone were compelling; I was getting ~30d/10u, and latency was roughly equivalent for gaming purposes!

I resolved to try using T-Mobile as my primary ISP.

This was not a trivial fix for me since I am a moderate user of data and I was hosting my own WordPress website from my basement; it quickly became apparent T-Mobile was not going to be providing me with an external address, even if I registered my lines as a business.

Furthermore, while T-Mobile advertised unlimited 4G data for phone use, their mobile hotspot plans had no such promise. Tethering would also throttle after a short period, unless you added a 25/mo Unlimited International addon to your phone plan. Could this really work for me?

The answer turned out to be a painful (but worthwhile) yes. In order to bring my plan to fruition, I needed the following equipment:

1 spare 4g-capable GSM phone with tethering enabled in its Android OS. I used an Alcatel IDOL 3 that I had rooted some time past; root turned out to be unecessary because nothing against ToS was done.

1 spare computer to use as my OpenWRT x86 router; I ended up opting for a little A4-5000-based board I'd pulled some time ago as a decent nigh-fanless solution; it's hugely overpowered for the job and an EspressoBin would probably be a better fit, or any OpenWRT-capable router with a decent USB port and hub.

1 standard micro USB cable - far superior tethering capability compared to wireless tethering in terms of throughput, reliability, and ease of use.

1 subscription to AirVPN (only needed if you must have an external address) - AirVPN, like many other VPNs, offers reverse port forwarding at the addresses of their exit points. These can then function as your external IP, providing you with a means to host websites, game servers, SSH access, etc - without getting an external IP from T-Mobile. An annual sub cost me ~60 USD. IT DOES NOT SERVE AS MY PRIMARY CONNECTION.

1 switch/router (optional) - this would provide the LAN and wireless capability needed for my internal network since the computer I chose for OpenWRT didn't have but 1 ethernet port (and no PCI/PCI-E extensibility). I opted for a Mikrotik hAP ac2 (https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2) because it also advertised the ability to use its USB port as the WAN connection, so it felt like a good professional backup solution if my OpenWRT venture proved unworkable; if you're uncomfortable with OpenWRT but familiar with the Mikrotik RouterOS or just want a nice optimized little box that does it all, this might be a very good solution for you.

1 efficient computer with a decent-sized SSD and 2x gigabit ethernet (optional) - this was used to create an IPFire transparent caching firewall (utilizing the Squid caching proxy). This really isn't necessary, but if you're concerned about overwhelming the T-Mobile "unlimited" connection, HTTP and OS Update CDN caching can be done very easily with this linux distribution and it will cut down to some extent (by my measure about 10% on your network utilization).

1 efficient computer or VM/docker image running PiHole (optional) - this was used to run a network-wide DNS-based adblocker. DNS-based adblockers also cut down on network traffic, so this felt like a no-brainer as long as I was worried about angering the T-Mobile bandwidth throttling gods. This turned out not to be necessary, but I keep it in use because why not?

The basic agreement with T-Mobile goes something like this:

3 phone plans on their family plan for ~140/mo, + Unlimited International on the third plan for 25/mo. This last line will be on the extra phone and it will act as my house's modem. As an added benefit, the family plan included a Netflix subscription. By going into my T-Mobile account and specifically disabling their "HD video" feature under "Media Settings," I was able to remove throttling of HD video and sound on my connection and get a good HD Netflix experience.

You install some USB-related packages so OpenWRT can work with the USB ports, then connect your phone to the port using the cable and tether it. In the OpenWRT LUCI web interface, configure your WAN bridge to use the tun0 connection (that's your tether), and do DHCP on the ethernet port. Then connect a switch or commercial router to the ethernet and make sure it's acting as a DHCP client on the port you connect with, and a DHCP server (or in the case of a switch, DHCP "passthrough") on all its other ports and wifi.

On the phone, I simply installed a few apps I thought would help me treat the phone more like a modem, set most of its power-related settings to the most efficient, plugged it into my wall, and then plugged the USB cable into the router and initiated tethering.

Install an OpenVPN client on servers you want to have external access to and set up the port forwarding rules using the VPN's interface. Generate the VPN connection stuff and get that connection working.

I won't go into the vagaries of configuring IPFire transparent caching or the PiHole thing, as those aren't really necessary for this to work.

At the end of the day, I serve about ~10 devices in my home with HD video streams, gaming, and file downloading that reaches about ~600gb per month (far over the T-Mobile 50gb/mo throttle "warning" they put into the contract to scare away abusers). Performance typically reaches ~80d/30u after a recent tower upgrade went through; it was about 40d/15u prior. Latency is almost always sub 10ms; I can easily play Battlefield 1 and other such games over this connection while simultaneously streaming to Twitch and having my wife watch Netflix in the next room. Total cost to me ends up being a little less than Comcast for much more performance than what they had been offering me.

Let me know if you have any questions. My vested interest in this is a personal crusade against Comcast.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 6, 2020

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Fallom posted:

You go back in time to when people were still selling unlimited plans for mobile hotspots, and throw that SIM into an LTE modem with ethernet out. Even then you'll usually eventually get capped unless you're using something like an actual residential LTE provider.

A common place to look for recommendations in this vein is RV forums.

edit: that post above me is a nightmare. You don't need to hack up an android phone, just get an LTE to Ethernet modem and plug it into a router the same way you'd do it if you were using a traditional broadband connection. Some routers can use a USB header to support a USB LTE modem directly as well.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 6, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

You go back in time to when people were still selling unlimited plans for mobile hotspots, and throw that SIM into an LTE modem with ethernet out. Even then you'll usually eventually get capped unless you're using something like an actual residential LTE provider.

This is exactly what I did.. There used to be several resellers of Verizon's service that offered far more data than Verizon did for much less cost. The provider I was with at the time had a 30GB limit, but they also had plans with up to 90GB when 4G first came around. I actually used a small Windows XP PC with the 3G/4G stick plugged into it and Windows Internet Connection Sharing turned on as my "router".

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a buddy who does it with an AT&T "unlimited" iPad SIM with one of these and a couple of these yagi antennas. Gets pretty good service.

Looking at doing it at our river house once it gets built since the only other option is 3mb DSL.

You can still get the iPad SIMs, and you do technically get de-prioritized during peak usage times, but I know several people using this setup now.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Has anyone had experience with Calyx Institute? Seems like it'd be a good choice for residential LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have a few services running on my home network that I’d like to access remotely. I already have a staticIP service and an OpenVPN server running so that all works great. I’d like to have a password protected portal so I could hit these services from any machine instead of just ones VPN’d into the network (with proper credentials of course) any suggestions of where to start on this?