Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

Oh poo poo, I just found out Review just got put out on DVD. This is important.

I’ve never even heard of this show but Andy Daly is hilarious so I’m gonna have to seek it out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh dude, it’s amazing and the most Andy Daly thing ever. You’ll be up all night binging it now.

Shame it’s a DVD when it was broadcast and available online in HD but hey.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh dude, it’s amazing and the most Andy Daly thing ever. You’ll be up all night binging it now.

Shame it’s a DVD when it was broadcast and available online in HD but hey.

I get that it might be marginally cheaper to print a DVD but at this point the only people who would want this have to universally prefer Blu-rays.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah I bought Over the Garden Wall on DVD to support Pat McHale and to try to encourage a blu-ray release but it definitely chafed in like 2018 or whenever that happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jaws is getting a UHD release in June.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cloks posted:

I get that it might be marginally cheaper to print a DVD but at this point the only people who would want this have to universally prefer Blu-rays.

I feel like it's an endless loop of "We can't spend the money to put this on blu-ray because not enough people will buy it."

::releases to DVD::

"SEE NO ONE BOUGHT IT!"

RichterIX posted:

Yeah I bought Over the Garden Wall on DVD to support Pat McHale and to try to encourage a blu-ray release but it definitely chafed in like 2018 or whenever that happened.

I still surprised that Gravity Falls got a blu-ray release. Alex Hirsch himself was convinced it wouldn't happen and even said that it was unlikely there would even be a complete series set of any kind.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I slapped the buy button so fast when that came out. OtGW pisses me off because it would handily fit on one disc, they could easily do a limited run or something like that and I can't imagine it wouldn't make at least a little money. It wasn't terribly popular but the people who love it tend to be obsessed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

With all the stuff being produced in HD and then released on physical formats in SD it's almost like they want people to pirate it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
DVDs are still king when it comes to shovelware for small children. The sheer volume of cheap $5 DVDs that come out with bad CGI trucks on them is mind-boggling

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

DVDs are still king when it comes to shovelware for small children. The sheer volume of cheap $5 DVDs that come out with bad CGI trucks on them is mind-boggling

I figured this is why cartoons get lovely treatment but what about stuff like Review or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

There's also still a pretty large group of people who exclusively dig through those clearance bins at Walmart or Best Buy for their movies. And if you're still watching DVDs you can find almost anything in those bins for $5 or less, so it's a super cheap way to build up a movie collection.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPL593H posted:

I figured this is why cartoons get lovely treatment but what about stuff like Review or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

The first five seasons of IASIP were in 480i so they have a excuse there. The last ten years? , not so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Island Nation posted:

The first five seasons of IASIP were in 480i so they have a excuse there. The last ten years? , not so much.

I know about the first five. But then they did like three seasons on blu-ray, then one or two on DVD again, and then one or two are made on demand DVDs and the rest have no physical releases at all. I've mentioned this a bunch in the thread but it's just baffling considering that this is a huge hit show that's still very popular and not some mid-90s sitcom no one remembers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

There's also still a pretty large group of people who exclusively dig through those clearance bins at Walmart or Best Buy for their movies. And if you're still watching DVDs you can find almost anything in those bins for $5 or less, so it's a super cheap way to build up a movie collection.

There's nothing good in those bins either, it's 98% crap.

Walmart's regular movie section baffles me honestly. It's 25% children/family movies, 25% TV series (on DVD only), 20% anime, 10% good to decent movies, 5% movies you've heard of somehow, but you don't know how, and then the remaining 15% is just crap you've never heard of.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

I work in a library where we regularly have donations for our shelves or sales, and if there are any that we can't use I'll pick up like a half-dozen free DVDs. Maybe I'm in the minority of Physical Media People, but DVD quality doesn't even really bother me. Blu ray is better, UHD is ideal but DVD is still what I consider watchable. Modern DVDs are far and away better than what they were two decades ago.

If I buy new, I buy blu ray exclusively, otherwise if it's used I'll pick up some DVDs at a flea market or free from work donations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

I still surprised that Gravity Falls got a blu-ray release. Alex Hirsch himself was convinced it wouldn't happen and even said that it was unlikely there would even be a complete series set of any kind.
Yeah, I got to meet him once at a table-read event organized to hype season 2 and he was totally like "yeah it's out of my hands and there would be sets out yesterday if I could"

Who knows what favors Shout Factory pulled to get it to happen.

Oh, yeah, it's my personal opinion that Animation should at least get a Blu release. Interlacing on animated shows sucks.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 5, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m still irritated that the last few seasons of Adventure Time were just dumped out on DVD instead of blu like the other seasons. It really kills any desire to even buy the sets at all since half the reason to watch that show is for the fantastic visuals.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

There's nothing good in those bins either, it's 98% crap.

Walmart's regular movie section baffles me honestly. It's 25% children/family movies, 25% TV series (on DVD only), 20% anime, 10% good to decent movies, 5% movies you've heard of somehow, but you don't know how, and then the remaining 15% is just crap you've never heard of.

That last 15% is Right-Wing Christian agitprop that loving rakes in money

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m still irritated that the last few seasons of Adventure Time were just dumped out on DVD instead of blu like the other seasons. It really kills any desire to even buy the sets at all since half the reason to watch that show is for the fantastic visuals.

Tell me about it. One day I'm going to pay the $100 to import from Australia to finish the set off in bluray.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holding out for box sets or better prices on things has screwed me in the past, but I'll always be thankful that the individual Adventure Time sets were too pricy for me at release and I can keep hoping for a complete set someday.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Like we can get in NZ?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a good thing those last few season suck. :smug:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
God, streaming just hosed it all up. Why buy the shows? They’re on Netflix, except now they’re on 10 different services and the visuals are “HD” enough so why bother w a true HD presentation on BluRay?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

God, streaming just hosed it all up. Why buy the shows? They’re on Netflix, except now they’re on 10 different services and the visuals are “HD” enough so why bother w a true HD presentation on BluRay?

I'm always having to defend my collection. Yes, I like it because that means I always have it, no deciding to hit up Netflix and discover that it's no longer there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, yeah, it's my personal opinion that Animation should at least get a Blu release. Interlacing on animated shows sucks.

It's cool that there's internet projects who take the original DVDs of animated shows and do a proper upscale and do a pretty solid job of making absolute garbage looking releases pretty drat watchable now. Been watching the King of the Hill ones and they look plenty fine.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's cool that there's internet projects who take the original DVDs of animated shows and do a proper upscale and do a pretty solid job of making absolute garbage looking releases pretty drat watchable now. Been watching the King of the Hill ones and they look plenty fine.

never heard of this before, but now i must know more.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm always having to defend my collection. Yes, I like it because that means I always have it, no deciding to hit up Netflix and discover that it's no longer there.

I got to show my fiancee the difference between the blu ray of The Godfather and the HD-but-low-bitrate streaming version on Netflix. She's blind as hell and still was impressed at the difference.

VinSyn is also doing a boxset of forgotten giallo, hell yeah

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Vagabundo posted:

Like we can get in NZ?

hey uhhhh gently caress you

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

RichterIX posted:

hey uhhhh gently caress you

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Adventure-Time-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/248104/

My copy is on the way.

We can also get Top Secret! from Australia. :smug:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 6, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I vaguely recall that Australia was also the only place to actually put every season of Dexter’s Lab on dvd instead of the single barebones season we got here. Aussies must love Cartoon Network.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I vaguely recall that Australia was also the only place to actually put every season of Dexter’s Lab on dvd instead of the single barebones season we got here. Aussies must love Cartoon Network.

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast as well. Does anyone know why other countries get the rights to release all kinds of US films and shows when the US doesn't? This seems like an Egbert Souse question.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I work in a library where we regularly have donations for our shelves or sales, and if there are any that we can't use I'll pick up like a half-dozen free DVDs. Maybe I'm in the minority of Physical Media People, but DVD quality doesn't even really bother me. Blu ray is better, UHD is ideal but DVD is still what I consider watchable. Modern DVDs are far and away better than what they were two decades ago.

If I buy new, I buy blu ray exclusively, otherwise if it's used I'll pick up some DVDs at a flea market or free from work donations.

Really, I'd wager the average goon has living memory of analog antenna television and VHS cassettes, I don't get this recent animosity for DVD. Unless it's become the kind of situation like the sunset of VHS where the only companies still producing them were the cheapo ones because nobody else could turn a profit, but that doesn't sound like it's the case.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Really, I'd wager the average goon has living memory of analog antenna television and VHS cassettes, I don't get this recent animosity for DVD. Unless it's become the kind of situation like the sunset of VHS where the only companies still producing them were the cheapo ones because nobody else could turn a profit, but that doesn't sound like it's the case.

I'm not anti-DVD. I still own plenty of them and will watch stuff on DVD. But if blu-ray is an option I won't ever buy the DVD. Hell, I still watch poo poo on tape if it's the only option.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Iron Crowned posted:

I got M*A*S*H on DVD because Hulu put up the new HD remasters, and they're the versions with the laugh track.

In 2019, I think there's been enough successful shows without laugh tracks that you can loving present M*A*S*H without it. It's accurate to the original airing, but it's not what the producers wanted.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Streaming services will go to war over the rights for popular sitcoms. I wouldn't be shocked if studios were intentionally withholding releasing series on physical media to boost their value to Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Office was a decent sitcom, or at the first couple seasons were. I didn't really pay attention to it after that. Why people want to watch all the way through it over and over again like it's the loving Bible is something I'll never understand.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I bought the Cowboy Bebop movie on Blu-ray from Australia in a rage buy to punish myself for not buying it the 700 times I saw it for like $8 at Walmart and now it's out of print and loving expensive

See also: why I hope Gamera the Brave is in the new Arrow set

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

The Office was a decent sitcom, or at the first couple seasons were. I didn't really pay attention to it after that. Why people want to watch all the way through it over and over again like it's the loving Bible is something I'll never understand.

Because it's soothing, nonthreatening and comes in easily consumable chunks that also lend themselves well to bingeing. Even shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld that are held up as "anti-sitcoms" have a rhythm to them that people can easily settle into. It's something to keep you company while you fold laundry.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast as well. Does anyone know why other countries get the rights to release all kinds of US films and shows when the US doesn't? This seems like an Egbert Souse question.

from what I understand (this might be off-base), it's not super dissimilar to how anime gets handled in the US

basically, these things don't get theatrical distribution or aren't on TV, so home media is straight up the only way to do anything with the stuff they license. so, home media comes out. meanwhile, in the US there's other avenues that are generally considered more profitable (which the rise of streaming has only exacerbated, essentially giving studios an opportunity to home-release stuff without actually having to spend anything on production and replication costs) so sometimes stuff just doesn't come out when you'd expect it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RichterIX posted:

I bought the Cowboy Bebop movie on Blu-ray from Australia in a rage buy to punish myself for not buying it the 700 times I saw it for like $8 at Walmart and now it's out of print and loving expensive

I swear I just bought that for like $8 just 6 months ago at Walmart.