Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hello Goodmine!

There isn't really anything special in this thread but I feel it's a very accurate time capsule of what we lived through the past 4+ years and how we felt and dealt with everything. I believe this is worth saving in a notable place.

-graph
------------------------------------------------------------

all the big tech firms in the seattle area are now in 'wfh unless you have to mode', for at least the rest of the month.

i got a laptop, yubikey, and hail e satan's pretzel recipe so i think i'm fully prepared. i'll report back on the results of my first batch.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep mandatory wfh till further notice here. my 27" 4k monitor gets shipped monday

i 99% wfh anyways so it's business as usual but i get a nice monitor out of it so

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nice. also jonny i really enjoyed you showing soyboy smythe how it's done. i used to look up to that guy!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i live and work in a small metro area in flyover country so im not expecting to have to do this anytime soon if ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

no mandatory wfh yet north of the border in vancouver. wouldn't mind if there's a week or two of it though. roll out of bed at 9am, log into jabber, schedule some power naps throughout the day as "meetings"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/calbucci/status/1235612841027104769

poo poo's wild. we're definitely gonna have a recession imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lmao of course two hours after I post "no panic yet" the corporate covid-19 policy goes out

annual spring training pushed back to fall training, non-critical travel halted, mass wfh preparations being implemented, reminders on how to properly function in society (wash your goddamn hands)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

""""working"""" from home in seattle crew reporting in, might take the motorcycle out for a spin later the traffic is insanely light and the weather is great :)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i was told to put in all my property pass/VPN/etc paperwork today :woop:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cwhfs: walking around the lake in the sunshine

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i hope that a conference i need to attend is not cancelled

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

anyone itt get the coronavirus yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is a great reminder to all that you could have always worked from home and that your betters just wanted to punish you for no reason

also: working from home

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i like going to work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sup homeposters. been working from home all week even though corporate policy hasn’t mandated it yet. but they’re strongly hinting that they will soon.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
welp work from homing is approved and I think im going to take advantage

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i want to work from home. give me this corolla virus thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

convince yourself, then your employer, that you're too depressed to get out of bed and they might let you wfh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sometimes. they still expect me to go in Monday :rolleyes:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
hi from london, and same

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

convince yourself, then your employer, that you're too depressed to get out of bed and they might let you wfh

gimme the coromavirus!!!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

gimme the coromavirus!!!!!

the virus was inside you all along

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

just went for a run on the lake... my foot is still recovering from a sprain a couple of months ago and my right knee is consistently bothering me but I enjoyed it all the same

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jonny 290 posted:

yep mandatory wfh till further notice here. my 27" 4k monitor gets shipped monday

i 99% wfh anyways so it's business as usual but i get a nice monitor out of it so

Which monitor did you get? I've been going down the 27" 1440 144hz rabbit hole and it seems everything is sold out. Probably due to supply chain poo poo.

WFH in seattle area as well. mgmt OK'd people coming in and taking their good work monitors home so i'll probably do that tomorrow. Except none of them have stands and I really don't want to bring that loving mount home....hmm

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was looking for a 4K monitor with usb c and basically the options out there are mostly garbage. the rare few can’t be seen in person and take weeks to deliver

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://twitter.com/calbucci/status/1235612841027104769

poo poo's wild. we're definitely gonna have a recession imo.

yeah lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I was looking for a 4K monitor with usb c and basically the options out there are mostly garbage. the rare few can’t be seen in person and take weeks to deliver

usb-c is good for phones but it sucks rear end for things like that and docks cause the cable gauges tend to be too thick for the tiny connector. they should have made it either magnetic or given it a latch like display port has.

maybe Microsoft should have made the surface connector non-proprietary. it worked pretty well but it was stupid to have to carry it around instead of something standardized.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have corona virus and I'm going to sneeze and cough all over your car door handle when you stop at a crosswalk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
we have a guy at work that started to complain to our contract HR department (we don’t really have one, we just pay them to do bullshit clerical work) of people coming in and sneezing. an intern got an email scolding her but as the most senior (and first) employee I’m immune to that.

I’ve been faking a cough for a few days now and have been using “not now I feel like poo poo” as an excuse to blow him off when he asks stuff. I can tell it’s driving him nuts.

love 2 troll my coworkers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the attempt at rebranding from coronavirus to avoid making a beer company sad is the biggest bullshit ever

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I have corona virus and I'm going to sneeze and cough all over your car door handle when you stop at a crosswalk

this is what im looking for itt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

give me ur tired ur poor ur disease ridden goons yearning to breathe free

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I work in an org where they picked 50% of employees and allowed them to work from home. Think about that for a second.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

I work in an org where they picked 50% of employees and allowed them to work from home. Think about that for a second.

that’s a good bus factor.

i know I could pick 50% of our staff and decide who was worth letting live and who wasn’t

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
don’t know what we’d do for javascript developers, though

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best part is that it was by seniority so all the managers and adults are going to be at home while all the college grads are going to be going lord of the flies in the office.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
first time I was left to my own devices for work I got so drunk I spent a grand in the VIP room of a strip club in Vegas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

the attempt at rebranding from coronavirus to avoid making a beer company sad is the biggest bullshit ever

you mean the wuhan flu?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it had nothing to do with a beer company.

Wuhan flu is bad because loving morons started not going to asian owned businesses, also it's not a flu
"coronavirus" is bad because that's like calling it "a windows" when tech support asks your OS
ncov 2019 was okay
Covid 19 is a good name. Unique and easy to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my folks live in southern Indiana and are friendly with shop owners and all that. apparently the Korean woman who runs a restaurant they like had somebody look at her and literally run away in Home Depot.