Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sounds like estates got redone again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

oddium posted:

im going to get so many pu's on ai

Um, this is certainly going to make a lot of things easier. No more no-cb'ing your way into Ireland.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fuligin posted:

Sounds like estates got redone again

Yeah, they no longer control specific provinces, among other stuff.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-august-2019.1231900/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

im going to get so many pu's on ai

I think that's ONLY if you use the 'Introduce New Heir' mechanic, which is basically player only?

quote:

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

So when you push the button to introduce a new heir everyone you're royal married too gets a CB on YOU.

But...

quote:

As of right now, the feature ((intro new heir)) is avoided by the AI, specifically because the player want their PU's and it's a bit dangerous risk to take ending up with a low legitimacy heir.

It's not a blanket thing where you get claim throne on everyone you marry a princess too.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 3, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

noooooo

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Doesn't Restoration of Union CB allow you to turn the tables on your attacker and become the senior partner? Is Claim Throne the same?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Whats the average time between name announcement and actual patch?

Also excited for a Hussite run.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Man, not being able to form trade companies as China in a ton of areas where you'd want to is really annoying. Like I get not being able to do it in my main land but you'd think I'd be able to turn the Phillipines into one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

They mean that estates were remade again after this implementation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The early warning for capping monarch points is something I've wanted since literally day 1. I guess posting my suggestion for claim fabrication established a psychic link between me and Groogy :psyduck:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I loving love how every nation in Asia is extremely eager to sell their provinces to Europeans

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

I loving love how every nation in Asia is extremely eager to sell their provinces to Europeans and Middle Easterners.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

I loving love how every nation in Asia is extremely eager to sell their provinces to Europeans and Middle Easterners and East Africans.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Good lord, yes. It makes a conqueror like me weep.

"Alright, gonna get this achievement/mission for all provinces in this reg....oops, they sold two provinces to the Ottomans. Guess a hellwar is back on the menu, boys!"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Need some tips on how to pull off the Aztecs. I did the thing were I colonized the coasts to make contact with the Europeans and modernize early, which went as planned. But now its the mid 1600s and Spain and England are taking turns going psycho mode on my rear end. They have way more troops than I do and superior technology because the hefty institutions penalty and since my coastline is huge I cant really stop a naval invasion. Also everyone but the other lovely american nations hates me so I cant get any allies

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So you've managed to reform your primitive religion. That gets you 4/5ths of the way to being on equal terms with technology against that particular European country and all the institutions they've fully embraced. Typically you'll also have a lot of monarch points banked because increasing tech after conquering all your Mexican neighbours is meaningless and there's little else to spend it on while waiting for the colonizer to show up. This will get you a couple more tech levels closer. You will want to be at near parity for mil tech; the others are less important, as per usual. Dev up for institutions in plains/farmland, particularly Printing Press, will remove those heavy penalties to tech costs.

You will not gain useful allies as Indigenous. Everyone who would be useful in that are colonizing nations which already have a relations penalty and everyone else will not know about you until far too late. You're on your own!

You will typically still lose the first one or two wars if they land troops, especially if you're relatively new to the American environment and if the overlord nation holds the Caribbean. That's okay, giving provinces away that are 3 dev makes Colonial Nations show up quickly which ARE far more vulnerable to your attacks. When you declare war on them, their overlord will not be drawn into the war. When they're small, successive wars like that will gain your lost territory back plus more besides! Draining their coffers at the same time will eventually bankrupt them so they cannot field strong armies against you.

You can prevent naval invasions if the Caribbean is not part of it. They will usually have more heavies than what you could field through relying on the Burghers and spending your own ducats. But AI overlord nations are reluctant to send their own heavies in with their transports for some reason in that particular sea area. You can take advantage of that by sinking ships while troops attempting to land and, if you're practiced, you can win the war by pure exhaustion in 5 years without them ever touching your land.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cross-posting from the Stellaris thread:

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, but can activate a larger bundle discount and therefore reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Cross-posting from the Stellaris thread:

Right now there's a crazy Paradox build-a-bundle over at Humble; huge discounts on the entire Paradox catalog plus in the bundle you get an additional 80-85% off on top of those. Good time to buy some Paradox-published games if you're interested in trying EU4, Battletech, any of the Shadowrun games, etc. The bundle includes Stellaris but none of the DLCs, but those are still heavily-discounted regardless

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/paradox-build-your-own-bundle/?hmb_source=store_home

:siren: Free games for bigger discounts alert: there are numerous games available for the bundle that are like $2-3, but can activate a larger bundle discount and therefore reduce the the total cost of your cart when you add them. So even if you only want 1-2 things, you can actually get an even bigger discount + some free games by just adding cheap things to your cart.

For example: I've added Battletech Mercenary Edition (e.g. base game + season pass), Tyranny, and Surviving Mars. MSRP $185, after bundling discounts: $35. Then I add Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the cart total becomes $33.50. Then I add Hearts of Iron 3, and the cart total becomes $31.12. I'm getting a $4 discount while getting a free copy of HOI3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall.

Or say that I only wanted Battletech Mercenary Edition, on its own it's $30. Then I add some cheap games, like Majesty 2, HOI3, Age of Wonders, and Crusader Kings Complete. Now the cart costs $19.

Awesome, thanks!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bold of them to remind us that SotS2 exists.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

pax mongolica

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Gotta take exploration ideas now to see how horse archers fare against emus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
weekly plea: please groogy and friends do Literally Anything about AI armies going on transcontinental marches across thousands of kilometers of neutral land in some kind of bullshit 50k strong 16th century commando raid

(or doing that but beelining mothballed forts in hell provinces so you can dunk on them)

I really, really hate fighting wars now because it's basically a guarantee for the first half of the game that some ai will come out of the fog far from anywhere near the contested provinces and it's even worse if you have to fight for an AI ally

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 7, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst part is that I'm like 99% certain that the AI prioritizes attacking the player no matter what.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fister Roboto posted:

The worst part is that I'm like 99% certain that the AI prioritizes attacking the player no matter what.

I'm not sure about that, but I think it prioritizes mothballed forts above all else. Which makes sense and is smart in smaller, localised wars (it's free warscore and area control), but falls apart when they march across Eurasia to do it. Players are much more likely to leave forts mothballed during wars which might give it the appearance of targeting the player over other AIs. It also likes to target weaker enemies during wars to knock them out early. Again this makes sense on paper, but can also lead to it sending troops halfway around the world to target minors instead of defending its home area and can also make it look like it's singling out the player if the player is a minor allied to a bigger power.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 7, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure about that, but I think it prioritizes mothballed forts above all else. Which makes sense and is smart in smaller, localised wars (it's free warscore and area control), but falls apart when they march across Eurasia to do it. Players are much more likely to leave forts mothballed during wars which might give it the appearance of targeting the player over other AIs.

Yeah I suspect it's this, but in evenly-matched wars they absolutely will dance around both the player and other AIs and try to siege-race enemy homelands while the enemy rampages across theirs, which is extraordinarily stupid and unfun to play with.

Beelining mothballed forts makes it stupid easy to cheese them if you have the right geography, like a fort on a strait or in an attritiony shithole. Tonight I was Novgorod, got called in to help Venice vs Ottomans, and RIP most of the Ottoman army running in circles around northern Russia while Constantinople falls. They took most of my land (their war goal, which was in Venice's, they never even tried for), but lost all their european land including Constantinople to me and Venice and still refused even a white peace from me because they were "winning" in Russia. Eventually Hungary attacked them and just started walking across Asia minor loving them and that's gonna be the end of Ottos this game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Trans-continental kiting strategy. I like it

I mean, it sucks that the AI is that dumb sometimes, but hey.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure about that, but I think it prioritizes mothballed forts above all else. Which makes sense and is smart in smaller, localised wars (it's free warscore and area control), but falls apart when they march across Eurasia to do it. Players are much more likely to leave forts mothballed during wars which might give it the appearance of targeting the player over other AIs. It also likes to target weaker enemies during wars to knock them out early. Again this makes sense on paper, but can also lead to it sending troops halfway around the world to target minors instead of defending its home area and can also make it look like it's singling out the player if the player is a minor allied to a bigger power.

I'm at war with a country, and I have an ally helping me. My ally has occupied a province that I want. When I back off, to try to let my enemy reoccupy that province, they always ignore it and go for the ones that I have occupied. Like they actually go out of their way to avoid provinces that my ally has occupied.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I swear to god Groogy there had better be a cheevo for lopping every worthless crown off of Europe as Dithmarschen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i've also thought there should be something like that

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
They have a peasant's war event now, if the nobility fails hard enough let me put my anabaptist turnip farmer on the throne.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hahaha wow Korea can't finish it's missions until a random event happens for some dumb reason: cool stuff.

Also still baffling they're their own culture group, completely unrelated to everyone else. They aren't the Basques lol, who are still grouped with the Iberians!

Also great: both Spain and the Ottomans rivaling me! Fantastic! Can't wait to get double teamed by them over Mexico/Moluccas

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Spain will likely have the superior navy of the two but your primary concern should be the 100k+ Ottoman soldiers marching in from Anatolia to siege down the Korean peninsula.

I started a silly little game as Majorca. So far I've received a ton of trade war declarations over my privateering. Don't think I've ever been at 100 naval tradition before.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Has anyone ever played as the pirate republic? I vaguely remember seeing that was a thing a while ago, but I never knew the conditions for it to form or how to play as it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Has anyone ever played as the pirate republic? I vaguely remember seeing that was a thing a while ago, but I never knew the conditions for it to form or how to play as it.

You're supposed to get a cool CB "war against the world" from your government reforms but its poo poo because for some reason you need Dip 23 as well, which is when everyone gets the other good CBs anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that just giving a pirate flavored name for the imperialism cb?

Beefeater1980 posted:

Be on an island with no more than 10(?) provinces and then you need +2 stability and at least 10% privateering power in your home node. You get the raid coast button which is nicely profitable in high dev coastal areas, which aren't perma raided by Berbers. Other than that you lose estates, gain the three faction mechanic and a few neat government reforms. A more interesting republic, but if you want to raid coasts you don't want to conquer good land and it gets kinda tedious after a while.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 9, 2020

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think that DDRJake has a LP where he starts a campaign as Rhodes, i think, and turns them into a pirate republic.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The main benefit of War Against the World is -5 years of separatism. (Also lower ship building time and some faction influence /shrug)

e: I actually don't know if the -separatism goes into effect right away when you take the reform? I think it does, which is why it's pretty great.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 9, 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the most fun pirate republic is probably new providence, who start with a ton of ships and spawn from colonial nations if you pirate in the Caribbean enough.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

i did the empire of mann as it. pretty good reforms let you re-elect forever and never be hungry for mana, ability to raid everyone keeps you rich. but aside from a few events now and then sometimes you forget you're pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Star posted:

I think that DDRJake has a LP where he starts a campaign as Rhodes, i think, and turns them into a pirate republic.

That was going to be my question, if you can form a pirate republic in the Mediterranean and raid the crap out of North Africa. Sweet revenge (that costs them almost nothing)