Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
pretty sure an issue of EGM stated it was teedus right from an interview or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I played the demo and enjoyed it for the most part. The combat is a bit floaty, and I hope the game isn't as linear as the demo.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

star eater posted:

pretty sure an issue of EGM stated it was teedus right from an interview or something

There was a promotional video for FFX, I want to say it was on the Spirits Within soundtrack? But on the video there was narration and the narrator called him "tee-duss" and I was like whaaaaa?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

star eater posted:

Well, in this instance, the creators are wrong. It is straight up "TIDE-US" . Fits his water theme.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Lastdancer posted:

There was a promotional video for FFX, I want to say it was on the Spirits Within soundtrack? But on the video there was narration and the narrator called him "tee-duss" and I was like whaaaaa?

Yep

https://youtu.be/VGOySbrW0Ks

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Final Fantasy The Games

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishing with the fam posted:

Replace all names with anime grunts.

I see, so your suggestion is to change nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sidhe aren't mechanical monsters being piloted by another mechanical cat that shouts at it with megaphones. That Cait Sith is pronounced Kate Sith(like Star Wars).

Plus, knowing the correct pronunciation of "sidhe" is extremely rare, in America at least. I know so many people who go on and on about their "Celtic roots" but don't know what the Sidhe even are lol

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
It pronounced neeble-hime you fuckd

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Seh-fire-ith

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Bert

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Butz

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sofa Rot

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Post your pronunciations

May-ko
Yuh-fee
Teef-uh
Joo-nun
Nibble-hime
Gone-gaga
Ree-no
Core-el

Mah-ko
Yoo-fee
Tee-fuh
Joo-non
Neeble-hime
Gon-gaga (like Lady Gaga)
Ree-noh
Core-el

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dell_Zincht posted:

Mah-ko
Yoo-fee
Tee-fuh
Joo-non
Neeble-hime
Gon-gaga (like Lady Gaga)
Ree-noh
Core-el

This is objectively correct.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Figh-tur
Theef
Blak Belt
Red / Blak Maygh
Hwite (like Bob Ross) Maygh

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Roo-foos Sheen-Ra

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fainaru-Fantajee-Eiito

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Batafuingaa

Sunikaazu

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

yool-tim-ah wee-pon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
soon I discovered that this whole Materia thing was true... Shinra was the devil... Jenova was an alien previous to her career as a prophet... all there was left to do was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Jenova Built My Tiny Bronco

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF7 is a good game because it is the exact opposite of a CRPG. No dialogue skill checks because everyone basically has zero dialogue skills. No hallway traps. When two characters bang in front of the entire party, the screen doesn't fade to black they just bang it out on the floor with everyone watching.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I may have to break down and buy my Planet Killer gang tag.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
MY NAME IS SEFFY ROT

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shinjobi posted:

SEFFY ROT

(BONG)

seffy rot

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heath posted:

(BONG)

seffy rot

cloud: *hits bong*
red xiii: hearing someone else smoke a bong sounds like a toilet flushing
cloud: whoa could you always talk

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The White Dragon posted:

cloud: *hits bong*
red xiii: hearing someone else smoke a bong sounds like a toilet flushing
cloud: whoa could you always talk

Cid: i bet you could pack a lot of weed into that $@&# thing
Cloud: picture how big a bong it would take
Sephiroth: dude that's my mom

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Decided to play the demo.

Wow, inject the full game into my arms like NOW.

(Played using Classic Mode, will try the demo again in Normal Mode to see which I prefer.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

soon I discovered that this whole Materia thing was true... Shinra was the devil... Jenova was an alien previous to her career as a prophet... all there was left to do was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

i got materia that jingle jangle jingles

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think Tidus should be Tide-us because he's got a water sword, like the tide

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I was a kid my father overheard a friend and I talking about Sephiroth, and started to call him Zé Farofa, and as absolutely hilarious as that is to me and everyone who speaks Brazilian Portuguese I'm having a really hard time translating the joke, I am so sorry.

Edit: Google Translate being a hero and calling him Joe Crumbs.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 6, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The thing about Seffy is that while a moody guy in a long black coat with white hair and a big katana was basically the coolest thing in the world to 11 year old me, he's going to seem like such a doofy poser oval office now.

I hope they get the scenes right on the way to Nibelheim where he's acting like a basically normal guy with the other soldiers.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sephiroth's hair looked sooo heavy in the little clip at the end. Like serious headache issues for sure.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

The thing about Seffy is that while a moody guy in a long black coat with white hair and a big katana was basically the coolest thing in the world to 11 year old me, he's going to seem like such a doofy poser oval office now.

I hope they get the scenes right on the way to Nibelheim where he's acting like a basically normal guy with the other soldiers.

Cloud: So hey Joe what do you do in your free time?
Sephiroth: Real talk? Like one hundred percent? I like to play the saxophone.
Cloud: Shiiiiiit man for real?
Sephiroth: Yeah when I retire I want to make a band you know, call it Seph and the Numbers maybe. Or Jen and the Reunion.

Cloud: You know, I can play the bagpipe.

Fade to black, ominous thunder SFX.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfqkWu1Yrj8&t=10s

Sephiroth is introduced to us after our heroes were total scrubs and got owned by Shinra twice. We don't see him, we just see the devastation he wrought and that he easily killed our most hated villain at the time, President Shinra. None of our heroes could lay a finger on him but Sephiroth impaled him.

Then we get Cloud's flashback in which Cloud is totally worthless and dies in a couple seconds while Sephiroth slices up dragons and uses Level 3 All Magic and takes no damage from everything.

Then we see this scene where he just obliterates the fearsome Midgar Zolom.

Disk 1 is largely chasing after an all-powerful ghost, seeing nothing except the devastation he leaves in his wake. We don't know what he really wants or what he's really up to but we do know he's insanely, unbelievably powerful.

I think the storytelling behind Sephiroth is masterful. There's mystery and awe to everything he does.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. The excuse that "oh everyone knows who Seph is so why keep the mystery" and letting that pour inside the storytelling is extremely weak. The guy is just a name that holds no meaning until he suddenly shows up and do your party's job for you off-screen and hey, look, you're saved. Then the Midgar Zolom is essentially a mini roadblock. Presumably you'd try to cross, get your rear end kicked, then do a whole thing with a Chocobo and cross it again, only to see the thing impaled in a scene that is a bit more gruesome than the rest of the game.

You can know who Sephiroth is and there's still a tension building up at the Shinra HQ, precisely because he wasn't paraded.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've only played the demo once but i've been thinking about it the last couple of days so i think that's a good sign. i like the gameplay, it felt good to move around and hit things. i want it to be much more than that but it's a good start.

kinda wanna play the demo again but i don't want to dampen my appetite for it when the game comes out in a few weeks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Necrothatcher posted:

I always found that to be the appeal of his character. Sephiroth is insanely powerful and dangerous, sure, but he also wants to be seen as a savior figure even though nobody ever cares about what he wants to do or tries to accomplish.

There’s two key scenes where he’s actually trying to have a conversation with the gang. One when Aerith dies and he’s straight up told nobody cares about his pseudo-religious bullshit. Later, he tries to break Cloud by revealing that his memory is all hosed, and when Tifa freaks out and tries to stop him, Cloud just goes “relax, it’s just Sephiroth, we all know he’s full of poo poo.”

Nobody even tries to argue that he has a point or tries to talk him out of it. Just “this guy is supes dangerous and also batshit insane, how do we foil his schemes?” Sephiroth was always a dorky poser, rather than a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
CLOUD: here man hit this, Aeris grew it
SEPHIROTH: green Materia... heh heh
CLOUD: my mom warned me about this poo poo
SEPHIROTH: mother... lemme tell you about my mother