Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

Are there any diseases we've ever actually stopped other than smallpox?

There are many. SARS basically disappeared, this is a distant cousin seeking revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

So how is this still not a pandemic lol

It definitely is. Many major cities in the US have cases, many with no known origin. Wash those hands

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

So how is this still not a pandemic lol

WHO stopped officially classifying pandemics not long ago, but this fits the old criteria if you want to call it one.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It definitely is. Many major cities in the US have cases, many with no known origin. Wash those hands

No, it is a multiple linked local outbreak, get your facts straight.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
way back when in southern china
i was the dandy pangolin
some jerk poachers took me unwilling
moved down to wuhan
where the hell am i?
covid-19
(no we can't cough together) we can't cough
(no we can't talk at all)
please take me along when you spread on by

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Griefor posted:

No, it is a multiple linked local outbreak, get your facts straight.

That's not what I've been reading, so maybe you just misunderstood; the first cases in the Seattle nursing homes, for instance, had no known links to other areas of infection. The first case in Wisconsin had no known origin. The first case in Nevada had recently been in Seattle, but had no links to confirmed or suspected cases there, and so does not have an actual known origin. The list goes on and on

There have been dozens of new cases linked to these individuals, but what I'm talking about is the sudden appearance of new infection sources across the country that can't be directly traced to known infections more accurately than "was in the same city as another infection". But if you have newer information adding additional information, then by all means share it

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

QuarkJets posted:

That's not what I've been reading, so maybe you just misunderstood; the first cases in the Seattle nursing homes, for instance, had no known links to other areas of infection. The first case in Wisconsin had no known origin. The first case in Nevada had recently been in Seattle, but had no links to confirmed or suspected cases there, and so does not have an actual known origin. The list goes on and on

There have been dozens of new cases linked to these individuals, but what I'm talking about is the sudden appearance of new infection sources across the country that can't be directly traced to known infections more accurately than "was in the same city as another infection". But if you have newer information adding additional information, then by all means share it

That poster was being facetious because that's what the WHO is calling it because they got rid of using the term pandemic.

I thought I remembered reading that there is some sort of investment vehicle that would require the banks to pay billions if a pandemic is declared. An insurance policy or something. Does anyone know if this is real? Are the WHO not calling it a pandemic to save billionaires money?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pandemic is a great board game

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Day Man posted:

That poster was being facetious because that's what the WHO is calling it because they got rid of using the term pandemic.

Yes.

Day Man posted:

I thought I remembered reading that there is some sort of investment vehicle that would require the banks to pay billions if a pandemic is declared. An insurance policy or something. Does anyone know if this is real? Are the WHO not calling it a pandemic to save billionaires money?

IANAL but I would expect such an arrangement to contain very specific terms to indicate what a pandemic is, rather than just "WHO calls it a pandemic".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BigBabyDavid_/status/1235919179645104131?s=20

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sorry it's 5 in the morning after a redeye flight, I lack even basic faculties and why the gently caress aren't any of the bars in this airport open yet I think this might be in violation of the Geneva convention

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

holy loving poo poo that's amazing

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Twitter is the worst, but also sometimes the best.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

PastPerfect posted:

I was absolutely floored when I was able to get a refund out of them. I was about ready to take a $400 bath on my reservation on a stay in Milan last week. One call and an Email got me my $800 back.

I messaged the host before I contacted support. I got a half hearted attempt to convince me to keep the reservation. "I think that there is no problem for your helth [sic] to come to Milano but most of the place can be close [sic] "

I'm glad you did. A large part of it is that it's in Italy, where they've put some of the largest self-imposed travel restrictions out of any other country over it since they were one of the first reported locations. The kicker here is that you technically shouldn't have since Milan isn't in one of the affected regions for our policies (unless the host agreed to it, which would be fine and good

E: oh I suppose there's a chance that the host eventually agreed to it, but it doesn't sound like it after re-reading it. Hey, you lucked out!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dhgate is having a coronavirus sale on stylish, ineffective dust masks and other trendy protective equipment

https://www.dhgate.com/sales/fightncov.html

they might even arrive before the virus is over if you order today!

schmug
May 20, 2007

haha we are having a mandatory webinar at work on the coronavirus NEXT Wednesday...for salaried personnel only though lol. Meanwhile I was out of work almost all last week with what I'm 90% sure was the coronavirus. just lmao at the American response to all this poo poo. :suicide:

side note: just noticed HR is now filling all the wall mounted hand sanitizer dispensers that have all been empty for months.

schmug fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 6, 2020

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

lmfao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump is signing a bill to fund virus prevention and containment today

Nice of them to wait until it’s already probably too late

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm trying to avoid going to places with ant significant amount of people but hey at least the local rivers and lakes are pretty devoid of people.

This virus won't stop me from fishing damnit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Amarcarts posted:

River blindness is nearly there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How am I supposed to protect myself from coronavirus if no one in this airport is serving vodka, this is a public health crisis

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

I'm trying to avoid going to places with ant significant amount of people but hey at least the local rivers and lakes are pretty devoid of people.

[camera zooming in as you pick up a mysteriously infected bluegill]

OUTBREAK, DAY 1

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Charliegrs posted:

Soon, the first fish-born cases of CoVID-19,

(probably unlikely, honestly)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Amarcarts posted:

I think we were doing pretty good on rickets, but not any more.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Is it a tender roni?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Can't stop internally laughing about "the roni".

Hey boss I won't be coming into work for a bit, I've got the roni.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think we were doing pretty good on rickets, but not any more.
Polio

Also at least in the US most of the water-borne diseases like cholera are non-existent

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good news!

https://twitter.com/royalcaribbean/status/1235955486303768576?s=21

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That seems like the worst marketing speak ever.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Rodney posted:

Can't stop internally laughing about "the roni".

Hey boss I won't be coming into work for a bit, I've got the roni.

Is he the guy from the r/relationships thread who wouldn't stop speaking in a fake Italian accent? "Hey, bosserelli! Can't make it in, I got the roni and I gotta hit the drippini to wash the sweat off."

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I saw a 4 day cruise with an enormous suite (with a loving piano in it??) and free drink package for $1,200

Prices are dropping like crazy. I'm almost tempted to go on a cruise, except I would get coronavirus and poo poo my brains out, and be quarantined to my suite with nothing to do but play the piano and eat room service while pooping and coughing

But that's not a bad way to live, either... gently caress

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

smoobles posted:

But that's not a bad way to live die, either... gently caress

FTFY

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you gently caress the piano ?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think I'm healthy enough to power through, and unlimited mimosas will give me Vitamin C

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can you gently caress the piano ?

I'd be the only guest on the entire ship, I can literally do anything.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If you're the coolest guy on board just have virus orgies in your penthouse suite.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a wise old man on a mountaintop once told me that you can gently caress anything if you put your mind to it

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In 6 months you'll be able to buy a cruise ship with a half tank and dick around for a bit

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

unpacked robinhood posted:

In 6 months you'll be able to buy a cruise ship with a half tank and dick around for a bit

Yeah but I'm not paying to remove all the bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah but I'm not paying to remove all the bodies.

Open all the doors and let seagulls do their thing