Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

If they remake vagrant story, they need to find a way to do it and keep the same pixel art aesthetic

I've been shamelessly taking the concept of a dancer priest as a villain for my game/story and I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One thing I want to learn about is what the deal with Sephiroth is because all I have is my broken memories and the one time I saw advent children when it released.

I've been told he's actually a Nice Guy and you're fighting a imposter most of the game and a alien is controlling him or something to 'no he's just a rear end in a top hat' and I genuinely. Genuinely do not know what his deal is other than he has a big sword and white hair and a really silly ultimate move and is also really really strong in universe.

Like I don't even mind if someone tells me about it now, I'm just lost as to what that guy is. A Zombie? A Alien? A Dude?

He's kind of... all of those

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Werent people in the original release (other than avalanche) making GBS threads their pants over having to deal with him though? It's been a long time so I may be misremembering.

I mean he slaughters everyone in Shinra HQ and on the Shinra Cargo Ship. They have good reason to fear him.

Then he stops by the Gold Saucer and has a friendly chat with Dio which the nice buff man in his underwear tells Cloud in a P.S..

FFVII.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like I don't even mind if someone tells me about it now, I'm just lost as to what that guy is. A Zombie? A Alien? A Dude?

Likely all of the above. At the present day in the game, I think he’s a jumble of Sephiroth’s original rage and JENOVA’s planet eating instincts. Also he’s dead, but alive enough to infect the Lifestream.

Shits hosed man

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One thing I want to learn about is what the deal with Sephiroth is because all I have is my broken memories and the one time I saw advent children when it released.

I've been told he's actually a Nice Guy and you're fighting a imposter most of the game and a alien is controlling him or something to 'no he's just a rear end in a top hat' and I genuinely. Genuinely do not know what his deal is other than he has a big sword and white hair and a really silly ultimate move and is also really really strong in universe.

The original depicts Sephiroth as a stoic, legendary soldier who had a gut feeling there's something off about him.

Then he finds out he's made from alien DNA and goes mental.

I haven't played FFVII in a decade.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gologle posted:

EDIT: I want to see the full LOVELESS play that Genesis wouldn't stop going on about in FF7R. It can be a date with Tifa.

This but instead square just renders early-90s MBV and you have to sit through the whole album being played.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's never quite clear, hence all the theories. What we know: Sephiroth was a cool guy until he found out he was an abomination of science. Then he went berserk and gets tossed in the lifestream. The relationship between Jenova and the Sephiroth that washes up in the northern crater is never made explicit. The Sephiroth that you spend most of the game chasing isn't the real dude since he's in a huge crystal the whole time, but how they go shapeshifting into the Jenova fights I don't think is ever addressed.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you are looking at only FF7, then he is at best someone who goes a bit nuts and burns down an entire village and murders a bunch of people before falling into the lifestream where he remains for the entirety of the game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean he slaughters everyone in Shinra HQ and on the Shinra Cargo Ship. They have good reason to fear him.

Then he stops by the Gold Saucer and has a friendly chat with Dio which the nice buff man in his underwear tells Cloud in a P.S..

FFVII.

By 'him' I meant Cloud and SOLDIER in general. Everyone knows Sephiroth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

It's never quite clear, hence all the theories. What we know: Sephiroth was a cool guy until he found out he was an abomination of science. Then he went berserk and gets tossed in the lifestream. The relationship between Jenova and the Sephiroth that washes up in the northern crater is never made explicit. The Sephiroth that you spend most of the game chasing isn't the real dude since he's in a huge crystal the whole time, but how they go shapeshifting into the Jenova fights I don't think is ever addressed.

jenova is literally the Thing, any individual part of her no matter how small is effectively a fully capable copy of jenova herself. it's why jenova-cell injection results in identity death, because jenova's rudimentary intelligence still exists in the cells and hijacks the host's brain

the "sephiroths" (plural) cloud encounters are just little wriggly bits of jenova that sephiroth's corpse is remote-piloting from the northern crater, recreating them in his image using her shapeshifting abilities, but when he decides to go on the attack he shifts the jenova pieces into full-on replicas of the original organism, ie Jenova BIRTH, LIFE, and DEATH

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 6, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What a confusing guy this Sephiroth is!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
In conclusion, Sephiroth is a man of contrasts.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like the confusion arose due to the fact they never make explicit that Sephiroth (that is the real one stuck in an ice cube) was guiding all of the Jenova/Fake Sephiroths you chase around and kill up until the final one in the North Crater

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

I feel like the confusion arose due to the fact they never make explicit that Sephiroth (that is the real one stuck in an ice cube) was guiding all of the Jenova/Fake Sephiroths you chase around and kill up until the final one in the North Crater

except every time you fight him, it ends up being Jenova...and he flies around like a ghost.

e: nvm, read that wrong. Agreed.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
sepiroth wears orthopedic underwear because of his weird balls and thats why he goes mad

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The materia he flings at you is actually his prosthetic ball.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I always wondered how he was able to pull a bunch of Jenovas out of his pocket then vanish. This is all starting to make a lot more sense now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Because you are....

A puppet.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Elentor posted:

I think by the time of FF7 the Jedi Order is basically extinct. SOLDIERs were some unfathomably powerful force that did literally fantastical work, they were an army of Captain Americas. The war is over, Sephiroth went crazy and MIA, their reputation was probably tarnished outside of the inner circle.

Cloud tries to convey to others just how powerful Sephiroth is, because he doesn't think the reputation does it justice. In all likelihood the new grunts have no idea what SOLDIERS were capable of.

The first thing we see Sephiroth killing on-screen is a mythological creature, we had seen weird FF designs but nothing like a full-fledged Dragon.

Arent some of the Shinra enemies you fight in game SOLDIERs?

And there's one guy in Junon studying to become a SOLDIER. The latter could just be Cloud hallucinating though.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

DeathChicken posted:

Holy poo poo i never realized this. I just thought you know, magic n poo poo, whatever.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Dyz posted:

And there's one guy in Junon studying to become a SOLDIER. The latter could just be Cloud hallucinating though.

You fight a few second and third class ones in the Shinra building.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

jenova is literally the Thing, any individual part of her no matter how small is effectively a fully capable copy of jenova herself. it's why jenova-cell injection results in identity death, because jenova's rudimentary intelligence still exists in the cells and hijacks the host's brain

the "sephiroths" (plural) cloud encounters are just little wriggly bits of jenova that sephiroth's corpse is remote-piloting from the northern crater, recreating them in his image using her shapeshifting abilities, but when he decides to go on the attack he shifts the jenova pieces into full-on replicas of the original organism, ie Jenova BIRTH, LIFE, and DEATH

I always thought the sephiroth you were chasing was just the headless body of jenova that escaped Shinra HQ, and everytime you beat it you cut off a piece of it.

I like this explanation better though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Some 1st class around Midgar in the last act too yeah.

I think it's as simple as Shinra ruling the world after Wutai caved so they don't really their super soldier program anymore, especially since everyone who mattered in it went rogue in like the same year.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sneak Lemming posted:

From what I can gather, there seems to be contradictory lore from the different games? Like how exactly does Zack die, was he gunned down or was it a missile from a chopper?

I'm going to defer to original VII and say he got shot, though that anime adaptation where a sniper gets him is good too.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 6, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna re-read the Elentor lp and I forgot how amazing the fanart was.

Cloud Five Aces. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There are First Class Soldiers in the return to Midgar as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dyz posted:

I always thought the sephiroth you were chasing was just the headless body of jenova that escaped Shinra HQ, and everytime you beat it you cut off a piece of it.

I like this explanation better though.

thinking about it further i believe we're both right, the sephiroth that cloud pursues is the jenova body that was in containment, but it periodically yanks a piece off itself, throws it at cloud et al and goes "MAKE MY MONSTER GROW"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The only way I'll accept a Vagrant Story remake is if they uncouple it from the world of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sephiroth was basically made to be a super soldier from birth, only he was injected with evil alien DNA to make that happen. He spends his whole life superior to everyone else as a result of it, and loses a number of the figures in his life that he liked (like Dr. Gast) resulting in him being largely alone. By the time he gets to Nibelheim, he seems to be starting to get along with Zack.

But then he finds out he might not be human and goes apeshit, incorrectly believes himself to be a descendant of an ancient tribe of people (to the point that many characters within Shinra itself also believe this is true), and then winds up falling into the Lifestream and becoming an iceberg.

Fortunately, on the way down, he fused with the evil alien (he found her head lying around), so he can send her body parts around to take his shape and do things for him.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Spoilers :siren: , obviously (it says so right in the tweet), but for those who don't care…

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1235989010193043457

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dyz posted:

Yeah but that's the point, unlike in the remake there's no single SOLDIER assigned to you. The ones you fight are more nameless than the turks.

The age of heroes by that time was over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How isn't there a full voice cast list out yet? Films have their cast released months or years ahead of time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

How isn't there a full voice cast list out yet? Films have their cast released months or years ahead of time.

(Because voice acting isn't treated seriously, particularly video game voice acting)

We do know Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie's VAs though, among a few others.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Arist posted:

(Because voice acting isn't treated seriously, particularly video game voice acting)

We do know Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie's VAs though, among a few others.

I keep seeing that Matt L Jones is Wedge listed everywhere, but the only thing "official" I can find is him saying it's not him on his Twitter in 2015.

https://twitter.com/mattjonesisdead/status/674488496560713728?lang=en

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's probably more to it than that, though, like some weird contract thing. As someone who's into voice actor trivia, it can get complicated. Like, for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime, the English voice actors seemingly weren't allowed to reveal that they were even in it until their names appeared in the credits when an episode aired on Toonami.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Yeah, I just checked IMDB and holy moly Jessie's VA is pretty

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nail Rat posted:

I keep seeing that Matt L Jones is Wedge listed everywhere, but the only thing "official" I can find is him saying it's not him on his Twitter in 2015.

What the heck

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nail Rat posted:

That's bizarre if it's indeed in reference to this because it sounds exactly loving like him

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Arist posted:

That's bizarre if it's indeed in reference to this because it sounds exactly loving like him

It has to be in reference to this because this is 4 days after the PS Experience trailer where Wedge's voice was shown the first time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nail Rat posted:

It has to be in reference to this because this is 4 days after the PS Experience trailer where Wedge's voice was shown the first time.

Okay, now I'm even more confused, because I don't think this trailer, which I totally forgot about, even has the same voice actors as the final game. It's almost certainly not the same Barret, and I'd be surprised if it's the same Wedge.

e: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cloud is different too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Way back then, I think they were showing it with the old FF7 voice actors. I think when Square took over the project and ditched Cyberconnect they decided to recast the whole game (I'm glad, the new Cloud sounds great). Wedge is definitely voiced by Badger. Some people think Don Corneo is Mark Hamill but there's been no confirmation on that one.